PDA

View Full Version : Longest You've Been Awake

BreakABone
07-05-2008, 01:21 AM
I am working my first overnight shift right now and also work the morning shift.

So at the end of my shift tomorrow/later day I would have been up a grand total of 34 hrs (assuming I go to bed when I get home)

Oddly enough, never pulled an all-nighter in college once. :lolz:

Vampyr
07-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Back on some high school trips, I stayed up for around 50-some hours.

Haven't pulled any all nighters in college, yet. It's usually pretty unnecessary as a CS major, since programs are due at midnight the night of the due date, and if you miss the deadline, turning it in at 12:01 is the same penalty as turning it in two days later.

I've been working on something due and missed the deadline, and just went to bed. :)

The closest I've ever came was writing a Chemistry lab report. I was up till about 4 in the morning, and had class at 8. I overslept and didn't wake up until 8, so I had to run to class since anything after 8:15 had a big penalty.

I ended up dropping that class a few days later since I decided I didn't want to do something in the chemistry field. Talk about a waste of effort. :(

gekko
07-05-2008, 02:20 AM
Was up for 56 hours in Iraq once. Bunch of bad luck in a row, missions got extended, new ones popped up, all chained together. Needless to say, I was barely functional at the end, and we finally had a 30 minute break before the next mission, so we all went to sleep. Woke up about 12 hours later, still exhausted, to find out the mission was canceled. Thank God.

I do enjoy being awake at night, for the calmness and silence, but I value my sleep, and don't place any value in ruining my sleep schedule for the sake of browsing the internet or playing games.

Sorry you're getting screwed at work. I'm going to go to bed now and get some rest. :D

BreakABone
07-05-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm getting screwed big time here.

Figured I could catch a quick nap or something.

But a damn resident doesn't want to go to his bed.
And in no hurry to nap in front of them. They will use it against you.

And not many people up at this hour.

Teuthida
07-05-2008, 03:13 AM
In college for a period of time I would only sleep every third day. Used to hallucinate from sleep deprivation.

I just worked for 48 hours straight from Tuesday to Thursday (if you don't count the few minutes I passed out on the floor) trying to make a deadline I didn't make. Did some crap work during that time which I have to now redo this weekend. Staying up for that long by itself is one thing, but drawing nonstop for that long hurts the head...and hands...and back...and eyes. Building some serious calluses on my fingers. Probably will sleep soon. Don't want another repeat.

Swan
07-05-2008, 04:17 AM
I heard about one art project for people who do comics.

Basically it is a 24 hour thing, where you are up for 24 hours, locked in one room. And you have to write and draw a comic over that time, with only 24 sheeets of paper. So you should have 24 pages at the end. One page per hour........try it

Bube
07-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I think I was able to go for 30 hours once. I was studying for a final, and finished my planned schedule at 5am. I didn't want to go to bed for just 3 hours of sleep and stayed up. But at lunch break, I fell asleep and didn't wake up until dinner.

Typhoid
07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
4 days.

BlueFire
07-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't remember the longest I've been awake, but all-nighters are practically my life in college... mostly because I procrastinate and I never learn from that mistake :p

I think one time freshmen year, I had an exam on a Thursday, 2 final papers on Friday and then I was flying out somewhere early Saturday morning and I was awake the entire time. Not too much fun.

Teuthida
07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I heard about one art project for people who do comics.

Basically it is a 24 hour thing, where you are up for 24 hours, locked in one room. And you have to write and draw a comic over that time, with only 24 sheeets of paper. So you should have 24 pages at the end. One page per hour........try it

I should now that I know I can actually draw for that long. Next 24 Hour Comics Day is in October. We shall see.

GameMaster
07-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I think I stayed up for 24 hours during a slumber party once. I felt like shit the next day but I guess thats the price I pay.

And since then, I've pulled numerous all-nighters (usually ending around 5 AM). I never seem to learn my lesson, But on a positive note, I do seem to work well under the impending crunch of a deadline. I know some people just can't work furiously into the night and next morning like that.

I really would like to try completing an assignment before the last minute though.

I've got something due on Tuesday so I'm going to challenge myself to either start it tomorrow or Monday before 5 PM.

BreakABone
07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
My body is sore and fatigued.
But I'm not sleepy.
spent nearly two hours trying to fall asleep.

So hr 36 here we come.

Yoda9864
07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Poor BaB :(

:)

Longest I've been up was about 65 hours during Trivia Weekend. My college used to host a 50 hour long trivia competition over the radio. 9 questions per hour with speed hours of 18 questions every 5 hours. It was a blast. My team for a couple years hijacked my house and we crammed in 25+ people (plus their computers) all with the goal of finding answers as fast as possible and calling them in.

Near the end of it, energy drinks and coffee did absolutely nothing and I stayed awake by jogging around the house once or twice an hour.

Other than that, overnighters during college weren't totally uncommon. Did a couple a semester at least. Nothing too new.

BreakABone
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Even with my early morning hrs and this new shift.

I still don't drink coffee or any caffeineted beverage to get my day going.

I settle for a nice delicious cup of OJ or apple juice to get the blood flowing.

And yeah hours 38 has pass.

Looks like gonna make it to 40 and then crash so can get up for work in the morning.

Fox 6
07-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I think the longest Ive been up is around 34 hours or so.

Swan
07-06-2008, 04:06 AM
I think maybe like....38 hours

BreakABone
07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
41 hrs. New personal best.
Though sounds were a bit more hyper in my head.
Woke up at midnight because I swore heard something calling me.

4 days.

I guess no one else is curious.
Why were you up for 4 days?
And what does one do?

KillerGremlin
07-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I think I did a run of 30-some hours one time. They say that eventually, if you stay awake for long enough, you start to drift in and out of light sleep without even being aware of it. And I believe it. If I go over a day without sleep I get into this really weird funk where everything starts to blur and I can't concentrate or hold a good conversation. It's kind of like that buzz you get before you become drunk, only with cold chills and in my case indigestion. Yeah, my digestive system doesn't like my sleep deprivation.

I think a more impressive record is how long have you all slept for. I think I've done 14 or 15 hours of sleep, totally awesome.

The Germanator
07-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd guess close to around 40-42 hours once in high school...I had a final video project for class that I decided to shoot and edit pretty much all in one night. Luckily I had a friend to help out but it didn't make the next day very much fun. I nearly fell asleep at a red light driving into school...Then almost fell asleep in different classes, but I made it to bed that night.

A few over nighters in college, but nothing too crazy. I'm usually in a situation where I never really have to stay up for 24 straight hours anymore, but I suppose I would if I was having a good time.

Angrist
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
My brother had a friend who had a cousin who stayed up on asparin for 60+ hours. He ended up in hospital and I think he never told his mother.

Longest I've done is probably from 4AM to 2AM or so, around 22 hours...
Last sunday actually was pretty long. 4AM to 12PM. We went mudflat hiking, it was awesome.

KillerGremlin
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
My brother had a friend who had a cousin

http://sf.startupweekend.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/o_rly.jpg

magus113
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I think it was 30 hours for me?