PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Jaguar Jaguar Jaguar!!!!

gekko
05-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Coming this summer :D

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/

Angrist
05-06-2002, 04:08 PM
:D Nice! For you at least! :D

Revival
05-06-2002, 04:38 PM
So this is just an upgrade right? Not a whole new OS.. and I correct?

Happydude
05-06-2002, 05:18 PM
*shudders*

i will never get used to apple computers....

gekko
05-06-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
So this is just an upgrade right? Not a whole new OS.. and I correct?

Ya. Puma was 10.1. Jaguar is likely 10.2.

Revival
05-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Cool.. just wanted to make sure Apple wasn't pulling a Microsoft and releasing a new OS not too long after OS X's release..

gekko
05-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Well OS X has been out a LONG time. They had the public beta period, then they released 10.0 which was slow as hell. Finally like a year ago they released 10.1, which was finally useable as a primary OS.

They didn't even charge for the 10.1 upgrade. Could just walk into an Apple Store and get it. They could charge for OS 10.2, but since the whole OS only costs $129, I doubt they will, and it's not a huge upgrade, which would warrant a new purchase.

GameMaster
05-08-2002, 08:03 PM
When I bought OS X 10.1 it has automatically updated me with "Software Update" so that I'm now at 10.1.4 Will I just be able to update like this when 10.2 comes out?

gekko
05-08-2002, 08:31 PM
The reason 10.1 came on a seperate CD was because it was so different than the original, that downloading it would be impractical even for broadband users. You basically needed the CD to install.

Considering Jaguar has so many internal changes to still like the kernel, I'd expect it to come on a CD. It shouldn't cost you anything, just stop by your apple Store and they hand it to you. Or you can mail in a form and get it through the mail.

For major upgrades, it's not too practical to install it via software update. they could go OS 9-style and basically run the updater which reboots to it, so it can make internal changes without interfering with the system running. I guess it all depends if it's small enough of a file or not.

but i wouldn't be surprised to see it come on CD. It is a major update, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Cyrax9
05-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Two thumbs UP! MAC all the way! Ironically I read this while listening to "Weird Al's" song entitled "Windows 95 Sucks", now if only if could be updated for Windoze XP.

You cvan call me the Windozer when I kock M$ down from their comfy little thrown.

GameMaster
05-09-2002, 09:44 PM
How can they just hand out the CD gekko? Don't I need proof of purchase or something?

gekko
05-10-2002, 03:38 PM
You're supposed to have your proof of purchase slips that come with your computer or OS X purchase. But I just walked in, said I was looking for the 10.1 Upgrade and they handed it to me.

Basically, the Apple Store version was 10.1 Upgrade CD and 9.2.2 Upgrade CD. The mail in one where you sent in your proof was 10.1 Upgrade CD and 9.2.2 Full CD. And of course, retail was 10.1 Full CD and 9.2.2 full CD.

So basically, if you got one and didn't own it, it wouldn't help you at all.

Cyrax9
05-11-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Shooter
Cool.. just wanted to make sure Apple wasn't pulling a Microsoft and releasing a new OS not too long after OS X's release..

The day Apple pulls a M$, wi;ll be the day the PC ceists to exist, you do realized that OS X is UNix in a Mac-Shell don't you?

Granted, I like that Mac Shell, but if you're thinking about Unix or a Mac, it's the same thing, the only diofferance is that the Mac has it's own shell.