PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about things that you like

Dyne
06-01-2008, 01:56 AM
This is just following from the Ultimate Question thread. But what kind of things do you specialize/find interest in?

We already know I like sunglasses. :D

I was just talking with KillerGremlin about watches, and I stumbled upon this one, which is the Goldeneye watch. I'm kind of tempted but it's way, way, way out of my price league.

http://www.epinions.com/content_215066775172

Typhoid
06-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I like Geography, Geology and Astronomy.
I'm un-modestly really good at those things, most likely because they interest me.

I like writing music, and have been known to miss work occasionally to work on a song.

I like discovering new music, sometimes I'll stay up into the wee hours of the night just to find new things.

KillerGremlin
06-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Here's a cool page with some of Bond's watches:
http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2006/11/james-bond-gadget-watch-history-q.html

Bond likes Rolex and Omega, but the digital Pulsar from Live And Let Die is very retro-cool.

Here's some more about Pierce-Bond's Omega:

http://www.chronocentric.com/omega/bond.shtml

Here's a wiki for the Omega Speedmaster, the only watch worn on the moon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster_Professional
Very cool, expensive stuff.

And here's the new Seiko being designed for use in the space station and during a spacewalk:
http://www.watchreport.com/2008/04/the-seiko-sprin.html

DeathsHand
06-01-2008, 02:38 AM
I like arranging things in alphabetical order, and therefore enjoy anything that is capable of being arranged as such...

Part of me in some way enjoys baking... Well, cookies... And only barely...

I make the chocolate chip cookies for the sandwich shop I work at.... So when bored at home one day, I decided to look up cookie recipes, and came across some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies... I make them every once and again; sometimes sans chocolate chips, but with a cinnamon spice glaze and freshly whipped cream...

I tried to branch out with a loaf of gingerbread, but it didn't turn out as edible...
Although I think that was mostly because I semi-burnt it...
Maybe someday I'll try to branch out again... Or simply find more cookie recipes...

And the previously mentioned (in other threads) photography... Which again, also struggles to really hold my attention, but it's about as close as I can get to a hobby...

BreakABone
06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I hate Dyne and Killergremlin.
Now interested in the watches. Though more of a fan of the Submariner from the older movies after looking at some sites.
The website Killergremlin posted is blocked at work so shall check it out later.

KillerGremlin
06-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I hate Dyne and Killergremlin.
Now interested in the watches. Though more of a fan of the Submariner from the older movies after looking at some sites.
The website Killergremlin posted is blocked at work so shall check it out later.

Hehe, watches are really addicting I have come to find out. Once you start researching some of the particular brands you always get sucked in that particular brand's high-end watches. And, usually someone will compare that high-end watch to another brand, so you go read about that watch too. I've been checking out watches for a little over a year now, and it's fun. It's been added to my list of ever growing research hobbies...computer stuff, phones, stereos, and now watches. Yay! Dyne has me interested in glasses now a little too. :p

BreakABone
06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
So other than this discussion of watches which shall have to bug KG or Dyne about.

I like the odd things here and there.
I enjoy writing and wrote a "novel" last November. I use novel in the loosest sense of the word, it was written at the most insane hours of the night with no editting in about 25 days. I have been too afraid to go back and read it. :lolz:

I enjoy comic books but most of you know that. I have an odd interest in the Batmobile (though not a car person in general) besides some websites, I also have a collection of different batmobiles from Hot Wheels to a remote control Tumbler around the house.

I like taking pictures but wouldn't say photography is an interest.

Bond
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I just bought a new watch today. Outgrew by old Fossil that I hadn't worn in about a year.

Decided on the affordable, but nice, Seiko:

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/954/205067954.jpg

gekko
06-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I have that exact watch. Love it. Simple, yet elegant. Plus it has a smaller face than most, which is nice because I don't enjoy having a flying saucer on my wrist.

Oh, and things I like... scotch and craft beer :D

Bond
06-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

On a side note, I am also in the market for a pair of sunglasses. I basically need a pair for my 40 minute commute to the hospital I'm working at this summer and also for sailing purposes when I go back to university. I would like them to be polarized, but I would also like to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations ... Dyne?

Fox 6
06-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Im actaully a fan of 20th century history, more specifically WWI, WWII, Russian Revolution, Vietnam, up through the cold war. Both Events and things like military tech.

KillerGremlin
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I have that exact watch. Love it. Simple, yet elegant. Plus it has a smaller face than most, which is nice because I don't enjoy having a flying saucer on my wrist.

You're in the Navy right? Do they issue you guys a watch?

BreakABone
06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.delldeaton.com/images/Rolex_Carrera-DB5_20060306%20011%20pc-crop%201000x750.jpg

Really large image.
But really nice watch.

The Germanator
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Never owned a watch...Maybe never will. Cell phone tells me the time.

flunkie44
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Is this the "talk about things you like" thread or the "talk about watches" thread? :p

Typhoid
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Sean likes Sean.
Sean likes everything to do with Sean.

gekko
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
You're in the Navy right? Do they issue you guys a watch?

Was in the Marines, been out for a year, and no issued watches.

BreakABone
06-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Sean likes Sean.
Sean likes everything to do with Sean.

BaB likes Sean's last name.
And contrary to what Dyne may think, I still don't see rapping. ;)

gekko
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Since this is the official watch thread, I was wondering... what do those 3 extra timers do on watches? Never could figure it out and trying to look it up just resulted in "You're an idiot and if you could afford such luxury you would know." It's like thanks, I'm obviously reading your "Intro to watches" article and you confirm I'm not an expert. Thanks... ass.

KillerGremlin
06-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Since this is the official watch thread, I was wondering... what do those 3 extra timers do on watches? Never could figure it out and trying to look it up just resulted in "You're an idiot and if you could afford such luxury you would know." It's like thanks, I'm obviously reading your "Intro to watches" article and you confirm I'm not an expert. Thanks... ass.

When you say "timers" are you referring to additional watch dials?

If you are, then typically, the 3 dials inside a watch are for a chronograph.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/Seiko_SND555P1_Chronograph.jpg/800px-Seiko_SND555P1_Chronograph.jpg

In the above picture, the top dial measures fractions of a second, the middle-left dial measures seconds, and the bottom dial measures minutes.

A chronograph is literally the analog equivalent to a digital stopwatch. Quartz chronographs are cheap, but the mechanical ones that don't rely on a battery are very pricey.

I have also seen the inner dials used for dates, hours, days of the week, moon phase, and all sorts of things. But, I think traditionally, it was for the chronograph.

Teuthida
06-02-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't like watches. Feels like a little robot trying to strangle my wrist in order to amputate my hand and bring it back to its robot queen in exchange for raffle tickets. (He'll never win that car.) But that's just me.

I'd be down for a pocket watch if my cellphone didn't tell me the time so well already.

GameMaster
06-02-2008, 01:43 AM
I wore watches in elementary school. I was one of those kids who lusted after calculator watches and the ones with little built in remote controls that could screw with classroom and public TVs. I don't care for them anymore. Same reason as Teuthida, my wrist just starts to feel constrained after a while. Maybe I just have never purchased a truly comfortable watch? I appreciate them as an accessory of fashion, however. If you're a business man and you're sporting a nice Armani suit, you're only halfway there. The other half is in that piece of bling you have on the wrist. ;-)

I've always been interested in trying one of those 'ultra-thin' watches made by Skagen. I have no idea where they rank on the list of respectable watch brand names though...

As for things I like now, at the moment I'm a TV show addict. It started probably about a year or two ago. I began buying seasons of shows on DVD from Amazon. And through there I discovered more shows primarily from the reviews other customers were leaving. I'm not talking about shit like 'According to Jim'. I mean the high caliber stuff. I watched most of HBO. Showtime. Some FX. A little AMC. And then the few gems on Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC.

Anyway, most of the shows I've watched have already been in production for a few years or have ended. So I go through these crazy marathons where I blast through 4-5 episodes every night until I'm fully caught up or finish the series in its entirety. I did that with House and LOST. I usually start around 12 AM and go until 4 or 5 AM (school permitting). I haven't had any classes earlier than 10 AM since I finished high school so it doesn't negatively affect my education. It has fucked my sleeping schedule up though. I normally wake between 12-2 PM. Even though I'm getting enough hours of sleep, I think the not sleeping at night has some bad effect on health. Like that's the time when your brain refreshes itself or something.

The great thing about TV series as opposed to movies is there so much more time to explore characters and develop them. It's hard to relate like that or feel attached to a character in a movie, unless it's a recurring character like Indiana Jones that gets more than one movie. Because you only get ~2 hours with them. Whereas with TV, you can have several years or several hours (depending on how you watch it). In some ways, I feel like its a more rewarding experience.

I guess I also like the serialized aspect of shows. That is, each episode building upon the prior one. Sometimes you have story arcs that span across a few episodes or an entire season. Its a lot more rewarding when you reach that final episode that resolves a long-spanning story or plot. In contrast to a show like The Simpsons, where it doesn't really matter what order you watch the episodes in.

I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Nip/Tuck. It was good. Now just like House, LOST, and the others, I'll have to wait a week for a new episode from now on. I've taken time to consider how this might affect my experience watching a show. Does watching an entire season in a few nights instead of over the course of ~9 months cause me to miss out? Perhaps I am unable to give each episode enough thought and appreciation before moving onto the next?

Last June I stopped working a part-time job so I've since sold all my seasons, and now rely on BitTorrent. I've already told myself that once I'm done with school and working full time and have money, I'll go back and buy them all on DVD again to show my support for the actors and crew who made the shows.

Edit: I was going to say that I'm too tired to start a new show immediately. But I'm compelled to dive into Entourage at the urging of Aladuf. And episodes 1 and 2 have completed downloading so why not? :D

Dyne
06-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

On a side note, I am also in the market for a pair of sunglasses. I basically need a pair for my 40 minute commute to the hospital I'm working at this summer and also for sailing purposes when I go back to university. I would like them to be polarized, but I would also like to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations ... Dyne?

Polarized unfortunately costs a pretty penny more than normal, but it's perfect for driving and sailing. It basically blocks the harm of reflections, which is especially important on the water.

The rule I always hear is "style before brand." You have to pick out a style you like before you start looking at specific brands and models. I like to ignore that rule, though. :D I mean, sunglasses are a fashion statement, and you should really be happy with what you look like in them.

This is the chart for face types / sunglasses, though. It's a good guideline.

http://www.unitedshades.com/en/choosing.htm

I remember you said you were interested in Persol 2720's. If you're still interested, I could find a great, authentic pair for you on eBay. If not, as long as you give me a model number and a name of sunglasses, I can usually hawk out some great deals. Depending on your price range.

I'm pretty good with eyeing most Luxottica brands' authenticity marks, but I wouldn't be as good with the huge brands like D&G simply because there is a million replicas of those going on ebay because they're all "high-fashion". Personally, I'd start in a Sunglass Hut and try on a bunch of different glasses there, and write down the styles/brands that you like the most. But don't look at the price, because those are very inflated and you might have a heart attack. :D

BreakABone
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Let's see if we can broaden this beyond the glasses haha.

Does anyone here collect stamps?
Something less boring like shot glasses?
http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f4/de/dd3d_1.JPG

At this point no one should be surprised I own these.

Aladuf
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I used to have a few shot glasses. idk where they are now :(