PDA

View Full Version : Last movies you saw

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Angrist
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
With all the movie threads appearing out of nowhere, I thought it would be nice to have this thread.

I just finished watching American Beauty. Good movie.

DeathsHand
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Last couple movies I saw would beee.... Knocked Up... aaaand The Departed (DVD)...

Both were rather swell... I give them my stamp of approval...

My boss recommended American Beauty a few months back, and I bought it... Havn't watched it yet, though... *strokes chin*

Bond
06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
You should watch American Beauty. It's titillating.

Dyne
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I just watched Boondock Saints at the request of my boss and friends, and I loved it. Then I saw the Deluxe Collector's Edition at Future Shop for $17 canadian and I just had to buy it! So I watched it again in Widescreen.

Such a good movie.

bobcat
06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Bridge to Tabetithia? Or some area I forgot. It was suprising, and ..... good :D Not what I expected @ all

The Germanator
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Watched Jesus Camp and Diggers recently...Jesus Camp was good yet frightening for a non-religious person...Absoultely frightening.

Diggers was good but not what I expected from a movie written and produced by members of The State.

GameMaster
06-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Last movie I saw in theatres was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last movie I saw at home was Arachnophobia.

Typhoid
06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
last movie in theaters - I can't even remember. It's been probably 5 or 6 years.

Last movies I saw - Borat

Perfect Stu
06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Knocked Up and Ocean's 13

$6 CDN movies FTW!

Teuthida
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I just finished watching American Beauty. Good movie.
Mr. Spacey twas speaker at sister's graduation on Tuesday. Good fun.

Last movie: Sicko. Made me want to move to France.

BreakABone
06-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Last movie saw at home... Die Hard with a Vengeance.. first time seeing

Last movie saw in theatres... Knocked Up.. awesome movie

Next movie plan on seeing... Live Free or Die hard

Swan
06-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Last one I saw was Knocked Up. Quite enjoyable.

I want to see the Live Fast and Die hard because it looks soooo over the top.

DeathsHand
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I want to see the Live Fast and Die hard because it looks soooo over the top.

I saw it last night... It's over the top and then some...

Bond
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Last movie I saw at home was The Godfather. Last movie in theatres was Pirates of the Caribbean.

Crash
06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
last night saw Die Hard. Fantastic Movie. Must buy on DVD. Would see again in theaters.

Last movie on dvd? first half of dreamgirls.

Angrist
07-01-2007, 03:40 PM
I just saw WarGames again. Great movie, I haven't been in such suspense for a long while.

WarGames: 8/10

CamFu
07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Don't get out much, last movie I saw was Fantasic Four... a little disappointed in it.

Fox 6
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I just saw The Last King of Scotland, and i must say that it is a pretty good flick. I reccomend that you see it if you havent already.

Swan
07-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Just watched A Scanner Darkly last night. Quite an interesting movie, not just because of the way it looks but the whole movie as well

Angrist
07-02-2007, 05:25 PM
V for Vendetta (2nd watching) 8/10
Really good movie.

BreakABone
07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Saw Live Free or Die Hard.

And I got to say it was a top-notch action movie.
One of the best in recent memories.

Angrist
07-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Short Circuit 7/10
The Princess Bride 8/10

Typhoid
07-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

Classy.

Jason1
07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I saw it last night... It's over the top and then some...

Yea, but it was enjoyable. I also saw Live free or die hard about a week ago, and I had low expections, but it was decent actually.

American Beauty is an amazing movie, one of my favorites.

I rented The Fountain because a few people told me it was good. I have yet to watch it.

DeathsHand
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Yea, but it was enjoyable. I also saw Live free or die hard about a week ago, and I had low expections, but it was decent actually.

American Beauty is an amazing movie, one of my favorites.

I rented The Fountain because a few people told me it was good. I have yet to watch it.

I'd never seen a Die Hard movie (all the way through) before Live Free or Die Hard, and I thought it was leaps and bounds better than Transformers... Still rather over-the-top, but in a way that's actually entertaining as opposed to completely unsatisfying and hollow...

I watched Black Snake Moan last night... Which was just strange and never really went anywhere...
Aaaand I watched Harold and Maude, which went somewhere strange... *strokes chin*

Joeiss
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Just watched Apocalypco. I did not enjoy it. Took long to set up the main sequence, and I felt that I didn't really get in touch with the main character. I mean, he excelled and proved that he was a true warrior, but I don't know.. I just really didn't get into him ya know.

Swan
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Just got back from seeing Die Hard.

Freaking amazing.

The whole movie is basically a crazy old guy killing people while muttering to himself.

Beautiful:)

Fox 6
07-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Just got back from seeing Die Hard.

Freaking amazing.

The whole movie is basically a crazy old guy killing people while muttering to himself.

Beautiful:)

It was such a great movie. The best part is when the hamster guy grinds up and Willis is like "Oh no!"

KillerGremlin
07-08-2007, 10:47 PM
i saw transformers and liked it
i saw ratatouille and i really enjoyed that
and i just got out of 1408 and that was pretty good too

i watched Training Day and Deja Vu the other day, i was in a denzel mood. And I started watching Brazil but it was at night so I feel asleep...I also watched Goodfellas recently, which is an awesome flick.

Perfect Stu
07-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Live Free or Die Hard is a good action movie, go see it and eat some popcorn.

In other news, I've been in a classic movie mood so I've recently rewatched three of the greatest films ever known to man:

The Great Escape
Lawrence of Arabia
The Sting

Angrist
07-09-2007, 06:41 AM
I didn't see any of those movies.... I better do so.

Professor S
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Children of Men
The Prestige

Both excellent. I've had good luck with movies lately.

KillerGremlin
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
i was really bummed when i saw children of men....maybe i just wasn't in the mood when i saw it, it was a little too depressing for me. i think i need to rewatch it because i only hear good things about it.

Joeiss
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Children of Men was sick, especially for that last action sequence in the building. All filmed in one shot with one camera... ****ing beautiful.

The Germanator
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I have the following from Netflix in my house right now, but haven't seen.

Last King of Scotland
Night of the Living Dead
Rear Window...

Hopefully I'll get to these before I leave Sunday.

Fox 6
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Children of Men was sick, especially for that last action sequence in the building. All filmed in one shot with one camera... ****ing beautiful.

Totally!

I must have skipped back to the starting of that scene 5 or 6 times to watch the things again and again. Its so crazy with the APC's and tanks shooting into the building, especially when you realize its only one take.

GameMaster
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Last King of Scotland is sick. As in sick graphic scenes. Wicked cool.

BreakABone
07-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

It was a much better than the book. Which is my least favorite of the books so far.

Teuthida
07-13-2007, 01:45 AM
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Acebot44
07-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Watched "Waiting" a couple nights ago and I can really empathize with the characters now because, well, I have been waiting for the first time this last week and **** like that happens....oh yeeeeeaah

DeathsHand
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I watched Titus last night...
It was like watching a foreign film with no subtitles...

"Chiron, thy years wants wit, thy wit wants edge and manners, to intrude where i am graced, and may for aught thou knowest, affected be." Spoken be as a cheetah whisks across open fields, through the lightest light, absorbing thine speed and grace, my brain doth naught compute.

I picked up on what was going on maybe a quarter of the way through...

Bond
07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Watched "Waiting" a couple nights ago and I can really empathize with the characters now because, well, I have been waiting for the first time this last week and **** like that happens....oh yeeeeeaah
I'm watching that right now. Funny and crude.

Professor S
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Today I saw Night of the Hunter (overrated, but Robert Mitchum is very good in it) and Pan's Labyrinth, which was a visual and emotional feast. Should have won best picture.

Fox 6
08-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I just saw Thank You For Smoking, its a clever funny movie and worth a view.

BreakABone
08-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I just saw The Heartbreak Kid.

It's a funny movie.
Just feel weird about the premise.

Ginkasa
08-07-2007, 01:01 AM
I was paid to watch The Bourne Ultimatum yesterday. A part of the projector fell off on an earlier showing and I had to check to see how bad the damage was to see how many reels we needed to order (just 1).

Angrist
08-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Yesterday I saw What Women Want. It was a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, although Helen Hunt and some other women were cute.

So here's a picture of the Zelda stuff I bought today.

Teuthida
08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
The animated movie I Married a Strange Person!

Never have I seen so many inanimate objects having sex with each other.

The Germanator
08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Watched Hot Fuzz last night. What a ridiculous but fantastic movie. Not sure if I liked it as much as Shaun of the Dead, but pretty brilliant nonetheless.

Dylflon
08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I got to go to an advanced screening of Superbad.

That was one of the most outrageously funny movies I have ever seen.

The Germanator
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Good...Was wondering whether I would like it or not. Definitely going to see it pretty much because Michael Cera is amazing.

BreakABone
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Yeah saw it about a month ago or so now.

McLovin is such an awesome character.

I am McLovin

Bond
08-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought the movie isn't out yet?

Acebot44
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Watched Encino Man for the first time in a while a couple days ago and really enjoyed it.

Oh, and I saw Y Tu Mama Tambien and was kinda disappointed because my friends had made it up to be a bit more spectacular, but it was a good movie nonetheless.

Ginkasa
08-08-2007, 03:40 AM
I thought the movie isn't out yet?

Its not. They saw advance screenings. Some movies get so many advance screenings, sometimes I wonder who would be left to buy a ticket for it.

In fact, we've had a couple of Superbad screenings at my theatre already, and I'm scheduled to attend another one in a couple of days so *shrugs*

Ginkasa
08-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Two movies I saw recently. First off I saw Crash for the first time. I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. I mean, I know it won best picture and everything, but to me it just seemed like a movie with a bunch of racist people doing racist things in order to tell me that racism sucks. There was only one character (out of, like, friggin' twenty) that I can say I really liked. The rest were racist pigs, or just pigs if not racist. And what's up with every single character, not previously having known each other, suddenly running into each other and doing racist things around each other within 36 hours? The locksmith fices the lock at the Persian's place and the DA's place whose maid is the mother of a cop who is partner's with Don Cheadle whose brother hangs out with Ludacris who carjacks both a) the previously mentioned DA and b) this TV director guy whose wife is sexually molested and later has her life saved by this racist LAPD cop, whose partner later saves the TV director and Ludacris from being shot by racist cops, but then later shoots Don Cheadle's brother. I mean, geez. You'd think LA ad a larger population then 10 people, but not in this movie.

My biggest problem with this movie, though, was the Middle Eastern guy. Crash is supposed to be against racism, but this is the one character who has no real good points at all. I mean, even the racist pigs do good stuff. The Middle Eastern guy almost kills a little girl while trying to kill her father just because he didn't listen and get his door fixed like he sould have. I just don't get how the director can be telling us this racism sucks message while conveniently portraying the Middle Eastern guy as a raving, crazy, murderous luncatic.

Anyway, I didn't like it.

Superbad was funny, though.

BreakABone
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Saw Rush Hour 3.

Good movie.
Felt short.

Better than 2.
A little less than one.

manasecret
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Two movies I saw recently. First off I saw Crash for the first time. I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. I mean, I know it won best picture and everything, but to me it just seemed like a movie with a bunch of racist people doing racist things in order to tell me that racism sucks. There was only one character (out of, like, friggin' twenty) that I can say I really liked. The rest were racist pigs, or just pigs if not racist. And what's up with every single character, not previously having known each other, suddenly running into each other and doing racist things around each other within 36 hours? The locksmith fices the lock at the Persian's place and the DA's place whose maid is the mother of a cop who is partner's with Don Cheadle whose brother hangs out with Ludacris who carjacks both a) the previously mentioned DA and b) this TV director guy whose wife is sexually molested and later has her life saved by this racist LAPD cop, whose partner later saves the TV director and Ludacris from being shot by racist cops, but then later shoots Don Cheadle's brother. I mean, geez. You'd think LA ad a larger population then 10 people, but not in this movie.

My biggest problem with this movie, though, was the Middle Eastern guy. Crash is supposed to be against racism, but this is the one character who has no real good points at all. I mean, even the racist pigs do good stuff. The Middle Eastern guy almost kills a little girl while trying to kill her father just because he didn't listen and get his door fixed like he sould have. I just don't get how the director can be telling us this racism sucks message while conveniently portraying the Middle Eastern guy as a raving, crazy, murderous luncatic.

I never understood what was so great about the movie. I thought it was okay... one of the worst rated movies to win best picture, btw http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/special/2007/botbp/?r=75&mid=1144992 . Although, so was Gladiator http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/special/2007/botbp/?r=70&mid=1096836 , which I love.

Bond
08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't understand why people like rottentomatoes.

IMDb is the way to go!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172495/

manasecret
08-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Because at IMDB movies are rated by every last joe shmoe out there who knows little to nothing about what a good movie is.

Plus you get horrible movies that are given 10s by an inordinate amount of people because the only people who bother to go and rate the horrible movie are the idiots who love the movie. At RottenTomatoes, practically every movie is rated by practically every critic regardless of their opinion of it, they don't just go and rate the ones they love.

IMDB is great for obscure movie knowledge, but as for ratings, it's a joke. Maybe you were joking?

DeathsHand
08-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Inland Empire...
I'm itchin' to watch it again, alone this time (as opposed to with my friend on her really crappy TV), though 3 hours (plus 70 minutes deleted scenes) of borderline nonsense is a tad long to find the time and patience for...
But it's strangely compelling...
Makes me... want to do a brand new dance... now...

The Germanator
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Hmm...Almost saw Inland Empire in the theaters a while back, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle a 3 hour David Lynch movie where I couldn't pause to take a break or whatever. DVD seems to be the way to go.

Teuthida
08-15-2007, 04:17 PM
After the nightmares Eraserhead gave me, I've been very wary of David Lynch films.

Saw The Simpsons Movie last night. Twas ok. Pretty visuals and had some nice music. Bout all I can say.

Typhoid
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm in need of good movies to watch, so I'll just stick it here - if you have any suggestions, have at 'er.

Relatively any genre.

Teuthida
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NLbDgyMusk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NLbDgyMusk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

manasecret
08-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Typhoid, I just saw and enjoyed Zodiac quite a bit. If you know nothing about the movie or the "true story" behind it, then it's an enthralling watch.

GameMaster
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I just BT'd Zodiac, Sunshine (Not Little Miss, but the new Sci-Fi thriller), The Lookout, and The Reaping. Wish me luck!

DeathsHand
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
After the nightmares Eraserhead gave me, I've been very wary of David Lynch films.

I saw Eraserhead the night before last (I bought it like a year ago and never watched it), and I wasn't quite as enthralled or effected as I was by Inland Empire...

Maybe because I was sorta half-asleep... But you'd almost think that'd enhance the experience...

Teuthida
08-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Wasn't real bothered when I watched it. Just had disturbing dreams after, which I almost never do.

I enjoy good mindfuck movies.

Typhoid
08-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Typhoid, I just saw and enjoyed Zodiac quite a bit. If you know nothing about the movie or the "true story" behind it, then it's an enthralling watch.

I do know the actual story though...so are you saying I won't enjoy it as much?

DeathsHand
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I enjoy good mindfuck movies.

Inland Empire is quite the mindfuck... It was filmed over a period of a few years, and was never originally meant to be a feature film...

Lynch was experimenting with the convenience of his new Digital Video camera by filming a series of shorts, which, as time went on, he began to find ways to "connect" to each other (in his mind, at least)...
He'd come up with stuff one day at a time, write it, shoot it, and edit it himself, no studio execs piddling about, no complicated shots that required a large film crew to be around...
100% unspoiled Lynch...

Teuthida
08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
I shall give it a viewing.

Vampyr
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I -finally- got to watch 300 a couple days ago.

Freaking fantastic.

manasecret
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I do know the actual story though...so are you saying I won't enjoy it as much?

Yes and no. What gripped me was the story, which I knew nothing about. It was a good movie nonetheless, well done killing scenes I think and good acting and an interesting theme. But it certainly would have hurt the experience just a little if I had known the whole story already.

Bond
08-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I just got done watching Zodiac. Well done movie. Very interesting.

Dyne
08-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Just saw Superbad tonight. The theatre was packed. Fantastic film.

Jason1
08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I saw Sunshine about a week ago. Highly recommended.

Angrist
08-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I saw Léon the Professional yesterday. With Jean Reno and Nathalie Portman. It was good, but at points also a bit violent. And Léon could have been a little less superhero for my taste.

The Germanator
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Saw Superbad last night. I've got to say, I'm in love with Michael Cera. His acting ability is superb. Movie was pretty good.

Angrist
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Tremors 4: Pretty good movie, a prequel set 100 years before the original. The western style suits Tremors really well! They went back to basics with just grapoids, which was good.

The Thing: I had seen it twice before, but playing the mafia game made me want to see it again and it was cool. Not as cool as the first two times though.

Mimic: I always thought this was a cheap and rubbish horror trilogy, but I finally decided to try this movie. I loved it. I haven't been so scared by a movie in a long while. I think I'll stay away from the sequels.

Vampyr
08-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Just saw Transformers yesterday, it was awesome. :D

Angrist
08-25-2007, 05:31 PM
The Game. 8/10. Unfortunately somebody spoiled the ending for me.

Oh, does anyone else keep a list at imdb? Here's my 'seen' list: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=28459984

BreakABone
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Shoot Em Up

One of my favorite movies this year.

Just so over the top.

And there are things you can do with a carrot.

The Germanator
09-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Watched The King of Kong the other night. Truly amazing documentary whether you like video games or not.

MrCoffee
09-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Balls of Fury - shittiest movie ever.

Angrist
09-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Balls of Fury - shittiest movie ever.
But but but it had Hiro in it!! :p

Yesterday I saw I Am Sam... it was decent. Sean Penn reminded me too much of Rain Man.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also saw Men In Black 2, it was entertaining.

BreakABone
11-26-2007, 10:53 PM
I watched The Ten.
Really good movie.
I recommend it to anyone here.
It is a smart comedy me think.
And best final song.

GameMaster
11-27-2007, 12:40 AM
August Rush.

A delight for the whole family.

Bube
11-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Last movie I watched was..2 weeks ago.. I watched Lost in Translation for the second time, and it's now firmly stuck right at the top of my favorite movies list.

Angrist
11-27-2007, 05:05 AM
Hehe, I love that movie as well. Bube, do you know Garden State and Im Juli? I also love those, they're pretty much the same genre. Im Juli is a German movie from a Turkish director, so I bet you know it.

Last movies I saw:

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain 8/10
A Love Song For Bobby Long 8/10
Ghost In The Shell 7/10
Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence 7/10
A Few Good Men 8/10
Identity 8/10 (tip!)
Save The Last Dance 7/10

Bube
11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Hehe, I love that movie as well. Bube, do you know Garden State and Im Juli? I also love those, they're pretty much the same genre. Im Juli is a German movie from a Turkish director, so I bet you know it.

I've watched Garden State as well, and I like it very much. I've heard of Im Juli, my roommates were watching it some time ago but I never watched it.. Didn't know it was the same kind..

Acebot44
12-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Saw Juno Thursday night.

Wow, fantastic for sure. People have been saying that its oscar worthy and its nice to see that cute films like Juno and Little Miss Sunshine are getting props lately.

Storm Eagle
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
In theaters: Transformers

On video: Home Alone

Typhoid
12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I watched Fido last night.

It's a movie set in the stereotypical movie-esque suburban 50's, where Zombies have come back to life, and they use them as slaves. It's a comedy, and it's actually really funny. I'd recommend it if you ever get the chance.

After that we watched Sicko. That movie sucked. Granted I was drinking, but it was about two and a half hours too long.

Angrist
12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Idiocracy 7/10

Quite funny movie about a guy who's frozen for 500 and then awakes in a world that hasn't become smarter, but much dumber.

Angrist
12-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Munich 8/10
Magnolia 7/10
Conspiracy Theory 8/10 (Bube, you might like this one as well)

Dyne
12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Oh good - I just wrote this review right now. Might as well post it here.

The Mist - 1/2 / 10.

Terrible acting - terrible delivery of mediocre lines. Unrealistic plot themed loosely threaded on survival but ends up feeling much too character-oriented, and the characters were too weak.

The special effects could be called decent - they would have fared better 10 years ago. However, that is considering if Starship Troopers hadn't come out.

I was disgusted at the end of the movie. Frank Darabont, you're a terrible person. Dimension Films is also a terrible company for stepping in - Darabont was trying to sell this movie, and specifically this ending, for 10 long years. There's a reason nobody else wanted it, Dimension. It's because it personally went and broke every fucking bee's knee from here to Gibraltar.

Fox 6
12-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Superbad. Fucking hilarious, Nuff said

BreakABone
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Superbad. Fucking hilarious, Nuff said

That's not enough.
Recommend everyone on this forum to go see it. :D

Best comedy in a long time.

manasecret
12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
The movie Bug -- at the ending, everything that is brought up during the plot of the movie is given absolutely zero explanation. There I said it. I hope it spoils it for everyone so no one goes and wastes their time seeing it. Hated it.

The Germanator
12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh good - I just wrote this review right now. Might as well post it here.

The Mist - 1/2 / 10.

Terrible acting - terrible delivery of mediocre lines. Unrealistic plot themed loosely threaded on survival but ends up feeling much too character-oriented, and the characters were too weak.

The special effects could be called decent - they would have fared better 10 years ago. However, that is considering if Starship Troopers hadn't come out.

I was disgusted at the end of the movie. Frank Darabont, you're a terrible person. Dimension Films is also a terrible company for stepping in - Darabont was trying to sell this movie, and specifically this ending, for 10 long years. There's a reason nobody else wanted it, Dimension. It's because it personally went and broke every fucking bee's knee from here to Gibraltar.

Damn, I really wanted to see this too...I read the Stephen King story a long time ago and I loved it so I was excited for this...I guess I shouldn't be anymore.

GameMaster
12-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Austin Powers: Goldmember

What happened to Felicity Shagwell? She's there at the end of the second film but just disappears without explanation in the third one. They didn't even write her off as a Fembot.

Swan
12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Superbad last night with Foxxy.

Bloody awesome.

It's soccer. It's soccer

Fox 6
12-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Superbad last night with Foxxy.

Bloody awesome.

It's soccer. It's soccer

"Awwwww no its the cops!"

brilliant. I laughed so hard.

GameMaster
12-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Walmart Pulls Superbad DVD Featuring Fake 'McLovin' License (http://consumerist.com/consumer/weird/walmart-pulls-superbad-dvd-featuring-fake-hawaii-mclovin-license-331471.php)

http://i2.tinypic.com/86zyn89.jpg

BlueFire
12-10-2007, 09:10 PM
So I saw Crimes and Misdemeanors last Friday...

One of my favorite movies ever, hands down

Swan
01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Just watched Sunshine and wow...

Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It just sort of...I can't even fully put my thoughts into words

Angrist
01-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Yeah, Sunshine did a lot of things right. But I personally missed something, I don't know. Maybe it got too weird and uncomprehensive near the end.

GameMaster
01-11-2008, 04:13 AM
I've really been meaning to watch that one. Glad to hear some positive reviews from fellow GameTaverners.

I've always been fond of Cillian Murphy

http://www.christophernolan.net/images/batman_photos_murphy.jpg

Angrist
01-11-2008, 04:36 AM
Those eyes, those eyes! :distress:

manasecret
01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I saw No Country for Old Men. I loved the acting and the storytelling, but the themes were a bit lost on me. But it's one of those movies that you know they're there, if you just look a little deeper and really listen to every bit of dialogue and ponder a little longer those lingering camera shots that you just know are there for a reason.

I loved the movie, but it's definitely one that requires multiple viewings. The character of Anton -- chilling.

Jason1
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Just watched Sunshine and wow...

Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It just sort of...I can't even fully put my thoughts into words

I saw it over the summer in Theatres at the only place that was showing it in my area. Not sure why it took so long to be released on DVD, but its a great movie. I just bought it yesterday. Loved it just as much the second time watching it. There are some truly epic space scenes in it that are too awsome for words.

Ginkasa
01-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I really liked Sunshine, but that...villain they shoehorned into the end really knocked it down from a "great" movie in my book.

Swan
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
The one thing about the movie that kind of sucked for me was that I knew about the villain at the end. So it wasn't a surprise to me

KillerGremlin
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I saw No Country for Old Men. I loved the acting and the storytelling, but the themes were a bit lost on me. But it's one of those movies that you know they're there, if you just look a little deeper and really listen to every bit of dialogue and ponder a little longer those lingering camera shots that you just know are there for a reason.

I loved the movie, but it's definitely one that requires multiple viewings. The character of Anton -- chilling.

I liked it a little bit better than Fargo. And yes, repeat viewings do help. Some of the dialect used slipped past me on the first viewing.

As for Sunshine...the movie was a mess. The Cinematography was fantastic, but the plot was horribly assembled. Danny Boyle is officially suspect in my book. 28 Days Later was going strong until about 2/3s of the way through, and so was Sunshine. The Event Horizon-eque plot twist was not needed. In fact, the movie could have been a great character study but instead it went for the cheap thrills which in turn did not work. However, it was good science fiction (although highly implausible). And again, purdy camera work and special effects.

I recommend Juno. Fans of Jason Bateman and Michael Cera (Arrested Development) will be happy.

Ginkasa
01-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I recommend Juno. Fans of Jason Bateman and Michael Cera (Arrested Development) will be happy.

I was actually surprised at how little Michael Cera was in it.

But its not about them. Its about Ellen Page's character, and you WILL be a fan of her's after you see Juno.

Angrist
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
National Treasure (1). Good movie, although some actors were a bit crappy. I'm looking at you, blond girl.

Bond
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

A masterpiece.

Fox 6
01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Rescue Dawn, a very enjoyable movie.

The Germanator
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
I saw The Savages (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/savages/) and it was pretty good. By no means uplifting, but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is great as usual.

GameMaster
01-15-2008, 12:54 AM
National Treasure (1). Good movie, although some actors were a bit crappy. I'm looking at you, blond girl.

Blonde girl was the only redeeming part of that movie. Thank Allah she was in the sequel too.

Swan
01-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Watched Pan's Labyrinth last night finally. Good movie.

Bond
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
American Graffiti.

Angrist
01-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Disturbia, which was pretty nice. The end scene was too dark for my TFT monitor, but I got the idea.

Today I'm going to watch 1 or 2 more movies because I'm illish.

Fox 6
01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Endless Waltz

The Germanator
01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I saw No Country For Old Men and The Business of Being Born.

No Country was enjoyable and different than what I expected going in. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised...

The Business of Being Born is a documentary about the health care of newborns and how women giving home births using midwives might be the way to go. I was kind of dragged to this by my girlfriend, but it was fairly interesting nonetheless. If you don't want to physically see a baby being born and all the blood and grossness that goes with it, then this isn't your film.

Jason1
01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Disturbia, which was pretty nice. The end scene was too dark for my TFT monitor, but I got the idea.

Today I'm going to watch 1 or 2 more movies because I'm illish.

Disturbia sucked hard. Terrible in comparision to Rear Window, a classic. And Shia Lebuff is a homo.

The Germanator
01-17-2008, 11:47 PM
And Shia Lebuff is a homo.

He disagrees. See below.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Angrist
01-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Disturbia sucked hard. Terrible in comparision to Rear Window, a classic. Rear Window is indeed a classic, I saw it a few months ago. But I still thought Disturbia was an enjoyable movie. Not a movie to remember though. But what movies are these days??

Ginkasa
01-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Rear Window is indeed a classic, I saw it a few months ago. But I still thought Disturbia was an enjoyable movie. Not a movie to remember though. But what movies are these days??

No Country for Old Men. Atonement. Two most recent. There's more.

KillerGremlin
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Shia Lebuff always gets casted with these really hot girls, and that is a good reason to dislike him. I thought he was miscast for Transformers but then again that was a horrible plotless movie that was fun to watch, especially if you watched it with a large bag of popcorn. Disturbia, being a remake and all, was decent. The fact that the ending was predictable didn't help, but I thought he fit that roll pretty well.

Angrist
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Was Disturbia officially a remake of "Rear Window"?
Hmm, IMDb faq says: The answer is No, not officially. However this film does have several differences between the storylines. This allowed them to bypass buying the original rights.

The film also has quite a few similarities to The 'Burbs. An early Tom Hanks film.Basically the only thing they have in common is a guy who can't leave his house and a guy next door who they think is a murderer.

Anyway, I know that there are enough good movies coming out, but only 5% of the cinema-released ones is memorable in my opinion.

I just saw Secret Window, which was pretty decent. Reminded me too much of Hide and Seek, which I liked better.

GameMaster
01-18-2008, 06:42 PM
I just saw Juno. I guess I was expecting something wacky with floor-rolling laughter. Because of the plot and good reviews and all.

Instead I was given a more serious indie film. No discredit of course. It was still good.

Except for that soundtrack. It was like being forcefully spoon-fed emo music against my will. Then again, that Juno girl is kind of emo so I guess it was only fitting...

Swan
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Saw Ichi the Killer last night. It was good but to be honest I was expecting it to be much more violent. I was actually a bit disappointed but other then that I enjoyed it

Bube
01-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Saw Im Juli and Dead Poets Society last night. Both were great.

Professor S
01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Basically the only thing they have in common is a guy who can't leave his house and a guy next door who they think is a murderer.

Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up...

:unsure:

Fox 6
01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Except for that soundtrack. It was like being forcefully spoon-fed emo music against my will. Then again, that Juno girl is kind of emo so I guess it was only fitting...

How dare you insult Mott the Hoople!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Angrist
01-20-2008, 05:05 AM
Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up... :unsure:No, just 2 bits in the plot. And people call it a remake?? That's my point, what's yours?

Bube, I'm glad you liked Im Juli. :) I wrote down Dead Poets Society, will watch it later.

I saw Sling Blade yesterday. About a mentally challenged (is that the correct term?) who comes out of jail and has to adjust to real life. When he was a kid, he killed his mother and the boy that was lying on top of her. With a sling blade.
Great acting, nice characters, good story. 8/10

Professor S
01-20-2008, 08:13 AM
No, just 2 bits in the plot. And people call it a remake?? That's my point, what's yours?

So two bits...

Let me ask you this: Without at least one of those two bits, would you bother watching either movie? No, of course not. Without the murder and the inability of the witness to escape, there is no tension, there is NO STORY.

Those two bits are the entire movie. The rest is just character development and an update for modern technology and communications. They also turned the age down to market to the youth audience, and they did make sure to get that all important PG-13 rating.

Its Rear Window for teenagers.

Professor S
01-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry, I just realized I came off like a complete dick in this thread. My apologies. Its something I'm working on... :-o

With that said, Disturbia is still an obvious remake of Rear Window.

Angrist
01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Without the murder and the inability of the witness to escape, there is no tension, there is NO STORY.On a side note, did you even see the movies? It's not about the inability to escape, it's about the inability to do something about it. And not being believed of course.

Although you make some good points, it still doesn't make Disturbia a remake of Rear Window. If you'd argue that it's heavily based on it, then I would instantly agree. But a remake? What is your definition of a remake?

Resident Evil for the GameCube was a remake. Ocean's Eleven was a remake. The Italian Job was a remake. 1998's Rear Window with Christopher Reeve was a remake. Disturbia was not.

Aaaaanyway, I'm going to watch Paris, je t'aime.

Professor S
01-20-2008, 02:10 PM
On a side note, did you even see the movies? It's not about the inability to escape, it's about the inability to do something about it. And not being believed of course.

So you agree that their plots are pretty much identical yet you don;t think its a remake??? A remake doesn't need to share the same name to be the same movie. They just need to be the same movie, and Disturbia and Rear Window are essentially the same movie.

And yes, I saw the movies. I went to school for film, so I've seen Rear Window multiple times, and the first extended shot probably dozens of times. Enjoy your French film. I find their sensibilities to be overwrought and self indulgent.

Angrist
01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Enjoy your French film. I find their sensibilities to be overwrought and self indulgent.I loved it, thank you. 8.5/10

thatmariolover
01-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Ah, so the only thing they have in common is the plot. Thanks for clearing that up...

:unsure:

That's not a plot, that's a setting.

Professor S
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Ok, then the inability to escape and also not being believed when the murder is witnessed is the plot. And yes, identical.

Angrist
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
So I Am Legend was a remake of 28 Days Later (just a few survivors after the rest of the country has turned into zombies).
Minority Report was a remake of The Fugitive (man on the run because he is wrongly accused of murder).
Spider-Man a remake of Superman (super-human fighting crime in a city).
Sunshine a remake of Event Horizon (crew finding a ship in space with some supernatural scary stuff aboard; traitor among the crew).

Enough? :)

manasecret
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
So I Am Legend was a remake of 28 Days Later (just a few survivors after the rest of the country has turned into zombies).
Minority Report was a remake of The Fugitive (man on the run because he is wrongly accused of murder).
Sunshine a remake of Event Horizon (crew finding a ship in space with some supernatural scary stuff aboard; traitor among the crew).

How depressing... regardless of the discussion you're having, it's depressing to see just how derivative most of the movies we watch are.

Professor S
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Actually I Am Legend is a remake of the Omega Man which was a remake of The Last Man on Earth (great movie) which was a filmed version of the novel I Am Legend. Your were close, though, and by close I mean miles away.

Except for the whole precog sci-fi plotline, child murder vendetta and social criticism, I guess so. Once again, so close.

Except for the fact that they are completely different in almost every way besides the fact they they both have superpowers that are nothing like one anothers. Not even close.

Haven't seen Sunshine yet, so I couldn't tell you.

Not yet, please keep them coming, this is fun.:D

Swan
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
There was no traitor among the crew in Sunshine. And the ship they found really wasn't full of supernaturals.

As well that isn't the plot of the movie:p

Typhoid
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
For once I completely agree with Strangie.

Angrist, you're way off on all of those.

Fox 6
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Sunshine was about saving the Earth, not just about finding the first ship. It had nothing to do with crazy supernatural stuff either, more to do with the human minds ability to deal with the unique condition they faced, and the results of what can happen when faced with such a burden.

Ginkasa
01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Actually I Am Legend is a remake of the Omega Man which was a remake of The Last Man on Earth (great movie) which was a filmed version of the novel I Am Legend. Your were close, though, and by close I mean miles away.

Is the movie I Am Legend a remake of The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man, or just another adaptation of the I Am Legend novel?

Perfect Stu
01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Saw 'No Country for Old Men' a few days ago...I thought it was excellent. Acting and direction were as sharp as any movie I've seen in the past few years.

And Disturbia is obviously a modern remake of 'Rear Window'. There is no denying it.

Angrist
01-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Saw Ichi the Killer last night. It was good but to be honest I was expecting it to be much more violent. I was actually a bit disappointed but other then that I enjoyed itDisappointed because a movie wasn't as violent as hoped... :(

Typhoid
01-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I am about to watch 3:10 to Yuma, and Hot Fuzz.

I shall report.

Swan
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Disappointed because a movie wasn't as violent as hoped... :(

I'm.....sorry?

But yeah, I just checked out Logans Run last night. It was quite neat

Swan
01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
JUst want to see Rambo with Foxxy and a friend. It was good, violent, but a little too short.

Professor S
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Is the movie I Am Legend a remake of The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man, or just another adaptation of the I Am Legend novel?

I think the most recent filmed version borrowed heavily from the novel and the first movie (The Last Man on Earth), starring Vincent Price. My point was that the movie had essentially been done before and before the movies it was a novel.

Jason1
01-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I just saw Rambo, not because I wanted to, but because I had little choice in the matter.

It was mildly entertaining. 5/10.

Perfect Stu
01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
saw Cloverfield...it was alright. if you want to see this movie, see it in theatres...i can imagine it would be much less entertaining on the small screen. sit as far away from the screen as you can.

3/5

GameMaster
01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm slowly making my way through Season 2 of The L Word.

I'm also on the last season of Oz but the torrent is so poor in quality that I'm going to have to rent it from my local Blockbuster.

Fox 6
01-29-2008, 09:32 PM
"This Film is Not Yet Rated"

ALL YOU AMERICANS ARE BLINDED BY THE MPAA!!!!!!!!!!

:P

Seriously, a scary good picture about the film rating system in the US.

DeathsHand
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I saw Juno...
It was alright I guess, but I'm sorta getting tired of all these indie "check out our lovably quirky characters who like to drop band names and dish out the occasional life lesson" flicks...

But the movie was, I must say, lovably quirky...

Perfect Stu
01-30-2008, 09:39 AM
but I'm sorta getting tired of all these indie "check out our lovably quirky characters who like to drop band names and dish out the occasional life lesson" flicks...

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/scrubs/Zach-Braff-summer.jpg

manasecret
01-30-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Image/scrubs/Zach-Braff-summer.jpg

Oh, that guy! He's so lovably quirky.

Oh oh oh wait, I see what you did there. Well played my friend, I shall owe you a pint.

Angrist
02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I saw "Open Water", about a young couple who are left in the middle of the ocean after a diving excursion. 80% of the movie is just 2 heads floating in the ocean, but it works. Dialogs are realistic, shots are alternative, the ending is pretty good. :)

manasecret
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
"Across the Universe." Meh. I liked it a good bit. But some of the shots and scenes were awfully weird and inexplicable for me.

The real musical is probably better.

Swan
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Watched The Machinist on the weekend.

Quite enjoyable though odd at times....well most times

Bube
02-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I watched A Scanner Darkly for the second time, 2 days ago - just now understood some stuff, but it's pretty good.

I will be watching Knocked Up tonight.

Fox 6
02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Dr. Stragelove, one of my most favourite movies.

Angrist
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Two Brothers. 9/10

I guess I liked it even better because I used to love tigers as a kid.

GameMaster
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I just completed watching the HBO series, Oz.

A+

What I learned: being a prisoner is damn cool

Acebot44
02-25-2008, 07:06 PM
<object width="450" height="210"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emb/3702"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emb/3702" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="210" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

GameMaster
02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Dear Diary,

Two nights ago I began my journey into a dainty little television series titled, 'Freaks and Geeks'. I've also dove into 'The Tudors'. Both have tugged at the strings of my interest.

Your Friend,

GM

http://24.4.115.29/~synthoid/freekgeeks.jpg

BreakABone
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
What is Tudors?
I love Freaks and Geeks. If you like that should also check out Undeclared.

i recently saw Undead or Alive. Its a zombie cowboy movie. Quite good.

Swan
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I've been watching Freaks and Geeks quite a bit lately. Since Friday or Saturday I've gotten through about 13 of the episodes

Ginkasa
02-26-2008, 02:08 AM
What is Tudors?

King Henry VIII. Anne and Mary Boleyn. Etc. Aired on Showtime about a year ago.

Angrist
03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles, 8/10. "A Very Long Engagement" tells the story of a young woman's relentless search for her fiancée, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One. Really manages to keep you on the edge of your seat. Is he dead? Is he alive?

Professor S
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Shitty Movie

Wow, that blew. I actually liked the first one, too. But wow... that blew.

Angrist
03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring.

I'm not sure yet if this is a 7 or an 8 movie.

It's easy to say "Wow, they make movies like this in Korea? Good job, 8!!" But I want to be fair here. I think I'll go with a 7. On the other hand, it's so refreshing, after all those Hollywood movies. 8?

GameMaster
03-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Last night I just began a new series on AMC called Breaking Bad.

Its about "Walter White, a struggling high school chemistry teacher with a handicapped child and pregnant wife. When the already-tense White is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, he breaks down and turns to a life of crime, setting up a meth lab in order to support his family"

The first episode was really great. Definitely going to continue with this one.

I'm avoiding watching the last episode of Freaks and Geeks cause I don't want it to end. :baby:

First two episodes of Season 2 of The Tudors were leaked. Its shaping up to be quite thrilling.

TV shows on my to-watch list:

- Mad Men
- Damages
- Undeclared
- The Wire

manasecret
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Those AMC shows Mad Men and Breaking Bad are interesting. They had some episodes to watch on the AMC website awhile back, but I can't seem to find them now.

Angrist
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Hero. 9/10.

Gorgeous movie. Amazing scenes, so pretty!!

Angrist
03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem was actually a pretty good movie in my opinion!
Sure, it didn't have good characters/actors, or a great story, but the Alien/Predator action was awesome.
7/10

Swan
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Kind of saw the Goonies this weekend with Foxxy and made a startling discovery that makes it so i can never watch that movie again....

Josh Brolin is in it. I just hope this has not tainted No Country for me

Angrist
03-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Revolver 6/10
Trying too hard to be confusing. Some great acting and scenes though.

Stardust 8/10
Gorgeous movie. Oh and a cute girl, I could watch her face for hours.

Professor S
03-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Werner Herzog's Nosferatu. It about the 4th time I've seen it, and I love Herzog's german film sensibilities. See Fitacarraldo if you get the chance.

IMO German film has always been vastly superior to the tripe that is so lauded in French film. Cinema Verite is just fucking lazy.

ulala06
04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
no country for old men: 10
there will be blood: 8/10 (for the last 20 minutes alone.)
horton hears a who: 3.5 (they really tried with Katie and the anime part)
the ruins: 6 (i was pleasantly surprised)
wrong turn: 3 (i'm behind on the times i know)
dead alive: 10 (amazing! thank you peter jackson.)
the orphanage: 10 (way better than pan's labyrinth)

that caught you guys up on the past month or so.

Swan
04-07-2008, 12:40 AM
No Country kicked my ass so hard. Bloody amazing.

And I still am looking for a copy of Dead Alive

ulala06
04-07-2008, 12:47 AM
hmmm my boyfriend got his for like $2.50 on amazon... order there?

Ginkasa
04-07-2008, 01:57 AM
Nim's Island was alright in the a very "for four year olds" kind of way. The scenes with Jodie Foster were pretty cool (if just because I really like Jodie Foster). Its hilarious how Gerard Butler MacGuyvers his way out of anything. Abigail Breslin's scenes are really... unnecessary however. There basically fake conflict thrown in so she has something to do other than cry about her daddy.

Leatherheads was only okay, too. There were some funny bits, but most of that was in the trailer. Meh.

Angrist
04-07-2008, 02:38 AM
El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth) 7/10
This movie is so overrated, it's not funny anymore. So it's made in Spain, has good computer effects, a decent story and a nice atmosphere. Nothing I haven't seen before.

Bridge To Terabithia 8/10
Gorgeous movie. Makes you feel like 11 again.

Top Gun 6/10
What's all the fuzz about? Tome Cruise who flies a jet fighter. The parody Hot Shots is better, even without the humor.

KillerGremlin
04-16-2008, 02:18 AM
The ending of There Will Be Blood was hysterical and demented. I was kind of expecting "rosebud!" But walking out of the theater with a smile on my face was much more rewarding.

I just watched From Dusk Till Dawn.

BreakABone
04-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Just watched Rambo or John Rambo. Whatever the movie is called.

And I didn't think it was anything special. I expected it to be a lot more bloody and violent. It came off as using too much blood for no reason.

MAybe just my expectations.

Typhoid
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I might have said this before, I'm too exhausted to re-read.

10,000BC.
Sucked.
End review.

Bube
04-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I watched 1408 last night. It was a pretty good thriller (good acting, cliché but well written story and some great wtf moments), but I couldn't really understand the ending.

-alpha-
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I saw Run Fatboy, Run yesterday

8.5/10

David Schwimmer's first attempt at directing wasn't bad, legitimately funny, and with simon pegg as the lead man, the british humour was halarious.

BreakABone
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I saw Saving Private Ryan for the first time.
Pretty damn good movie.
And I now know who to blame for the influx of World War II shooters. ;)

Angrist
04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
He must have realized as well, because now he started making games. :eyes:

Swan
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I watched 1408 last night. It was a pretty good thriller (good acting, cliché but well written story and some great wtf moments), but I couldn't really understand the ending.

Yeah, I've noticed with alot of Stephen King stories I love the story and the buld up and everything. I just hate the ending. Most of his stuff the ending is just a let down

Ginkasa
04-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Yeah, I've noticed with alot of Stephen King stories I love the story and the buld up and everything. I just hate the ending. Most of his stuff the ending is just a let down

Supposedly its because he's a fan of just writing stuff without really planning it. Letting things flow on their own. So he just writes and writes until he decides its time to end it... And it does...

Angrist
04-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I haven't seen that many movies lately, just Microcosmos.
Gorgeous movie/documentary about insects. 8/10.

Bube
04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I remember watching Dreamcatcher, it was an even bigger disappointment. There seems to be a problem with Stephen King movies :)

I watched Donnie Darko again last night. It gets better each time. I absolutely love the dark, schizophrenic atmosphere of the movie.

Angrist
04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Ah, now I want to see Donnie Darko again. I have it on DVD, so go me!

Typhoid
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I just saw No country for old men the other day.

And, it was good. I liked the lack of dialogue.
But I wouldn't watch the movie again, to be honest.

Dyne
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I rented No Country for Old Men last night. Good movie. I couldn't see (or hear) why it won awards in sound design, but then again I never really agree with the Academy Awards. I was also checking what time it was in the last half an hour of the movie because they kind of dropped the ball in terms of momentum. I was more wondering when it was going to be over more than how.

Fox 6
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
You should both be clubbed to death by Anton Chigurh. :p

Angrist
05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
Iron Man. It was a very decent superhero movie. It went a bit fast at the end though. 8/10

BreakABone
05-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Iron Man. It was a very decent superhero movie. It went a bit fast at the end though. 8/10

You know we have an Iron Man movie thread right? :p

Angrist
05-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah, but I didn't want to go into the whole discussion. Just some quick thoughts, which this thread is for. :D

Dyne
05-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I watched both Shoot-em-up and The Rock yesterday on Blu-ray. Both are fantastic movies. I couldn't put a rating to them though.

BreakABone
05-18-2008, 02:58 PM

Jason1
05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I saw Ironman yesterday. Not nearly as good as the reviews its been getting. Actually, it was pretty bad.

Teuthida
05-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Just saw Renaissance. The style was more Sin City than Sin City was.

Bond
05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
My Blueberry Nights with Jude Law, Norah Jones, and Natalie Portman. I'd give it an average rating.

Angrist
05-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Paprika. Very pretty and interesting anime movie. 8/10

Also: Spielberg bought the rights to Ghost in the Shell, they'll turn it into a real life action movie. We'll see how it works out. But first there will be Akira next year.

GameMaster
05-25-2008, 04:30 AM
I saw Young@Heart with someone today. It's a documentary that follows a group of old people who sing songs that young people listen too.

It was refreshing to get away from the glimmer and gleam of those multi-million dollar, CGI popcorn flicks I'm so accustomed to seeing.

BreakABone
05-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Had a SLOW day at work yesterday so.

Die Hard. One of those movies I can watch over and over. So damn awesome.

Prince and Me: A pretty decent romantic comedy. It plays by the rules for the most part. Throws you a loop at the bottom of the 9th but is called out at the last moment.

Shrek the 3rd: Not as good as the first two, but not as awful as people made me believe.

Yeah weekends are sometimes too relaxing here.

KillerGremlin
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and What Happens In Vegas Stays In Vegas. Both movies were like 2 or 2.5 star affairs, so not bad.

Vampyr
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw Ironman yesterday. Not nearly as good as the reviews its been getting. Actually, it was pretty bad.

I thought it was amazing. :)

Saw Prince Caspian the other day, it wasn't very good, sadly. Also watched Juno for the first time the other night, it was fantastic.

Teuthida
05-31-2008, 12:28 AM
How would you compare Prince Caspian to the first movie? Was thinking of going to see it tomorrow.

Vampyr
05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
How would you compare Prince Caspian to the first movie? Was thinking of going to see it tomorrow.

I really enjoyed he first movie. It told the story very well, had the nostalgia of reading the first book going for it, and had an epic battle. I would have given the first one at 8/10 (the acting wasn't very good).

I'd give Caspian a 5/10 or a 6/10. The acting is even worse, and the story is not told well at all. The only thing it has going for it is the cool battles and visual effects, and the fact that Eddie Izzard is the voice of Reepicheep.

When the movie starts, you think it's going to be good, and it has good potential. But they try to have all these conflicts between the characters, but nothing ever goes anywhere. By the end of the movie, you don't feel like anythin ever really happened.

Dyne
05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
I just saw Iron Man, finally. Fuckin' sweet movie. Downey IS tits.

Angrist
05-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Just saw Cloverfield. I went in with no expectations at all. It was a pretty cool movie. I should have seen it with my brother, he would have liked it too.
7/10.

BreakABone
05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I just saw Iron Man, finally. Fuckin' sweet movie. Downey IS tits.

Jeebsus man why the hell are you just now seeing iron man?

Did the high praise this forum give it not enough for you?

Dyne
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Jeebsus man why the hell are you just now seeing iron man?

Did the high praise this forum give it not enough for you?

I don't have unlimited free time / money. :p

BreakABone
05-31-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't have unlimited free time / money. :p

I'm sure one of your man love on these forums would have treated you. ;)

Dyne
05-31-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sure one of your man love on these forums would have treated you. ;)

..But Christian Bale doesn't go to Gametavern. And he's my only mancrush.

BreakABone
05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
..But Christian Bale doesn't go to Gametavern. And he's my only mancrush.

I didn't say it was your mancrush.

I said your man love. And well you know who they are. :p Now if they know is a completely different question.

Bube
06-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I saw Indy last night. Classic Indy movie - I don't really care what people thought about it, I loved it.

Angrist
06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Deja Vu. 8/10. A great movie, right on par with Minority Report, Abre Los Ojos and some others that I forgot.

BlueFire
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Deja Vu. 8/10. A great movie, right on par with Minority Report, Abre Los Ojos and some others that I forgot.

Abre los Ojos was great.

Oh man, Penelope Cruz. She's so hot.

GameMaster
06-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I just got back from Indiana Jones. I thought it was great. Right on par with the same fun-loving, American adventurism that was in the previous 3 movies.

Seriously, as soon as a foreigner watches one of the action sequences and hears that classic theme playing, how they can they not rush to nearest American citizenship class?

That's good ol' Indy for ya.

Teuthida
06-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I just saw Strings. The world is inhabited by marionettes who know they have strings. Quite an interesting concept and was pretty to boot, but a little hard to take seriously at first.

The fact that the characters are played by marionettes is incorporated into the movie's fictional universe. That is, the characters are literally marionettes. Wide shots of the countryside reveal millions of strings stretching endlessly into the sky, each one representing an individual on earth. Nobody knows how far the strings reach or who is controlling them. As far as the characters know the strings are controlled by a higher power.

When a string attached to a moveable limb is severed, it is analogous to amputation; the individual loses the ability to use that body part. Once a string is cut nothing can repair it or bring back to life whatever it was attached to. If the "head string" is cut it results in permanent death.

Since nothing can reanimate a body part after its string is cut, repairs to injured individuals must be made using healthy, unsevered parts. An unfortunate collection of poor people and prisoners is kept as a donor class. When a person of royalty or other social importance loses a body part, another is involuntarily taken from a prisoner and replaced with its string intact.

Prisons are designed around the fact that the strings reach up endlessly into the sky. Rather than cells, the prisoners are confined underneath huge horizontal grids, and the range of mobility allowed by their strings is limited by small square openings in the grid through which the strings are inserted and locked within.

Instead of giving birth, a couple fashions a new child out of wood, and the "pregnant" wife begins to grow fine, silky strings on her own. At the end of the "pregnancy" the newborn strings detach from the mother's and fasten to the infant, miraculously endowing it with life.

Later it is also revealed that some people have discovered the ability to "leap" incredible distances and effectively fly for a short time; essentially this is analogous to the puppeteer jerking on the marionette's string and making it soar through the sky. It is only when the protagonist understands the unity of all living things, and the power of love, that he is able to acquire the skill.

Bube
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I watched Groundhog Day last night. I thought it was brilliant.

thatmariolover
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I watched Groundhog Day last night. I thought it was brilliant.

First time!? One of my favorite movies ever! :p

Angrist
06-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah mine too.
If you like the concept and you like mini-series, try Day Break. It's about a cop who gets falsely (?) accused for murder. He gets stuck in 1 day to solve the murder. Very good series, even though it starts a little bit slow. :)

Bube
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
First time!? One of my favorite movies ever! :p
Waaay back when I was 8, I rented the movie on pay-per-view. Then I forgot that I had, and never got to watch it. Until two nights ago. I felt weird finally getting to see the movie :)

Angrist
06-07-2008, 05:54 PM
The Terminator 8/10
Terminator 2: Judgement Day 8/10

I had both seen them before, T2 a few times. I was especially surprised at how good T1 was! I really enjoyed it a lot and I thought it was very scary in at least 3 scenes.

Next on my list is T3 (seen it once, wasn't too fond of it) and then The Sarah Connor Chronicles. :)

Teuthida
06-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Kung Fu Panda. Pure awesomeness.

Vampyr
06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
The Terminator 8/10
Terminator 2: Judgement Day 8/10

I had both seen them before, T2 a few times. I was especially surprised at how good T1 was! I really enjoyed it a lot and I thought it was very scary in at least 3 scenes.

Next on my list is T3 (seen it once, wasn't too fond of it) and then The Sarah Connor Chronicles. :)

Mmm, T2 is fantastic. One of my favorite movies.

I've been wanting to see Kung Fu Panda. XD I'm really wanting to watch the Zohan movie, too, anyone seen it?

BlueFire
06-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I just ordered Crimes and Misdemeanors so I can watch it over and over again. :p

Anyone else like that Woody Allen film?

Angrist
06-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Terminator 3 sucked!! I liked the pilot of The Sarah Connor Chronicles better than this movie.
So 6/10.

Aladuf
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I watched Grandmas Boy for the first time in a while last night. I loved the shit out of it when it came out, and I still do now. That movie is so funny, I'm not sure I understand all the hate it gets.

Combine 017
06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
The last good movie I saw was WoTS.

GameMaster
06-08-2008, 05:06 PM
The last good movie I saw was WoTS.

Word On The Street?

Angrist
06-08-2008, 05:36 PM
War on The Shins?
Walking on Tin Shields?
William of Ten Sharks?
Weekends of Tiring Sleep?

Pylon_Trooper
06-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Here's my list or recently viewed movies:

- Shoot 'Em Up
- Eastern Promises
- 3:10 To Yuma
- Layer Cake

Eastern Promises bored the bejeezuz outta me. Damn you, Cronenberg...how is THAT a decent follow-up to A History Of Violence?! Pfft.

Everything else was alright.

Angrist
06-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Beautiful Girls (1996) - 8/10
Reminded me a lot of Garden State, in a good way.

Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 8/10
Really adds a new depth to the Terminator world. Much better than Terminator 3. I'm glad they're making a season 2!

Indiana Jones 1 8/10
Indiana Jones 2 6/10
Indiana Jones 3 8/10

Aladuf
06-15-2008, 05:55 PM
oh! I watched Shoot 'em Up on blu ray the other night. That movie was so awesome! Pure action, soo good.