PDA

View Full Version : Euro Cup 2008

Angrist
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Anyone beside Bube and me watching it? At least I assume Bube watches it. :D

The Netherlands had a great match against Italy (world champions) yesterday. 3-0. And the funny thing was, I was watching Indiana Jones 2 at the moment. :p

The Germanator
06-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I love watching it here in the States as every game is actually televised on the ESPN family of networks. It's kind on at kind of awkward times (11:50 AM and 2:45 PM) of the day, but since I don't really have a real job, it's fine for me.

The only trouble is I don't really have a team to root for since I don't have too many connections with European countries. I usually try to root for the biggest underdogs though. I'm glad that Greece won as 150:1 shots last time, so maybe I'll root for them again. Though I really like Netherlands uniforms, haha. Orange is great.

Bube
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
lol, I was thinking about making a thread about this, but I just assumed nobody other than you would watch it :) But I guess you weren't either :p

We lost our first match 2-0 to Portugal (a surprise really - I was thinking along the lines of a 5-0 defeat :)) and don't play well at all.

After Turkey, I support The Netherlands (I always have for the last 10-12 years :)), but I was out last night and had to record and watch the game after I got home. Good thing I did. Very good match. And very good score :)

I'm glad that Greece won as 150:1 shots last time, so maybe I'll root for them again.

No. No Greece. They suck. :)

Seriously, they're very boring. Effective, maybe, but unbelievably boring football.

Fox 6
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Seriously, they're very boring. Effective, maybe, but unbelievably boring football.

Isnt it all? :P Just kidding.

Typhoid
06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I've been watching it.
But since the games are all at 9 or 12, it's hard when I work.

I did however just watch Spain kill Russia.
And here I thought that if Russia actually scored that shot that hit the post in the 22nd, the entire game would have been different.

I'm heading back downstairs to watch the Sweden game in a second, being Swedish and all - and considering Poland is a losing cause, and Ukraine isn't even there.

The Germanator
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
lol, I was thinking about making a thread about this, but I just assumed nobody other than you would watch it :) But I guess you weren't either :p

We lost our first match 2-0 to Portugal (a surprise really - I was thinking along the lines of a 5-0 defeat :)) and don't play well at all.

After Turkey, I support The Netherlands (I always have for the last 10-12 years :)), but I was out last night and had to record and watch the game after I got home. Good thing I did. Very good match. And very good score :)

No. No Greece. They suck. :)

Ah, I can see that...Who is a fun, scrappy underdog kind of team, then? Obviously I root for the U.S when we play, and I'd like to think we fit this category because we kind of suck....

Maybe I'll settle for Turkey.

Angrist
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I didn't expect much of the Dutch team, but they really showed some nice football in the match against Italy. So maybe keep your eye on them. :)
I don't know much about the rest... Oh, Czech Republic is a semi-underdog. Interesting football, been in a few quarter finales, but never won anything.

Bube
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Whoa, Greece was pretty bad today. Yes, I don't like them, but the few times they started passing to each other in their own half (one which went on for more than a whole minute) just drove me crazy. And Ibrahimovic's goal was unbelievable! :D

And Germy, we don't play that well, but if you want a challenge, go on and support us :) I hope we at least make it out of the group stages..

Typhoid
06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Turkey doesn't have a bad team.
They just don't have a good enough team to compete with the top tier teams.

Unlike my powerhouse of Ukraine.:(

Bube
06-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Turkey doesn't have a bad team.
They just don't have a good enough team to compete with the top tier teams.

Unlike my powerhouse of Ukraine.:(
it's actually quite the opposite. We've got quite a lot of good players, and when the team plays well, they play very well. The problem is our coach, IMO. He was good 10 years ago. He knows nothing now, with stupid player selections, substitutions and weak tactics.

Angrist
06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Haha, what a match: Turkey vs Switzerland. 0-1, 1-1, 2-1. I can't help feel sorry for Switzerland... they never won a match in a EC or WC. And now they're out of the game, in their own country.

Terrible rain, very weird gameplay, a goal in the last 2 minutes... Epic.

The Germanator
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, that was a fun match. The first half had some crazy play with the ball stopping as it was in the puddles in the field. That deflection was perfect for Turkey. Gotta feel bad for the Swiss considering they are the hosts, but they let Turkey roll on the counters, and it seems like that's how it goes sometimes...

Bube
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
You know the best thing about the match?

3 years ago, in World Cup 2006 qualifiers, we played against them, with the same referee. The ref, who gave some "weird" decisions against us, just like tonight, was the provocateur of the huge fight that happened after the match. And we had to play our Euro 2008 qualifying matches at home without spectators - and 2 of them in another country.

We got back at them. In front of their fans. They're out.

I don't care if we don't go on to the next round :D

Bube
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Sooo.. A 4-1 Netherlands victory over France. The Netherlands play unbelievable football!

And Robben's goal..it just can't be described.. Spectacular. :)

It looks like it's going to be a Netherlands - Portugal final. If they don't meet in the quarter or semi finals.

Angrist
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, great match. I think the French had more chances, but they missed all the time. We really used the few chances we got. :D

The Germanator
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, Henry missed a couple that I saw, but the Dutch are looking very good. The Romania game was interesting too.

The Germanator
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Czech Republic vs. Turkey! Wow! All I can say.

Angrist
06-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I just saw the last 3 minutes of the match. If that was any indication, the match was crazy.

Bube
06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I hate our team. They just can't play. The Czechs retreated into their own half in the second half and we just mindlessly attacked.

And if Cech hadn't dropped the ball and helped us score the second goal, we couldn't have done anything. I actually felt sorry for Cech, he's such a good goalkeeper...

But coming back from 2-0 to win an almost final-like game is unbelievable :)

The Germanator
06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
By the way, U.S won 8-0 over Barbados in World Cup qualifying. I don't think I've ever seen the U.S score that many and we aren't even that great. I felt bad for Barbados.

Bube
06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah, we scored 7 goals against San Marino some years ago. They were just getting their football team together, and we just thrashed them. Where's the fair play?

Angrist
06-17-2008, 04:46 PM
That was nice: The Netherlands won with the B-team. 2-0 from Romania, the team that France and Italy couldn't beat. :D

The Germanator
06-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Turkey! What the hell?

Angrist
06-21-2008, 06:35 AM
What a match... The first 90 minutes are the most boring ever. Even the extra time was terrible (they were just too tired). Then in the last 3 minutes 2 goals! And penalties! We all thought Croatia was through.

Now the Turks will be slaughtered by the Germans...

The Germanator
06-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Bye bye, Netherlands...Russia is quite the surprise...

Typhoid
06-21-2008, 05:56 PM
I only caught the extra time, and I was making french toast and just listening to it, but the extra 2 periods sounded pretty good.

bobcat
06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I had a gut feeling Russia were going to win.

Now Spain vs Italy, c'mon Italy win!!

Angrist
06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Haha, we're out. :D

This is how it often goes with the Netherlands. THey fail to perform when it's really needed.
I think they really underestimated Russia. "Haha, we owned Italy and France, we surely can manage Russia!"

Go Russia I guess. :) The only Dutchman in the running. :D

BlueFire
06-22-2008, 07:07 PM
wtg, Spain :)

bobcat
06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
d'oh

The Germanator
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Spain deserved it, though it was very close...Probably looking at Spain vs. Germany final, but the way upsets have been going, it will almost definitely be Russia v. Turkey...

Bube
06-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I was away and missed all the action in this thread :)

The Turkey match had me in different emotions. I was of course ecstatic, but when I think of the disappointment the Croatians suffered, I felt sorry for them.. I can't really say we didn't deserve it though, like the Czech match. We played a bit better this time.

I was also pretty disappointed when the Dutch were beaten..

And I don't think we'll be able to beat the Germans. :)

Angrist
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Nah, not with a team where the reserve-reserve keeper might have to play as a non-keeper... You just don't have enough players available! But I hope you win.

Just like I hope Russia will win. They deserved to defeat Holland. And Guus Hiddink is great.

A Russia - Turkey final will be epic.

Angrist
06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Awe, I haven't watched the match, but Spain is winning with 3-0.

Germany - Spain final, next Sunday.

BlueFire
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Agh, I missed the game. :(

The Germanator
06-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I had to miss both semi matches because I was too busy. No way in hell I'm going to miss this final though! Should be fun even though I wanted Turkey and Russia.

BlueFire
06-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Damnit, I'll be missing the finals as well because I'll be on the road coming back home! argh

...Let's go, Spain

Seth
06-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Deutschland wird die Spanier mit Bequemlichkeit hoffnungslos schlagen. :cof:

i don't think that makes much sense. Germany is the superior team.

Bube
06-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, no, actually. I want Spain to win it, and I think they will :) Germany don't play that well imo.

Typhoid
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
You know what, honestly - I'm going to watch the game, but I don't in the least bit even care who wins.

These are the only two teams, I don't care for at all. None of them spark any sort of emotion for me to even want to cheer for them.

However, I think the game can go either way.
As far as I'm aware, Spain has a relatively young team, who like to be exceptionally flashy with the ball - but on the other hand, Germany is really good at just flat out putting the ball in the net.

The Germanator
06-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Spain wins 1-0. They were probably the best team of the whole tournament, so they deserved it...Good for them, they haven't won in a while.

gekko
06-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Poor Germany :(

BlueFire
06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Yay, Spain :)

Angrist
06-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Doh, I missed it! Totally forgot about it. This afternoon I saw somebody reading a paper that said "Spain won deservingly".

I guess that's what Brawl does to you. :D