PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have the info on rare third party rumor on ign??

fingersman
05-01-2002, 07:30 PM
please post it if u can...or pm me the msg please. i really want to know what is going on

UncleNoName
05-01-2002, 07:53 PM
IGN - Ed's Rumor Report

What's Going on at Rare?
You want to know. I want to know. Everyone wants to know. What in the hell is up at UK based second-party Rare? There have been literally dozens of rumors about the company in recent weeks and months, all of them questioning its allegiance to Nintendo, its future business model, and its ties to big-name third-party publishers. No solid confirmations, though. Well, hardly any.

Earlier today, however, I chatted with a source very, very close to the company, who was kind enough to fill me in on some very gritty dirt. Apparently Rare is indeed exploring a third-party structure and is determined to release many of its upcoming games across multiple consoles. An insider comments, "[Rare is] definitely, absolutely, 100% doing Xbox and PS2 development down here. They've had [Xbox and PS2] kits for three months or more."

Yikes. But it gets even worse. Some previously announced titles such as Donkey Kong Racing may not materialize as planned. Sources allege that after deciding to develop the racer for multiple platforms, Rare was asked by Nintendo to remove any and all likenesses to its licensed characters from the game. What will it be then, Monkey Racing? Not quite as compelling.

Development on the hotly anticipated Perfect Dark 0, finally, is allegedly moving along very slowly. "Team members keep quitting and it's a very small group now," revealed one leak close to the developer. Rumors abound suggest that the title won't be playable at E3 -- and in fact may not even be shown on video. Apparently Rare has been toying around with a cel-shaded look for the project, though this is not confirmed.

What the hell does all of this mean? Well, if true, it means that Nintendo's premiere second-party has decided to dabble around on other systems. In the end, GameCube owners are still likely to receive first dibs on Rare's biggest projects, but without exclusivity it's going to be a whole different ball game.

Expect more detailed announcements regarding Rare's future at E3 and beyond.

It looks like Rare is probably going 3rd-party (but this is a "Rumor Report"). It's better for them to go multi-plat though, more money to be made...

GameKinG
05-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Perrin Kaplan (Nintendo's vice president of corporate affairs) told gamespot as far as he knows this rumor is not true, and that Rare and Nintendo still have a very strong relationship together.

GS: Rare is arguably one of Nintendo's biggest assets where exclusive games are concerned. Has Rare told Nintendo that it plans on making games for other platforms besides the GameCube and Game Boy Advance in the next few years?

PK: No, our good relationship with them continues and there aren't any changes at this time. Star Fox is well on track to come out and they're continuing to do their good work. We'll see what the future holds, but we've stayed very close to them and they to us and they definitely have done good work with us over the years

fingersman
05-01-2002, 08:31 PM
ok guys thanks for the information

Old Skool
05-02-2002, 05:27 AM
posted by C&VG

Rare remained unavailable for comment today as British gossip-mongers took pains to flesh out details on what appears to be a publishing deal between the developer and publisher Activision.
"It's definite," said one source. "It's a publishing deal, not a buy-out. Can you honestly see Nintendo intellectual properties appearing on other formats when they're making billions from exclusive IP's on Nintendo hardware?"

Activision pulled down the blinds today. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it's no comment," said Roger Walkden, director of strategic marketing for Europe.

Talk emerged last night that a Perfect Dark game is to be announced for PlayStation 2 at E3, the Californian games expo kicking off on May 22. The title, quasi-sequel to James Bond shooter GoldenEye, saw strong sales on N64. Rare has been known to be working on a next generation version of the game for some time, but has never officially announced the project.

Announced games Star Fox Adventures, Kameo: Elements of Power and Donkey Kong Racing are all scheduled to appear exclusively on GameCube.

Rare itself spawned speculation towards the end of last year by sending out Christmas cards showing a tree with various consoles wrapped as presents at the base. The company subsequently denied that the card was anything than a bit of fun.

Nintendo owns 49 percent of Rare, giving the developer a controlling interest in the company.

Strong talk emerged recently that the developer was actually up for sale, with both Activision and Microsoft fingered as interested parties.

Rare is one of the world's most revered developers, having been responsible for classics such as shooter GoldenEye and inspired platformer Banjo-Kazooie. A solid relationship exists between Nintendo and Rare, with all of the developer's titles in the last generation appearing on N64 and Game Boy Color.

BigJustinW
05-02-2002, 10:49 AM
I hope a deal goes down where they develop for GCN and Xbox... but I dunno about Ps2.

I mean, Ps2's hardware will hold whatever games they make back.

fingersman
05-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Lol ...and to think, when it was christmas and stuff...we thought there was no possible way that Rare straying from Nintendo would be a possiblity. lol :D

Drunk Hobbit
05-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Maybe that's why Nintendo had Rare change Dinosaur Planet's main character to Star Fox, so they couldn't bring it to other consoles. But Conker would most likely be one to appear on Xbox.

UncleNoName
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Danchastu
Maybe that's why Nintendo had Rare change Dinosaur Planet's main character to Star Fox, so they couldn't bring it to other consoles. But Conker would most likely be one to appear on Xbox.

Isn't Conker property of Nintendo? I remember seeing that they bought the right to all of Rare's franchises like PD and Conker. I'll look for the article...

Ric
05-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Another complete bunch of innacurate and unfounded tosh.

Perfect Dark cel-Shaded HAHA... dont make me laugh. 'Not going to be shown at E3' ...uuh am I the only one who remembers that it has not been confirmed yet lol. We may have to wait for this one.

It's a load of rubbish, why am I even reading this.

BlueFire
05-02-2002, 06:00 PM
You don't believe it can happen, Ric? :unsure:

I don't know, Ric. Rare could develop for other consoles..... and I don't want to be next to you if it does. :p

DeathsHand
05-02-2002, 06:04 PM
Ric would never believe any rumor that would be negative for Nintendo or he just doesn't like... they're just a load of rubbish... but positive? "Let's just hope it's true" or something ;)

BreakABone
05-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Well, the gig is up. Rare is most likely going 3rd party, but Nintendo still owns some shares in the company. So they may be a very big Nintendo developer. As far as I could pick up, all Rare characters and franchises on the n64 are either owned or co-owned by Nintendo with the exception being Perfect Dark. So I don't know, according to that report, this issue is already casuing problems, I just hope Nintendo could be mature enough and make them get their way so they don't ditch them altogether.

Gamer
05-02-2002, 06:54 PM
I sent an e-mail yesterday to Nintendo regarding this very subject, here is the reply they gave me.

I said "There have been some rumours going around that Rareware was going to be developing for other consoles than Gamecube...is this true??? Please turn the lights on for me. :)
Gamer."

Here is what they said " As far as I know, Rare will continue to make games exclusively for Nintendo video game systems."

They didnt say too much but hopefully that is true, although, he used the words, "as far as i know" ... that isnt too reasuring.
:rolleyes: Well, i personnnally hope that it stays exclusive for Nintendo.

Professor S
05-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Ric, remember Square? Everyone said they'd never go third party either... WHOOPS:D

BigJustinW
05-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
Ric, remember Square? Everyone said they'd never go third party either... WHOOPS:D

LOL, and there was a LOT of rumors about that too... especially at a site called mips36...

Ric, it turns out that sometimes rumors are true! I'm suprised you didn't know this.

DeathsHand
05-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by The Strangler

Well... they were always third party....

But people said that they wouldn't develop for Nintendo :p

And good point...

Rumor: "Square will develop for Nintendo"

Sony Fan: "LMAOSNFOZ! THAT IS NEVER TO HAPPEN EFFAR IN YER DRIMZ NANTINDOODOO FANS HAR HAR HAR!"

Nintendo Fan: "That would be awesome! Let's hope it's true!"

Rumor: "Rare will go third party and develop for multiple consoles"

Nintendo fan: "WELL THAT'S A LOAD OF RUBBISH!"

Sony Fan: "That would be sweet!"

... *takes a bow*

:unsure:

Professor S
05-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Well Square was third party, but the only console they developed for was Sony, but they did develop for Nintendo's Gameboy hand held. So while they were technically third party, for all intents and purposes you could consider them second party.

Jason1
05-03-2002, 01:34 PM
The main thing im skeptical about is that Nintendo owns donkey kong, Star fox, PD and the likes....so if they do go multiplatform, some of their biggest franchises they wont even be able to use.

Professor S
05-03-2002, 03:09 PM
What I think Rare would do if they went third party would be to keep their main franchises on Nintendo, but then expand their newer titles to other consoles.

C.H
05-04-2002, 02:26 PM
I do think that people are getting a little carried away with this, lets say that Rare and activision are talking. Why does that mean that they will become a 3rd party themselves and develop for other consoles. And release Nintendo owned franscises on other consoles, etc, etc, etc.

Incase some of you have forgotten, this isn't the first time that a game developed by Rare has been published by some other then Nintendo.

Take Conkers Bad Fur day for example (Great game), Nintendo published it in america. BUT, they didn't publish it in europe, because of it's controversial nature. THQ published it in europe, but did that mean that CBFD would be released on PSX as well. No, all this could mean, is that perhaps for some of the mature games Rare develops. Nintendo would rather have another company like Activision publish it. Perhaps just in europe, or perhaps just in america.

Thats if Activision are talking to Rare at all, i think people have jumped on the idea and made up there own story. Like Activision to buy Rare, Activision to publish Rare games, Star fox adventures to be released on PS2, Perfect dark zero to be released on PS2, etc. And i don't think the money they make is nessacerily a problem, a lot of there games end up being big sellers. And it's not like they've lost in a big investment like Square did with the Final Fantasy movie (which ultimately pushed them to start developing for Gamecube (along with other factors tho)). If money were that important to them, they wouldn't delay there games so much :).

But seriously, i don't believe it's true.