PDA

View Full Version : Ironman Discussion

Professor S
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I think this movie will be a hit and start a new movie franchise for Marvel, and here is why...

Tony Stark is a superhuman human. In his suit he is one of the most powerful beings on the planet, but underneath he is not only flesh and bone, but even more fragile with both drinking and heart problems. He is more vulnerable than his audience.

I think this will resonate with movie-goers. Thoughts?

Fox 6
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Iron Man was always my favourite Marvel superhero, so i have high hopes for this movie.

Did anyone else know there was 60s TV show too?

Tony Stark makes you feel
He's a cool exec with a heart of steel
As Iron Man all jets ablaze
He fights and smites with repulsor rays
Amazing armor, that's Iron Man
Ablazin' power, that's Iron Man

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Wn4iYoMcAA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Wn4iYoMcAA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Professor S
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Those were the best lyrics ever written. Kurt Cobain is crying in his grave having never approached such genius...

BreakABone
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I was gonna make this thread. :mad:

Anyhow, I am really looking forward to it.
At first I thought it was gonna be another Marvel cash-in (See Daredevil and Elektra and some other stuff) but then I saw the first footage with Downey and I really like him in the role. My only problem with IronMan atleast personally is not really sure of his er... rogue's gallery and I know this first movie doesn't really touch on it. But sure the sequels will have to, but we shall cross that bridge when we get there.

Also. it seems to be doing really well at RT.

Bond
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Is this going to be in the spirit of new serious super-hero movies (such as Batman Begins) or one of the less serious ones?

Zen
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
movie started playing today over here, wont get a chance to see it until the weekend if at all though.

Professor S
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Is this going to be in the spirit of new serious super-hero movies (such as Batman Begins) or one of the less serious ones?

My guess is they will have comedy based on Tony Stark's playboy persona, but with serious undertones of alcoholism and human mortality.

Swan
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I heard somewhere they won't touch on the alcoholism so much in this movie. They are saving that for the second while this one is more so about introducing the character and such.

Typhoid
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I think it will be good because it has the right formula to be good.

Fragile main character, seemingly endless opportunities for movies, wronging the rights he created, morals, ethics, explosions, CGI.

BreakABone
04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Excerpts from a pretty good review of the movie. Can't wait to see really.

It uses CGI to advance the story rather than to populate the screen with pretty images. And, perhaps most importantly, the humor is restrained enough to avoid pushing the film over the line into camp or self-parody. Over the years, there have been only a handful of exceptional superhero movies, and Iron Man is among them.

Favreau has crafted the production to maximize appeal for both to those steeped in Iron Man lore and those who have never previously heard of the Mighty Marvel Metal Man. This is much like what Chris Nolan accomplished with Batman Begins: stripping away the legend and building it up gradually, using narrative and character (not action and effects) for the foundation.

There has never been a more inspired choice for a superhero than Robert Downey Jr. In recent decades, we've seen the likes of Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Tobey Maguire, Ben Affleck, Nicolas Cage, Christian Bale, and others don capes, cowls, and masks, but none has accomplished this with more style, wit, and panache than Downey. His performance is riveting. He commands the screen. He nails Stark, making him much more than a charismatic fusion of Bill Gates, Hugh Hefner, and Howard Hughes.

Comparisons can be made between Iron Man and Batman. Both franchises feature rich men who turn to crime fighting as a way to provide balance. Both have lots of gadgets at their disposal. And both have faithful retainers who offer help and advice (Alfred, Miss Potts). Yet, in terms of their cinematic incarnations, even the latest Batman inhabits a pseudo-fantasy world. Tony Stark is grounded in something close to our reality. This gives Iron Man a sense of immediacy that even the fine Batman Begins does not have. Yet Iron Man and Batman Begins have a lot in common in the way that they rework the tired "superhero origin story," replace stereotypes with legitimate characters, and remember that everyone in the audience is not a 14-year old boy.

When it comes to tone, Iron Man achieves something at which many of even its most celebrated predecessors have failed: it doesn't feel like a superhero movie. Instead, it's bigger and more inclusive. The superhero elements are present, so devotees will not feel slighted or duped, but Iron Man wants to be more than just a summer genre picture or an appetizer before the next exploit of a better-known icon. The movie justifies the hype and, in addition to standing solidly on its own, it promises bigger and potentially more interesting developments for the sequel that no one doubts will be made.

I disagree with it being the most inspired choice. I personally till think Bale as Batman is top of the list. But as it stands, Downey Jr. is quickly approaching top 3 status.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/i/iron_man.html

The Germanator
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm more familiar with this Ironman http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000002BNB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg, but I might see this movie as I've heard good things...

Swan
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Does anybody else wish they had not put the song Iron Man in the trailers?

DeathsHand
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM

As a non-comic book fan who dabbles in the occasional comic book film, but knows nothing of Iron Man, I personally thought the commercials made the film look terrible... And I think that song played a large role...

I'm just sayin'...

GameMaster
05-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Let's not forget to applaud Robert Downey, who has combated drug abuse and alcoholism in real life. He's really turning his life around and becoming a great actor. Everyone should check him out in the movie, Zodiac.

Jonbo298
05-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Let's not forget to applaud Robert Downey, who has combated drug abuse and alcoholism in real life. He's really turning his life around and becoming a great actor. Everyone should check him out in the movie, Zodiac.

Zodiac was good, but way too long. But as for Iron Man, I'll probably see it at some point. Friends are all going to see it at Midnight I believe, and I work at that time so, I'll wait or whatever.

I do agree the song choice was pretty off for the trailer. Could've chosen something else, but I guess they went the lazy route and went with that.

Professor S
05-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Why wouldn't you use that song? It's called Iron Man and its about humans advancing the cause of their own destruction, which is a key theme in the film. Plus, its an awesome tune that is enjoyed and identified with by muliple generational cohorts. In my opinion, there isn't a song that would be more appropriate.

And to be fair, I hear the song isn't played in the movie until the very end, when Iron Man is offically Iron Man.

And the commercials were pretty cool, IMO. What do you think they should have done instead (honest question)?

Professor S
05-01-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

94% over at RT, and the positive reviews have been stellar, and not mildly positive.

Bond
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not going to lie, before I read some things about Iron Man's background I was not excited for this film and most likely not going to go see it, even though I'm a big fan of Robert Downey Jr. But after doing some research, I can't wait to go see Iron Man!

Jason1
05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I'll go see it if they have a new Preview for Indiana Jones before it, as is rumored.

After that preview I will probably just leave.

The Germanator
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I'll go see it if they have a new Preview for Indiana Jones before it, as is rumored.

Wow, you'd really pay $8.50 to do that? Crazy.

Professor S
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Pretty neat article on the history of Iron Man armor.

http://stars.ign.com/articles/870/870740p1.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Ironarmors.PNG

BreakABone
05-01-2008, 12:03 PM

From what I've seen of Indy (yeah I've seen the new trailer :p ) and what I know of Ironman right now that is so backwards.

Fox 6
05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Pretty neat article on the history of Iron Man armor.

http://stars.ign.com/articles/870/870740p1.html

That was a good article. I liked the 1602 concept alot, and the look of the armor was neat. Hehe I had no idea that Stark changed armor so much. :P

Professor S
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
That was a good article. I liked the 1602 concept alot, and the look of the armor was neat. Hehe I had no idea that Stark changed armor so much. :P

More if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man%27s_armor

Jonbo298
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

94% over at RT, and the positive reviews have been stellar, and not mildly positive.

Wow, that's not bad at all. 53 reviews, only 3 'negative'

BreakABone
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM

It isn't so much that he changes it, but writers like to put their stamp on a character.

You can't do much with characters like Superman or Spiderman as they have a general theme. But Iron Man and Batman go through a lot of different costumes and variations.

If you want to see the crazy, look at Batman's batmobile.

Professor S
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
It isn't so much that he changes it, but writers like to put their stamp on a character.

You can't do much with characters like Superman or Spiderman as they have a general theme. But Iron Man and Batman go through a lot of different costumes and variations.

If you want to see the crazy, look at Batman's batmobile.

I'm waiting for Stark's new armor to be injected nan-machines that allow him to have all the powers he has now but have him look like Tony Stark... and then the nano-machines can try and take over...

Jason1
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, you'd really pay $8.50 to do that? Crazy.

No haha I wouldnt, especially since the new trailer will be available on the internet anyways. But my point stands, I have no real desire to see Ironman.

GameMaster
05-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Do you think Iron Man will be better than Spider-Man? Because Spider-Man was a GREAT movie.

Swan
05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Why wouldn't you use that song? It's called Iron Man and its about humans advancing the cause of their own destruction, which is a key theme in the film. Plus, its an awesome tune that is enjoyed and identified with by muliple generational cohorts. In my opinion, there isn't a song that would be more appropriate.

And to be fair, I hear the song isn't played in the movie until the very end, when Iron Man is offically Iron Man.

And the commercials were pretty cool, IMO. What do you think they should have done instead (honest question)?

I guess it's just a personal preference on my part. I'm not the biggest fan of Ozzy. And as well it just seemed a little too obvious. Like, heres the Iron Man movie.....lets use the song of the same name! It the same to a lesser degree with "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" for any action movie. For the Rambo trailer it was just like....god damn it, they had to use that song.

And to be fair, I really don't know what song they could have used. Something rather obscure that not many people had heard of would have been neat, but only if it fit well.

Wow, I don't remember the last time I had a post that long

GameMaster
05-01-2008, 08:22 PM
For anyone interested, some television special called 'The Making of Ironman' just popped up in torrent land. Here's the link:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1373603

BreakABone
05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm exhausted.

But damn fine movie.

Downey Jr was awesome.

And make sure you stay after the credits.

GameMaster
05-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Hint: Samuel L. Jackson

But that's all I'll say for now...

BreakABone
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Weekend box office hit.

100 million since Thurs night!

Fox 6
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
This movie was glorious! I really dug the whole movie.

Swan
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Quite fantastic.

And the little tid bit after the credits makes me all kinds of excited

Seth
05-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Enjoyable. made me want to design something outta metals

KillerGremlin
05-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I finally went out and saw the movie. I don't know if it was as enjoyable as Spiderman 2 or Sin City, but it was pretty damn good. Robert Downey Jr. is pretty much the most awesomely charismatic actor to step in the roll of a superhero ever, so that was really going for the film. Surprisingly though, I really want to talk about Jeff Bridges. I thought he played a fantastic villain. That's two actors that really sold the film for me. Overall, it was definitely one of the better superhero films. We'll see how it holds up over the next year and repeat viewings for me.

Renwood
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Went in for Jeff Bridges. Stayed for Samuel L. Jackson.

Didn't expect: Gwyneth Paltrow

Good movie; most comic movies should take themselves less seriously like this. I want Avengers.

Swan
05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
The whole time me and Fox were watching this we kept picturing The Dude playing the villain.

Stark you will now die.....MANNNNNNNN

Fox 6
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Those scraps really tied the suit together.

Renwood
05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
It was hard to buy The Dude as a villain.

He's a known pacifist.

GameMaster
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
It was a great movie but all the hype and rave reviews definitely left me feeling unfulfilled.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 were better for sure.

My friend also said he thought audiences would've preferred if that Al Queda guy had been the villain instead of having Jeff Bridges' character become the bad guy. That's kind of the direction I was predicting. But Al Queda turned out to only be a pawn in the game.

And Gwyneth Paltrow was hot.

KillerGremlin
05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
It was hard to buy The Dude as a villain.

He's a known pacifist.

I still think he did a pretty good job, although I was waiting for him to say "mannnnnn" too :D. He's a pretty versatile actor as far as I'm concerned.

And Gwyneth Paltrow was hot.

duhhhhh. i'd hit it...sideways

Fox 6
05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
It was hard to take him seriously when its the same voice that says

"They're going to kill that poor woman Walter!"

:P

Renwood
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Jeff Bridges is doubtless a very talented actor. The problem from me wasn't so much his acting as the suddenness of the reveal and about-face; he went from channeling Dude vibes in the beginning with his laid back persona to this crazy fuck.

It was a little jarring.

BreakABone
05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PrKn0FfDa1Y

Apparently Captain America's shield in the movie.

Swan
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe....

But is it made of Vibranium