PDA

View Full Version : Shall we reset the arcade scores?

Bond
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
It seems to me as though in our recent spirit of promoting forum activity, it would be productive to reset the arcade scores, since a new one has not been achieved in quite a while. But I thought we'd put this to a vote to see what everyone thinks.

Dyne
04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
No, Typhoid has expressed interest in adding way more games, though. I think we can facilitate that.

Typhoid
04-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Resetting the scores is a bad idea. What does it accomplish other than disheartening those who maybe had a really fluke-y game of something and got a good score?

However to bring more life to the arcade, I'd say get rid of the kitchy games (like the Resident Evil one) and add more classic-ish games.

Or maybe reset certain scores. From members who don't stick around so much anymore.
I don't know if resetting scores is a mass thing, or if you can pick and choose, though.

Dyne
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I think we can reset certain scores. But if we did a few then we might as well do them all (which I'm not a proponent of, personally.)

Typhoid
04-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I think we can reset certain scores. But if we did a few then we might as well do them all (which I'm not a proponent of, personally.)

What I was saying in so many words is get rid of Cubeman's scores.
I've never seen him post.

I'm not saying clear them all. I voted against it.

Bond
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Amazingly, he has never posted, but he has played Snake over 1000 times.

Yoda9864
04-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Doesn't it keep the best score of all time? What's the difference between best score of all time and actual highscore champion?

Swan
04-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Well if you guys reset the scores then you know I will just do what I did last time and get all of them in my name

GameMaster
04-26-2008, 01:21 AM
I'd like to reset the Spider-Man jumping game since the guy who took my record never posts either.

Bond
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
We could still keep the current high scores in a thread or something.

The Germanator
04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I worked DAMN hard on that Snake score...I don't want to have to put myself through that again.

Bond
04-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, this seems to be a divisive issue, so the high scores will remain intact.

Angrist
04-27-2008, 05:15 AM
I totally forgot about the arcade.

Jason1
04-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Personally I dont think they should be reset. I voted no. Thats like resetting all the baseball records or somethig. It just aint right.

manasecret
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Doesn't it keep the best score of all time? What's the difference between best score of all time and actual highscore champion?

Yeah, isn't the point so that you reset the high scores every week or so, in order to keep people playing for that high score of the week. But you always have the highest score ever recorded. That way you get the best of both worlds kinda sorta.

Typhoid
04-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the arcade layout needs an overhaul, while the topic is up.
It looks so messy and un-appealing right now.
It needs to look more linear.
Instead of having each game have a giant block, 4 a row, maybe one on top of the other, with a picture to the left, and maybe the top three highschores to the right.
Something a little "neater".

Also we need a Helicopter game again.
Maybe a mini-golf game, and the high score will be the least amount of strokes.
Remove that one game that doesn't calculate scores.
Remove the games nobody plays (unless it's duck hunt, because then I'll kill you).

Dyne
04-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, the format is static because it's a plug-in for vBulletin. I would have a field day with it if I knew how.

Typhoid
04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought you were able to tweak Vbulletin though, to affect layouts and stuff?

GameMaster
04-29-2008, 12:27 AM
1. Is our vBulletin the latest version?

2. Assuming it's possible, has there ever been thought about switching to the open-source phpBB forums?

Dyne
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
1. No, we're like 4 versions behind as far as I know.

2. Hahahahahahahaha. (Not really.)

GameMaster
04-29-2008, 04:32 AM
1. No, we're like 4 versions behind as far as I know.

2. Hahahahahahahaha. (Not really.)

So does it cost to upgrade? There's probably cool new features and ticks we're missing out on. If money is an obstacle, let's throw a PayPal donation button up here somewhere. I've got an economic stimulus check from the government just waiting to be tossed to the wind.

I don't know much about vBulletin or phpBB. Were you laughing because my question was ludicrous or is phpBB really bad?

Dyne
04-29-2008, 06:36 AM
phpBB is terrible. I can't remember one offhand that hasn't been hacked or invaded by bots. It simply doesn't have neither the support nor the technology to be really good.

No, it doesn't cost anything to upgrade - we just need Neo to do it.

KillerGremlin
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh man, I love finding random abandoned forums that have been invaded by spam bots. Spam bots are like herpes, once you have them they're there to stay forever.

By the way, what amazing drug was Joeiss smoking when he rocked that Tetris score? I swear he spent at least 3 hours playing to achieve that score.

Typhoid
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
There's this forum I post in, and it sort of got a little vacant.
And the spam-bots that invaded that forum were really smart, it was scary.

They were talking...to each other, and having actual conversations about mundane things, added eachother to their friend list, and were attempting to set up arrangements to go for coffee, before one of them seemingly malfunctioned and spouted off his love of cheaply priced video game consoles that are purchasable online.

Dylflon
04-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I think we need to make Connect 2 calculate scores. I don't want to see it go though. I just want it to work, damnit!