PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Fans AHOY!

Professor S
05-14-2008, 09:09 AM
This is for all the comic book fans, or "sequential art" art fans, out there. We, the few who know that the best storytelling in any media right now is in the pages of a comic book. We, the few who know that shows like LOST and Heroes were saved by comic writers.

So, here is my questions to those who love and read comic books on a semi-regular basis:

1) What are you reading right now?

2) What are your Top 5 runs (modern age) by a writer? (Must be an established franchise)

3) What are your top 5 runs (modern age) by an artist? (Must be an established franchise)

My answers:

I'm a big on trade paperbacks, and the only book I'm collecting monthly right now is Kick-Ass. I wait on trades for Invincible, The Walking Dead, Astonishing X-Men, All-Star Superman and Mouse Guard. I tend to only invest in well reviewed runs by writers I trust, and a few artists will spur me to buy (Cassaday, Hitch, Quitely, Romita Jr.). I also tend to enjoy books based in small universes or ones exclusive to a single book.

Top Writing Runs
5) Mark Millar - Ultimates
4) Alan Moore - Swamp Thing
3) Chris Claremont - The Uncanny X-Men
2) Grant Morrison - New X-Men
1) Frank Miller - Daredevil

(I'm sure my ignorance of the DC universe is becoming apparent)

Noteable ommissions
Bryan K. Vaughn (Y:The Last Man) and Garth Ennis (Preacher) - Excluded because the were solo runs in a closed universe.
Joss Whedon - Not sure yet, but its shaping up to be epic.
Robert Kirkman (Invincible, Walking Dead) - So far these are solo runs, but f he open his franchises up to other writers, he would qualify, but probably still not crack the top 5, even though I love his work)

Top Artist Runs
5) Bryan Hitch - The Authority
4) John Romita Jr. - Iron Man
3) Frank Quitely - New X-Men
2) David Petersen - Mouse Guard
1) John Totleben - Swamp Thing

Noteable Ommissions
Jim Lee - Yeah, he changed comic art for almost 15 years... for the WORSE. He almost single handed ruined comics in the 90's.
Mark Silvestri - Great work on X-Men with Claremont
Any manga influenced piece of trash from the 90's... I hate you.

Dylflon
05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Strangler, I have a website that uploads issues of walking dead to download. Great for reading between trade releases. Check it out.

http://bdcomics.bdgamers.net/2006/12/08/the-walking-dead/

To everyone else: Follow the link and start reading the walking dead, dangit.

BreakABone
05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey Strangler, I have a website that uploads issues of walking dead to download. Great for reading between trade releases. Check it out.

Downloading comics for shame... :sneaky:

As for the original question.. hmm

1) What are you reading right now?
Currently hmm Walking Dead and Invincible as on-goings.
Booster Gold. Green Lantern

Waiting on the start of Batman RIP and Final Crisis.
Not sure if want to start Secret Invasion.

2) What are your Top 5 runs (modern age) by a writer?
Morrison's current run on Batman.
Whoever is doing Booster Gold now.
Geoff on Green Lantern.
Bendis on Ultimate Spiderman.

As you can probably tell a DC boy for the most part. :p

Professor S
05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
BaB, with myself being a Marvel guy for the most part, what would you suggest I cut my teeth on when it comes to the DC universe?

BreakABone
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
BaB, with myself being a Marvel guy for the most part, what would you suggest I cut my teeth on when it comes to the DC universe?

Actually, I was helping Swan with this was thinking of making a Beginner's Guide to comics or atleast certain franchises.

But would you start with all of DC or just characters?

Renwood
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I read Wikipedia articles about comic book characters.

Teuthida
05-15-2008, 01:25 PM
That's tough. I don't read too many series that aren't solo runs.

Dan Slott - She-Hulk
Grant Morrison - New X-Men
Bryan K. Vaughn - Runaways
Ed McGuiness - Superman/Batman

That's all I can think of. The rest are solo series or miniseries.

Brain Michael Bendis on Powers and Ultimate Spider-man
Robert Kirkman on Invincible, The Walking Dead, and the original Brit miniseries
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on WE3
Warren Ellis on Transmetropolitan and NextWave
Stuart Immonen on anything he does, especailly NextWave
Villains United and Secret Six by Gail Simone
Craig Thompson's Goodbye Chunky Rice and Blankets
Bill Willingham on Fables and Day of Vengeance
Bryan K. Vaughn on Y The Last Man
Phil Hestor on the Irredeemable Ant-Man

...ok, I'm just listing stuff I like now.

Professor S
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
That's tough. I don't read too many series that aren't solo runs.

Dan Slott - She-Hulk
Grant Morrison - New X-Men
Bryan K. Vaughn - Runaways
Ed McGuiness - Superman/Batman

That's all I can think of. The rest are solo series or miniseries.

Brain Michael Bendis on Powers and Ultimate Spider-man
Robert Kirkman on Invincible, The Walking Dead, and the original Brit miniseries
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on WE3
Warren Ellis on Transmetropolitan and NextWave
Stuart Immonen on anything he does, especailly NextWave
Villains United and Secret Six by Gail Simone
Craig Thompson's Goodbye Chunky Rice and Blankets
Bill Willingham on Fables and Day of Vengeance
Bryan K. Vaughn on Y The Last Man
Phil Hestor on the Irredeemable Ant-Man

...ok, I'm just listing stuff I like now.

Don't forget to list ARTISTS, Mr. Artist!

I agree with most of your list, but I can find Ellis to be terribly preachy, when he isn't utterly brilliant, especially in Transmetropolitan. A lot of times I find "preachy" and "british writer" to be synonymous...

Also, have you checked out Mouse Guard? I love the artwork in the books... lots of stipple and it reminds me a lot of Beatrix Potter

Teuthida
05-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I only read the first issue of Mouse Guard so far. Nice stuff. Will check up on the rest in the future.

For artists I like:
Ryan Ottley on Invincible
Stuart Immonen on Nextwave
Justiniano on Day of Vengeance and The Creeper
Phil Hester on Ant-Man
Karl Kerschel on Teen Titans Year One
Ed Mcguinness on Superman/Batman ...currently on Hulk...so far not too crazy about the series
Dale Eaglesham on Villains United
Gabriel Rodriguez on Clive Barker's Great and Secret Show
Ryan Sook on Arkham Asylum Living Hell and X-Factor
Pasqual Ferry on Adam Strange
Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa on Sky Doll

Probably more. Those are folks will check out regardless of the writer or series working on.

Oh yeah, and how did I forget Keith Giffen, writer and artist of the awesome Ambush Bug.

I agree with you on Ellis. Never could get through Transmetropolitan. But check out Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. A very funny beautiful 12 part series.

Professor S
05-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice list, I almost forgot about a few of those, especially Giffen! If you want to see him on level 9 of his insane style, check out his work on Lobo... espcially the short Infanticide limited series.

BreakABone
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Don't know.
Maybe try making a comic weekly thread or something but only 4 of us.

Since Swan isn't on MSN I just wanted to post this so he could see whenever.

I know he is a fan of Marvel Zombies.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0708/marv_adv_hulk13.jpg

Vampyr
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't read enough comics to list that many, but lately I've been enjoying the Planet Hulk series written by Greg Pak and illustrated by Carlo Pagulayan, Aaron Lopresti, Juan Santacruz, Gary Frank, and Takeshi Miyazawa.

One of my older favorites was the Maximum Carnage Spider-Man series.

Swan
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Right now I'm with the Secret Invasion arc for Marvel.

Trying to get all the stuff relating to that I can.

Pylon_Trooper
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm a big fan of:

The Red Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star_(comic))
Judge Dredd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd)

I could never really get excited about anything DC or Marvel, though. I dunno what it was...the traditional DC/Marvel ideas of superpowers and whatnot never really floated my boat. I DID like Judgement On Gotham (http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/reviews/extra/2004/trades/batmandredd/batmandredd.shtml), when Dredd and Batman, initially at odds, teamed up against Judge Death, Scarecrow etc. A real treat, and a great Simon Bisley (ala Heavy Metal artist) Batman to be sure!

http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/reviews/extra/2004/trades/batmandredd/batman_judgedredd1.jpg

Professor S
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I've been thinking about getting some of the Hellboy trades. Is anyone here into Hellboy or BPRD? if so, what trades should I start out with?

Zen
07-15-2008, 01:43 AM

shit deserves a bump for this series alone, im only 10 issues in but... wow.

Professor S
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
shit deserves a bump for this series alone, im only 10 issues in but... wow.

I just finsihed reading Vol. 8 and I about lost my MIND. NO ONE IS SAFE.

Zen
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Yep, i couldnt put it down at all, im pretty much up to speed on everything now, and i was like....no he didnt....shit he did...nah....fuck he really did.

BreakABone
07-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah The Walking Dead was one of those series Danny put me onto.

And well it isn't your normal comic book.

He said that there was no main character. And no one was/is safe. Ain't that the truth.

Swan
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Started reading Walking Dead couple days ago.

About 40 issues in and I loves it

BreakABone
10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the fold young Swan.

Next thing you know you will be reading Y: The Last Man.

*Jedi mind control*
You will read Y: The Last Man.
*Waves arm*

Dylflon
10-15-2008, 11:42 PM
I just finished the last trade of Y the other day.

Damn that was a good series.

Swan
10-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Just read Hush

BreakABone
02-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Just giving this a bump because I caught up with The Walking Dead once again, and at some point you realize the pattern.

They find happiness, it is short lived, we kill off some characters, but damnit if they don't keep fooling you into thinking this is the time. :lol:

Also for original intentions of the this thread, I read Final Crisis and RIP and I enjoyed them well enough now my attention turns to Battle for the Cowl, Blackest Night and the Messiah sequel.

Swan
02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Got a friend of mine to pick up first trade of Walking Dead, first two of Y and Identity crisis last week and he throroughly enjoyed them.

I myself finished Y the other week and damn it was good.

And now I am sad that it is over.

And stoked for the batlle for the cowl

BreakABone
04-08-2009, 02:26 AM
First cover for blackest nights

http://dcublog.dccomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bn01coverinks_net.jpg

KillerGremlin
04-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I was bored so I dled The Walking Dead......and I've ripped through about 40 issues in one sitting. This shit it hot! It's a nice mix up from typical superhero stuff....and it's a nice way for me to procrastinate reading Origins.....

Professor S
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
If you like it, please buy it. The comics industry is hurting right now, a lot of it due to illegal downloads.

KillerGremlin
04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
If you like it, please buy it. The comics industry is hurting right now, a lot of it due to illegal downloads.

I'm definitely going to look into it, the series is excellent. I'm looking at going for the hardcover volumes.

I don't feel so bad torrenting stuff from Marvel Entertainment though......those bastards have been whoring out their comic franchises to Hollywood and turning out a whole bunch of crappy movies for the occasional good one.

KillerGremlin
04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I should clarify thought that I never feel good downloading anything...well, except for mainstream music and movies I paid to see in theaters. I try to support all the hard working artists. And comics are an art form I appreciate a lot because I have no drawing talent....one day when I'm rich I'll buy all my comics and you guys can come read them with me on my yacht.

BreakABone
04-09-2009, 12:38 PM

That's actually my rule of thumb with most things, if I enjoy it enough on a download/freebie, I should support them.

That said as Danny can attest to, I can go a tad overboard when comic shopping. Depends on my mood and what looking to buy. :lol:

BreakABone
04-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Invincible 61... wow
Just WOW
More people should read.

Swan
04-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Yeah man. Invincible was awesome. The end set up next issue for an epic showdown.

Kick Ass 6 (I think) had an awesome ending as well

Teuthida
05-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Holy Moley. Invincible 62 is amazing. Best fight since the beginning of the series with his dad.

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/142/9/b/Invincible_62_page_18_by_WyA.jpg

squee!

BreakABone
06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Okay two things.

1)Damn at Invincible 63
I mean DAMN

2) The Batbooks have gotten a shot in the arm with all of this Batman Reborn stuff.
Some interesting stuff has come out of it even though felt Battle for the Cowl was a wash.

Swan
06-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Yeah, Invincible was badass this week. I love how Kirkman will just go full out with something like that.

And Walking Dead shall be interesting the next few months

Teuthida
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
It hasn't sunk in yet but I have a feeling next issue will leave me teary eyed. Damn you Kirkman.

Swan
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
It hasn't sunk in yet but I have a feeling next issue will leave me teary eyed. Damn you Kirkman.

And that is why he is my favorite writer

BreakABone
08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
And of course, he pulls the wool over everyone.

And looks like Walking Dead.. to quote JR.. business is about to pick up.