PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Xbox will end up like the DC

bobcat
05-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Well I've been thinking about it.

I haven't played it much since DOA3 and Halo. Now I have no games to play.

Alternatively i'm playing FFX, Tekken 4, GTAIII on my PS2. I just feel a whole lot more satisfied with the PS2 at the moment.

Does anybody have a list of upcoming games for the Xbox? I just hope that I haven't wasted my money :unsure:

DeathsHand
05-06-2002, 06:11 PM
Well it has very bad sales in Japan and Europe... and while there are some games that I think look good (some REALLY good like that star wars game eehhhh it's like an RPG made by the people who make Baldur's Gate games)...

But I dunno think it's sales will slow down and it will die off early (early as in not last the full 5 or so years that are usually in between the releases of new consoles)...

Although a lot of people would probably argue that while DC's sales were low, it had a ton of good games...

I, however, didn't really like many DC games... So basically, when looking at DC the way I see it, yes, I think XBox will end up like DC :D

Then again I dunno... maybe there will be some big announcements at E3... but if there aren't... then eehhhh... :unsure:

Perfect Stu
05-06-2002, 06:26 PM
In NA, the XBox will last a good while. Probably in Europe too. But things don't look good for the XBox in Japan.

Bond
05-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Sales in Japan are up 300% thanks to Microsoft releasing Halo. :D

DeathsHand
05-06-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Bond
Sales in Japan are up 300% thanks to Microsoft releasing Halo. :D

So what that means that instead of selling 20 a week, they sell like 60? :confused:

;) J/K

Gamer
05-06-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand

So what that means that instead of selling 20 a week, they sell like 60? :confused:

;) J/K

Hehe, yeah, thats what he means...;)

Xantar
05-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Actually, it's more like instead of selling 2,500 units, the Xbox sells 7,500. Still not a big whoop, but at least it's outselling the PSOne now.

The Xbox probably also has a higher software share than 0.0%, too.

Back to topic: the Xbox is here to stay. Its future in Japan is questionable, but it will survive all 5 years in North America and Europe. At least that's what I think will happen.

DeathsHand
05-06-2002, 10:09 PM
Actually maybe XBox will last longer... as long as it can survive in America and do decent in Europe too I guess... also, videogames.com posted a story about how like... both MS and Sony are expected to announce at E3 that PS2 and XBox will drop to $199.99... like sometime shortly after E3 I guess... Which could really boost sales... if it's true... :D

Bond
05-06-2002, 10:14 PM
I really think it's no question that the Xbox will survive this generation. I mean the Xbox has so much more developing backing then the Dreamcast did and it's the main focus of many companies. It also has guaranteed backing by Microsoft for 4 years.

Shadow_Link
05-07-2002, 10:23 AM
I reckon it will last a bit longer than the Dreamcast. Problem is, it isn't fairing to well in Japan OR Europe. Apparently (meaning I will try and find a link, even though I heard this on radio), the Gc has already outsold the Xbox. Meaning it only too around 3 days (Friday-Sunday). The Xbox has yet to break the 150,000 mark, while reports suggest the Gc had passed it.

Since Microsoft are behind the Xbox, I guess they would push it, and make developers continue to make games for it for around 5 years, considering the money they have to waste. It is patently clear that Mr Gates introduced the Xbox as a non profit making product. And with the unexpected price cuts in Europe, the losses made on the Xbox will be far greater than first projected, not to mention sales projections being lowered. It all depends on whether the shareholders will want to continue selling the product, because it sure ain't gonna help them make any cash. If they don't want to continue, they may put some pressure on Mr Gates.

BigJustinW
05-07-2002, 11:45 AM
Wait wait wait.... is this topic about survival or Game quality?

if it's about game quality:

I didn't like Dreamcasts games in general. It had it's killer apps, but not even near enough to compete with Xbox. I think out of Xbox's games released to date, it has higher quality than Dreamcast's games released to date. (which is sad). So on the Game issue, Xbox is much better IMO

If it's about Survival:

It all depends on how it does here in the US.

Xbox could survive off of a 20 million console sale Generation. Hell, I think it could survive off of 15. If it can get over either hump in it's lifetime, it will survive.

Somthing tells me that this Fall, in Japan, Xbox is going to pick up some of the slack that it had competing with GCN. (mainly because GCN had a whole fall season in Japan without competing with Xbox)

If Gates is really desperate for a great first impression, he may keep the Price of Xbox equal to Gamecube's... while it would lose money this generation, it would screw over Nintendo, and pay off in the next generation.

Professor S
05-07-2002, 12:13 PM
The XBox will survive this generation. There is no argument about this. MS is solidly behind it for at least 4 years as Bond pointed out, and as long as MS stays behind it, so will the developers. BTW, there are some seriously fantastic looking games on the horizon for the XBox, so I wouldn't exactly state that it will only survive because MS will keep throwing money at it.

As I have said before, with the upcoming price cuts, game releases and holiday season coming up, the story of the XBox is FAR from over.

But having said that, if the XBox does not do great business this fall and winter the XBox will basically be a very expensive door stop after the 4 years are up.

Angrist
05-07-2002, 03:45 PM
One thing's for sure: if it survives in the US, it will survive in Europe. Unless we REALLY don't like it, or M$ doesn't release the same games as in the US.

Bond
05-07-2002, 04:16 PM
It still really is no question that the Xbox will last this generation. The main reason Sony has given for seeing it as it's main competition because of how long the console will be able to last.

fingersman
05-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by BigJustinW

It Somthing tells me that this Fall, in Japan, Xbox is going to pick up some of the slack that it had competing with GCN. (mainly because GCN had a whole fall season in Japan without competing with Xbox)

If Gates is really desperate for a great first impression, he may keep the Price of Xbox equal to Gamecube's... while it would lose money this generation, it would screw over Nintendo, and pay off in the next generation.

Screw over nintendo is Japan this fall??
No I don't think that's likely, atleast not this fall...not with Zelda and Metriod coming out around that time.
They could probadly screw Nintendo over in America or Europe this fall..but I don't think they could do it in Japan.

Angrist
05-08-2002, 10:57 AM
No screwing over Nintendo allowed! :D

But seriously, they can't beat GameCube in it's homecountry, unless they really start making games as Animal Leader and Pikmin or something. :confused:

BigJustinW
05-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by fingersman

Screw over nintendo is Japan this fall??
No I don't think that's likely, atleast not this fall...not with Zelda and Metriod coming out around that time.
They could probadly screw Nintendo over in America or Europe this fall..but I don't think they could do it in Japan.

Well duh :)

I was talking bout US... if this Fall season, Xbox's price is down with Nintendo's they would screw them.... (while screwing themselves... but it's like buying respect)