PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3 announced

Neo
05-09-2002, 12:54 AM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/358/358801p1.html

Today, between the lines of its fiscal report for the latest period, Konami TYO announced its lineup of titles for the coming year, including two noteworthy additions. We had already known about Suikoden III, Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, and new games in the Winning Eleven soccer series, but Silent Hill 3 and a revival of the classic Contra franchise are welcome new announcements.

TheGame
05-09-2002, 01:36 AM
I know it's coming to Ps2 and Xbox... I wonder if they got the ballz to release it on GCN though

Professor S
05-09-2002, 08:01 AM
I still don't understand why the Silent Hill series is so popular. I have played both for extended periods of time, mainly because so many poeple rave about them and I thought I was missing something.

I don't get it.

Its like Resident Evil without all that fun and suspense getting in the way...

But to each their own, I guess. I don't like games in the Mario universe and everyone thinks I'm nuts too. Meh.

Neo
05-09-2002, 09:37 AM
With Silent Hill you actually have to think about the plot. There's a lot of symbolism involved.

Resident Evil scares you through surprise, such as things crashing through windows. The fear in Silent Hill is created through more psychological means.

DeathsHand
05-09-2002, 02:43 PM
What neo said... The thing I liked about SH is after I beat it, I wasn't like "Wow, that's what happened... *puts game away in drawer*" I was like "I didn't fully understand that..." so I actually thought about some things, then played it again and again to get all the endings... and put more things together... and read plot guides... it's just got an AWESOME plot, IMO... confusing, yes, but that's part of the fun... you put some pieces together yourself... The game developer said in an interview that he wanted it to be that way... he wanted people to actually think about the plot after beating the game, and come to their own conclusions, kinda... and there are many different theories ranging from SH1 was kind of a "test" to harry because he never got to tell his daughter that she was adopted before he died (in the theory he died) in that car accident...

Another has to do with like some confusing stuff and harry being used as dhalia's pawn...

Anyways... After playing SH1, I really wanted to find out more about what happened in the town... like it's history... and in SH2, that's what they did... not through the main "Mary, are you really in this town?" storyline, but through other things... documents and pictures that tell of mass executions, some boat sinking in the lake, a plague or big disease thing...

Resident Evil has a pretty good storyline too like if you read it in plot guides... but they rarely even try to piece each one together and fully link together throughout each game... That's why like I play the games and think "Man, this game's story is kinda blah :unsure: " and then I read like a plot guide and it just seems so much more deep... why can't they make it like that in the actual game?

And also yeah what neo said about the scares... RE is about "BOO! hahaha gotcha!" scares... and SH is more atmospheric... creepy things like where's that noise coming from, where does this long hallway go... things that can kinda creep you out if you actually have an imagination :rolleyes:

Anyways... I hope that in SH2, there's more shifting between the two worlds than in SH2... and and and ummm it should take place over a larger part of town and it should be just a bigger game in general than SH1 or 2... it would be nice if there were a lot of whole new areas, but also some of the areas you've seen in SH1 or 2... Maybe even some of the areas that were blocked off in those games... I also hope that they explain Dhalia Gellespi's role more, since she seemed to play a major role in the first game's storyline (like with the cult and drug stuff), and then in SH2, Maria turns into something that looks a lot like Dhalia... like the clothes and stuff kinda... yep...

Professor S
05-09-2002, 03:52 PM
I enjoyed the atmospheric effects, but i found the rest of the game to be repetitive and dull.

Theres only so much atmosphere you can enjoy before you start asking yourself "Ok, so what ELSE is there to this game?"

If you are going to build a gaame around the plot, at least try and make me care about the plot.

DeathsHand
05-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
If you are going to build a gaame around the plot, at least try and make me care about the plot.

That's the thing, if you enjoy that kinda plot, you enjoy the game, pretty much... What's going on, what role does this person play in the whole dealy, why does harry keep waking up from a bunch of different things like they were just dreams, why does he keeps going into some alternate world, etc etc...

The plot isn't for everyone... it's not as straightforward and easy as "We gotta go find BRAVO team!" and then "ACK WE GOTTA GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" or "I have to find chris!" and then "Ok he's not here *runs*" ;)

But yeah it's all opinions... and IMO, I think SH2 getting so much buzz was a bad thing... SH1 had more of a "cult following" or whatever you'd call it... it wasn't a big game and it was competing in a genre that was ruled by RE... but a lot of the people who stumbled upon the game liked it... it was something "special" and it was nice to get another good survival horror game that wasn't in the RE series... and then SH2 comes along and everyone's like "Hey a bunch of people say that Sh1 rocked!" and it goes into more of the mainstream spotlight when really I don't think SH is a mainstream kinda game...

If you're looking to have a good, fun gaming experience, look somewhere else (I mean I'm not saying the game is BORING, IMO, but it's not just a big fun romp :D ), if you're looking for a more cliche storyline that's not as complicated, look somewhere else... but if you want a deep plot with lots of questions to be answered and a great atmosphere and stuff, then SH is for you... as long as you weren't drawn in by a bunch of hype ;)

I saw a commercial for the original SH and was just like "Oh man I gotta try this game" so I rented it... beat it... and immidiately said this is like twice as good as any of the RE games I had played up until then... And I rented it two more times I think... and then when it became greatest hits, finally bought it...

It's kinda like crouching tiger hidden dragon... I heard critics talking about it and they were like if you went to see it because you kind of "discovered" it on your own, you have a better chance of liking it than if you went to saw it because you heard so many people saying it's good... cuz if you hear so many people saying it's good and you go to see it, you kinda go with your arms crossed like "Ok yeah so what makes this so good, huh?"...

Yep...

bobcat
05-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Hey DH, I got the plot guide for SH2 (after I finished it) @ gamefaqs.com.

I gotta go now, I'll talk later.....

Professor S
05-09-2002, 06:44 PM
I actually like the original better than SH2. Any game that starts out with dead babies trying to kill you can't be all bad.:D