PDA

View Full Version : Most Embarassing Music

ulala06
04-13-2008, 01:27 AM
What're some of the bands that you are most embarrassed to listen to? I mean REALLY listen to, not just own.

Mine would have to be Type O Negative.

DeathsHand
04-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Guess that depends...

Christian Death's "Only Theater of Pain" is such ridiculous goofy goth nonsense, but it's soooo good...

And The Zombies haven't earned me much street cred amongst my peeps...
Quite the opposite in fact... Apparently dreamy soft pop that falls somewhere in between The Beatles and The Beach Boys isn't hip where I live... And/or amongst my age group...
But everybody should at least own 'Odessey and Oracle', though there's also quality scattered through their earlier album and singles...

Angrist
04-13-2008, 03:40 AM
Even though they make good music and I like it, most people here hate The Kelly Family. And Celine Dion, whose music I also like.
Oh, the hundreds of Zelda songs I own are also pretty embarrassing to some.

Dylflon
04-13-2008, 05:39 AM
I'm embarrassed of most things Typhoid listens to.

Typhoid
04-13-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm not embarrased by anything I listen to.
Currently listening to:

Feist, Arcade Fire, Raconteurs, Modest Mouse, The Most Serene Republic, Broken Social Scene, Chad VanGaalen, Danko Jones, Foo Fighters, Gob, The Hives, The Killers and Wintersleep.

Not much to be ashamed of there.
The most shameful band I've been listening to for the past while would be like...all the old Beastie Boys songs.

Professor S
04-13-2008, 09:06 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Bat_out_of_Hell.jpg

jeepnut
04-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I like the "Songs by Jim Steinman" subtitle on there.

ulala06
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
And The Zombies haven't earned me much street cred amongst my peeps...

i like the zombies too. the most embarassing song is probably either A ROSE FOR EMILY or THE WAY I FEEL INSIDE. Most people can't appreciate a decent ballad with minimal music. lol

Vampyr
04-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Prince!

Perfect Stu
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I listen to "Toxic" by Britney Spears every now and then.

Jason1
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Hm, I usually dont go around telling people I like Jewell and Alanis Morrisette.

But I do.

The Germanator
04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
I dig "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, and a lot of Gwen Stefani. There are some of those top 40 songs that are actually very good songs, and I have no problem admitting that.

The Zombies are a great band by the way...Nothing to be embarrassed about for sure.

Perfect Stu
04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
The Zombies are a great band by the way...Nothing to be embarrassed about for sure.

Yeah, I don't know them too well but 'She's not There' and 'Time of the Season' (probably their two biggest hits?) get a lot of play time on my iPod.

GameMaster
04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
I dig "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, and a lot of Gwen Stefani. There are some of those top 40 songs that are actually very good songs, and I have no problem admitting that.

My friend and I joke about that. Cause we both have a liking for what we call 'girl songs'. Something that music elitists would call 'talentless pop' maybe?

Kelly Clarkson, Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Avril Lavigne. My friend could list more. Basically the songs you hear more than once a day on any given mainstream radio station.

A great tip for musical exposure which many here probably already know is the site Pandora. Its internet radio. You just punch in an artist or band and they purportedly use music algorithms to find similar songs and artists. And you can listen, skip songs, make your own 'stations'. Unfortunately, I think its only accessible in the U.S. right now. But our Canadian and International users could try using a proxy site to get onto it. *shrugs*

Swan
04-14-2008, 01:30 AM
I dig "Since U Been Gone" as well. It's a guilty pleasure song really.

I would have to say probably James Blunt for me. Most of my friends are big metal heads and yeah.

Angrist
04-14-2008, 02:50 AM
None of those beat mine yet!

GameMaster
04-14-2008, 03:20 AM
I forgot to mention Disney soundtracks.

I'm not talking about the new Disney movies. I mean the classics.

Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid etc...

One of the cornerstones of a classic Disney movie is for the character(s) to further the plot through song.

Whether its Uncle Scar singing about his plot to kill Mufasa or Aladdin trying to justify committing petty crimes with "One Jump Ahead" or even lovable, Jamaican crab, Sebastian, singing about life "Unduh da Sea."

I may not know each song by heart anymore, but I can definitely stand my own when I'm called to recite a few lines.

cmb7869
04-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I listen to "Toxic" by Britney Spears every now and then.

I have Toxic on a CD with songs you hear at a Strip Club I like to listen to. I never feel good about that!

KillerGremlin
04-16-2008, 02:14 AM
I like Dave Matthews. That's pretty lame.
I also enjoy a lot of movie soundtracks.

I listen to loads of classical...I love it.

I listen to Frank Sinatra.

I think Kylie Minogue is pretty amazing, and I always feel gay listening to Rob Dougan. But none of that really compares to some of the weird power metal I've listened to.

Here's a CD cover for Sonata Arctica:
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1648/sonata3946037hh.jpg

...and I listen to Nightwish occasionally.

It's safe to say that all power metal is gay. Even Iron Maiden sucks ass, and they're like the fathers of gay-lame-ass metal. I still love it though.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to bust out my prog-rock/metal or power metal, when a female chorus comes up my friends always make fun of me. But that's okay, because I'm miles ahead of 99.999% of my friends musically. My obscure collection of awesome not embarrassing music easily makes up for my embarrassing stuff.

Oh, and Type O Negative is fun, I listen to them approximately every Halloween.

Bube
04-16-2008, 07:27 AM
I'm usually the one who listens to rock/alternative/classic in my group of friends (and they usually listen to whatever is on the radio) but I was still embarrassed to admit that I like Kylie Minogue. I just love her voice, and her songs seem so catchy..

Kylie Minogue is about 4195 times better than whatever my friends listen to, so I don't know why I was embarrassed.

Dyne
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Actually yeah, Kylie Minogue is great. Definitely the most refined pop idol around nowadays, and hasn't burnt out. Not even Madonna's been able to keep reinventing herself successfully after all these years.

jeepnut
04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I like Dave Matthews. That's pretty lame.
I also enjoy a lot of movie soundtracks.

I listen to loads of classical...I love it.

I listen to Frank Sinatra.

I think Kylie Minogue is pretty amazing, and I always feel gay listening to Rob Dougan. But none of that really compares to some of the weird power metal I've listened to.

Here's a CD cover for Sonata Arctica:
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1648/sonata3946037hh.jpg

...and I listen to Nightwish occasionally.

It's safe to say that all power metal is gay. Even Iron Maiden sucks ass, and they're like the fathers of gay-lame-ass metal. I still love it though.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to bust out my prog-rock/metal or power metal, when a female chorus comes up my friends always make fun of me. But that's okay, because I'm miles ahead of 99.999% of my friends musically. My obscure collection of awesome not embarrassing music easily makes up for my embarrassing stuff.

Oh, and Type O Negative is fun, I listen to them approximately every Halloween.

You listen to any Blind Guardian? That's my power metal of choice. Dragonforce is fun too.

I'm sorry though, a female sung chorus in the middle of a metal song is just beautiful. I can't get enough of it. I don't own any Nightwish, but I've heard a bit. It's pretty good stuff. Nothing to ashamed of.

KillerGremlin
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
You listen to any Blind Guardian? That's my power metal of choice. Dragonforce is fun too.

Blind Guardian is exceptionally cool, because they combined two awesome things, power metal AND the works of Tolkien. I haven't listened to them in a while, but you've motivated me to bust out A Night at the Opera and Nightfall in Middle-Earth. I recommend Kamelot if you enjoy the female choruses, there are some awesome moments on their album Epica. They're American too, so you don't have to worry about liking their accents. I went through a pretty lengthy power metal phase, and I listened to a lot of Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius. Dragonforce is entertaining, and insanely technical, but I can only tolerate so much of their music. I feel cool for knowing about them way before they became famous though.

Swan
04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
I really don't listen to enough Blind Guardian or Sonata Artica, though the stuff I have heard blew my mind.

I dig Hammerfall as well because there videos are just so over the top and fantastical. Blood bound they are on top of a giant friggin' war hammer in the middle of a frozen waste land. You just can't beat that.

And Dragonforce is just plain old fun. Fast, powerful and .....welll fast. They put on quite a good live show as well even though they are all drunk off their asses

jeepnut
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I really don't listen to enough Blind Guardian or Sonata Artica, though the stuff I have heard blew my mind.

I dig Hammerfall as well because there videos are just so over the top and fantastical. Blood bound they are on top of a giant friggin' war hammer in the middle of a frozen waste land. You just can't beat that.

And Dragonforce is just plain old fun. Fast, powerful and .....welll fast. They put on quite a good live show as well even though they are all drunk off their asses

Yeah, I saw them open up for Killswitch Engage. They come out for the first song and Sam, one of the guitar players, totally flubs the opening riff and Herman, the other guitar player, is just making this face like "God, that's awful." They definitely don't take themselves too seriously which makes them a lot of fun despite the fact that they are really sloppy live.

Do you guys listen to any other metal or just power metal?

P.S. I think A Night at the Opera is going to be my next Blind Guardian purchase. I currently have Nightfall and A Twist in the Myth. I like Nightfall the best of the two.

Dyne
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
I listen to Amon Amarth and have been to a concert - I don't consider it embarassing, though.

My brother's a metalhead though and he could probably rattle you off every band ever. I basically leave the metal to him.

Swan
04-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah I went to the Amon Amarth concert late last year. Quite kick ass.

I would have to say my favorite metal band would be Mastodon. Korpiklaani (I probably spelled that wrong) is pretty bad ass as well.

I don't listen to much new mainstream metal though.

KillerGremlin
04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you guys listen to any other metal or just power metal?

I'm not up to date on my metal these days, but I listen to all sorts of metal. I have a lot of rap and hip-hop on my ipod at the moment, but Metallica is always in my rotation. I keep a couple of stoner metal bands on my ipod, usually Clutch or Bongzilla, and I always keep some technical stuff on there like Dillinger Escape Plan or Mastodon or Meshuggah. I enjoy post-rock and drone metal, so I'm a frequent listener of Isis and Pelican, recently I've been listening to a lot of Earth and Boris, both pretty sweet bands. And I keep some alternative metal on there, As I Lay Dying is great workout music. So yeah, gotta stay well-rounded with the metal.

Seth
04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Ben Harper and Jack Johnson. Haven't actually listened to either in a long time but I like a few of their songs. Rush cuz of Geddy Lee's voice...sometimes.

jeepnut
04-17-2008, 06:48 PM

I would have to say my favorite metal band would be Mastodon. Korpiklaani (I probably spelled that wrong) is pretty bad ass as well.

Yeah, I like me some Amon Amarth. The only CD of theirs I have is "With Oden on Our Side." Do you recommend any of the others?

And if you guys like technical stuff, I highly recommend Becoming the Archetype (http://www.myspace.com/becomingthearchetype) and Aletheian. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8829966)

I have yet to get into Mastodon. I think I listened to one or two of their songs a long time ago and they just didn't catch with me. Maybe I should give them a second shot.

As far as mainstream metal goes, not really into it either. Killswitch Engage is about as mainstream as I get.

Dyne
04-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Yeah, that's the one I went to. Nice!

Jeepnut: All the albums are good, except for their first demo, "Thor Arise", that they released in 1993. I could do without that one.

Swan
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, that's the one I went to. Nice!

Jeepnut: All the albums are good, except for their first demo, "Thor Arise", that they released in 1993. I could do without that one.

Yeah I thought that I saw you, I wasn't fully sure but I thought right I guess. Great show. Rocked my face off

And as for Mastodon I suggest checking out this song. Easily one of my favorite songs of all time.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-2alwdcmrs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-2alwdcmrs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I still can't decide which album I like more though, Leviathan or Blood Mountain. They are both so damn good