PDA

View Full Version : Typh's somewhat weekly CD reviews

Typhoid
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
There is very little music talk here, so I shall try to compensate.
I like music. It is, as some would say, my boyfriend. I listen to a lot of different types and styles, and I will try to cheaply review some CD's from time to time, here. They may not always be brand new, sometimes it might be something that just needs more attention.

For the first, I'll start with The Raconteurs, Jack White's other-other band.

The Raconteurs released their second album. Consolers of the lonely in a rush style, announcing the release date a week before the actual release, followed by tour dates. So this might go under some people's radar.

The CD, to simply put it, is solid. Start to finish, it's a raw rock album with an old-style sound to it, with thick basslines, raw guitars, and light melodies. The standout tracks on the album - for me - are Salute your solution, and Hold Up. If you want to get a little more melodic, but not too much, Rich Kid Blues might be more your style.

I would highly recommend purchasing the album, if you liked their debut at all, or if you generally like good music. This is one of those albums that will stay in your CD player for months on repeat.

Dylflon
04-13-2008, 05:42 AM
I was only moderately impressed with their first outing so I'm not sure about shelling out the dough for this one. Unless you'd say it's significantly better.

Typhoid
04-13-2008, 05:56 AM
I'd personally say it's much better, but I don't want to mess up your perspective and have you waste the money on an album you're not going to listen to.

Jason1
04-13-2008, 06:24 PM
R.E.M. has a new album out, called Accelerate.

I was actually very impressed, its a LOT better than Around the Sun.

Dyne
04-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I really like this CD. Personally, I much prefer it compared to the White Stripe's catalogue.

Typhoid
04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
R.E.M. has a new album out, called Accelerate.

I was actually very impressed, its a LOT better than Around the Sun.

I was going to do that one for the first review, but I've only heard "Supernatural, Superserious", which by the way I love.

Jason1
04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I was going to do that one for the first review, but I've only heard "Supernatural, Superserious", which by the way I love.

Yea I just downloaded it, which is not something I normally do but im really short on cash right now. And I felt particularly bad about it at first, because Stipe said in an interview awhile back that if Accelerate dosent sell better than Around the Sun did, it could be the end. Luckily its selling pretty good so far.

The Germanator
04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not a huge Raconteurs fan and a friend was playing this new CD today and I thought it was okay...I just don't really find their style of rock and roll music all that appealing...Jack White is way too into just doing guitar shredding which is fine if you're into that kind of thing, but having to watch them live a few times, I got extremely bored of it. They are definitely a solid band, but it's not for me, and Jack White looks like a vampire if you get too close to him. He's got body guards too, so I didn't try to talk to him. Brendan Benson and "Little Jack" (bass player) seem a little more chilled out though.

Swan
04-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Just got back from the Mama's Cookin' and JBT show and picked up the Mama's Cookin' album....Well more like had some guy just give it to me.

I'm quite enjoying it. Alot different then most of the new stuff I have heard and they were amazing live

Dylflon
04-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I'd personally say it's much better, but I don't want to mess up your perspective and have you waste the money on an album you're not going to listen to.

I'll buy it if it rocks.

I didn't dislike the first Cd. It just didn't do much for me.

I'm willing to give them another go.

KillerGremlin
04-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Oh man, the first Raconteurs album was terrible. I don't even think it was worth downloading. I'm afraid to listen to the new album. I like Jack White and I'm a modest White Stripes fan; I enjoy their fetish for resurrecting 70's rock, but Unida and Wolfmother do it way better. I'd bet good money that more people would be happy downloading Wolfmother's self-titled rocker than the new Raconteurs album.

I've heard a lot of people saying that the new R.E.M. album is good. "A kick-back to the 80s albums." I'm afraid to listen to it though, because I grew up on a steady diet of R.E.M.. When my dad wasn't listening to the Beatles or the Stones he was alterning (alterning is the alternative form of rocking) out to R.E.M..

I grew up on Reckoning and Life's Rich Pageant so I don't know....R.E.M. was a good band up until Document, and then it was downhill from there. They still had some awesome singles, but there is nothing quite as magical as Life's Rich Pageant.

I still will probably check out Accelerate, I've heard too many good things. Don't let me down popular opinion!

Dyne
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Might as well keep it in the music reviews thread, but I FINALLY found a copy of Pride Tiger's CD - "The Lucky Ones."

Fantastically rockin' old school album by this new Canadian group. Every song on the album is strong and well orchestrated. I use the White Stripes as an example when I say this - it's not like, if you liked Blue Orchid and you went and bought the White Stripes album it's on - and found out none of the other songs were like Blue Orchid. In this case, EVERY song is genuinely Pride Tiger-sounding, and, overall, a rockin' good time. Hell, the band pretty much proves itself based on the fact their drummer IS their singer (like, holy shit) and they use vintage guitars for the recording. Kick ass.

I recommend this album if you can even find it.

Jason1
04-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I downloaded Consolers of the Lonley, and im pretty impressed by it so far. I like Accelerate better (just to compare it to another recent CD) but its pretty dang good.

jeepnut
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
and they use vintage guitars for the recording. Kick ass.

Doesn't everyone do that these days?

The Germanator
04-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Doesn't everyone do that these days?

Yeah...From my experience with studios, if you don't have a wide selection of vintage guitars and instruments, then you don't have a cool studio.

Dyne
04-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Ok, this is ridiculous, I've probably listened to this album 6 times through already. I definitely recommend it.

Seth
04-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Happy birthday Typh!
What are your thoughts on Las Vegas?
I hope i'm right on the day....

Typhoid
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
This week's CD review:

The Sun and the Moon by The Bravery.

Now, I have had this album for over a year, so I don't have the "recently released double CD version superextravaganze money-grab" edition on it. I just have the original.

So the CD starts out strong, with songs like Believe, and Bad Sun. For the slower music lovers, there are songs like Tragedy Bound and Fistful of Sand - but even those are still mildly uptempo and undeniably poppy.
Personally, even though I got the CD a long time ago, this is a good mainstay for any summer CD player. It's a solid album from start to finish, although notmuch of a departure of style of their first album. But why improve on what already works and sounds good, right?

All in all, It's a solid CD. If you liked the first album, you'll like this one. 7/10

BreakABone
04-23-2008, 01:28 PM
This week's CD review:

The Sun and the Moon by The Bravery.

Now, I have had this album for over a year, so I don't have the "recently released double CD version superextravaganze money-grab" edition on it. I just have the original.

So the CD starts out strong, with songs like Believe, and Bad Sun. For the slower music lovers, there are songs like Tragedy Bound and Fistful of Sand - but even those are still mildly uptempo and undeniably poppy.
Personally, even though I got the CD a long time ago, this is a good mainstay for any summer CD player. It's a solid album from start to finish, although notmuch of a departure of style of their first album. But why improve on what already works and sounds good, right?

All in all, It's a solid CD. If you liked the first album, you'll like this one. 7/10
May I make two suggestions.

1) I think a weekly thread would be better than bumping the same one over and over. Some folks may miss talking about a new album.
2)Include samples from the album. Either music clip or something from youtube.

Typhoid
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I didn't want to saturate the forum with new threads about music, so I was opting to do it in one. But I suppose I can make a new one each week, album specifically.

Also, reviews don't usually contain soundbytes, as movie reviews don't often include clips of the movie.

BreakABone
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I didn't want to saturate the forum with new threads about music, so I was opting to do it in one. But I suppose I can make a new one each week, album specifically.

Also, reviews don't usually contain soundbytes, as movie reviews don't often include clips of the movie.

I understand your point on the first one and it is really up to you. I just figured it would be easier since you do respond in this thread as well for people to know its a new album. Maybe if you become mod you could have one thread and just update the title with the week so we know its new.

And some reviews do. Hell, it's why I prefer Gametrailers reviews to magazines/websites. But it was just a suggestion really.

Fox 6
04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
May i suggest

The Age of the Understatement by The Last Shadow Puppets

Out on may 6th

Its Alex Turner from The Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane form The Rascals. Cannot wait for this CD.

Jason1
04-23-2008, 05:43 PM
I saw The Bravery when they opened for the Smashing Pumpkins a few months ago. I kinda like their songs but I HATE the singers look/ stage prescence...falling around and stuff, its just stupid.