PDA

View Full Version : @&#%$@^# Microsoft, Die, damn you!

Cyrax9
04-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Microsoft has gone too damn far! I normally wouldn't even be this outranged with their usual stupidity, but this takes the cake. The next version of M$ office, dubbed NGO, which stands for "next Generation Office",anyone besides me noticing a lack of creativity here, is going to have a surprise "feature" in it.

Are surprise feature is that it's going to be subscription based, and I'm not talking about an ISP, or OfficeXP Producta activation. I'm talking about a monthley subscriptioan to use MS Word, excel, Powerpoint, and so on. This is just plain idiotic!

Good by bill @#$%^$#ing gates, You can kiss my @$$ when you see me buy a Mac or a 'nix based system!

At least AOL can make decent crap, but Microsoft has hit a new low.

I hope the 9 states that are still fighting M$ win the lawsuit and start to break up the Company.

I'm not paying a monthly fee to typew my Spreadsheets and Schoolwork! Besides, think about the swiss-cheese-sized security holes M$ will have in this thing, what good can it do? None.

Death to Microsoft, and Death to crappy OS's and companies with Monoploys.

The day a Decent OS is released from Microsoft will be the day hell freezes over!

I hope everyone considers this before they decide to get another PC. If Any one gave me a ciopy of this crap, I'd spit on it, and break the disc's in half.

I can't wait for the day $ is forced to declare Level 4 Bankruptcy, I'll be laughing with Joy, they've gone too damn far this time!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

manasecret
04-24-2002, 12:36 AM
While it does suck, it's not so bad. It will probably be easily hacked to allow free access, which lets me feel like I'm paying back Microsoft for their **** OS's.
:bunny:

db

Ric
04-24-2002, 08:31 AM
Right before I get started I just have to say to the guy above me: 'Secret Of Mana Rules'... Right now I've got that out of my system.

:mad2: WTF... those stupid mother fu***rs. What the hell kind of a way to sell your product is that, people will download a crack, use an older version or just plain not buy a 'microsoft ready' machine. This is an utterly ridiculous and completely stupid idea. Oh did I mention that it's ridiculous and stupid as well.

Idiots, a curse be upon them. Bill Gates will live in the gutter outside my house and get a daily kicking in.

Oh well, I think I'll just stick to using my 'free' copy of Microsoft Office 2000... the one I paid absolutely nothing for. :D

Angrist
04-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Man, it's just so funny to see people go mad about something that you don't care about. :D

Not that I don't care, I just don't care much...

sdtPikachu
04-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Man, it's just so funny to see people go mad about something that you don't care about.

True, in a way it is. Try www.openoffice.org

But laughing at it doesn't make the problem go away, and that problem is this:

M$ has an effective monopoly on Office software (far more than they do on operating systems), which has made M$ office the standard.
Hence they can do what they damn well please.
Including anally rape you for your money.

people will download a crack

They might, but corps will still have to fork out the dosh. Businesses come under far far more scrutiny than even the most conspicuous home user. Many businesses live in mortal fear of a software audit.

Because there is no real competition, M$ can do anything they want with Office, knowing that the entire business world (where the REAL money is) will have to follow cos they're being grabbed by the balls. Clever move.

To make this worse, even though under the antitrust judgement emplaced on them they are being forced to reveal their API's and source to developers so they can manafacture competing AND COMPATIBLE products, they've included several clauses which will stop open source software (Office's only REAL threat) from entering this sphere at all. Also clever. This has already thrown up furore over Samba/NFS (*nix protocols designed to make *nix machines work on M$ proprietary networks, epecially printer networks) technically now being illegal.

Unfortunately, M$'s failure to disclose their API's to open source developers and their continued insistence on changing the .doc format with every new version have managed to produce a product unassailable by all competition. The *nix office clients, such as the KDE and GNOME systems (as well as others, like OpenOffice or Sun's Star Office) are compatible by and large, but there are still many many issues where Office alternatives just won't work with M$ Office.

Hence, there is no competition, and M$ get to shaft the rest of the world for all they want.

[b]You can kiss my @$$ when you see me buy a Mac...[/b[

Hey Cyrax, guess what the standard Office software for Mac's is? I'll give you three chances. In fact, I'll even give you a clue - it's an anagram of SicroMoft Fofice.

So basically, short of supporting open source and making sure the US actually do something about this illegal monopoly M$ has, there isn't going to be much of a light at the end of the tunnel.

Much info/news about computers can be found at www.theregister.co.uk, www.theregus.com and http://slashdot.org where you can see all of M$'s most recent rants about how terrible open source is, how great M$ software is, how it would be impossible for them to make Windows a modular system (like Linux, where you can install/run whatever products you want and heave the rest in the trash) and all the rest of it.

I wish more people would read up on more of Microsofts latest actions, cos then I wouldn't have to explain my hatred to them.

Open source software has the potential to provide high quality free software to all that require it, simply by people coding in their spare time as part of a large group. People who care PASSIONATELY about making a good product - they are simply trying to reward others who have contributed software which they have used. It would be rather a shame to see OSS shot in the foot by M$, for everyone's sakes.

Cyrax9
04-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Oh Pika, Belive me, I'm reading about M$, and I'm starting to hope Bill Gates has some M$ product literally explode in his face, and I've seen the Anti-trust suit, which I hope can go a little farther. As far as M$ Office on the MAC their are alternitives, at least their used to be, so I can just wipe the M$ part of the MAC systemm, but you're right about Buisenesses. They're forced into M$ Office, which sucks, and is the reason most companies get hacked into on a regular basis. I've found little ways around M$ Office's defects, but they definatly have a chokehold on Buisness right now, and unless somebody in the Government gets off their @$$, and starts putting sme restrictioons on Microsoft, they're going to continue their "World-Domination" of the PC, and it's making me sick. Sadly the only reason Apple was kept from going ankrupt a few ears back was because the Government forced M$ to help them without taking over. If I were Steve Jobs, AOL Time-Warner, Netscape, or any other Company I'd ban together against Microsoft, and try to put up a fight. As soon as people can disolve Microsoft I'll be hopeful that this "PC Monopoly" will end. As for using "Free" Version's of office, my dad's doing it with my Bro's Office 2k discs, since our copy of Office 95 was wiped out and the B@st@rds at M$ wouldn't replace it. I'd love for someone to design a irus that attacks Windows XP itself, and destroys it from the inside-out. It woul give me such great plerasure to watch Microsoft Crumble to their knees after what they've done to everyone. Their should be a law that once Microsoft is dissolved any people who wqere "forced" into Microsoft products they didn't want can still reive support for their systems via former microsoft employees that are kept under the watchful ee of the government.

Bill gates has pulled off what seems like a stupid move, and the day Microsoft is no more will be the greatest day in Histroy. In fact, I'd make it a Worldwide Holiday and party with a Week-long Vacation celebrating the world's independace from M$, because it would be deserved.

If M$ weren't around, we'd have less of a Need for Virus-Scans and Firewalls.

AOHell's done some pretty SH*TTY stuff, but nothingas bad as M$, and their very existance outranges me.

May Bill Gates die slowly and Painfully in a government prison cell. I thought the US protect against "Cruel and Unusal Punsishment", but it dosen't seem like it when you're forced into M$ software to use most of your applications. I'd love some PC companies to ban together and kiss M$ goodbye while going to support Mac's for OS's, and develop theri own Office Programs tha would make M$ look like the dung-heap it is.

Die M$, Die!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sdtPikachu
04-26-2002, 11:09 PM
So, Cyrax; let me get this straight.

You're not a fan of this new tactic then?

"Where shall we make you bend over today?"

One Winged Angel
04-27-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Cyrax9
Oh Pika, Belive me, I'm reading about M$, and I'm starting to hope Bill Gates has some M$ product literally explode in his face, and I've seen the Anti-trust suit, which I hope can go a little farther. As far as M$ Office on the MAC their are alternitives, at least their used to be, so I can just wipe the M$ part of the MAC systemm, but you're right about Buisenesses. They're forced into M$ Office, which sucks, and is the reason most companies get hacked into on a regular basis. I've found little ways around M$ Office's defects, but they definatly have a chokehold on Buisness right now, and unless somebody in the Government gets off their @$$, and starts putting sme restrictioons on Microsoft, they're going to continue their "World-Domination" of the PC, and it's making me sick. Sadly the only reason Apple was kept from going ankrupt a few ears back was because the Government forced M$ to help them without taking over. If I were Steve Jobs, AOL Time-Warner, Netscape, or any other Company I'd ban together against Microsoft, and try to put up a fight. As soon as people can disolve Microsoft I'll be hopeful that this "PC Monopoly" will end. As for using "Free" Version's of office, my dad's doing it with my Bro's Office 2k discs, since our copy of Office 95 was wiped out and the B@st@rds at M$ wouldn't replace it. I'd love for someone to design a irus that attacks Windows XP itself, and destroys it from the inside-out. It woul give me such great plerasure to watch Microsoft Crumble to their knees after what they've done to everyone. Their should be a law that once Microsoft is dissolved any people who wqere "forced" into Microsoft products they didn't want can still reive support for their systems via former microsoft employees that are kept under the watchful ee of the government.

Bill gates has pulled off what seems like a stupid move, and the day Microsoft is no more will be the greatest day in Histroy. In fact, I'd make it a Worldwide Holiday and party with a Week-long Vacation celebrating the world's independace from M$, because it would be deserved.

If M$ weren't around, we'd have less of a Need for Virus-Scans and Firewalls.

AOHell's done some pretty SH*TTY stuff, but nothingas bad as M$, and their very existance outranges me.

May Bill Gates die slowly and Painfully in a government prison cell. I thought the US protect against "Cruel and Unusal Punsishment", but it dosen't seem like it when you're forced into M$ software to use most of your applications. I'd love some PC companies to ban together and kiss M$ goodbye while going to support Mac's for OS's, and develop theri own Office Programs tha would make M$ look like the dung-heap it is.

Die M$, Die!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

and wut OS are you using right now?

Cyrax9
04-27-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by NeonNightCloud

I told you, I was forced into Windows ME, because I wanted one last machine with at least partial MS_DOS support, and since it was free from my dad I chose a M$ machinbe, howeer the minte I put MY name on a bill for a PC, it won't be running anything M$ that isn't nessecary. I bought this PC for three things, games, movies, and Music. I can get the same results with Linux, and my aunt is probably going to build a Linux system as well, so I'll have a "technical" referance when I do decide to buy another Machine in a few years. I didn't mind Windows ME, only because their was some DOS compatibily, which is what I liked for older games. WindowsXP corssed the line,and when I was forced into using "OfficeXP" I was angry as ever, and I knew that this would be the last Windoze based system I buy. I've used mac's, and I can safely say I prefer them over PC's now, and I'll be trying Linux this summer on an old PC, so I should be able to maek a descision when the time comeson which system I want, probably linux, but M$ is over after this PC.

gekko
04-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Welcome to Microsoft .NET. Sure you Windows XP users here a lot about it, I guess you forgot to realize what it was before you updated :D

Microsoft .NET service will be Microsoft's way to stop piracy. Did I forget to mention 99% of people in hong Kong use a pirated version of Windows? Of course, since Microsoft isn't making enough money as it is :rolleyes: they now have to make you subscribe to use the software. That way, they can make sure you only have it installed on one computer (unless you buy another license), and make sure it won't get pirated. Gotta pay to use it, and have your own serial number, which gets attached to your computer.

So now you guys are stuck subscribing to use your software. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? First things first, for the people that are bitching, if any of you have pirated software on your PC, don't cry, cause you're part of the reason these things happen. For the rest of you... say hello to the new iMac :D

For the record, Office v.X for Mac OS X is MUCH, like not even funny, better than the Windows version, Office XP or whatever. Seriously, it's hilarious how MBU (Macintosh Business Unit) can create so much better software than MS's PC guys. On Macs, MS software isn't too bad. IE works great, Office (including Entourage, greatest email client ever) works beyond perfectly, WMP is great, MSN Messenger is great. As long as you avoid Windows, you're good.

Did I mention Return to Castle Wolfenstein for Mac OS X just shipped, as did Norton SystemWorks 2 which now runs natively in OS X :) Time to convert my friends.

Angrist
04-27-2002, 01:10 PM
Wow, I declare this as 'the thread with the longest posts'. Or something like it. :D

sdtPikachu
04-27-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by NeonNightCloud

Perhaps you don't understand the implications of the word "monopoly". Basically, if you want to use certain programs, what OS are you going to have to use? Windows, or to a far lesser extent, MacOS, which doesn't have half the "industrial" programs that windows supports. I know plenty of people who, although they'd rather not, HAVE to use windows. Thats the thing when you have a 90% monopoly of the home market - there's not alot of choice.

Even when OEM's tried to ship computers "naked" (i.e. without an operating system already installed) or with a non-Windows OS (Linux for the most part), Microsoft said "you can't do that".
Now OEM's who ship naked boxes are bribed to give the names and addresses of the people they sell them to, so M$ can keep tabs on them.
Dell (amongst others) used to ship PC's with Linux installed. M$ pulled a few strings and said "if you keep on supplying Linux computers we'll either raise the price of our licensing agreement so you can no longer remain competitive, or we'll withdraw your license completely". Result? Sod all companies ship Linux pre-installed any more.

Of course, this is all totally illegal behaviour, but as the antitrust settlements show M$ are easily capable of getting away with murder.

[paranoid rant]As for the .net bollocks, I have my own theory about this kinda thing. I envisage M$ wants a world where no-one owns a computer, just a keyboard, mouse, monitor and high speed net access to one of M$'s mainframes. All your files are stored under M$'s protection, and you rent storage space from them. Everything is delivered down your DSL line. Want a new prog installed? Easy, just hand over your credit card number to M$ and they'll give you oooh say a weeks access to a certain application, then you have to pay more rental.

Funnily enough, it was the Xbox whixh made me think of all this; a small PC sitting under your TV with a high speed cable comping out the back, USB ports on the front, PC architecture inside. Obviously, it's not big enough to store all those juicy Office apps that everyone loves so much, so why not just provide them online?

This was M$ get total control over piracy, cos there's no reason any more to ship out the CD's - no one will ever even get to see the binaries, let alone the source. Piracy will be shot dead in it's tracks. Your files will no longer be your exclusive property, but stored on some distant server and streamed to you, at your own expense.

Initially, this will all be cheaper than buying your own PC. Eventually, the home PC market will dwindle, and prices of ownership of PC's will rocket, so no-one will buy them, and everyone will go for the networked option, save for a few hardened M$ haters like myself, who will have to spend a fortune building our own computers and downloading copies of Linux (or whatever) from anonymous FTP servers out of M$'s zone of control. And the government and the people will happily accept all this, due to gushings of "but oh this will improve national security no end!" and all the other crap they like to come out with.[/paranoid rant]

But I digress. Sure, Office on the Mac is a helluva lot better than it is on the PC, and the mac version of IE even complies to some W3C standards (shock, horror!) - in case you don't know, much of IE goes against the web standards set down the the World Wide Web Consortium, because Microsoft now "make their own worldwide standards", much to everyone elses annoyance.
I'm still trying as hard as possible not to use any M$ software anymore ever, not just because I hate everything they stand for, but bacuse of all the security holes and "features" designed to make it easier to spy on me/bombard me with ads.

I have now given up Office in lieu of my Linux apps and NoteTab
MSN messenger replaced by Trillian ages ago, replaced by Jabber in Linux
Outlook Express - never used, I'm a Eudora fan (sorry gekko, it's way more powerful than Entourage) or Sylpheed in Linux.
IE went out the window months ago, I've been using Opera as my default browser for months. I especially like the buttons marked "block pop-up ads" and "disable.... <insert irritating IE feature here>". It's also faster and easier to use, and sans a patch every fortnight cos it's not loaded down with all those crappy ActiveX controls. scripting and the like.
WMP has been replaced entirely by Quicktime and Winamp in windows, or XMMS (same thing as winamp - even uses the same skins) and Xine in Linux.

I now use Linux for about 80% of the time I spend on my computer, and this is solely due to a few niggling problems I'm having cos I'm a total n00b. Once these are sorted, other than for playing games I can't see any reason for me to ever boot my windows partition ever again.

Thank you Unix :D

gekko
04-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Eudora? Ick man. Entourage is FAR better. I can't stand Eudora, ick, ick.

And what do you classify as industrial programs?

Xantar
04-28-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
Wow, I declare this as 'the thread with the longest posts'. Or something like it. :D

It's most certainly not the thread with the longest posts. Any number of religion threads had much longer ones (many of them by me, of course. sdtPikachu and BigJustinW were the other big contributers).

sdtPikachu
04-28-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by gekko
Eudora? Ick man. Entourage is FAR better. I can't stand Eudora, ick, ick.[b]

Well, never could stand entourage myself. Horses for courses I guess. I just find that it's filtering sucked compared to Eudora, and I didn't like the interface much at all; plus, from my experience anyway, Eudora has more functionality in the things I care about.

And what do you classify as industrial programs?

By industrial programs, I mean expensive applications that usually only businesses can afford/need (not counting cracked version obviously). Examples include photoshop, 3DS Max and a whole host of statistical modelling software and the like (but lower end than the supercomputer stuff). Uni is full of all sorts of obscure programs; the old apps run on our Unix machines (typically the Sun Sparc's), all the astronomy software runs on Linux (mainly cos it was written as a non-professional venture), and absolutely everything else runs on Windows. Some members of staff have to have two or three computers just so they can run all the software they need.

Truth of he matter is, if there's certain software you have to use, if you're lucky you can get away with a Mac, if not you're lumbered with a 'doze box.

Your average home user could get away with never using M$ Office, instead opting for one of the open source alternatives, cos compatibility isn't an issue, since the chances are the files will remain on that machine only. In business though, thos files will be mailed all over the world, meaning compatibility IS an issue.

Which is a shame really; Linux is the only OS that is not architecture specific; IBM PC's run Linux, Macs run Linux, Nokia mobile phones run Linux, Google runs Linux, great big industrial rendering engines run Linux. It's not at all difficult to port version all over the place if you have access to the source code.

The reason M$ won't do this is that they KNOW that by keeping Office on Windows (and to a lesser extent Macs) they keep everyone in the "buy our OS, upgrade!" loop. If Office was made available on the Linux platforms ( and to an extent it is, with things like StarOffice and all the rest, but thanks to M$'s frequent changing of the API's there are still many compatability issues) then they know an awful lot of businesses would migrate to Linux as their OS of choice - it would save them a fortune in licensing and security updates, and very little in terms of retraining and M$ would lose a bunch of business, which is why they're currently doing everything in their power to spread FUD about OSS and trying to halt it's development (Re: trying to make Samba/NFS illegal, amongst other things).

Oooh look, recent Register headline: "MS exec argues for right to break rivals' software". I love it when they do that.

gekko
04-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Mac has almost all of the industrial programs. the entire design world revolves around Macs. Adobe's entire software lineup is PORTED to Windows. Macs got everything for graphic design, web design, movie editing, 3D, programming, etc.

Adobe's entire lineup, Macromedia's entire lineup, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro from Apple, Maya, Cinema 4D, Corel Bryce, QuarkXPress, LightWave, CodeWarrior, etc.

Windows has a few more in the 3D field, but that's it. Nothing you can't work around. And of course, that's also why business run both Mac and Windows. No one in their right mind does design work on Windows, but if you're into game design, you gotta switch over to Windows to use 3DS Max, unless you do it in Maya, which is highly possible, and can produce amazing results (weren't the Doom III guys designed using Maya?), but people don't want to learn, especially when they are looking at deadlines..

sdtPikachu
04-28-2002, 08:01 PM
The Mac has all the graphic apps simply because the chip architecture is so much more suited to graphical utilities, an area where wintel PC's are still very limited. A decent G4 will do 10 GFLOPS in Photoshop, whilst a decent PC will have difficulty doing 2. Obviously, this is in part due to Adobe specially optimising PS for the Mac, but Mac hardware leaves PC's far behind for apps like this.

The business apps I'm primarily talking about are the non-graphical ones that are the supposed mainstay of your average office (namely office) and all sorts of other nik-naks (there's all manner of modelling tools that, to my knowledge, onyl exist on the PC here). Sure. Macs have the graphical apps world sewn up, but that's still a small proportion of the total business computer market.

The reason I'm such a strong advocate of Linux is that with it the same program will run just the same on a Mac as it will on Windows. You name a computer, and chances are you can buy a Linux distribution for it. It'll let you plug a Mac into a PC, and they won't grumble at all, etc etc

Unfortunately, it gives people a choice, and M$ don't want that....

Cyrax9
04-29-2002, 10:21 PM
Pirated Software, maybe some extreml;y old DOS ames that were taken afetr M$ canceled them, and my Compy of Adobe Illustartor 8.0 is Legal, because my Uncle Gave me the Disc and Lisence key as well, which means It's not stolen at all. As far as Microsoft goes, the day people realize what they're doing to the world, maybe people wil stop buying M$ products. I just hope it's not to late. IF microsoft was a countr they'd be a Dictatorship and all freedom of speach would be crushed, they'd essentailly turn the world back to the time of WW2.

The name "The Evil Epire" really does suit them, because if they were in any "Star Wars" series, they would be the Imeprials, aka the"Empire".

May M$ burn in hell.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sdtPikachu
04-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Legal, because my Uncle Gave me the Disc and Lisence key as well, which means It's not stolen at all.

Well, it depends on the license, but most licenses these days are made only with the person who bought the software, and in fact many of the newer licenses leave out the human element altogether and make a contract with the computer instead. Most are not legally transferable.

For instance, that windows 98 CD you got with your old computer - you are not allowed to give this to anyone, even if you're not using it yourself.
Xp is even worse. You're not allowed to buy a new computer and install your own copy of XP on that - you must buy a new copy for each new computer. Hopefully you're not going to change the hardware configuration much either, cos XP sees this as evidence for the computer changing (particularly in the early builds - people would install new RAM and XP would tell them they had to buy a new copy of XP).

Just another facet to my paranoid theory that M$ is trying to set up their own "we own your computer" mentality in their customers in order so that they can take the hardware out of the home...

"May M$ burn in hell" - sweet, sweet words. If anyone is au fait with the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (http://wind.prohosting.com/~hircos/bm.htm) then they may just see more than one similarity betwen the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation and M$.
"Their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws". Hmm.

gekko
04-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Microsoft is a monopoly, and it can't be stopped without being brought down legally. Only problem is the court rulings do nothing to bring down Microsoft. I mean, splitting up Microsoft only makes for worse products, which they can't make decent ones as is, let's not hurt them. The problem is how they force companies into selling their OS on the computers. How they force users to use their browser.

The reason so many people, like yourselfs except for our Linux fans, don't switch to another OS is simply because Windows is a monopoly. You guys don't think Macs have enough games, so you stick with MS's ****. You don't think it has enough software, so you stick with MS. Now most of you could easily switch over to Mac, no problem. Linux might be more difficult, but the thing is you really sit there and bitch without changing things. Now most of you are stuck with what your parents purchase, but look at the general public.

Most of you guys could easily get by using a Mac. In fact, I garauntee if any of you ever used my Mac for a day, you wouldn't go back to Windows. But at the same time, most of you can learn to troubleshoot pretty easily, so if anything goes wrong (less likely on Macs, may I remind you), you can fix it, or call your local Mac guru up from your PC and figure it out. The general public doesn't have that option. The general public gets a CD-RW drive installed at Best Buy because they have trouble hooking up a few cords and installing the drivers. The general public can't have a PC that doesn't boot up and mess around with the BIOS settings to try to fix it. The general public must use Windows, because if they ever switch, they lose the local support. They would have to find a local Mac shop, which consists basically of Apple Stores, CompUSA, and various small shops you've never heard of.

See, the reason Microsoft has a monopoly is because the Windows users that can convert, aren't willing to convert, and the other users are not able to. It's like buying your first truck, but every car shop within 100 miles only worked on cars. You're almost forced into buying the product, and yes, that's a monopoly.

Now to all you fine fellows, convert already, damn! Need reasons to go to a Mac, start a new thread and I can write pages on a single subject. May I remind you, everything is easier on a Mac :D

manasecret
04-30-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Right before I get started I just have to say to the guy above me: 'Secret Of Mana Rules'...

Word. I noticed your previous avatar, which I think was some tiger enemy from SOM. Have you played Seiken Densetsu 3? I've had it on emulator for a long time, but for some reason I just never played much into it. I will eventually..

:bunny:

db

sdtPikachu
05-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by manasecret
Word.

OK then... how about "cabbages"? Or "defenestrate"? Or "circumlocution"? Or even "pleonasm"?

They're all very good words.

Is this "word" thing related to that "w00t" thing? I hate and detest therm both you understand, and wish to find out what they mean so I may mock you all the more.

Cyrax9
05-02-2002, 01:15 AM
Microsoft is a monopoly, and it can't be stopped without being brought down legally. Only problem is the court rulings do nothing to bring down Microsoft. I mean, splitting up Microsoft only makes for worse products, which they can't make decent ones as is, let's not hurt them. The problem is how they force companies into selling their OS on the computers. How they force users to use their browser.

The reason so many people, like yourselfs except for our Linux fans, don't switch to another OS is simply because Windows is a monopoly. You guys don't think Macs have enough games, so you stick with MS's ****. You don't think it has enough software, so you stick with MS. Now most of you could easily switch over to Mac, no problem. Linux might be more difficult, but the thing is you really sit there and bitch without changing things. Now most of you are stuck with what your parents purchase, but look at the general public.

Most of you guys could easily get by using a Mac. In fact, I garauntee if any of you ever used my Mac for a day, you wouldn't go back to Windows. But at the same time, most of you can learn to troubleshoot pretty easily, so if anything goes wrong (less likely on Macs, may I remind you), you can fix it, or call your local Mac guru up from your PC and figure it out. The general public doesn't have that option. The general public gets a CD-RW drive installed at Best Buy because they have trouble hooking up a few cords and installing the drivers. The general public can't have a PC that doesn't boot up and mess around with the BIOS settings to try to fix it. The general public must use Windows, because if they ever switch, they lose the local support. They would have to find a local Mac shop, which consists basically of Apple Stores, CompUSA, and various small shops you've never heard of.

See, the reason Microsoft has a monopoly is because the Windows users that can convert, aren't willing to convert, and the other users are not able to. It's like buying your first truck, but every car shop within 100 miles only worked on cars. You're almost forced into buying the product, and yes, that's a monopoly.

Now to all you fine fellows, convert already, damn! Need reasons to go to a Mac, start a new thread and I can write pages on a single subject. May I remind you, everything is easier on a Mac :D

Like I said M$'s gravy train ends here, I was able to "leeech" one last PC out of my dad, and I loaded it, while still leaving room for expansions. I'm running Windows ME, and while it's pretty good, at least my copy, Mac OS X makes it look like a pile of Dung. I was forced into Office XP, and I've made about 5 or 6 changes to the system, new DVD-ROM Drive, new MPEG-2 Decoder, a Video Capture Card, a USB Cable Modem, and a few programs that cnaged the system regisrty, mainly DirectX 8.1 because my DirectX 8.0a was courrupt.

So far Office XP still works, but it's the last MS office program I buy, I needed it for school, and that was the only reason I got it.

My next Computer will either be a Linux System or a Mac, I just wantto know which one has better DOS emulators and can play more games. If I can play a DOS Game that requires DOS 6.0, a Soundcard, joystick, mouse, and can simulate EMS and XMS memory, with some added perks I'll be fine for awhile, if it can play some Windows games with a plug-in as well, that's even better. I'm just sick of Microsoft, and chances are, in af ew years I'll build a Linux Computer, or I'll buy a Mac. As long as I can run my DOS stuff and some old games as well as new gamesa be it on a Mac, or with a plug-in in Linux I'll be fine. In three years I'll probably be looking for a new Computer, and it won't be a M$ system.

If I get a Mac, I know where to get it repaired, gekko, have you tried www.PCMall.com? They're an authorized Mac resellerand repair center, their's and apple store in Princeton near my doctors, so my Mac can get a Check-up at the same time as I do, and I like my friend's Mac much beter than my old PC. I originally wanted a MAc, but my dad wanted a M$ system, I was stuck with Windoze 3.1, now you know why I hate M$ even more. If Pika has any good DOS preograms for Linux, tell me if they're availibel int he US, and for how much? If their are any DOS programs for MAc OS X, please tel me their rpice and hwo well they stack upo against each other.

I refuse to lose my DOS games, and XP would cause that anyway, so it's now time for a Mac or Linux on my next PC. My brother will have a new Comp before me, and then my parent's wil get a new Comp, my dad will stick with Moronsoft, my brother might be smart enough to buy a Mac or a Linux system as long as it plays One Must Fall: Battlegrounds, I don't see a reason it shouldn't considering that if Diversions Entertainment was smart they'd make a Mac Version.

Now about that Adobe Illustrator Lisence Pika, considering the Box was never opened before I recived the Program, and my Uncle bought copies in bulk since he's a professional artist, I don't think it's much of a problem, I broke the seal on the box, not him, so the lisence wasn't even in use until I opened the Software's Box and Installed it on my PC.

As far as the Windows 98 CD goes, you are right to an extent, if you sell your Old PC though, you are legally alllowed to sell all software that game with the old PC, as long as it is sold with the P. YOu can't sel the PC to one person and Windows 98 to another, but if everytign is sold as it was originally shipped, it's a legal sale, at least the TOS that were placed into action earlier tis year say so. You can't install it on more than one PC either, but if you sell and old PC, you can sell everything that came with it, as long as you don't keep any copies of it. I gave away a 486 with Windows 3.1 and evrything that came with it, the manuals, the Disks, and the original boxes. That was legal because I no longer have any copies of those orignal programs, however if I were to take my Windows ME CD and Copy that to a new PC and then sell this one, it would be ilegal. I know about M$ Office XP, and I hate it with a passion because of Product activation. AS long as I can play my games that came out on or before 1999 on my next Computer 'l be hapy, if I can use a DOS emulator for Linux that's fine too.

Case and point, I'm not buying anything else labeled M$ unless I'm forced to doso for a job or college, and if I can get a Mac or LInux PC for College, than that's what I'm getting.

sdtPikachu
05-03-2002, 11:12 AM
If Pika has any good DOS preograms for Linux, tell me if they're availibel int he US, and for how much?

These are the droids you're looking for (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosemu/)

DOSEMU, like is says on the tin, is a DOS emulator for Linux. I've not used it myself (seeing as I started using computers full time oooh less than a year ago, I don't have much experience or need of DOS).

As far as cost goes - as indeed the cost of almostevery GNU/Linux program - zilch. Totally free. Just click on that link, download the source code, compile it, install it and bingo. Anything you see released under the GPL (Gnereal public license) will cost you nothing other than the price of the internet connection downloading it.

Remember you can run Linux on a mac if you want to. My friend had a G4 TiBook, and he's running SuSE 7.3 as well as OS X. Personally, I'd just ditch OS X (it has to be said I don't like it very much at all) but what the hell.

Main thing I don't like about MacOS (at least the ones I've tried) is that it's an opaque operating system, and you can't see what it's doing, and I adore Linux for it's total transparency - there's no such things as hidden anything. Some people however do have a problem with this, as well as it being at heart a command line OS, so there's not as many flashing buttons and whirly gizmos. But you can do whate er you want with it, and (if you know how to code) radically alter bits of it too. If you're interested in coding, Linux comes with a great set of dev tools, including lots of compilers and such. Not that I can code mind.

As far as running windows progs under Linux goes, there are several apps out there to take care of this for you, the most famous being WINE (I believe a recursive acronym for WINE Is Not an Emulator) - like in this screenshot (http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/scr/mdkwine.jpg). Some of them are quite good, but obviously there are still bugs. The nice thing about projects like WINE is that they tell you exactly what works and what doesn't. Most of the better emulators cost about $50, although I think WINE is still free (in any case, I've got it installed).

As far as the licensing goes, I wsa just joking really. I consider Adobe to be total bastards, so I don't really care about people pirating their stuff to their hearts content. Same goes for M$ too.

As far as people beig stupid with computers goes, I do my best to eductae people through all the meaningless and inexplicable jargon the industry invented in order to confuse people, with the hope that they actually get to kowe just what their computer can do/is doing- and hopefully abandon M$ in the process.

Cyrax9
05-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Like I said, this will be the last Machine to run anything M$ Based, and now that My happieness has been Confirmed for a Linux System, guess what I'll be looking at Next Year? ;) No I'm not going to cease using my Current PC, at least not for another three years, I just got it last August, and I'll Juice it to death before I "retire" it to a Secondary Machine, but when I do get a new PC, I'll be puttin most of it together myself if I'm able to help out well enough at building a PC from Scratch with factory-fresh components this summer at the Computer Camp I'm working at. I actually know alot of QBasic, some HTML (Mainly used for text-editing), LoGo (the language used for robots), and Visual Basic, unfortuantly it's M$ Visual Basic, and If the scool didn't didn't require it for me to learn C++ I would have avoideed it entirely. Next year I'll be getting lessons in C++ whichi is what I've wanted, so I'm hopeing to finally be able to use some of my Programming Knowledge.

Thanks for the Links Pika, I'll be ready to use them when the time is right, I've already decided that even though it's a "M$" USB intellimouse that's "injection-painted" Yellow and Costs $50 I'm going to buy it, just because it Matches my PC and dosen't have the word of the devil, "Microsoft" on it, but rather, a NIce Close-encounter's alien-head. THat's the only thing I don't like about Mac's, the Mice that they ship with usually! A one-Button mouse annoys me more than anything,espeically since it dosen't have a scroll-wheel, so if I bought a Mac I'd take Gekko's advice, and use my old M$ USB mouse just because I can't stand Control-click. I also need a "Back-Up" USB Mouse, but their will be no more M$ OS's bought by me, no more M$ office programs unless I am "forced" into using them for school in which case I'l have them pay for it, and as son as I'm done with it I'll Delete it, no more M$ Program variations availible on other systems, and most importantly, no M$ XBox! I wouldn't turn on the big "N" like that, andI would sooner buy a PS2 than an XBox.

Here's a message for Billy Gates: "I don't buy crap, I flush it! Remember that the next time you're putting Sewage in Boxes on store Shelves!"

I got this PC for several reasons one of them being to "milk my dad the cow" and get one last PC out of him, after that, it's fair game and I don't intendo for the letters "M" and "S" to be on any of my Software unless it's absolutly Nessecary.

manasecret
05-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu
OK then... how about "cabbages"? Or "defenestrate"? Or "circumlocution"? Or even "pleonasm"?

They're all very good words.

Yes they are very good words; whatever you want it to mean to you.

It means something specific to me, in a conversational, non-formal, non-anal style, and it got my point across. And obviously it annoyed you, so perhaps it was in good use.

Two other good words: "Lighten," "Up." Or are you going to be anal about the use of those words, too?

db

sdtPikachu
05-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Yes they are very good words; whatever you want it to mean to you.

It means something specific to me, in a conversational, non-formal, non-anal style, and it got my point across. And obviously it annoyed you, so perhaps it was in good use.

Two other good words: "Lighten," "Up." Or are you going to be anal about the use of those words, too?

That may be, but I don't see how by simply saying "word" you get your point across. If you could perhaps exlain what it means I may be a bit less sarky about the whole thing.

It's not that it annoys me, I just see it as totally pointless and therefore amusing.

"And obviously it annoyed you, so perhaps it was in good use."

So it's intended to annoy me? Well why didn't you say so?

manasecret
05-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sdtPikachu
That may be, but I don't see how by simply saying "word" you get your point across. If you could perhaps exlain what it means I may be a bit less sarky about the whole thing.

It's not that it annoys me, I just see it as totally pointless and therefore amusing.

It means "I think what you say is true" (that being what Ric said, "Secret of Mana Rules"). Or I guess literally it means "I think the words you used are true." But instead of sounding stupid and actually saying that, I just said Word. There is probably another way of saying what I meant without the slang and manage not to sound stiff, but sometimes I don't really want to think all too much; so a cliche of slang can be useful.

"And obviously it annoyed you, so perhaps it was in good use."

So it's intended to annoy me? Well why didn't you say so?

Perhaps it sounds as if I'm twisting my words around, but I used 'perhaps' purposely to mean that I didn't say Word to annoy you on purpose, but that perhaps it was a good effect anyway. Perhaps that will help, perhaps? :p

db

sdtPikachu
05-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Perhaps that will help, perhaps?

You used "perhaps" twice in that sentence. Word.

;)