PDA

View Full Version : After-workout power drink

Dyne
07-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Ok, so this is bit of a typhoid thread. But anyways, I'm drinking this delicious after-workout concoction. Every year, my mom makes this delicious, fruity banana-pineapple-orange slushie which we put in cups and pour club soda into. With a shot of grenadine, it's delicious.

So, I made one today, and on the back of this soy Protein Powder container, it says to mix into your favourite beverages. So I did. And the result is strangely delicious. It's fruity AND chocolately and hazelnutty. :mischief:

What weird things have you come up with, that turned out to be strangely delicious?

Yoda9864
07-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Mmmmmm.....

Vampyr
07-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Chocolate milk is he best post-workout drink. :) Maybe with some chocolate whey protein powder in it.

Dyne
07-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Chocolate milk is he best post-workout drink. :) Maybe with some chocolate whey protein powder in it.

Yeah, that's what I've had previous nights - just 240ml/a cup of milk with the 80 grams of protein powder in it. It's a real bitch to stir in, but it's really good, especially now that I get a little heartburn because I'm working out at night rather in the morning. It's delicious and mellow. :cool:

I think Chai tea would work really well too.

Typhoid
07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
A Typhoid thread?
Thanks a lot, Phil. Hahaha.

That sounds really good actually, though.

I make this milkshake from time to time, you put ice cream, milk, the thin mint girlguide cookies, a couple tablespoons of strawberry jam, and a little bit of syrup in the blender, and blend.

It comes out tasting like heaven.

Jason1
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Ive been working out on my Total Gym Chuck Norris style lately. I'll usually mix protien powder with milk afterwards. I used to mix it with a spoon which didnt work very well, but we recently got a blender so I use that now. I do wonder though, does protien powder really give you bigger muscles?

The Germanator
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I tend to just drink some black iced coffee after I work out. Maybe a bottled protein smoothie, but I usually drink that before I go run.

A strange alcoholic concoction I once made was called "the Log Cabin." It involved putting whiskey into a shot glass and pouring in a bit of maple syrup and then putting it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. It was okay.

Only later did I find out that there is already a "Log Cabin" drink which is something like this...

- 2 1/2 oz whisky (whiskey,bourbon...)
- 1 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange soda (orangina, fanta...)

The second one might be better, sounds kind of good actually...

KillerGremlin
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Fruit smoothies rock. I haven't used any protein supplements in a while...I haven't really been trying to build mass, it's already there. Blueberries are full of goodness, I recommend making something with them.

Angrist
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't take any special or extra stuff when I'm working out. But then again, I don't want to be a tank.

Jonbo298
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't take any special or extra stuff when I'm working out. But then again, I don't want to be a tank.

Me neither :lolz: I just want to be slimmer then I have been for 23 years now. Granted, I am doing resistance in addition to cardio, but I personally don't feel the need to look...weird I guess. Just not something for me. Slimmer, some muscle, but I don't want to overdo it for myself.

Seth
07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
I use hempseed for the majority of my protein intake. I used to buy whey but that shit is garbage. They used to throw it away until they found out people would actually consume it.
Hempseed hearts have the perfect ratio of omega-3 and omega-6's. I usually mix it in with some frozen bananas and other frozen fruit. I also have this organic coconut powder which tastes supa fine along with raw sugar cane for sweetener. I also use a little bit of rice protein powder. I'm a raw food vegan but I haven't had any problem with protein intake so far. I also make almond/brazil/hazelnut/walnut milk which is super high in protein and fat.

Jason1
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I use hempseed

...I'll bet you do...

ahem, all kidding aside, what exactly is this "hemp" and where can I get some?

The Germanator
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
I use hempseed for the majority of my protein intake. I used to buy whey but that shit is garbage. They used to throw it away until they found out people would actually consume it.
Hempseed hearts have the perfect ratio of omega-3 and omega-6's. I usually mix it in with some frozen bananas and other frozen fruit. I also have this organic coconut powder which tastes supa fine along with raw sugar cane for sweetener. I also use a little bit of rice protein powder. I'm a raw food vegan but I haven't had any problem with protein intake so far. I also make almond/brazil/hazelnut/walnut milk which is super high in protein and fat.

All if this sounds delicious! Where do you get all those "nut" milks? We have almond around here, but where do you find the others? I guess good health-food stores probably have them, but they can be few and far between.

Raw food vegan...hardcore.

GameMaster
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Nothing like a good Gatorade after a work out. Mhmm...

manasecret
07-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I loooooove Smoothie King smoothies. But I'm usually too afraid to try any of their hundred concoctions that I haven't had before, because it could easily end up as a $7 cup of crap I don't want. However I was adventurous today, and tried their Go Goji concoction, and I'm damn glad I did. A new favorite. But they're not usually something I have after a workout. I usually just drink water after a workout.

A great alcoholic drink a friend and I came up with includes three things

1. Jack
2. Coke
3. Splash of Bailey's Irish Cream

It's called "Jack-Off in Coke". You can either stir the Baileys or leave it as is, a splash of white milkyness.

Seth
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
...I'll bet you do...

ahem, all kidding aside, what exactly is this "hemp" and where can I get some?

http://www.perfectfood.ca/hempseednutrition.html

I buy a 5 gallon bucket at a time and split it with the family.
Manitoba Harvest has the best tasting, overall best stock. http://www.manitobaharvest.com/cartshop/productlist.asp?start=21

Nut milk: What I do is take about a cup of nuts..whatever ones you want i guess, and let them soak in a jar overnight. Then in the morning i fucking blend them all up with 4 cups of water in my industrial blender type thing. Then I strain a lot of the pulp out so it isn't so fibery, and ad a bit of organic maple syrup. way better for you then soy and tofu milk.

Jason1
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
75 dollars? Im not made of money...

Vampyr
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
75 dollars? Im not made of money...

Eating healthy isn't cheap.

Dyne
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
5 gallons is like 5 jugs of milk worth. I think that $75 would get one person a hell of a lot of mileage.

Dyne
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
I went to go find Hemp Seed today at my store, but there was nothing in the Natural section but Flax seed. I figured it's just as good with Omega3's. I just put two tablespoons in my yogurt and it was delicious.

It's funny, though, a few cities over at my girlfriend's store, they have Hemp Seed. What's up with that? Did I not look hard enough? Hahaha.

Seth
07-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Health food store? like Nature's Fair?
Flax seed is amazing. When you buy it try to find it in bulk and organic if possible...but whatever. I like buying the seed bulk and then grinding it up and putting it salad,cereal,etc. Flax doesn't have near th same nutrients as hemp. And honestly, that isn't too expensive for a 5 gallon of hempseed. You seriously can't eat too terribly much in a day. Lots of fiber. If you're serious about getting healthy then a cleanse is in order. I went on one back in early spring and I've never felt better. It's hard not eating for 10 days but it's like, speed or something. I can tell you about it if you want.

KillerGremlin
07-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Does all this organic food that is high in fiber give your digestive system a run? It all sounds delicious, but high fiber stuff has been known to give me gas.

Perfect Stu
07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
The healthiest I've ever been was drinking water whenever I can and lots of gatorade after working out hard. I'm not into supplements...just Omega 3.

Vampyr
07-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Gatorade is way over rated. Like I said before, chocolate milk is the best after workout drink.

Perfect Stu
07-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Gatorade is way over rated. Like I said before, chocolate milk is the best after workout drink.

I'll never claim it's the best for you...but it does its job and I'm addicted to the taste after sweating like crazy. You don't need to go with the absolute scientifically-proven best beverage...you just go with something that works for you.

Bond
07-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Health food store? like Nature's Fair?
Flax seed is amazing. When you buy it try to find it in bulk and organic if possible...but whatever. I like buying the seed bulk and then grinding it up and putting it salad,cereal,etc. Flax doesn't have near th same nutrients as hemp. And honestly, that isn't too expensive for a 5 gallon of hempseed. You seriously can't eat too terribly much in a day. Lots of fiber. If you're serious about getting healthy then a cleanse is in order. I went on one back in early spring and I've never felt better. It's hard not eating for 10 days but it's like, speed or something. I can tell you about it if you want.
I am interested in how one would transition from a "normal diet" to the kind of diet that you are talking about. It seems as though it could be dangerous if not done correctly. Maybe dangerous isn't the right word, but hopefully you know what I mean.