PDA

View Full Version : BaB's Guide to Comics: Booster Gold

BreakABone
05-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I figured since helping Swan out a bit and Strangler was looking for some suggestions. I would make threads for anyone else interested in picking up comics again.

The first pick is an odd pick, but I shall explain why I did it. As many would guess, huge DC fanboy (mostly because of Batman) and well Batman is an interesting character to get into he has also been around for over 60 years and there are MANY MANY great stories to read.

Booster Gold on the other hand is right now the best thing in superhero comics. The stories are fun, full of history and a great read. He also has a relatively short history only being around about 20 years or so.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Booster_Gold_by_Benes.jpg

Orgins
Michael Jon Carter is a college football star in the 25th century, who is banned from the sport after he is caught betting on his own football games. He takes a job as a night watchman at the Metropolis Space Museum, where he begins to study displays about superheroes and villains from the past, particularly the 20th century. With the help of a security robot named Skeets, he steals devices from the museum displays, including a Legion of Super-Heroes flight ring and Brainiac 5's force-field belt. He uses Rip Hunter's time machine, also on display in the museum, to travel to the 20th century, intent on becoming a superhero and forming a corporation based around himself to make a comfortable living. As such, he is a shameless self-promoter whose obsession with fame and wealth irritates other heroes.

Carter's nickname as a football player was "Booster", but his chosen 20th century superhero name was "Goldstar". After saving the president, Carter mangles the two names, causing the president to introduce him as "Booster Gold." The name stuck.

Media
My first introduction to Booster Gold wasn't the comics but actually a Justice League Unlimited episode titled "The Greatest Story Never Told." It is a really interesting concept as it takes place behind the scenes of a huge epic battle that you never quite see. Booster who thinks he should be part of the huge struggle is stuck on crowd control and well won't say too much more.

Reading
You can get some of the basic information you need from Wikipedia but I would start with The OMAC project to get an idea of where Booster is currently at.

Follow that up with 52 in which he has a starring role.

And come full circle with the new Booster Gold comics which is only 9 issues in!

Well any questions and stuff feel free to ask.

KillerGremlin
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll revive this thread cuz I want to get into DC more than just Batman and Superman........

...plus Earl held me at gunpoint saying he will kill my future children if I don't post......

I will check out this Booster Gold character, and I expect BaB to update this thread. ;)