PDA

View Full Version : Arby's bought Wendy's?!

Dyne
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24289985&GT1=43001

Don't get your bubblegum in my peanut butter. :(

DeathsHand
04-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Wendy's is probably my favorite of the 3 major fast food burger joints...

Though that's not really saying much when you work at a sandwich shop that grants you access to a free lunch every weekday, with a menu that includes 100% fresh hamburgers I can grill up myself (with roasted green peppers, grilled onions, hot pepper relish, chipotle mayo and extra provolone cheese), in a neighborhood that also features a Five Guys... Which, despite winning numerous awards (like best burger in the DC area for 7 years) for one reason or another, is really just Fast Food and a Half if you ask me...
I get better burgers where I work... ;o

Typhoid
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
When I eat fast food, it's either Wendy's or A&W.
I am in love with the jbc's.
I swear to god if anything changes, I'ma smack a bitch.

Renwood
04-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Arby's is better than Wendy's. So good.

Happydude
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
i don't think i've ever seen an Arby's in Toronto...don't even know if they exist here...and i prefer BK to all the burger fast food chains.

Dyne
04-26-2008, 06:47 PM
We have four Arby's that I can name in the Vancouver area, one of them being in my local mall food court. They're pretty good.

Burger King is REALLY inconsistent in quality, and their food is always shit unless you find one in an upscale neighbourhood south of the border. Otherwise, my Burger King experiences have been gag-worthy. I even remember the smell of one in Hawaii on the way to the beach - the most foul-smelling odour ever.

Wendy's is usually fantastic. Hell, they were giving away free coffee yesterday. I <3 them. Plus, my girlfriend was working as assistant manager at one when I met her for the first time. Good memories.

Swan
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I have to say my favorite place to get a burger would be Vera's Burger Shack. You can't beat Vera's meat. Though I only think they are found in the Vancouver area

Dyne
04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh fuck yeah, Vera's is great. That entire business line is great, really, including St. Memphis Blues BBQ.

I think my favourite burger at Vera's is the Buffalo Chicken, which tastes exactly like a Buffalo Wing topped with Blue Cheese dressing... mmmmmm.

Aladuf
04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Wendy's is probably my favorite of the 3 major fast food burger joints...

Though that's not really saying much when you work at a sandwich shop that grants you access to a free lunch every weekday, with a menu that includes 100% fresh hamburgers I can grill up myself (with roasted green peppers, grilled onions, hot pepper relish, chipotle mayo and extra provolone cheese), in a neighborhood that also features a Five Guys... Which, despite winning numerous awards (like best burger in the DC area for 7 years) for one reason or another, is really just Fast Food and a Half if you ask me...
I get better burgers where I work... ;o

Wait, so you'd rather have Wendy's than Five Guys?! What the hell?!

Arby's is better than Wendy's. So good.

To quote someone *cough you, cough*, "you can't compare Halo 3 and The Legend of Zelda, they're not the same type of game" so what I'm trying to say is there's not many (if any) similarities between Wendy's and Arby's besides the fact that it's fast food I suppose.

Bond
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Five Guys?

Typhoid
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd rather have a burger than five guys.

Renwood
04-26-2008, 07:29 PM
To quote someone *cough you, cough*, "you can't compare Halo 3 and The Legend of Zelda, they're not the same type of game" so what I'm trying to say is there's not many (if any) similarities between Wendy's and Arby's besides the fact that it's fast food I suppose.

A case can be made that they are beginning to cross over in their offerings, given that they've both branched off from their staples (burgers, roast beef sandwiches) into more general deli meat products, and in that regard, I think Arby's handily bests Wendy's. The Arby's deli sandwiches are quite good for fast food fare. Wendy's not so much.

But I wasn't thinking in terms of the actual foodstuffs (burgers > fries, or vice-versa) in my assessment, as much as general food quality, customer service, and restaurant cleanliness. I've never had a bad sandwich from Arby's, but I've had a number of less-than-stellar Wendy's burgers. Ditto on having experienced some dirty, dirty Wendy's establishments on road trips. I may have been very lucky, but I haven't been to a 'bad' Arby's.

If Arby's management trickles down and results in a more consistent and quality experience at Wendy's, I think that's great.

And to the guy who favors Wendy's over Five Guys: I said wow.

Dyne
I'd rather have a burger than five guys.

Would you rather have a Manwich™ or a Manwich?

Aladuf
Five Guys?

It's pretty much just on the East coast in a few places I believe but here's a sample of what you get:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd122/RatedRKO_23/tb-five.jpg

*And that is WAY less fries than what you get, they literally fill up a paper lunch bag with fries.

Typhoid
Would you rather have a Manwich™ or a Manwich?

The one with the better tasting sauce and meat.

Renwood
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
*And that is WAY less fries than what you get, they literally fill up a paper lunch bag with fries.
Two paper bags if you have to wait on your order.

We need to go again.

Aladuf
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Two paper bags if you have to wait on your order.

We need to go again.

Oh my god I was just gonna say that we need to go again.

Dyne
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
That reminds me, Fatburger is amazing. (And has, hands down, the BEST salad fast food has ever offered.)

Bond
04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
It's pretty much just on the East coast in a few places I believe but here's a sample of what you get:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd122/RatedRKO_23/tb-five.jpg

Christ. I've lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but apparently my family just never went there.

Typhoid
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
That burger looks pretty gross, to me.

GameMaster
04-26-2008, 08:07 PM
What a rip-off! This is just like the time I bought that Breakfast machine.

Professor S
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Curly Fries alone are better than Wendy's entire menu.

Sorry to hear Burger King is terrible around you all in Canada. To me the Whopper is still the king of fast food burgers. In genral, though, I've always thouht Canada was way behiind in the international sandwich war.

"Can I get american cheese on my cheesesteak?"
"No American, only swiss, provolone and cheddar. And its a [/i]Philly Steak and Cheese[/i]"
"Ok... (to myself) Man, I can't get american cheese anywhere in Toronto..."
"Are you in america?"
"What? You have swiss... am I in FUCKING SWITZERLAND?"

Actul conversation at my hotel retaurant in St. Kitts. Overall that was the only bad impression I ever got while living in the Toronto area.

Aladuf
04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Christ. I've lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, but apparently my family just never went there.

I'm sorry, you missed out.

That burger looks pretty gross, to me.

You're insane. ;)

Dyne
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I only had fish for dinner - I am totally going out tonight and getting a Baconator. Calories be damned. I want a burger because of this thread.

Aladuf
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Get a Spicy Baconator Dyne. You'll thank me later.

Dyne
04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah but it's just.. a Baconator with Jalapeno slices. Isn't it?

Aladuf
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
No, it has like Monterey Jack cheese and some spicy sauce along with the Jalepenos. It's way better than a normal Baconator IMO.

Edit: I do like spicy foods a lot though so I'm biased. haha

Dyne
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
I love spicy food too.. hmmm. I think I may have to splurge.

Fox 6
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I thought the burgers at Red Robin in the states were better than in Canada. Weird.

Dyne
04-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Now that was a satisfying burger. It probably wasn't the best time they would make one, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I couldn't even remember where I was after I finished. >_>

The Germanator
04-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I can't even remember the last time I had a fast food burger. I give props to BK for actually having a veggie burger on the regular menu because every other place you are pretty much screwed if you want something legitimately healthy. I'm not even a vegetarian, but damn if there isn't anything that bugs me more than the idea of a fast food burger. There are times when I pray for a Subway on tour and I think that Subway fucking sucks...

Arby's Curly Fries are good, and the Wendy's Spicy Chicken is always a favorite, but it's probably been a good year or two since I've even had that.

DeathsHand
04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, Five Guys is a burger chain that originated here in Arlington, received high acclaim, took over the DC area, and started springing up at other places around the East Coast...

"Since franchising, it has also received awards in other cities, including Annapolis, Charlotte, Richmond, Charlottesville, Johnstown, Philadelphia, and Virginia Beach."
(And Pittsburgh)

Wait, so you'd rather have Wendy's than Five Guys?! What the hell?.

No, Five Guys is definitely better than Wendy's... Five Guys is a step above fast food... The Five Guys is also 2 blocks closer to my house than the local Wendy's :D

But a block BEFORE the Five Guys is the little local sandwich shop (Earl's, not affiliated with the Earl of Sandwich) I work at, which I think even tops Five Guys (mainly because Five Guys only serves their burgers cooked well-done)... Which also happens to roast whole turkeys for their turkey sandwiches and have what we've heard many people call the best roast beef (freshly roasted top-round) sandwiches in the DC area, in addition to a number of other things (hand-cut fries, cookies baked from scratch, pork sandwiches, pork soda)...

I'm just sayin', is all I'm sayin'... Five Guys is good, but I think their reputation is a tad bit overblown...

On another note, I'm not really a big fan of french fries... But Arby's curly fries... nummy nummy...

GameMaster
04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
I can't even remember the last time I had a fast food burger. I give props to BK for actually having a veggie burger on the regular menu because every other place you are pretty much screwed if you want something legitimately healthy. I'm not even a vegetarian, but damn if there isn't anything that bugs me more than the idea of a fast food burger.

Yeah, I became a vegetarian a little over a year ago and Burger King is the only place left for me. Not to mention, the veggie is pretty good. I can't say I miss my old buddies Whopper or Whopper Jr. either.

However, Burger King is also quite the devil's advocate for offering double and tripple stacked Whoppers. And if you add bacon and cheese to either one of those, God only knows what happens to your arteries and heart.

Fuddruckers also has veggie burgers but I don't go to my local one all too often.

Arby's Curly Fries are good, and the Wendy's Spicy Chicken is always a favorite, but it's probably been a good year or two since I've even had that.

Those items are probably worst than most burgers, health-wise.

I looked up the nutritional info at McDonalds, and their premium crispy chicken strips were the most unhealthy item they offer. I think it had like 3 times the amount of calories you're supposed to intake in one day. *shudders*

Renwood
04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
The damage has been done. Roll.

Swan
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I always found that the Baconator didn't have enough meat. And with 3 patties its too much. I just can't find that happy medium in between them

-alpha-
04-29-2008, 12:55 AM
i don't think i've ever seen an Arby's in Toronto...don't even know if they exist here...and i prefer BK to all the burger fast food chains.

Actually I just noticed a few days ago, there's on in Scarborough Town Center at the food court, I haven't tried it yet either, but I may in near future. They just look so damn good in the commercials.

KillerGremlin
04-29-2008, 03:44 AM
The Chicago-land area has a local chain, Portillos, and they basically have the best fuckin' fast food around. Delicious hotdogs and roast beef sandwiches, and they have really good shakes.

Wendy's definitely has the best burgers when compared to McDonalds and Burger King. I actually haven't been to Burger King in about 3 or 4 years because their food doesn't really do anything for me. Arbys is amazing too. Basically, any merge with Arby's and Wendy's is okay in my book.

As far as late night goes, if I'm not eating at Portillos, White Castle is my favorite fast food joint, but I'm only down for it once or twice a year. Mostly due to the fact that all their food cleans your colon out. Steak and Shake is pretty good too. Then I usually aim for a Wendy's or Arby's.

So, sounds like a good merge to me.

gekko
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
However, Burger King is also quite the devil's advocate for offering double and tripple stacked Whoppers. And if you add bacon and cheese to either one of those, God only knows what happens to your arteries and heart.

Even better, you can get the BK Stack (beef, cheese, bacon, special sauce) in Double, Triple, and Quad varieties :D

I never realized how much I like Arby's until I moved away from MN where I can go 0.5 miles in three directions from my house and get to Arby's. There even used to be an Arby's inside the local mall, and one across the street as a stand-alone. I got sick of it.

Then I moved to Cali, where there's about one Arby's per 100 miles. The nearest one to me was 65 miles away, and yes I made the drive one or twice to get 5 Beef and Cheddar's for $5 (and 1/3 tank gas).

Now I finally have Arby's close again, and I can truly enjoy it. Most food joints there's like 2 or 3 items that I really like, maybe 2 or 3 more that I'll eat, and a bunch that I would nevr order. Arby's is one of the few places where I like pretty much the entire menu, and having one close allows me to get something different and not worry about driving 65 miles and not even getting roast beef! That, and the French Dip rocks!

But I'll give Wendy's credit. I had their Spicy Chicken Go Wrap last night, and it was surprisingly big. Not so big that it'll fill you up, but if you order 2 you'll be quite happy. They were at least twice the size of the similar things at McDonalds, and I always liked the idea (basically a salad in a tortilla), but I'd order 2 at McDonalds and felt like I didn't eat anything, then need to go back for a double quarter pounder, super-sized. It was crap! Wendy's made them at least twice the size and only $1.49.

Bond
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
You're insane. ;)
Oh my god! There's a Five Guys here! In Madison, Wisconsin! I am totally going next week.

What should I order?