PDA

View Full Version : This Buds for Sale.

Fox 6
06-12-2008, 08:55 PM
$46 billion! Are the makers of Stella Artois going to be the new owners of Busch and Bud?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-06-11-bud-inbev_N.htm

The Germanator
06-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Either way, they'll still make crappy beer. I know some people like Stella, but I still think it's piss.

Dyne
06-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Really? I quite like Stella Artois. I think this would be a fantastic step forward for ANY american beer company.

Vampyr
06-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I realized he other day I just don't like beer.

Heineken is probably the best I've had, but I would prefer a good whiskey or rum any day. Beer is just watered down grossness. :\

Don't to mention you need to drink a ton of it to have any effect (if that's what you're going for), and that's just going to make you fat. And the people I know that drink will chug about 10 beers in an hour to get drunk.

It seems much more logical to do a few shots instead.

Aladuf
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Heineken is probably the best I've had, but I would prefer a good whiskey or rum any day. Beer is just watered down grossness. :\

Don't to mention you need to drink a ton of it to have any effect (if that's what you're going for), and that's just going to make you fat. And the people I know that drink will chug about 10 beers in an hour to get drunk.

I like beer :(

It tastes good to me!

The Germanator
06-12-2008, 09:51 PM

That's pretty much exactly how I felt about beer for the first two years in college. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I'd go to parties and be handed a PBR, Miller High Life, or Genessee Cream Ale..all very cheap and not tasty beers...Only untill I actually tried some good microbrews did I discover that beer could be delicious and not just "watered down grossness."

Still, in college, because my main goal was to be kind of drunk, I usually stuck to $11 handles of Bourbon or Vodka, or huge cheap jugs of wine. Beer took too long...

Fox 6
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Becks and Yanjing are my favourite beers.

flunkie44
06-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Beer? What's that?

DeathsHand
06-12-2008, 10:34 PM
That's pretty much exactly how I felt about beer for the first two years in college. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I'd go to parties and be handed a PBR, Miller High Life, or Genessee Cream Ale..all very cheap and not tasty beers...Only untill I actually tried some good microbrews did I discover that beer could be delicious and not just "watered down grossness."

Tell me about it... When I first started drinking, the list included Bud Light, Natural Light, Ice House, Pabst, Heineken, etc... None of which could be classified as anything close to tasty...
Blue Moon is the only decent, readily-available beer I've had...

I've yet to find a reliable source of bottled microbrew beers here in Arlington, but there is a bar that features a rotating lineup of all kinds of quality stuff on tap... And that's where you wanna be...
But you can't take the bar with you to private social gatherings!

As for hard liquor... I really can't stomach it in social situations...
Screwdrivers maybe...
But I'm slowly working my way through different varieties on a rare, stay-at-home-not-looking-to-get-wasted basis... Currently a bottle of Elijah Craig 12-year Bourbon occupies a slot on my DVD shelf...
It isssss... interesting...

jeepnut
06-12-2008, 10:41 PM
$46 billion! Are the makers of Stella Artois going to be the new owners of Busch and Bud?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-06-11-bud-inbev_N.htm

I sure hope not...

St. Louis does not need this.

birdman
06-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Beer? What's that?

Good man.

Angrist
06-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Your taste of beer can also change over the years. Six years ago I liked Grolsch (I don't think you have it there), it's a bit more expensive pint. Now I prefer a cheap brand, or one which is a bit more tasty and less bitter.

Heineken is decent. :) Do you have any other Dutch beers?

Fox 6
06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
We have Grolsch here , bunch of other stuff too. So many.....

Dylflon
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Grolsch is tasty and the sealing machanism is both ingenious and fun.

Angrist
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
You mean this mechanism?

http://www.deoudeflesch.nl/images/flessenloods/Beugelfles.jpg

Yeah it's nice. Really nice for when you're making beer yourself.

Didn't know you had Grolsch. How about Amstel? Bavaria? Alfa? I don't really like those. One of my favorites is Hertog Jan.

The Germanator
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I love the flip-top Grolsch bottles. Had those a bunch over in the U.K as it was much more common to find it.

We have Amstel...Bavaria and Alfa sound a bit more unfamiliar. I can't really remember what beer they gave us when we played in Amsterdam, but I love that city. I hope we come back in the fall.

Angrist
06-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I hope we come back in the fall.Don't forget to warn me. :) I'll probably visit you!

Jason1
06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
You people and your trendy tastes in beer. Obviously, people who like Bud Light are just mainstream idiots who also drive pickup trucks and live in the south.

I like american beer, so what? Also, lets not diss on the High Life...its the champaigne of beers you know.

jeepnut
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
You people and your trendy tastes in beer. Obviously, people who like Bud Light are just mainstream idiots who also drive pickup trucks and live in the south.

I like american beer, so what?

Amen brother. Preach it.

Fox 6
06-13-2008, 10:37 PM
American beers have their appeal I suppose, but you cant deny brewers that have been going since 1516....

flunkie44
06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Not lookin' good for A/B. :(

DeathsHand
06-14-2008, 12:07 AM

And obviously everybody who doesn't like Bud Light is a trendy hipster.
Hey, Blue Moon is produced by Coors...

Seems to me that cheap American beer vs. Micro brews is not unlike fast food franchises vs. local food joints...
Some are trash, some are trendy, and others are hidden gems of delicious wonder...

Fox 6
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Has anyone here tries Tuborg? It a good Danish beer. It was in a Simpsons episode once. How about Tuborg? 'The beer of Danish kings'.

jeepnut
06-19-2008, 02:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2J4e3qMjzs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2J4e3qMjzs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Inbev would never do a commercial like this and that's a damn shame. If this deal goes through, it would kill St. Louis and it would be a huge loss for the United States as a whole.

The Germanator
06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Haha...I'm not from St. Louis so I think that commercial is horrible. It's a terrible song, and I don't give a damn about the Cardinals. My friendly take, haha.

manasecret
06-19-2008, 04:02 PM

Or mainstream idiots who have no money in college (that was me). Or mainstream idiots who have no money after college. Or mainstream idiots who never went to college. Or just mainstream idiots. Not sure about the pickup trucks and living in the South part.

No I'm just being a dick. I say drink what you like, but unless you've tried the other "trendy" beers you don't know if you like 'em or not.

There's a pub in New Orleans who has a good selection of international beers, U.S. micro-brews, and then the Buds and Millers and so on. There was always one friend of mine that came along but always drank Bud Light, and I asked why he never tried in of the others. He said, "I like to drink domestic." I then reminded him the definition of 'domestic' and how most of the un-'domestic' beers in there were actually brewed in the U.S. He kind of gave me a blank stare.

And historically speaking, the Bud Lights and Miller Lites and so on out there, are far more trendy than the micro-brews and international beers popular now.

jeepnut
06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
I've had several different micro and macro brews both foreign and domestic. I love trying new beers. I just happen to also really like Budweiser products.

jeepnut
06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Haha...I'm not from St. Louis so I think that commercial is horrible. It's a terrible song, and I don't give a damn about the Cardinals. My friendly take, haha.

The subject matter is irrelevant. The simple point I'm trying to make here is that this is a company that has pride in it's hometown and chose to use it's advertising dollars to show that and to celebrate the achievements of a team that means everything to this city. Few billion dollar companies do that that I know of. And that will all disappear when Inbev takes over.

Oh, and I happen to like the song. It may be cock-rock, but it's catchy and gets me in the mood to drink a Bud. :D

flunkie44
06-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I got it, jeepnut. They don't understand. ;)

jeepnut
06-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I got it, jeepnut. They don't understand. ;)

Thank you Flunkie. At least someone feels my pain.

Pylon_Trooper
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.japan-infos.de/uploads/pics/shochu.jpg

I've been hopping into this stuff, learning to love it as my wife's old man is a stern drinker of it. Shochu...it's more stiff than sake, made from either sweet potato or barley. Japanese beer is pretty good, but this stuff doesn't leave you with a hangover. I won't build on my midsection by drinking it, either.

But, back home in Australia, I was a stern advocate of:

http://www.beerstore.com.au/beerstore/uploads/beerImages/Cascade_Premium_Large.jpg

...and...

http://www.madeinoz.com/Boabemium_Large.jpg

jeepnut
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Japanese beer is pretty good, but this stuff doesn't leave you with a hangover. I won't build on my midsection by drinking it, either.

Somehow, I don't believe that.

Pylon_Trooper
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Jeepnut, I've put it to the test. And it doesn't. It's what these Japanese folks all claim, and I didn't believe it at first. Sure won me over.