PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones and the Thread of Doom

BreakABone
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
As many of you probably know there is a new Indiana Jones movie due for release in a few short days. This will sort of act like the official discussion thread for that movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

But also in anticipation for the movie, I will be watching the original trilogy for the first time in full. (I've seen the first one and bits and pieces of the second) so it will also serve the purpose of being a discussion on the old movies for anyone who wants to talk about it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsDher-lVEY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsDher-lVEY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Also a remix of the theme that I enjoyed.

Angrist
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I saw the trailer of the new movie and it looked kind of crappy. Very cheesy. But I'll probably still see it in cinema. :)

Typhoid
05-19-2008, 04:57 PM
I saw the trailer of the new movie and it looked kind of crappy. Very cheesy. But I'll probably still see it in cinema. :)

Have you never seen the old Indiana Jones movies?!

They're all really crappy and cheesy.
That's the entire charm of them to begin with.

I love Indiana Jones, and I want to see this so much.

BreakABone
05-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Have you never seen the old Indiana Jones movies?!

They're all really crappy and cheesy.
That's the entire charm of them to begin with.

I love Indiana Jones, and I want to see this so much.

Then you can help or add stuff.

As a somewhat newcomer to the franchise, what is your order of preference for the movies?

I hear a lot of Raiders> Crusade> Temple

But curious if you hold that opinion as well.

Also did you know that Temple was a prequel to Raiders?

Typhoid
05-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Then you can help or add stuff.

As a somewhat newcomer to the franchise, what is your order of preference for the movies?

I hear a lot of Raiders> Crusade> Temple

But curious if you hold that opinion as well.

Also did you know that Temple was a prequel to Raiders?

Yes, I knew that it was set a year or two before Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I also know that this movie (Crystal Skull) takes place 18 or 19 years after Last Crusade, which explains the aging of Indiana Jones.

In all honesty, I like the movies in order they were released.
Although if you watch them in the order of Temple of Doom, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and then Last Crusade - that works too. Because you say "ooh" to a few more things. Nothing amazing or jaw-dropping.

GameMaster
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, I'm hoping Father Jones and Indy's on-again-off-again girlfriend will make cameos.

I'd also like to see Indy sexually conquer the bad girl in this movie.

Oh, and this movie must have a snake scene in it. Because its always so funny the way Indy reacts to his fear of snakes.

I'd also like to see Shia LeBeouf get punched in the face but I can't have my cake and eat it too.

BreakABone
05-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, I'm hoping Father Jones and Indy's on-again-off-again girlfriend will make cameos.
I know the chick from Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark is in this movie.

I'd also like to see Shia LeBeouf get punched in the face but I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Why the Shia hate?

Fox 6
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Hate Shia. "nononononononononnoNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Renwood
05-19-2008, 09:30 PM
First Kid Icarus, and now this.

All the things you thought were good were shit. You were just dumber then.

Angrist
05-20-2008, 02:58 AM
I've seen the trilogy probably around 5 times, I love it. Yes, maybe I've changed, I think the whole society is more critical than it was 15 years ago. Back then we just accepted movies as they were, now we're always trying to find something that could have been better.

BreakABone
05-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I've seen the trilogy probably around 5 times, I love it. Yes, maybe I've changed, I think the whole society is more critical than it was 15 years ago. Back then we just accepted movies as they were, now we're always trying to find something that could have been better.

I think you are.
I mean you are judging the movie based on the trailer.

The rest of us seem excited to see. :p

Jason1
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Okay, being a big fan of the series, I have been anticipating this movie for YEARS. Like, probably literally 8 to 10 years. I havent been this excited for a movie, ever.

Oh, and here is how I would rate the 3: Crusade>Raiders>Doom

The last crusade is the best.

Bube
05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I watched the movies when I was 5-6, and I had Doom on tape - so that made it my favorite. I'm watching the trilogy again after almost 15 years - Crusade is next, and they're as good as I remembered them. I can't wait for Crystal Skull!

GameMaster
05-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Well, Roger Ebert has seen the film and given it a 3.5 out of 4. Which is pretty good.

And as we all know, Ebert's opinion supersedes and invalidates all other opinions and scores including that of Rottentomatoes.

So we can close this thread now. Because the movie is good and nothing anybody can say changes that.

That means if someone you know walks out of the theatre and says, "Meh...I thought it was just okay..."

They're defective.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080518/REVIEWS/969461084

Jason1
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Man, im really thinking about going to a Midnight showing tonight, but I doubt I can get anyone to go with me...I might just wait until Saturday afternoon. We will see.

BreakABone
05-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Man, im really thinking about going to a Midnight showing tonight, but I doubt I can get anyone to go with me...I might just wait until Saturday afternoon. We will see.

Wait. When is this movie out?
I thought the midnight showings were from Thurs to Friday night.:confused:

Jason1
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Wait. When is this movie out?
I thought the midnight showings were from Thurs to Friday night.:confused:

Nope, the Movie releases May 22, which is tomorrow. A few theatres around here are having a midnight showing Tonight, which I guess is technically 12:01AM Thursday, May 22nd.

BreakABone
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Nope, the Movie releases May 22, which is tomorrow. A few theatres around here are having a midnight showing Tonight, which I guess is technically 12:01AM Thursday, May 22nd.

O ok that makes sense I guess.

Anyhow, I am gonna end up watching the movies in a truly bizarre order.

Since I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark recently. I decided to start with Temple of Doom. Follow it up with the Lost Crusade and come full circle with Raiders.

Temple was a weird movie I guess. Short Round and Willie I personally found annoying most of the time. They had some redeeming moments, but all Short Rounds whining was kind of annoying. I also tend not to like many movies with like voodoo and stuff. To me this was Indy's er Live and Let Die movie.

I did kind of enjoy the very long escape scene at the end. And the fight on the bridge was sweet.

KillerGremlin
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Ebert has gotten a lot nicer with his movie reviews in his older age. He's still a good critic, but I think he gives out some generous scores.

As for the trilogy, Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far the best film. The Last Crusade is good too, it has a nice balance of silliness, cheesiness, and action. Temple of Doom is the oddball out, and I'll be the first to admit that it's not my favorite movie in the series. But it's not bad.

Personally, I expect the new movie to be big budget special effects with tons of over-the-top lines and a bunch of reference to the old films. Seeing that I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, it probably won't bother me.

Jason1
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Okay I just got back from watching it. It was good, not great, somewhat predictable, but the action was awsome as usual. Spielberg is the greatest filmmaker of our generation, for sure. In the end, it certaintly didnt dissapoint. It just didnt completley blow me away.

It was 250 times better than Ironman.

KillerGremlin
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Spielberg is the greatest filmmaker of our generation, for sure.

epic meh :p

Jason1
05-22-2008, 10:56 PM
epic meh :p

Hes made too many awsome movies. Sure there have been a few stinkers in there, but they are very few indeed.

KillerGremlin
05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
So he has a lot of awesome movies...and he does...but a lot of movies that are awesome might not trump someone who has 1 or 2 movies that are awesome. I agree, he's made some really good movies. I don't hold him as high as you do, but I am somewhat playing devil's advocate.

BreakABone
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't know if would consider him the best of our generation, but eh.

Maybe a spinoff thread?

KillerGremlin
05-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Best Director/Producer? That would be a tough thread to work with, you would probably have to give a gateway of 20 years for most of the directors out there. Plus, I'm not really up on what is "my generation." I think the whole generation thing has kind of gone away with time, at least I don't sit around comparing generations. I guess I look at decades...is a decade a generation?

GameMaster
05-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Okay I just got back from watching it. It was good, not great, somewhat predictable, but the action was awsome as usual. Spielberg is the greatest filmmaker of our generation, for sure. In the end, it certaintly didnt dissapoint. It just didnt completley blow me away.

It was 250 times better than Ironman.

How well does 'Mutt' fit in? I mean, does he just come as an annoying prick? Or does he truly integrate with the story and the Indy universe? Was the ending left open for another story or is there a solid, conclusion?

Jason1
05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
How well does 'Mutt' fit in? I mean, does he just come as an annoying prick? Or does he truly integrate with the story and the Indy universe? Was the ending left open for another story or is there a solid, conclusion?

Ah, Mutt wasnt that bad...I'll admit Im not a Shia fan.

As for the conclusion, it hints at something, then hints at something else...you just have to watch it to see what I mean. I mean sure, the conclusion is solid, it could end forever this way, but it also hints at a sequal. But not necissairly...its complicated...

But, I recently read that George Lucas will only do a sequal if he can "think up a good macguffin" or whatever they call the main item that drives the plot. Lucas is way too picky, he's the reason it took so long to get released, he kept rejecting the scripts. Spielberg would like the script, and Lucas kept rejecting it.

GameMaster
05-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I heard it was Spielberg and Ford who kept rejecting the scripts because Lucas' initial draft was way too ridiculous and far out for them. *shrugs*

Anyways, your review is enough to convince me to go see this. I just wonder what you would have given it on a scale of 1-10.

BreakABone
05-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Ok I JUST finished the Last Crusade.

Now that was a bonafide awesome movie. It was just like one really long chase scene which was awesome.

I loved the dynamic between Indy and his dad and the story was pretty cool.

Now I'm Jonesing for me more. :p

KillerGremlin
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I saw the new Indy film, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was okay. It was high on the CGI and low on the story. And it felt tired. It wasn't anywhere near as mysterious and exciting as Raiders of the Lost Ark. But, it was a pretty decent extension to the original three films, and it was a good summer blockbuster.

Renwood
05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I mean sure, the conclusion is solid, it could end forever this way, but it also hints at a sequal. But not necissairly...its complicated....
If they do what they hinted at the anger of thousand suns will be brought to bear upon them.