PDA

View Full Version : how do you like your blanquillo/huevos?

KillerGremlin
06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Breakfast is the best meal in the day, but I'm finding that as a college student I'll have breakfast for lunch and dinner. I really like eggs, they are incredibly versatile and yummy. I like my eggs runny with lots of yolk, I like to mush my eggs up with my hash browns and bacon. I think it's delicious. But, my absolute favorite eggs are poached eggs. Poached eggs are the eggs you get if you order Eggs Benedict, one of my favorite breakfast dishes. They are pretty hard to make at home, I've tried a few times. You take the raw yolk and whites, and you slide them just under the surface of water that is just about to boil. It's a lot of timing and coordination, and the water-salt mixture you are supposed to use makes is difficult. Usually my eggs just fall apart in the water in a stringy, white mess.

But anyway, what's your favorite style of eggs. And, if you want, what dish do you like them in.

I didn't include Omlet or its variations because unlike the above listed, a GOOD omlet isn't just made with eggs and milk. :p

The Germanator
06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm also going to go with poached, but as you said, it's hard to do for yourself so that's something usually just reserved for when I order some kind of benedict or florentine at a restaurant. If at home it's usually scrambled...

Best variation of Eggs Benedict I've ever had was a "California Benedict" in LA which involved poached eggs, hollandaise, avocado, spinach, and tomato. Very good.

Aladuf
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Scrambled all the way.

Fox 6
06-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Over easy. Yummers

uber_paddler
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
It's all about sunny side up.

GameMaster
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Scrambled with ketchup!

Dyne
06-02-2008, 04:42 AM
You can actually buy a poaching device for the microwave. It makes damn good eggs.

I have a hard-on for runny eggs. I pretty much creamed my pants when I learned my girlfriend's parents were getting chickens. I get fresh eggs from them a lot now and they are fucking fantastic. These are my favourite things to do with them:

microwave-scramble: 2-3 in a cup-bowl, mixed thoroughly with milk, with a little butter and salt. After 80 seconds + mixing + another 40 seconds, you have scrambled eggs without a cleanup. I love putting them in english muffins with cheese and bacon, or eating it straight with hot sauce.

Microwave over-easy: I know it's totally not healthy for me, but this is the quicket most orgasmic way I eat eggs. I put a sliver of butter in a cup-bowl, and crack a single egg in and poke the yolk with a fork. Then I microwave it for 40 seconds, and voila, runny eggs. I LOVE putting it on toast with cheese, or in random sandwiches, like with ham. Mmm.

Omelette: I'm a mean omelette-maker. Pretty straight-forward how they're made.

However, the absolute BEST use of eggs in a dish I've ever encountered was at this place called The Pantry, before they changed from a "diner-with-breakfast-lean" to "family restaurant". It's called a Waffles Benedict and my god it was orgasmic. Basically, they had an awesome waffle, and they'd poach four eggs runny, and then they'd put ham + cheese + poached runny egg + hollandaise sauce on the waffle, and you'd pour syrup on it and it was amazing. However, it got too popular and they had to take it off the menu. :( I haven't bothered trying it yet for myself. It's way too much work. Maybe one day!

KillerGremlin
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
You can actually buy a poaching device for the microwave. It makes damn good eggs.

I have a hard-on for runny eggs. I pretty much creamed my pants when I learned my girlfriend's parents were getting chickens. I get fresh eggs from them a lot now and they are fucking fantastic. These are my favourite things to do with them:

microwave-scramble: 2-3 in a cup-bowl, mixed thoroughly with milk, with a little butter and salt. After 80 seconds + mixing + another 40 seconds, you have scrambled eggs without a cleanup. I love putting them in english muffins with cheese and bacon, or eating it straight with hot sauce.

Microwave over-easy: I know it's totally not healthy for me, but this is the quicket most orgasmic way I eat eggs. I put a sliver of butter in a cup-bowl, and crack a single egg in and poke the yolk with a fork. Then I microwave it for 40 seconds, and voila, runny eggs. I LOVE putting it on toast with cheese, or in random sandwiches, like with ham. Mmm.

Omelette: I'm a mean omelette-maker. Pretty straight-forward how they're made.

However, the absolute BEST use of eggs in a dish I've ever encountered was at this place called The Pantry, before they changed from a "diner-with-breakfast-lean" to "family restaurant". It's called a Waffles Benedict and my god it was orgasmic. Basically, they had an awesome waffle, and they'd poach four eggs runny, and then they'd put ham + cheese + poached runny egg + hollandaise sauce on the waffle, and you'd pour syrup on it and it was amazing. However, it got too popular and they had to take it off the menu. :( I haven't bothered trying it yet for myself. It's way too much work. Maybe one day!

I share your love for runny eggs and microwaved eggs. I make egg-bagel-bacon-american cheese sandwiches all the time. Eggs + Bacon + Hashbrowns is my favorite easy-to-make casual breakfast dish.

What's the product that microwave poaches the eggs? That would be infinitely valuable to me.

Dyne
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
This one looks very similar to mine, which we got in a chinese kitchen store downtown:

http://easycookin.com/catalog/images/nordicware.eggpoacher.jpg

http://easycookin.com/catalog/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=565&reviews_id=12

I imagine it's not the exact same as on a stove, but then again over-easy microwave eggs aren't the same as in a frying pan. :D