PDA

View Full Version : "Two letters in a circle" on the back of a car

Dyne
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
What's up with this? I feel I see this all the time, except more frequently in the US. I saw one yesterday on the back of a Beemer with "DK" in an oval, and from memory I can recall "PL"'s in ovals. There's many more combinations I've seen, too. They're always bumper stickers (or magnets, who knows) and they're always placed on the trunk, and never the bumper.

What's up with it? Is it a gang sign?

Edit: Never mind. I answered my own question by doing a bit of searching. Apparently it just shows what country you came from.

http://www.stickercafe.com/ovalstickerhistory.htm

So I guess I saw a guy from Denmark in a BMW yesterday then. That's not very gangster at all.

The Germanator
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Actually around here on the Eastern Seaboard I'm pretty sure it refers to what beach you go to...Like I see a bunch of RB (for Rehobeth Beach) or BB (for Bethany Beach) or OC (for Ocean City) or CM (for Cape May, NJ) and so on...

Edit: Ah, I just saw that it beachtowns was one of the things they have for the oval stickers...I guess they can be for a lot of things.

Bond
05-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, the oval stickers can stand for practically anything nowadays. Bands, states, countries, schools, whatever.

Dyne
05-07-2008, 07:35 PM
What the fuck. What a lame standard!

Why even put anything on the back of your car at all, then.

GameMaster
05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
There was a car commercial based on those stickers (I think the Honda Element). And in the commercial, these people are driving everywhere in their Honda and they put one of those stickers on the back for every place they visit. So that's what I thought they were for. To show where you've been.

As if anyone on the road gives a fluck where you've been :p

ulala06
05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
yeah, i first noticed these after i went to outer banks, nc... people EVERYWHERE have OBX stickers on their cars from having been... i think it's pretty neat.

Angrist
05-08-2008, 02:53 AM
They're pretty standard in Europe.