PDA

View Full Version : Un F**KING believable

Professor S
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1163993546.html

This level of stupidity shown by a successful movie studio blows my mind.

Crash
11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I just posted this on my other site.

WHAT A CROCK.

if they don't use pj, it's going to be a HUGE bomb.... guaranteed.

Can it bomb as much as Narnia did? Most likely more so.

I bet the "other" prequel is the "similarian" (what is it called?)?

Professor S
11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Well technically Narnia didn't bomb; it made a pant-load of money cashing in on the Christian symbolism. Did Narnia suck on ice? Debateable, but I'm biased because the second that Rhino charged into battle at the end every flaw in the film disappeared. That moment made a childhood fantasy come true (I used to draw Rhinos fighting in battles like that).

I do agree, though, that the Hobbit will bomb if PJ is not at the helm if only for the extreme fan backlash that will suck any momentum from it. Peter Jackson became a household name and an instant legend from the LOTR films. If New Line thinks they can get by without his involvement they are foolish to say the least.

But honestly, after reading that letter and the mesage from New Line that inspired it, I chalk this up to gamesmanship on both sides. New Line wants a guaranteed smash hit if they are going to settle PJ's lawsuit, and PJ doesn't want to be pushed around by a studio.

Either way, this is an idiotic and futile move by New Line.

Crash
11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
hasn't ian mckellan (sp?) already signed on as gandolf for the hobbit?

Dylflon
11-21-2006, 02:38 AM
They'll need support from Ian Holm and Andy Serkis as well as McKellen. Switching actors would be unforgivable.

Professor S
11-21-2006, 08:36 AM
They'll need support from Ian Holm and Andy Serkis as well as McKellen. Switching actors would be unforgivable.

I don't think they'll use Ian Holm, if only because of his age (Holm is a brilliant actor). They'll go with someone a little younger who may be a bit more athletic considering some of the action sequences. I can forgive that, but not a replacement for Serkis.

The fact that he wasn't nominated for an academy award is awful. He should have at least been given some form of acknowledgement for his work.

Dylflon
11-22-2006, 02:54 AM
I don't think they'll use Ian Holm, if only because of his age (Holm is a brilliant actor). They'll go with someone a little younger who may be a bit more athletic considering some of the action sequences. I can forgive that, but not a replacement for Serkis.

Well, if you remember in the prologue part of Fellowship, Ian Holm plays a young Bilbo quite passably. I mean, if they can have cave trolls, and legions of orcs, they can make Ian Holm look young. I'd be sad if they didn't use him.

Professor S
11-22-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, if you remember in the prologue part of Fellowship, Ian Holm plays a young Bilbo quite passably. I mean, if they can have cave trolls, and legions of orcs, they can make Ian Holm look young. I'd be sad if they didn't use him.

You also have to remember that they filmed much of Holm's parts YEARS ago, I think even some in the late 90's (I think). But my concern isn't over making Holm look young, its about Holm being able to carry a film at his age that has several strenuous sequences.

He's just too old for the studio, I think. Just my opinion. We'll see what happens. I hope he can do it, I just doubt they will let him try.

Here's another actor I believe was passed up on because of age when he was perfect for the part: Gabriel Byrne as Constantine. He would have been perfect, but was just too old at the time.

Ric
11-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Ian Hols is as sprightly as a mouse. He is predominantly a theatre stage performer running around an dancing about all day. He would easily be able to cope despite his age. He has been fine in his more recent theatre performances in London.

They also made him look older in LOTR.

He should play Gandolf in the hobbit because chronologically in the history of the books he is a hundreds of years old wizard, far older than any hobbit, so he would age more slowly over time. He is described in pretty much the same way in the hobbit as one would percive him in LOTR. As Gandolf the Grey at least.

Dyne
11-27-2006, 04:33 PM
The owner of the rights gave NewLine the finger.

http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/picknews.cfm/42817/ZAENTZ_RINGS_IN_JACKSON_FOR_PREQUELS

Awesome.