PDA

View Full Version : Question About Resident Evil

Heyyoudvd
04-29-2002, 11:02 PM
First of all, let me just say that I'm new to the RE series and am interested in the new Resident Evil.

Anyways, does anyone know approximately how long this game is?

I've heard that it's a great game, but I've got no idea how long it is. It doesn't have any multiplayer, so If it's only about a 12 hour game, I'm just gonna rent it, rather than shell out full price, as it wouldn't be worth it.

Can someone please tell me approximately how long it is, and whether it's worth the purchase, or just as a rental?

gekko
04-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Depends on who you are. For me, the game with Jill takes 1:11:09 :) For Mike Morrow (RE god), Chris takes 59:58, Jill takes 1:06:xx, and Jill with knife only takes 1:15:xx. Of course, these times were achieved by taking the shortest path possible through the game, only grabbing the items needed, not doing anything out of order, and dodging as many zombies as possible, which involves knowing which way each zombie turns, and knowing which ones are pukes, and which ones aren't. So it can be a 1-hour game, if you're good enough.

On the other hand, to reach the first snake takes me 18 minutes. To reach the first snake the first time I ever played the game (no guide), took me 7 hours. Now I've flipped through the strategy guide, and I'm seeing a lot of new areas in this game. So if they did a good job, the game could easily pull time and a half.

You're a RE newbie, so you wouldn't catch on to the puzzles as quickly, and assuming you don't use a guide, this game could take you close anywhere from 10-20 hours. Of course, that's just one character, you still have to beat it with both characters.

And yes, it would be worth paying $2000 for.

DeathsHand
04-29-2002, 11:50 PM
I love RE too, just like gekko (although not as much to know all that stuff about RE and do it all fast and stuff :unsure: )! I wanna reply too!

It took me like 11 hours I think to beat the very first RE (the PSX game) on my own... BUT, before actually play it on my own, I had seen my friend play some of the beginning parts at his house, so I knew some of the stuff already...

Plus the NGC version is supposed to be longer... And I think a bit more difficult too, so that should add more time...

and if you're like me (or gekko), you'll probably play it more than once... I beat the PSX version eeeehhhhh maybe.... 6 or 7 times I think maybe possibly *shrugs*... You'll probably wanna play it at least twice though, beating it with both characters (each one is slightly different... in Jill's game, you kinda "work" with Barry and such, whereas in Chris' game you "work" with rebecca... And you get a few different things and stuff, there may be even more differences in the NGC version)... And then of course you can get special weapons and such by beating it fast enough, so you might wanna play it MORE to get those weapons, and then AGAIN to actually use those weapons... :p

I recommend buying it... cuz it's the kinda game you might end up wanting to play again and again... but if you aren't into playing games over and over again, then I'd say just rent it...

But I'm gonna buy mysef' a copy as soon as it becomes available in da stores :D

gekko
04-30-2002, 12:09 AM
"Work" with Barry. Haha. He was always my favorite to kill. But damn, his cut scenes took forever. The guy was beyond annoying, dying and increasing my time, giving me acid rounds I don't want. Err...

But ya, played the original at least 20 times through, as Jill. It's a great game, I suggest not using a guide your first time through. Try to solve the puzzles, read the notes, begin to understand the story. Believe me, once you beat the game once, it's done with. The puzzles you struggle on will become easy, because you know how they are solved. Granted you may forget which rooms they are in, the game isn't the same.

No matter how hard you want to, and you will, avoid the guide for the first time through.

Shadow_Link
04-30-2002, 09:08 AM
Add that to the fact it has multiple endings... Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but even more! (Check out IGN for the correct figure :D I know it's alot more than 4 though :D).

gekko
04-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Ya, multiple endings. Cooperate with Barry all the way, don't cooperate at all, cooperate some, then all of those mixed with saving Chris and you have 6 Jill endings. Chris is the opposite, so it should be like 12.

Gotta try to bribe the FuncoLand manager into selling it to me early. I saw her at the bank earlier, but I thought it would be rude to ask her when she's not at work :)

Highlander_77
04-30-2002, 12:20 PM
According to the IGN review, it will take about 12-20 hours, even for those who have played the original since so much has been changed. It's certainly worth buying, as there will definitely be replay value (Capcom *always* puts a lot of hidden stuff in the RE games).

gekko
04-30-2002, 03:18 PM
WTF? Flipping through strategy guide and found some weird stone thingie where you stick the crests. Not the wall like before, and there's only 3 crests :confused:

Reserved it though. Got my free Resident Evil t-shirt, and I might even get to take home the big cardboard ad they have at Funco :)

Blix
04-30-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by gekko
WTF? Flipping through strategy guide and found some weird stone thingie where you stick the crests. Not the wall like before, and there's only 3 crests :confused:

Reserved it though. Got my free Resident Evil t-shirt, and I might even get to take home the big cardboard ad they have at Funco :)
I want a resident Evil T-shirt too :( BTW, I have the Perfect Dark cardboard ad. It has the real life Johana (sp) Dark:drool:
Back on topic, the game is absolutetly worth buying . Even more if you've never played any Resident Evil.

BlueFire
04-30-2002, 04:52 PM
I thought RE was pretty short. Although, my first time, I spent around 7-10 hours....It was a fun game. Chris's game is easy, but Jill's was easy too..My first time beating RE, I got Jill out by herself. :)

2nd time I saved everyone.

I'm planning on getting the game for GC. :D

"You were almost a Jill sandwich."

:D

DeathsHand
04-30-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by BLueFire
"You were almost a Jill sandwich."

:D

"It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you"

... :p

Not as funny as the jill sandwich but still :(

Anyways... ze stores get it in tomorrow... I'ma go there and get it like right when I wake up! Because that will probably be around 2 pm!

I can't wait :burger:

gekko
04-30-2002, 05:44 PM
Come in tomorrow at 8AM here. Will be in school though. I would skip, but I skipped today to take my drivers test, so I don't want to get too far behind, since we're starting a new Chemistry chapter and all.

So I won't get it until 2PM :(

Jason1
04-30-2002, 08:46 PM
Im desprately wanting this game, since I never owned a Playstation and never really played the origional(a little at my friends house). Buuuttt...I probably wont pick it up till this weekend, and thats if Im lucky...

EDIT: the more I think about this game, the more I want it. I really want to play this game...I havent been this excited about a game in quite awhile....

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand

"It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you"

... :p

Not as funny as the jill sandwich but still :(

Anyways... ze stores get it in tomorrow... I'ma go there and get it like right when I wake up! Because that will probably be around 2 pm!

I can't wait :burger:

God I'm glad that Capcom fixed the script for this remake (and hired halfway decent voice talent). Rebecca used to annoy the hell out of me in the original, but now she's actually likeable. Plus they eliminated retarded moments like:

*Chris in a room alone, Rebecca walks in*

Rebecca:"Chris, it's me, Rebecca!"
Chris:"Rebecca? Is that you?"

:rolleyes:

DeathsHand
05-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Highlander_77

God I'm glad that Capcom fixed the script for this remake (and hired halfway decent voice talent). Rebecca used to annoy the hell out of me in the original, but now she's actually likeable. Plus they eliminated retarded moments like:

*Chris in a room alone, Rebecca walks in*

Rebecca:"Chris, it's me, Rebecca!"
Chris:"Rebecca? Is that you?"

:rolleyes:

I found the voice acting in the original more funny than it was annoying... now they improved it to the point of being in between... not quite good, not quite bad, but not funny... :< heh heh

There are still some stupid parts though... "Oh look, there's a freaky monster walking towards me, I better turn around and tell Jill that I'll take care of it"... :p And some other things... they're just not as stupid/funny as in the original :D

Highlander_77
05-07-2002, 07:03 PM
My all time favorite stupid line from the original came at the end, when you were talking to Wesker outside the Tyrant room. He says something like "I had to follow my orders from Umbrella", and then like 15 seconds later says something like "You people all seem to think I was taking orders from Umbrella" WTF?! :hmm:

My God that game had some *serious* script problems, lol!