PDA

View Full Version : Shootie's getting an iMac soon!

Revival
04-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Word! I finally convinced my mom that Windows sucks.. and she hates our computer.. so she finally decided to see what Macs were all about.. so I dragged her over to CompUSA last weekend, she tried one out for a few minutes.. then said that if I wanted one.. she would get one.. but it would replace this Compaq piece of s**t that I have now.

I also sealed the deal by telling my mom about Microsoft's plans to charge..

I'll have more information soon.. I have to wait till my dad gets back.. then I get to go shopping.. all on my own for a Mac... my dad knows nothing about them..

w00t! :D

sdtPikachu
05-01-2002, 10:51 AM
: Goes to Websters online :
: Looks up Compaq :

Compaq: [kom-pak], n 1) Well known computer company. 2) Pieces of s**t (slang)

Mushlafa
05-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu

company. 2) Pieces of s**t (slang)

Hey i have a compaq.... it sucks ass tho .... 398 MHZ peice of anus ( sappose to be 400 but i had it benchmarked and it turned out to be 398 ).... my video card is 4 MB and in the benchmark it said that it cant draw curved lined... its very intensive. My speakers like blew up. One day i was usin em and i heard a pop and smoke started to come out and smelled like burnt plastic.... anyway i need a new comp... Il prolly get one this summer

Revival
05-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu

Compaq: [kom-pak], n 1) Well known computer company. 2) Pieces of s**t (slang)
Damn right. I'm sick of this POS not working.. and I'm pissed with Compaq products in general. I can't wait to ditch my iPAQ and get an iPod :D

gekko
05-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Hmm... suggestions:

Get a different mouse. OS X takes advantage of 2 button mouse and scrollwheel, so right-clicking will be more familiar with you. With 1 button mice, it's control-click. I recommend the Microsoft Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft just released drivers to so now you can use the side buttons for browsing and stuff.

Don't forget you'll need all new software, like Office X. Just check to see if stuff's running in OS X or not. I suggest you don't even bother with OS 9, not unless you have to, which you may. Pathes allow some programs to run in OS X, but that means you still need to install from OS 9. Anyway, if you're not sure you can ask me.

Programs you may be familiar with will be like Norton systemWorks (2.0 is OS X version), Office, Adobe and Macromedia software, etc. But you may need to look elsewhere for some stuff. CD/DVD burning, go with Toast 5 Titanium. 5.1.3 path avaliable for it to run in OS X. Best damn burning software ever made. StuffIt is like Mac's compression software. StuffIt Expander (freebie) comes on Macs. StuffIt files have better compression than Zip, and use the .sit extention. But they also decompress .zip, and every other format in existance. I suggest you just buy StuffIt Deluxe 6.5 and save yourself the hassle of trying to download and use DropZip, and those other StuffIt freebies. It just makes life easier.

Go with the best iMac you can. Return to Castle Wolfenstein just came out and it requires 500mhz. Kinda high considering Macs only top out at 1ghz, well... dual 1ghz. I'd also get a good graphics card if I were you, cause I don't think you can upgrade that in an iMac. That's the problem with iMacs, you'll be stuck with what you buy for a while. No adding a GeForce 4 Ti this June or nothing. What you buy when you get it, with the exception of AirPort and adding more RAM, is what your computer will be until you get a new one.

Xantar
05-02-2002, 12:17 AM
Which iMac is this you're getting? Is it one of the fruity colored clear plastic cased all in one unit ones? Or is it the new one with a G4 processor and flat panel monitor (man, I want one of those. This tower next to my desk takes up so much space...).

Anyways, welcome to the Light Side. :vader:

Erm, I mean. :beerchug:

Cyrax9
05-02-2002, 01:40 AM
Good Job Shooter!

Now let's ceck what Alienware is in the dictiornary

Alienware:

n 1) A computer company with respectable gaming PC's and horrible tech-support.

2) a UFO from another planet

Now let's check Mac:

MAC:

n 1) a type of fruit that tastes very good in an apple pie

2) The Best Damn Computer company on the planet.

3) The cure for Windows PC users

;)

Joeiss
05-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Umm... What is so bad about Windows? I have Windows 95... And it works good for me.

:unsure:

Revival
05-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Well.. I'm nto exactly sure what kind I want to get.. I might even be able to get out of getting an iMac and get some other kind of Mac computer in General.

My mom set a limit: I can spend $8,000 -- I'll see what I can get for that amount of money.

Joeiss
05-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
Well.. I'm nto exactly sure what kind I want to get.. I might even be able to get out of getting an iMac and get some other kind of Mac computer in General.

My mom set a limit: I can spend $8,000 -- I'll see what I can get for that amount of money.

$8000?!?!?1?!?1?!?!? Holy crapolla!! That is a lot of money!

GET THIS :

http://apple.com/imac/

I am pretty sure $8000 will be enough. You might as well throw in an Apple iPOD as well. :D

Oh.. here it is : http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/92/wo/LE9WG0cO8LS5q0JA1N/0.3.0.3.30.21.0.1.3.1.3.1.1.0?93,94

The Superdrive iMac as only $1900 plus tax. GET IT! And give the rest of the money to me.

gekko
05-02-2002, 06:14 PM
$8,000 goes fast though, Shooter has NO Mac software, or hardware.

First of all, if I were you, I wouldn't go all out. Every Mac fan is waiting for the release of the G5, we don't know when it will be, but we all want it. So if this is going to be your last computer for a few years, I'd at least try to save something basically to say "Look mom, I only spent 3K on the computer, now can I get this new G5?"

Judging on what I know about you, you're not going to use many of the PowerMac's features. I doubt you'll ever use a PCI card, or SCSI adapter. It's likely the only thing you'll ever add is a harddrive or new video card. But since you play games (haha, no Half-Life for you!), you might want to buy a PowerMac G4 just so you can have something better than the GeForce 2 MX. GeForce 4 MX, Radeon 8500, or the GeForce 4 Ti in june would suit gaming needs better.

But really, the G5 is coming soon, and pretty much everyone is waiting for it, so try to save some money, or you'll be stuck with what you get for a while. If you follow Macs you know they only release big products at certain times, at MacWorld. The G5 might come as soon as July with MacWorld New York, it might not. But maybe get a decent PowerMac G5, not one that costs $5K, and then put your money elsewhere, like into software, into a Palm, iPod, etc.

Here's my suggestion. Cheap, but will be able to run and play everything perfectly, and will give you some money to set away to a G5 fund, like everyone else.

800mhz PowerMac G4 (that's the tower)
256MB RAM, then buy another 256MB at CompUSA for cheaper
60GB HD
Combo (DVD/CD-RW) - I've got the SuperDrive, only used it once, for data purposes
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX - Good graphics, not nearly the price of the Ti.
250MB Zip - Easy way to transfer some of your PC files over, unless you want to burn it onto CDs
AppleCare plan

$2,197

Now more RAM from CompUSA will be cheap. Also, ATI has some new Radeon 8500 offer where you send them your old card and save money. You might be able to go with the 7500, and then trade up for cheap. The 8500 is a nice card, and will play games quite nicely.

19" CRT display. Can buy PC ones, much cheaper than Apple's flat-panel.
Buy some speakers. No sound cards for Mac means no surround sound. So just get a 3-piece set for cheap, and get better sound than the cheesy mono thing.
10GB iPod - Buy from CompUSA, like i mentioned before.
Palm m505 - My dream Palm :) But hey, it's worth the price.
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer - Gotta love it.

Software:
QuickTime Pro license - $30
Norton systemWorks 2.0
StuffIt Deluxe 6.5
Toast 5 Titanium
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Black and White
Unreal Torunament
Office X

Always need a few games. I wouldn't re-buy too many if you don't play them anymore. Just wait for new ones, like Warcraft 3. Blizzard games are hybrids, so those should work fine (D2 & StarCraft (OS X patch avaliable), and WarCraft II for sure).

All and all, you should be under $4,000, with software and everything. Then have your parents put aside the $4,000 for the next computer you get, like a G5. It'll keep her happy, and you'll want a new computer in a year or two anyway. Plus, when you buy a new one again, you don't have to rebuy software, monitor, etc.

Revival
05-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks gekko! I'll run it by my mom when I see her.. might not be for a few days.. she's out looking at colleges with my brother.. I love being home alone..

I've haven't gotten much sleep in the past week :D

GameMaster
05-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Shooter! You're going to love it! The operating sytem and all! :D Hope your dad doesn't flip his lid... :unsure:

Anyway, unless your a hardcore computer user, I would just get the top of the line G4 iMac.

I have the old school iMac DV SE with a G3 processor and I'm doing just fine. I think a CD-RW is standard in Macs now, whether you want a DVD-R drive also (which is featured in the top model iMac), is up to you. I'd still get that model because it has a little more than the others, and who knows, maybe you'll want get a DV camera and make your own movies and burn them on to DVD?

Welcome to a world free of illegal operations, unsteady operating systems, and monopolyed software. Do what you want, think different. :D

P.S. Unless you're an avid music fan, a 5 gig iPod will do just fine and it's a $100 less, but it appears money isn't an issue for you rich folk so if you can find 2000 songs to load up, go ahead! ;)

gekko
05-02-2002, 10:36 PM
5GB iPod is just fine, but you get less than 5GB. Also, it's less storage for the portable HD.

I mean, if he has an $8,000 budget, he might as work fork over the extra $100 and get doube the storage.

GameMaster
05-03-2002, 01:07 AM
Yeah, you're right.

However in my case, I'm simply buying it for the it's primary function as an MP3 player. It's also within my budget. There are also plenty of other good MP3 players out there for a heck of a lot less and I just can't justify spending $500 on one.

BTW gekko, how are you enjoying your iPod? I wanna get one this weekend and I'm planning on it but I might as well ask a fellow Mac expert how they're enjoying it. Is it everything you expected? Is it really all "they" say it is?

Revival
05-03-2002, 04:29 PM
AHH! I got worried.. my dad got a new computer today from Compaq.. it's their "newest" model.. and it has my name on the order form.. I hope he doesn't want me to use that new one and ditch this one.. I don't want Windows at all!

I'll find out when my dad gets home later tonight.

Jason1
05-03-2002, 05:04 PM
I would like to get a Mac, but like a lot of games dont even work with it...

Revival
05-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Well.. a lot of games you have now won't work with it.. but there are thousands of software programs for the Mac. Here is a listing of some of the games:

http://www.apple.com/software/
(Click on the products guide link on the lower right hand corner)

Might want to check that out and see that there's a lot to offer.

GameMaster
05-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jason1

Quite the contrary Jason. A very popular program developed for Mac called Virtual PC allows you to run any PC prgram you might stumble across and you could even run Windows if you wanted.

Revival
05-04-2002, 09:39 AM
So with that program and the thousands of software programs that are available for Mac, you might be all set.

gekko
05-04-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Jason1

Well very few of your current games would, because very few companies produce hybrid games, it's basically only Blizzard. The reason behind this is because a lot of companies don't have the resources to port a game to Mac in-house. Like... their developers suck :)

So anyway, a lot of companies send their games to other companies to have it ported to Mac, and then published. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was given to Aspyr, even though Devine did a great job with the Mac beta. Other games, like the Tom Clancy games get ported by places like MacSoft. This is where the whole theory comes in, Macs get all the good games, but it takes a while. Just because programming for Mac was so much different, programmers really only knew how to make the Windows version and then had to send it off.

There are a few exceptions. Blizzard makes both Mac and PC versions at the same time. Upcoming games like WoW and WarCraft 3 will be released at the same time. Bungie is also a kick-ass Mac developer, too bad Microsoft bought them out, delaying Halo until the game is too old to be appreciated.

Anyway, pretty much every major game comes out on Mac, you just may need to wait for someone to port it. Thankfully, with the addition of Mac OS X and Macs getting the newest video cards, companies are beginning to support the Mac market. Look at UbiSoft, they released Myst III at the same time, and Shadowbane is coming out at the same time.

I guess there's also a good side to waiting. You won't have to deal with all the problems that the PC users deal with. Less bugs and all. But unless you're picky and want every new game the second it comes out, Macs are fine. They get every game that's any good.

Cyrax9
05-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Any Company that is making "PC Excluisives" that aren't being ported to the Mac is a company that's shotting themselves in the foot, or more accurately, the wallet. I know Activison has had companies port their "Star Trek" games, and "Interplay" has done the same thing with their "Star Trek Games" giving them to "MacPlay", Simon & Schuster Interactive even made their "Star Trek" games for both the PC and the Mac, although they were more like "Star Trek Technical Manuals" than Games, the excption Being "DS9 Dominion Wars", and "DS9: The Fallen" which looks great on a PC, I'd love to see it's Mac Version.

Also thanks ofr the info on Vitrual PC, I think I can Convince my Brother to get a MAC now, mainly because their's a new game coming out that'll run on a PC only at present time, and a Mac Version hasn't been anounced yet, but it "might be" eventually. Also Keep in Mind that this game as been re-biuolt from scratch 4 times since it was intially Planned. "One Must Fall: Batllegrounds" is the game, and the engine is supposed to be more flexible than UT and Q3A's Graphcis Engine, so a mMac Version is Probably Likley.

Let's start Nailing M$'s Coffin shut. I would like to see M$ "Rest In Peices".

gekko
05-04-2002, 07:56 PM
They don't port Mac games cause sometimes the cost of proigrammers, and the rarety of programmers is greater than the possible profit. I mean, only 10% of the world uses Macs, and a lot of education and businesses.

Cyrax9
05-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by gekko
They don't port Mac games cause sometimes the cost of proigrammers, and the rarety of programmers is greater than the possible profit. I mean, only 10% of the world uses Macs, and a lot of education and businesses.

True Gekko, but this ame is boasting that "it has the most versitle graphics engine since UT", if Diversions Entertainment is going to try and make a Graphics Engine the focal point of the game, then the Mac should be the first thing in their minds, remember no Buiseness with a Half-Decent idea of "eye-candy" would design their graphics engine on the PC only. They've done a few rough skectechs on a G4 for some of the "robot MOdels" i the game, so if the only thing needed is the coding, maybe some people who have used both system should star a copany that'l "port" games to the Mac market.

Believe me, Normally I wouldn't say that the Mac needs more games, but since alot of people use gams asa major part of their PC's, maybe Apple should start , offering more games, it'd get alot more M$ people to convert.

My Uncle is visiting, and this is an actual quote he made that I, personally think holds some truth:

"Bill Gates is just Hitler without the mustasche and Uniform."

Normally I would have taken offesnse to that, but after readuing about what Microsoft is trying to do, and is doing as well, they really are opresser's of free speach, and are trying to "force" the world into using ebverything as a Microsoft product. To me aside from "Mudering" people, they are basically doing everything over that was done in 1942 by the Nazi's, and are tyring to remove any trace of "Non-Microsoft" software from the market. This shares such a comparison with what the Nazi's did that it's extremley scary. The differance is, that people aren't dying from Microsoft's stupidty, but raher, the economy is dying, and while money may not be the most improtant thing in the world, it is, nevertheless, extremly important, if only to put fod on your table.

Persoanlly I think that if apple where to release " LIsenced Clones" of their systems running "Mac OS X", microsoft would have the tables turned on them extremly fast, and they would be losing money. The reason Windows is so popular is because Microsoft has offered it to hundreads of Computer Companies, and Apple hasn't offered "Mac OS X" to any other PC makers. If Mac were to allow "Clones" to be made (Remember how every "PC" that wasn't an IBM was a Clone?) of "Mac" machines, than they might sell the way pC's do, and the playing field could be leveled, just a thought.

gekko
05-06-2002, 03:34 PM
No, cause Apple is more than an OS company. They make the hardware to support the software. Like, their new thing is being the digital hub. Pentium 4 is trying to copy Apple with "The center of your digital world" if you haven't noticed.

Anyway, they started by making FireWire ports standard on all Macs, and release iMovie, so consumers can edit DV movies. Then they released CD-RWs standard and released iTunes so consumers can burn their own CDs... EASILY (Not common among PC users). Then they released the SuperDrive, and released iDVD so you can make your own DVD movies. They also released iPod with FireWire, because it's a better transfer metheod, and every Mac has FireWire standard.

You also need to realize that apple has great control over the future of the PC industry, and they would lose that. USB wasn't accepted in the PC world until Apple standardized it. Same thing with FireWire. Apple can't make these things standard if other companies are allowed to make PCs and run OS X. I mean look at the PC world, they still run off floppies, FireWire isn't standard, ethernet isn't standard. I walk in to a store and buy a Mac, and I know I'm getting a CD-RW, ethernet, 56K, USB, FireWire, and built in sound card, all standard. If I walk in to buy a PC, I'm likely going to miss out of ethernet, and FireWire. Hell, G4s come with GIGABIT ethernet STANDARD. It costs nearly $500 for a PC user to get gigabit ethernet.

Macs are such a great platform because the hardware is controled by Apple. The minute Apple lets loose and the OS is run on different hardware, the Windows problems begin to emerge. Compatability issues, problems with the drivers, your sound card not supporting your DVD drive. It's something only Mac users can understand. Apple hardware is part of what makes Macs so great.

Cyrax9
05-09-2002, 01:57 AM
Interesting thoughts Gekko, but if Apple is keeping to themselves wouldn't that constitue that hey also have a monopoly that's just not noticed? I like everything Apple has except FireWire, which is really just a pain for what I use my Comp for, now as far as the DVD/CD Burner being STANDARD, I like that, and PC's are behind in the DVD area, however Apple needs to get more games.

I don't like the fact that I can't store a small file on a regular floppy though like I can on the PC, I usually have a small document or an old game on a floppy, and I don't see the reason to use 1 Zip disk to store that stuff, which is why I'll probanly have to pay $50 for a Mac Floppy when the time comes. I still think that should have been left in for small things, you don't need 100MB or 250MP to store a small word proseccing document from work or another wsord porccessor, and Zip Disks are overpriced. I passed my Local Apple store today and almost went in, but I knew that if I got inside, I'd never leave and I had to come home.:(

Revival
05-09-2002, 02:49 PM
MOTHER F**KER!

In case you didn't know, there is no more Compaq Computer -- on Tuesday it switched over to HP :mad2:. Well, my dad saw this as an oppertunity to get me a new computer and not have it be a Mac.. he's going to get one from HP, at no cost. The worst thing is, I don't get to choose anything that comes with it :baby:

This sucks major ass! I gotta get my mom to convince my dad otherwise!

gekko
05-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Cyrax9
Interesting thoughts Gekko, but if Apple is keeping to themselves wouldn't that constitue that hey also have a monopoly that's just not noticed? I like everything Apple has except FireWire, which is really just a pain for what I use my Comp for, now as far as the DVD/CD Burner being STANDARD, I like that, and PC's are behind in the DVD area, however Apple needs to get more games.

I don't like the fact that I can't store a small file on a regular floppy though like I can on the PC, I usually have a small document or an old game on a floppy, and I don't see the reason to use 1 Zip disk to store that stuff, which is why I'll probanly have to pay $50 for a Mac Floppy when the time comes. I still think that should have been left in for small things, you don't need 100MB or 250MP to store a small word proseccing document from work or another wsord porccessor, and Zip Disks are overpriced. I passed my Local Apple store today and almost went in, but I knew that if I got inside, I'd never leave and I had to come home.:(

FireWire is the future man! It's almost 5 times faster than USB, and can also be linked up with a million hubs. DV cameras, external HDs, external disk drives, and everything else benefits from FireWire. Also, it can handle the transfer of a lot more power, explaining any the iPod charges through the FireWire cord, and other crap like MP3 players and Palm's the transfer through USB have a seperate power cord going to the dock.

I forgot to mention Apple ADC (Apple Display Connector), which allows you to transfer power, USB, and the video signal all through the same cable. So you got your huge 23" flat panel hooked up, with your 2-port USB hub, video signal, and power all going through one simple cable. Very nice, considering how fat those monitor cables are.

And a monopoly is making it impossible for someone to compete against your company. And since MS has such a big market share, and the way they handle business with the computer companies and stuff mentioned before, they make it nearly impossible for any other company to come in the picture and compete.

And Apple doesn't make any of their own hardware, for the most part. They basically just get it custom designed, and buy from certain companies. Look at my computer, SuperDrive made by Pioneer, Zip drive by Iomega, HD by IBM, graphics by NVIDIA, etc. It's just where Microsoft may make their OS support USB 2 or whatever, it means nothing. When Apple makes Mac OS support USB 2, they also put it standard on all Macs, so companies know that if they make hardware for it, everyone who buys a new Mac will have the ports and everything. Apple made iMovie because anyone who bought a Mac from that point on would have FireWire and the ability to transfer their movies. Apple made iTunes because everyone from that point on would be able to burn a CD. Apple made iDVD because from that point on, anyone who bought a new higher-end Mac would have the option of a DVD burner. Apple made iPod connect with FireWire because they knew everyone who bought a Mac within the last few years, can connect via FireWire. Very few PCs even come with FireWire ports, you need to buy a new card and deal with drivers not working. It's not really a monopoly, but from a consumer standpoint, you can't get much better.

I want a new Mac. I want a G5 badly. think they're supposed to stard out with dualies over 2ghz, and will probably feature FireWire 2 and USB 2, or at least 1. Also will probably have the newest NVIDIA card, and probably some things we don't expect. Maybe built in 5.1 support? But in reality, because Macs standardized all this crap, my 1-year old Mac will probably last much longer than any of your computers, and I haven't upgraded anything. I have a DVD burner, still not an accepted technology. I have gigabit ethernet, I doubt any of you PC users can claim that. I got FireWire support, I was looking at a new PC and they still don't have it standard. Granted processors advance quickly, any standard person could use this Mac for quite a few new years. The only thing that really would be affected are games. To the average user, the ones who would probably have the hardest time with trouble shooting, my Mac would be good for a few more years, easily.

Gigabit ethernet probably won't be a really accepted PC technology for consumers for another 2 or 3 years. It might make it in businesses, but I've had it for a year now. Windows may be the gamers' platform of choice, but hook up a few Macs to a gigabit hub and you'll be playing games with pings of 5.

And I agree, Macs need an improvement in games. But look at the past few years, it's improved a lot. Problem is more companies need to port their own games. Devine is id's Mac guy, and when he did the RtCW beta, it was sweet as hell. But once they gave it to Aspyr to port, it didn't run as well. I mean, PC games run better, but if more companies started porting in-house, that would narrow the gap. I mean, look at Blizzard games, they run great on Macs. It's improving, and give it time and it will only get better.

PCs are better for games, Macs are better for everything else. And considering most people do more than just play games, Macs aren't a bad choice.

And Shooter, tell your parents you want an iBook because you like Apple's designs better, and the way they run. Depndable at college and all. Then say you want to spend these next few years running a Mac at home to get software, and get used to running it, and stuff like that. I mean, you're getting a PC for free, WTF is wrong with buying a Mac?

Revival
05-09-2002, 07:19 PM
And Shooter, tell your parents you want an iBook because you like Apple's designs better, and the way they run. Depndable at college and all. Then say you want to spend these next few years running a Mac at home to get software, and get used to running it, and stuff like that. I mean, you're getting a PC for free, WTF is wrong with buying a Mac?
Heh.. not a half bad idea :D

GameMaster
05-09-2002, 09:42 PM

FireWire is the future man! It's almost 5 times faster than USB, and can also be linked up with a million hubs.

5, try 50 times. FireWire is extremely faster.

gekko
05-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster

5, try 50 times. FireWire is extremely faster.

Thought FireWire was 500Mbps and USB was 128Mbps :confused:

Xantar
05-10-2002, 04:45 PM
A little economics lesson:

To determine if there is a monopoly (or more accurately if there should be an anti-trust case), the U.S. government often uses something called the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI for short). Calculating the HHI is very simple. Take the marketshare of each company within the market, square those marketshares and add them up. So if there are five competitors in the car industry who each have exactly 20% marketshare, the HHI would be 400 + 400 + 400 + 400 + 400 = 2000. If it were a hundred competitors with 1% marketshare each, the HHI would be 100.

Markets with an HHI of over 1800 are considered "concentrated" (1800 is a purely arbitrary number).

In the OS market, you basically have Windows with 90% marketshare and Mac OS with 10% marketshare. That's an HHI of 8200. The market is monopolistic. But the company that has the monopoly is the one with the largest share.

The anti-trust suit brought against Microsoft wasn't actually for its OS per se. The problem was with the internet browser market, among other things. In a concentrated market (i.e. HHI is over 1800), any transaction that increases the HHI by more than 100 raises anti-trust concerns. In the browser market, there was Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer. Netscape did have a monopoly at first, but the government wasn't concerned with that because Netscape was the only browser around at the time. At some point, Navigator and IE each had a 50% share of the market. That leads to an HHI of 5000. The marketshares now is more like 95% for IE and 5% for Netscape Navigator. The HHI is now 9050 which is clearly more than 100 higher than 5000. This caught the government's attention. All things might have been forgiven if Microsoft hadn't allegedly used its existing OS monopoly to gain a new one. Getting a monopoly through completely fair competition is fine. And if Microsoft had bundled IE into Windows but failed to capture an extra 5% of the market as a result (thus raising the HHI by 100), the government still wouldn't have paid attention. It was the combination of the two that brought an anti-trust suit on Microsoft.

I just felt like running my mouth off for a few paragraphs. Carry on. :D

Cyrax9
05-11-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Xantar

I just felt like running my mouth off for a few paragraphs. Carry on. :D

Xanny, I'm happy to have you riun your morth for a few paragrpahs any day, compared to some people I know, so feel fre o come and post in here. Also you've helped me alot, I alwyas wondered why Netscape was never targed when M$ was, burt I'm beggining to see why now.

Please ruin your mouth some mor, it might enlighten me aswell as other members. :)