PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil is upon us

Neo
05-01-2002, 12:07 PM
I went by Gamestop this morning and found out that they received a shipment in but were limiting sales to people who had pre-ordered. Fortunately EB got 24 copies but only 20 were reserved. I'm going to wait until tonight to play it.

I was going to post a picture to prove that I got the game (what fun is getting the game first if you can't be a dick about it) but my scanner isn't working.

DeathsHand
05-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Damn I hope the software etc. here doesn't have too many pre-orders... but if it does, I'll just hop on the metro and ride on over to Pentagon City Mall, which has a babbages and EB... along with some other stores... like uhh... Sam Goody and Best Buy, but I dunno if they'd get their shipments in yet... with Silent Hill 2, best buy got it in a day later than the game stores...

But mehopes there aren't too many pre-orders :<

BigJustinW
05-01-2002, 12:29 PM
I'll rent it this weekend... I'm in no rush to play this game.

Neo
05-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DeathsHand
Damn I hope the software etc. here doesn't have too many pre-orders... but if it does, I'll just hop on the metro and ride on over to Pentagon City Mall,

Is it shaped like an actual pentagon?

DeathsHand
05-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Neo

Is it shaped like an actual pentagon?

No... No it's not... but it's near the pentagon :p Kinda... like on the metro it goes Arlington Cemetery, then the Pentagon, then Pentagon City... and there's not long between the stops... :sneaky: but nobody cares about that...

I GOT RE W00T... yay...

It is goodies... although the controls are kinda bleeeh and I never had problems with them before... But it's just NGC's controller and the fact that they made the characters turn just a liiiittle bit TOO fast when running...

I didn't have any trouble getting it, neidah... I just waltzed right into da store and said "Yo foo, gotsd RE?" and dey just be like "Mmm Hmm" and I'm like "Well damn, yo, youz gotsda hook me up wit dat sh*t"

.... :unsure:

Blind Kenshi
05-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Yes,EB,Gamestop,and department stores all around have been advertising Resident Evil so much .Every weekend I opened up the ads and there it was .The thing is all the stores were saying before April30,2002 to reserve it .Unfortunately, hard to believe they sold out everywhere .So far I'm still looking .Blockbuster "s right around the corner from my house though.So I try out all their gamecube games before I buy them .I already know Resident Evil will be good I'm just making a point across it .My friend Rick works there and he'll hold it for when it gets in .I'm so lucky!

DeathsHand
05-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Blind Kenshi
Yes,EB,Gamestop,and department stores all around have been advertising Resident Evil so much .Every weekend I opened up the ads and there it was .The thing is all the stores were saying before April30,2002 to reserve it .Unfortunately, hard to believe they sold out everywhere .So far I'm still looking .Blockbuster "s right around the corner from my house though.So I try out all their gamecube games before I buy them .I already know Resident Evil will be good I'm just making a point across it .My friend Rick works there and he'll hold it for when it gets in .I'm so lucky!

... Sold out everywhere? heh heh, like I said I just walked in and bought it without no problems :p

But that's just here... Also I went before school got out... before any of them young hooligans got a chance to get their copies... meh *shrugs*

I wonder what it's like at babbages and EB...

Blind Kenshi
05-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Aterschool was over I went straight to crew .I didn't have time for anything .My area i very populated where I live .I don't live in the boones .Anyway its good u got ur hands on on .Damn yongsters these days.

Sigma
05-01-2002, 05:43 PM
I got the game!!!!

i don't feel like scanning it (cause its not hooked up right now), but the cover is of jill being attacked by a zombie. It looks really cool.

The game itself looks amazing.

Jason1
05-01-2002, 05:55 PM
hmmm...I wonder if my local Wal-Mart has it in yet...

somehow I doubt it....:(

ghettodude
05-01-2002, 06:07 PM
hmm... i wrote this in the other topic.. but.. what the hey.. if u are too lazy to click over there im being convenient! gamespot called it the most visually impressive game ever released :drool:

Gamer
05-01-2002, 06:30 PM
I must agree with gamespot :D

gekko
05-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Played a little bit. This game is messed up. Zombies in weird places, doors being locked and they shouldn't be, etc.

Didn't save, don't want to use that herb I had to. Played a little bit, but the game sure has changed.

Jin
05-01-2002, 07:28 PM
I played the Japanese version at a local imported video games store a few weeks ago, so I've all ready seen the graphics. So I'm in no real rush to get the game right now.

Blind Kenshi
05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Sigma everyone knows whathe front of the case looks like .

GameKinG
05-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Suppose to be 70% changed. So it comes as no surprise much of the layout might be the same...but things like locked doors should be expected as its not JUST a remake.

Sigma
05-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Blind Kenshi
Sigma everyone knows whathe front of the case looks like .

I'm sure that someone doesn't know what the front case looks like. I didn't know what it would look like until i got it.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/217447.jpg

this looks almost like the cover, but on the actual cover jill is on the left and the zombie looks different.

quiet mike
05-01-2002, 09:59 PM
OK I got the game. It is the first time I am playing any RE game, so I am wondering how do I set the dificulty. Is it the question before you begin to play? And if it is, does it mean that Hiking is eassy and up the mountain is't hard, or it's reverse psychology?

Neo
05-01-2002, 10:07 PM
I think the harder difficulty is supposed to be the easier one. Less zombies (though less ammo).

DeathsHand
05-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Neo
I think the harder difficulty is supposed to be the easier one. Less zombies (though less ammo).

You see, I think hard is really easy because in hard you get less ammo but easy is easy because you get harder enemies that are easier to kill with certain types of ammo under certain circumstances. Whereas enemies jump higher and move faster on both modes compared to the original. But when mountain climbing, you get lots of safety equiptment, therefore making hard easier and safer, and yet easy easy because it's easier, and therefore requires less equiptment...

So it all balances out in the end...

Neo
05-01-2002, 10:16 PM

No... No it's not... but it's near the pentagon :p Kinda... like on the metro it goes Arlington Cemetery, then the Pentagon, then Pentagon City... and there's not long between the stops... :sneaky: but nobody cares about that...

Well then it's not really a pentagon mall, is it? IS IT?

I bet it's not even a polygon.

Now if the mall was inside the actual Pentagon, then you could call it the Pentagon mall. Of course no one could shop there unless they had a security clearance.

DeathsHand
05-01-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Neo

Well then it's not really a pentagon mall, is it? IS IT?

I bet it's not even a polygon.

Now if the mall was inside the actual Pentagon, then you could call it the Pentagon mall. Of course no one could shop there unless they had a security clearance.

Well you see, it's called Pentagon CITY Mall, because it's located in the area called Pentagon City, I believe... and therefore it has the name of the area it's in... similar to a couple other malls around here like... Springfield mall and such...

I'm not sure if Pentagon City is the shape of a pentagon or not :p

gekko
05-01-2002, 10:59 PM

You see, I think hard is really easy because in hard you get less ammo but easy is easy because you get harder enemies that are easier to kill with certain types of ammo under certain circumstances. Whereas enemies jump higher and move faster on both modes compared to the original. But when mountain climbing, you get lots of safety equiptment, therefore making hard easier and safer, and yet easy easy because it's easier, and therefore requires less equiptment...

So it all balances out in the end...

Dude, stop thinking and play.

Ok, mountain climbing is normal mode. You get less ammo, and you take more damage. Beating it on normal is harder, however, the items are arranged differently than they are on easy. So basically, the items are in better locations, but the road traveled is more difficult. Get it? Climbing up a mountain provides the most direct route to your destination, but it's hard to climb it.

Now hiking, that's easy mode. More ammo, more health, and you get hurt less. Of course, the way the items are arranged, it makes for a longer game trying to get all the items, and back-tracking and what-not. You may even encounter more zombies than is really necessary because you have to go to more rooms. Like when you hike up through the mountain. It's easier than the climb, but you gotta go around trees, and over logs, and crap like that.

Happy? Just select mountain climber and play. You gotta keep playing the game through a few times to get the special stuff anyway, and once you get the rocket launcher the game's easy. So you won't worry about difficulty then. Just aim and fire, they die, you continue.

Shadow_Link
05-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by gekko
Played a little bit. This game is messed up. Zombies in weird places, doors being locked and they shouldn't be, etc.

Didn't save, don't want to use that herb I had to. Played a little bit, but the game sure has changed.

Well... Ofcourse it has :D Capcom did say don't expect things to be in the places they used to be, such as zombies etc...

And ofcourse, it's harder too :D.

Did you mean messed up in the sense that you don't like it? :confused: Or just you have been surprised that it is so different from the psx version?

DeathsHand
05-02-2002, 08:31 PM
I beat it....... :unsure: *puts RE in a drawer never to be seen again*.....

J/K it's good :D

I'm gonna start playing again soon, this time as Chris...

It was kinda in-between playing a whole new game and playing RE for the 10th time :p Cuz there were some parts that were new or just really really changed around and it was like playing a new game, but the story was pretty much the same, although some events are switched around a good bit... and some of the areas were very similar to the original...

So it wasn't exciting as it would be playing a whole new game, but that's cuz I wasn't playing a whole new game :D

Took me 10 hours and 9 minutes to beat... I liked to take my time... and instead of run, walk just because Jill looked so neat walking in some of the lighting and such ;)

Anyways...

gekko
05-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Haha. Played for like an hour today, then got attacked by a zombie, forgot I was going to use an herb. Needless to say, I didn't save :)

I might start over again, to ensure that I get under 3 hours playing through. You gotta beat the game a few times to get all the crap, so I'd like to do it using a rocket launcher.

So I'll probably beat it tomorrow night.

Blix
05-02-2002, 11:01 PM
I beat it....... :unsure: *puts RE in a drawer never to be seen again*.....

J/K it's good :D

I'm gonna start playing again soon, this time as Chris...

It was kinda in-between playing a whole new game and playing RE for the 10th time :p Cuz there were some parts that were new or just really really changed around and it was like playing a new game, but the story was pretty much the same, although some events are switched around a good bit... and some of the areas were very similar to the original...

So it wasn't exciting as it would be playing a whole new game, but that's cuz I wasn't playing a whole new game :D

Took me 10 hours and 9 minutes to beat... I liked to take my time... and instead of run, walk just because Jill looked so neat walking in some of the lighting and such ;)

Anyways...
Man you sure have a lot of free time in your hands. And your post count makes me believe it. Anyway, I got the game yesterday. But due to college stuff I haven't been able to play it much:mad: . Anyway, this is the last week of classes (thank good) I'll just finish all the work i have to do and start playing it.:burger:

Jason1
05-04-2002, 12:33 PM
I got it today, pretty cool, Im starting out as Chris...Im allready to the 3rd typewriter, the one in the room with the canteen, I saved there and I quit...got that blue emrald, the doggie whistle, a book with no writing in it, a sword key, and a few other things...there looks to be a whole new area which I havent explored yet, but I will try to explore it sometime today or tomorrow...still waiting for that oil or whatever it is so I can flame the dead zombies...how long until they re-generate anyways?

gekko
05-04-2002, 01:00 PM
You're looking for the fuel canister. But anyway, starting as Chris is not recommended, cause the new Zombies are much better, and your chances of getting killed are more likely as Chris.

Jason1
05-04-2002, 01:02 PM
You're looking for the fuel canister. But anyway, starting as Chris is not recommended, cause the new Zombies are much better, and your chances of getting killed are more likely as Chris.

Well thank you for telling me that after I am well underway with Chris...oh well...

Bube
05-04-2002, 03:11 PM

Well you see, it's called Pentagon CITY Mall, because it's located in the area called Pentagon City, I believe... and therefore it has the name of the area it's in... similar to a couple other malls around here like... Springfield mall and such...

Ok so Springfield Mall has the name of the area. What about Landmark Mall? Where does it get it's name from?

DeathsHand
05-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Bube

Ok so Springfield Mall has the name of the area. What about Landmark Mall? Where does it get it's name from?

How does thou know of Landmark mall? :hmm:

heh heh... well you see... the... mall is actually... a landmark... yeah... :sneaky:

anyways...

"Well thank you for telling me that after I am well underway with Chris...oh well..."

You're not well underway with chris... the area where you get the fuel canteen thing is not very far... you're just slow ;)

quiet mike
05-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Can't I save in slot B? I only have one card inserted in the GameCube, and I can have only 5 saves. That would be allright with me, but a friend of mine is playing it at the same time, and we have to share the same 5 slots yet I have a 16X InterAct memory card, with plenty of space left.

Anyways the game is really good. It got my back crawling a few times already, and I barely got the second mask. Keep in mind that this is the first time I am playing this game, and without any quides or help, and with Chris which now gekko says it's harder to finish with, so whish me good luck.

Jason1
05-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by quiet mike
Can't I save in slot B? I only have one card inserted in the GameCube, and I can have only 5 saves. That would be allright with me, but a friend of mine is playing it at the same time, and we have to share the same 5 slots yet I have a 16X InterAct memory card, with plenty of space left.

Anyways the game is really good. It got my back crawling a few times already, and I barely got the second mask. Keep in mind that this is the first time I am playing this game, and without any quides or help, and with Chris which now gekko says it's harder to finish with, so whish me good luck.

same here, with that note, an update on my progress, as of yesterday( i havent played it yet today) Well, I got the fake key in the dogs collar, used it, got the mansion key, and, well, lets just say I now know why they call it survival horror. Those damn things are back to life, and I dont have any ammo...Im just so lucky I managed to get to a save point...some guy is dying and I have to go across the mansion to get the medicine for him. With fast zombies running wild and me with no ammo...Im thinking the best way to plan this is to simply chart my path and run, not trying to fool with the zombies...

DeathsHand
05-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jason1

same here, with that note, an update on my progress, as of yesterday( i havent played it yet today) Well, I got the fake key in the dogs collar, used it, got the mansion key, and, well, lets just say I now know why they call it survival horror. Those damn things are back to life, and I dont have any ammo...Im just so lucky I managed to get to a save point...some guy is dying and I have to go across the mansion to get the medicine for him. With fast zombies running wild and me with no ammo...Im thinking the best way to plan this is to simply chart my path and run, not trying to fool with the zombies...

I'm thinking that some people might not want you to talk about the game so much, cuz they wanna find these things out for themselves :p

And it's also called survival horror because not only are there the crazy monsters, but you have a limit to ammo, therefore you have to survive on what you can find... and apparently you don't know how to limit yourself very well :sneaky: :D

Here's a tip though... On your map, if a room is red... go there and explore every little bit for ammo, herbs, etc... That's what it means... red = there's still something in that room that you can pick up, if ya didn't know that already :D

Jason1
05-05-2002, 04:21 PM

I'm thinking that some people might not want you to talk about the game so much, cuz they wanna find these things out for themselves :p

And it's also called survival horror because not only are there the crazy monsters, but you have a limit to ammo, therefore you have to survive on what you can find... and apparently you don't know how to limit yourself very well :sneaky: :D

Here's a tip though... On your map, if a room is red... go there and explore every little bit for ammo, herbs, etc... That's what it means... red = there's still something in that room that you can pick up, if ya didn't know that already :D \

Yea, I knew that, but I think it could also mean that there is like a locked door there, that you might not have a key to, and not just an item you can pick up, but I could be wrong...the more I think about it the more I think I am wrong...

EDIT: How do I limit myself when the stupid zombies take 7 or more bullets sometimes to die? also, things not to do in RE

1. Dont EVER try to leave out of the front of the mansion.
2. Dont shoot the crows sitting on the balcony.

DeathsHand
05-05-2002, 04:24 PM
\

Yea, I knew that, but I think it could also mean that there is like a locked door there, that you might not have a key to, and not just an item you can pick up, but I could be wrong...the more I think about it the more I think I am wrong...

Well if the whole room is red, it means there is still something you can get... and if it's the whitish-grey it means you have everything in that room...

And as for doors, they're the little blue, red, or grey-ish lines on the wall areas of the map... blue means you can go through it, red means it's locked or just won't open, and grey means you havn't tried it yet...

BlueFire
05-05-2002, 10:56 PM
I got the game today. I played and beat RE for the PS not too long ago. The game is still fun, the graphics make the surroundings amazing..and with defense equipments and new areas...I'm having a blast.

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 11:33 AM

Dude, stop thinking and play.

Ok, mountain climbing is normal mode. You get less ammo, and you take more damage. Beating it on normal is harder, however, the items are arranged differently than they are on easy. So basically, the items are in better locations, but the road traveled is more difficult. Get it? Climbing up a mountain provides the most direct route to your destination, but it's hard to climb it.

Now hiking, that's easy mode. More ammo, more health, and you get hurt less. Of course, the way the items are arranged, it makes for a longer game trying to get all the items, and back-tracking and what-not. You may even encounter more zombies than is really necessary because you have to go to more rooms. Like when you hike up through the mountain. It's easier than the climb, but you gotta go around trees, and over logs, and crap like that.

Happy? Just select mountain climber and play. You gotta keep playing the game through a few times to get the special stuff anyway, and once you get the rocket launcher the game's easy. So you won't worry about difficulty then. Just aim and fire, they die, you continue.

No, I'm pretty sure it's much simpler than that. I already played through on 'Hiking' mode, and I started a new game on "climbing" mode last night. All the items are in the same place, you get the same amount of healing items and everything else. The only thing's that are different are that there are more enemies, and you seem to get hurt easier. I don't even think the enemies are really any tougher.

Neo
05-07-2002, 01:33 PM

Well if the whole room is red, it means there is still something you can get... and if it's the whitish-grey it means you have everything in that room...

Im not shur if dat is compweetwy akarit.

You can still find kerosene in the grey areas.

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Neo

Well yeah, but when I say something you can get, I mean items... herbs, ammo, keys, anything (even if it's hidden by a puzzle that you can't complete yet, like the key behind the clock in the dining room)... Not da kerosene fo shizle...

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Neo

Actually the rooms turn green after you pick up all the items. Red means there are still item in there. Whitish grey rooms are ones you haven't been in yet.

Neo
05-07-2002, 03:45 PM
The green looks grey on my TV

Neo
05-07-2002, 03:46 PM

Well yeah, but when I say something you can get, I mean items... herbs, ammo, keys, anything (even if it's hidden by a puzzle that you can't complete yet, like the key behind the clock in the dining room)... Not da kerosene fo shizle...

There's a key behind the clock in the dining room? sweet

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Neo

There's a key behind the clock in the dining room? sweet

You havn't gotten to that part yet? Or are you just joking? :confused: heh heh

well... the green looks grey on my TV, too.. both of them... big'un in the living room that uses the regular 3 colored wires and the one up in my room that uses the RF adapter thing... So hah to you, highlander..... hah to you....

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 06:55 PM

You havn't gotten to that part yet? Or are you just joking? :confused: heh heh

well... the green looks grey on my TV, too.. both of them... big'un in the living room that uses the regular 3 colored wires and the one up in my room that uses the RF adapter thing... So hah to you, highlander..... hah to you....

Some people in here apparently need to adjust the tint settings on their TVs...:p

Mushlafa
05-07-2002, 07:28 PM
No dude it looks grey on my friends tv too and hes got a nice hdtv.... and its really cool....

So maybe it your tv :p

Yeah anyway.... i cant stand watching my friend play the game.... buys the game.... the first thing he does it go to gamefaqs :rolleyes: and follows the strategy guide step by step then gets mad that the game was to short :rolleyes:

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 08:10 PM
I've beaten the game 3 times now, and my total time doesn't seem to be going down as fast as it does each time I beat the other RE games (or Silent Hill games for that matter)... I think the first time it was just under 11 hours, then just under 8 hours, then again just under 8 hours...........

Of course, first I played with Jill on easy (I didn't understand the difficulty thing at first) then CHRIS on easy (yeah so sue me :p ), then Jill on NORMAL... so maybe if I stopped changing how I play it the time will go down more :D

How long did it take your friend to beat it using gamefaqs, mushlafa?

Jason1
05-07-2002, 09:31 PM
If I beat a game in less than a week, well, I feel ripped off. Thats why I pace myself when playing...I dont go and play til 3 A.M. like DH...:rolleyes:

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Mushlafa
No dude it looks grey on my friends tv too and hes got a nice hdtv.... and its really cool....

So maybe it your tv :p

Yeah anyway.... i cant stand watching my friend play the game.... buys the game.... the first thing he does it go to gamefaqs :rolleyes: and follows the strategy guide step by step then gets mad that the game was to short :rolleyes:

Just because he *has* a nice TV doesn't mean he knows how to *tune* it, so :p .

But after looking at the map again, it *is* a rather pale green, and I can see how someone might call it grey. Ok, we'll just agree to disagree on this crucially important issue then.:D

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 09:45 PM
If I beat a game in less than a week, well, I feel ripped off. Thats why I pace myself when playing...I dont go and play til 3 A.M. like DH...:rolleyes:

I don't play until 3AM either... the GC controller buttons are too loud ;)

I do play the game all day though ;)

Gah I'm trying to play as Jill and go fast... but it seems like I keep running short on ammo and not being able to remember where to go.... for some strange reason.... :hmm: oh well I'll do it good sometime :D

gekko
05-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Played on easy? hmmm....

If you beat the game on easy in under 3 hours, can you still use it in once again mode on a different difficulty?

Anyway, I prefer normal. Only problem is on the 2nd bite, you're dead.

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Played on easy? hmmm....

If you beat the game on easy in under 3 hours, can you still use it in once again mode on a different difficulty?

Anyway, I prefer normal. Only problem is on the 2nd bite, you're dead.

Use with in any mode on a different difficulty? The rocket launcher or something? I heard you can only earn the special weapons on normal...

Bube
05-08-2002, 11:15 AM

How does thou know of Landmark mall? :hmm:

How do I know? I went there every weekend for 3 years. I lived in Virginia, you know. As a matter of fact, right here (click the attachment while reading "here"). In the red circle.

DeathsHand
05-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Bube

How do I know? I went there every weekend for 3 years. I lived in Virginia, you know. As a matter of fact, right here (click the attachment while reading "here"). In the red circle.

I didn't know you lived in VA befo :p

Anyways... I beat RE with Jill on Normal in 3 hours 23 minutes! 23 MINUTES SHORT OF GETTING THE ROCKET LAUNCHER AAGGH oh well at least I got this new handgun... Samurai Edge or something...

Neo
05-13-2002, 01:38 PM
5:16 with Jill... grrrrrr

My watch said I had 5 min left.

:mad:

Mushlafa
05-13-2002, 02:04 PM

How long did it take your friend to beat it using gamefaqs, mushlafa?

Uhhh..... hes not eaven done yet... hes not eaven on the second disk.... but then again he doesnt play a lot per day. Usually hel come home after school and play an hour or two.

*sigh* I dont get him..... i know hes gonna be pissed once he beats it with both people :rolleyes:

Hes gonna be like what a dumb game.

DeathsHand
05-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mushlafa
hes not eaven on the second disk....

Just thought I'd point out that the second disc only has like the very end of the game... like right when you enter the last area, you gotta switch discs :D

When I'm trying to rush through the game to get a good time, the second disc holds maybe... 15-20 minutes of gameplay... :p

"5:16 with Jill... grrrrrr

My watch said I had 5 min left."

Your watch sucks and so do you :p

:sneaky:

Neo
05-13-2002, 02:51 PM

Your watch sucks and so do you :p

:sneaky:

must......not.....ban.......

itchy......tasty

:cool: