PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite TV show? (or, which DVD boxset/tropical island question)

Dyne
04-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I've been watching Miami Vice a lot today, probably due to the mother-load of finals I have due in the next few days. And I realized why I like it so much. It's so completely diverse. It's got a lot of drama, a lot of comedy (sometimes unintentional due to the time period differences now), a lot of action, and just a general all-around likable cast. If I had to be stuck on a tropical island, I'd definitely be stuck with the 5 seasons of Miami Vice.

jeepnut
04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Dirty Jobs is my favorite of the current television shows. I don't really watch any current scripted television.

The Germanator
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
As I am currently re-watching the first season, I'm going to have to with Twin Peaks (http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Definitive-Gold-Complete/dp/B000UX6THK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1208145236&sr=8-1). While parts of the second season are admittedly slow, and well, kind of boring and pointless, the first season and end of the series is probably the most brilliant thing ever put on television. David Lynch is a genius, and the show was only great when he was truly interested (hence the dip the show took mid-second season when Lynch lost interest). It's a shame the show was canceled, as it had a lot of potential...Looking back at it now, it's hard to believe that this show was on network TV back in 1990 as it was way of ahead of its time and probably its audience as well. Anyway, the show is only two seasons, so I highly recommend you check it out...Definitely worth it.

Runner-ups would probably be The Wire (could probably re-watch all 5 seasons again soon) and Arrested Development.

Edit: Forgot to add that the many interpretations that can be made from Twin Peaks would make it a great box set to have on a desert island. There are many theories and ideas about what certain things mean in the show and I'm sure if I had time on a desert island a 100+ page thesis could be written about it...

Also, I haven't seen the show, but wouldn't having LOST on a desert island be just a tad tacky?

Fox 6
04-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Either LOST or Arrested Development.

GameMaster
04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Ooh, can't narrow it to one.

I'm actually in the midst of The Wire right now (season 4). Almost everything on HBO is top-notch.

Oz was great. Six Feet Under. The Sopranos. Big Love. Tell Me You Love Me. Deadwood (which ended way too soon). And for your comical thirst, Curb Your Enthusiasm, of course.

Then there's mainstream programming. Greats shows like The Office, 24, LOST, Prison Break, Seinfeld, The X-Files, House.

Only show I've seen on FX yet is Rescue Me. Involves a lot of the same folks from another show called The Job.

On the AMC channel we got Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Which are both shaping up to be good shows.

Then we got HBO's direct competitor, Showtime, which features the following excellent shows: Dexter, The L Word, Weeds, and The Tudors.

Freaks and Geeks is good too. Don't know which network it was on.

And the ones I'd be embarrassed to share: Smallville (which I lost interest in during Season 6). Beauty and the Geek, a cheap reality/contest show. I probably wouldn't tell people I watch The L Word. And of course there was that brief period of time when I watched Dawson's Creek >_<

But... since this is a small island and I can only fit one it would have to be... The Office. It's a great comedy but it also has some very touching moments which just really make you feel for the characters. Take Michael for example. He's funny as hell. And he's a terrible boss. But he has such a big heart. In the end, he always acts in the interest of his employees. And he means well.

jeepnut
04-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Well look who's back from his little vacation!

ulala06
04-14-2008, 01:15 AM
the venture bros.

non cartoon: FRIENDS

Dyne
04-14-2008, 01:40 AM
And the ones I'd be embarrassed to share: Smallville (which I lost interest in during Season 6).

Hahaha, the other day when I was with my friend on Skytrain, she pointed out a little section of outside movie set with a gas station and small town and stuff, which she said is used for Smallville. I got a kick out of it. I want to start watching it to see if I can recognize it. (And for Kristin Kreuk. :sneaky: )

GameMaster
04-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Hahaha, the other day when I was with my friend on Skytrain, she pointed out a little section of outside movie set with a gas station and small town and stuff, which she said is used for Smallville. I got a kick out of it. I want to start watching it to see if I can recognize it. (And for Kristin Kreuk. :sneaky: )

Don't forget Erica Durance (Lois Lane) ;)

Its actually a pretty decent show. Although most will agree the later seasons aren't quite as good. That could change though. The creators announced they're leaving after this season. So it could get better... or worse...

Bube
04-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd have to say Everybody Loves Raymond. But when I think about it, I'd have to add Scrubs, Lost and House.

Professor S
04-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Battlestar for current shows.

DVD: Farscape and Dr. Who

Angrist
04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
non cartoon: FRIENDS/agree
It's just so easy to watch. For my taste of relaxing TV, it's the perfect mix of humor and story. And recognizibility.

Vampyr
04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
House is really the only TV show I watch.

I like watching G4 when I'm at home. Ninja Warrior!

thatmariolover
04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Battlestar for current shows.

DVD: Farscape and Dr. Who

I can honestly say, I've never felt like I could truly relate to you until this moment. BSG and Farscape are also my favorite shows. I haven't really gotten into Dr. Who much though. Guess I better give it another try.

manasecret
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Awww group hug!

I'm getting Sopranos soon. I've never seen any of them, and now it will be like one long movie!

Currently, not watching anything besides SouthPark and GhostHunters, if I get a chance. Most times I have to miss them. I really want a DVR.

Professor S
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I can honestly say, I've never felt like I could truly relate to you until this moment. BSG and Farscape are also my favorite shows. I haven't really gotten into Dr. Who much though. Guess I better give it another try.

Dr. Who was good with Chris Eccleston, but ever since David Tennant took over the role its be excellent. Season two has some of the best sci-fi stories ever to grace a television.

Aladuf
04-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Arrested Development is/was/will always be my favorite TV show ever! But lately, I've been enjoying LOST, and by BaB's recommendation I watched all 6 seasons of 24 this year (such an awesome show!)

BlueFire
04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Lost... or scrubs

Professor S
04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I almost forgot, but I recently discovered That Mitchell and Webb Look on BBC America and its one of the funniest sketch comedy shows I've ever seen. I literally could not stop laughing on Sunday during a marathon the show. I thought I was going to pass out.

I added some of their best sketches here if you want to check them out:

http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17825

Jason1
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
The only shows I really watch are The Office and Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia.

The Germanator
04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I might add the Twilight Zone as one as well...I could probably watch 16-24 hours of the 48 hour marathon when it comes on New Year's Day and July 4th.

Fox 6
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia.

Hahaha great show, also Flight of the Conchords

Typhoid
04-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree with Jason1, IASIP is my favourite show, and the most under-rated show in the world.