PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Vampyr
07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Trailer debuted yesterday. Watch it here in HD:

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/27063/main

It looks really great, actually. The boy playing young Voldemort is actually Ralph Fiennes (guy who plays Voldemort) nephew.

BreakABone
07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Thus far the movie looks better than the book.

And didn't post here because didn't think many Potter fans were left here.

jeepnut
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
It can't possibly be a worse movie than the fifth, right? RIGHT?!? I sure hope not.

I think there are more Harry Potter fans than many realize on this board. I'm rereading Deathly Hallows now by the way.

Vampyr
07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
It can't possibly be a worse movie than the fifth, right? RIGHT?!? I sure hope not.

I think there are more Harry Potter fans than many realize on this board. I'm rereading Deathly Hallows now by the way.

I actually really liked the fifth one. I can see how people could complain, but I only watches these movies to see the scenes from the book glorified on screen, I'm not watching for the story or plot, since I already know it by heart. So it's really fine with me if all the movies are are a collage of the book scenes.

jeepnut
07-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I actually really liked the fifth one. I can see how people could complain, but I only watches these movies to see the scenes from the book glorified on screen, I'm not watching for the story or plot, since I already know it by heart. So it's really fine with me if all the movies are are a collage of the book scenes.

A good number of those scenes were not in the book or were drastically changed, almost always for the worst in my opinion.

GameMaster
07-31-2008, 07:03 PM
I can barely remember what happens and when stuff happens in the Harry Potter world. I need to go back and revisit the books.

And I never finished book 6 or started book 7. *embarrassed*

Jason1
07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
People still care about this crap?

uber_paddler
07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
A good number of those scenes were not in the book or were drastically changed, almost always for the worst in my opinion.
Yup, that was my biggest issue with the movie. The source material is already great, no need to go changing stuff around like that.

KillerGremlin
08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
All the movies have been terrible. But, they are catering to the audience that nets the most money, which isn't the college-aged crowd that likes their movies as close to the book as possible. It's all about the mola.

Storm Eagle
08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
People still care about this crap?

Sure. Just like how you care about certain crap that others wonder why anyone would care about.

Harry Potter may be over, but I'm still a fan. Anyway, at least I wasn't one of those people clamoring for an eighth book. I mean after all, the end is the end.

jeepnut
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Sure. Just like how you care about certain crap that others wonder why anyone would care about.

Harry Potter may be over, but I'm still a fan. Anyway, at least I wasn't one of those people clamoring for an eighth book. I mean after all, the end is the end.

I probably wouldn't mind seeing some adventures about the adult Harry, but I'm happy with the way the story ended and I see no reason for another Harry Potter story. I could see her telling another wizard/witch story with a different main character since she put so much effort into creating this other world that it would be a shame to let it disappear.

Storm Eagle
08-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I probably wouldn't mind seeing some adventures about the adult Harry, but I'm happy with the way the story ended and I see no reason for another Harry Potter story. I could see her telling another wizard/witch story with a different main character since she put so much effort into creating this other world that it would be a shame to let it disappear.

But is it really necessary? It's not like the legacy still doesn't live on. How could it possibly disappear as long as there are still fans?

I mean, it's bad enough that there were fiends out there coming up with petitions to convince her to write more books.

Seth
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I couldn't bother myself with the 7th book, not after that 6th travesty.

BreakABone
08-03-2008, 03:11 PM

I didn't like the 6th book either, but I would read the 7th just to give it closure.

And maybe its just me, I was less of a fan of the movies that stuck to the book (1 and 2) then those who decided they would be a movie based on the books.

Still think 3 is the best followed by 2.

Null
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I didn't like the 6th book either, but I would read the 7th just to give it closure.

And maybe its just me, I was less of a fan of the movies that stuck to the book (1 and 2) then those who decided they would be a movie based on the books.

Still think 3 is the best followed by 2.

movie wise. 1 is my favorite. followed by 5 or 3. either or i loved those.

4 to me is my least favorite movie. not that its bad or anything. i just wasnt really interested in the whole wizard tournament thing.

BreakABone
08-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Well now my list of anticipated movies drops to one.

BURBANK, Calif. - Warner Bros. Pictures on Thursday announced that it has moved back the release date of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" to summer 2009.
The sixth installment of the blockbuster Harry Potter franchise will now open July 17. It was originally scheduled to open Nov. 21.
"Like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers' strike. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July," said Alan Horn, president and chief operating officer.
"The release date change does not alter the production schedule for this or future Harry Potter films. The studio's release plans for the two-part 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' will not be affected by this change," said Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group.

Vampyr
08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, saw this a bit ago on TV. Very sad.

But we have Twilight to watch in December! Vampires!

jeepnut
08-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I much prefer fall releases for HP movies to summer releases. They seem to fit better in the fall. This is a shame.

Bube
08-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Damn, that's almost a year from now! How can you come to this decision 3 months before the release of the movie?

I agree with jeepnut, being dark and atmospheric, it's more suited to being released in the fall instead of the "hey, let's go to a comedy movie!"-summer.

manasecret
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
All the movies have been terrible. But, they are catering to the audience that nets the most money, which isn't the college-aged crowd that likes their movies as close to the book as possible. It's all about the mola.

That's an over-generalization. I'm of the college-age crowd, so is Vampyr, and I don't care at all if they change the plot around.

Well, I guess I can't say I don't care at all. But I've read all the books, and by the time the movie version of the book comes out, it's been two years since I read the book. By then I've forgotten all the details, so as long as the movie follows generally the story of the book in broad strokes, I don't care about the details of the scenes. I'm one that never took Harry Potter that seriously, just read them for fun because they were always interesting detective novels. Trying to figure out who did what before it was revealed, only to find out all of the clues were right there for you to figure it out, that's what I loved. But keeping true to the details of each scene from the book? Meh.

LOTR, on the other hand, I take a little more seriously. But even with that, changing some scenes doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when they change some of the meaning of the book, or what I interpreted as the meaning of the book.

Vampyr
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
That's an over-generalization. I'm of the college-age crowd, so is Vampyr, and I don't care at all if they change the plot around.

Well, I guess I can't say I don't care at all. But I've read all the books, and by the time the movie version of the book comes out, it's been two years since I read the book. By then I've forgotten all the details, so as long as the movie follows generally the story of the book in broad strokes, I don't care about the details of the scenes. I'm one that never took Harry Potter that seriously, just read them for fun because they were always interesting detective novels. Trying to figure out who did what before it was revealed, only to find out all of the clues were right there for you to figure it out, that's what I loved. But keeping true to the details of each scene from the book? Meh.

LOTR, on the other hand, I take a little more seriously. But even with that, changing some scenes doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when they change some of the meaning of the book, or what I interpreted as the meaning of the book.

Exactly. What makes a book good isn't what makes a movie good. They aren't making "Harry Potter the movie the book", they're making a movie based on the book. They want to be true to the novel, but they also have a separate responsibility to make the best movie they can.

Perfect Stu
08-15-2008, 02:21 PM

I didn't enjoy the 6th much either...but you owe it to yourself to read the 7th. It's arguably the best in the series.

Bube
08-15-2008, 04:19 PM
The biggest problem with the HP movies is that they're too disconnected. You see something happen, then, with a very sharp transition, you see something else happen. It's like a dozen short movies strung together.

BreakABone
08-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I didn't enjoy the 6th much either...but you owe it to yourself to read the 7th. It's arguably the best in the series.

Same way actually.

I read the 7th book twice in one week. It kind of drags in the middle (the camping sections) but other than that good stuff.

uber_paddler
08-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Same way actually.

I read the 7th book twice in one week. It kind of drags in the middle (the camping sections) but other than that good stuff.

Yup, that was easily the worst part. It all just seemed so unnecessary.

thatmariolover
08-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Exactly. What makes a book good isn't what makes a movie good. They aren't making "Harry Potter the movie the book", they're making a movie based on the book. They want to be true to the novel, but they also have a separate responsibility to make the best movie they can.

I could respect that excuse if it was the case for Harry Potter. But usually it's not. They change things unnecessarily, like which character says what line for absolutely no reason. That bothers me.

And while I also understand that certain things need to get cut, I personally feel that whoever's deciding what gets cut is doing a bang up job on scene priorities.

jeepnut
08-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I could respect that excuse if it was the case for Harry Potter. But usually it's not. They change things unnecessarily, like which character says what line for absolutely no reason. That bothers me.

And while I also understand that certain things need to get cut, I personally feel that whoever's deciding what gets cut is doing a bang up job on scene priorities.

Agreed. Like in the 5th movie where the death eaters are chasing them through the prophecy room and they start disappearing and reappearing in clouds of smoke. WTF? The only reason to do that is to introduce a pointless special effect.

Teuthida
11-16-2008, 02:55 AM
http://wbads-18.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbmovies/halfbloodprince/trailer/Champion_D_Lg.mov

Looking good. Shame we could have been watching it this month.