PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!! EU GameCube price-cut!!

Angrist
04-22-2002, 06:21 AM
http://www.cube-europe.com/fullnews.cgi?newsid1019462129,72634,

22 April 2002 - Nintendo today announced that it’s ground breaking new console, NINTENDO GAMECUBE, will launch across Europe on May 3rd at a recommended retail price of 199 Euros, and is expected to retail in the UK at £129 UK pounds.

Oh my!! This is just great! After the XB price drop, now a GCN price drop! This will save me €50, almost enough for another game!

Smart Nintendo. I was afraid many people were going to buy an X-Box because it was just slightly more expensive than the GameCube. Now I'm sure a lot more people will think again about the GameCube!! :D:D

Oh yeah, an Aussi price drop as well: from $400 to $329! :D

fingersman
04-22-2002, 10:17 AM
DAMMIT WHEN ARE WE GONNA SEE A PRICE DROP??

*sigh*

Well I guess you guys over there deserve it because you had to wait so long for the systems...so I'm glad for you guys over there in Europe and my favourite Aussie. ( bobcat, your my fav cause you're the only one o know :p)
See now this is what I've been saying all a long........when you have three companies fighting for top postion , who wins ? the consumers. :D

BigJustinW
04-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Nintendo seems to be running from the competition... I think GCN would sell just as good at any price.

Shadow_Link
04-22-2002, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes: And I guess Microsoft should have just kept the price at £299?:rolleyes:

Nintendo are trying to be competitive, and offer gamers the best deal that is available at present.

And who really cares if Nintendo are running from the competition or not? This makes gamers happy.

BJW, I don't think it would have sold as good even if it was 'only' £40 more. This way, the gamers can buy one more game at launch (£39). I bet this price drop will boost pre-orders even further, just like the pice drop did for the Xbox.

BigJustinW
04-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
:rolleyes: And I guess Microsoft should have just kept the price at £299?:rolleyes:

Nintendo are trying to be competitive, and offer gamers the best deal that is available at present.

And who really cares if Nintendo are running from the competition or not? This makes gamers happy.

BJW, I don't think it would have sold as good even if it was 'only' £40 more. This way, the gamers can buy one more game at launch (£39). I bet this price drop will boost pre-orders even further, just like the pice drop did for the Xbox.

Well... I'm not saying that what they did is a bad thing.

If you look at how money hungry Nintendo is (Mem Card 59. Development fees) it makes me wonder why they would drop the price like that.

Gamecube, any way you look at it, has the price advantage. They should just test the waters with thier normal price, and if GCN does have problems competing drop it. But I don't see it having a problem if it's still the cheapest, so what difference will this make in sales?

If somebody isn't willing to spend $200 on a cube you think they are willing to spend $170 (american)? :rolleyes:

Perfect Stu
04-22-2002, 02:44 PM
It's quite simple. Nintendo saw what Microsoft did with their price drop, and since they wanted to have the Gamecube >that< much cheaper than the XBox, they lowered their price as well.

I'm just waiting for XBox and Gamecube to drop in price here in NA :mad:

Shadow_Link
04-22-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW

Well... I'm not saying that what they did is a bad thing.

If you look at how money hungry Nintendo is (Mem Card 59. Development fees) it makes me wonder why they would drop the price like that.

Gamecube, any way you look at it, has the price advantage. They should just test the waters with thier normal price, and if GCN does have problems competing drop it. But I don't see it having a problem if it's still the cheapest, so what difference will this make in sales?

If somebody isn't willing to spend $200 on a cube you think they are willing to spend $170 (american)? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Firstly, £40 is something like $60 :rolleyes: I am sure that more people would buy the Gc if it was $139 instead of $199 :rolleyes:

Even if it is the cheapest, making it 'that much more cheaper' would actually interest more buyers, believe it or not.

With your referrence to development fees, incase you didn't notice, Nintendo charges the least out of the three...

Angrist
04-22-2002, 04:36 PM
I agree with Stu here.

Before the crazy price drops, GCN was way cheaper than XB, so price was an important factor.
After M$ dropped the price, the difference wasn't that big, so people started to think about the XB again. After Nintendo dropped the price, people will realise how cheap the GCN is... it's that simple.

BigJustinW
04-22-2002, 04:37 PM

:rolleyes: Firstly, £40 is something like $60 :rolleyes: I am sure that more people would buy the Gc if it was $139 instead of $199 :rolleyes:

Even if it is the cheapest, making it 'that much more cheaper' would actually interest more buyers, believe it or not.

duh! (lets end it with that)

With your referrence to development fees, incase you didn't notice, Nintendo charges the least out of the three...

Uh, I was talking about Nintendo as a company in general... SNES, GCN, and N64...

Bond
04-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Angrist

Smart Nintendo. I was afraid many people were going to buy an X-Box because it was just slightly more expensive than the GameCube. Now I'm sure a lot more people will think again about the GameCube!! :D:D

Ah yes, Nintendo is so smart Angrist, wow. Maybe you should e-mail them telling them just how intelligent they are.

Angrist
04-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Bond

Ah yes, Nintendo is so smart Angrist, wow. Maybe you should e-mail them telling them just how intelligent they are. You think I should?? Good idea!!

Stop it Bond. So we didn't really agree in that XB EU launch topic, so what? Forget it, I did.

Jin
04-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
It's quite simple. Nintendo saw what Microsoft did with their price drop, and since they wanted to have the Gamecube >that< much cheaper than the XBox, they lowered their price as well.

I'm just waiting for XBox and Gamecube to drop in price here in NA :mad:

And what about the PS2? When's that going to drop here? It's taking so long.:(

Shadow_Link
04-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Jin

And what about the PS2? When's that going to drop here? It's taking so long.:(

... Are you telling me that the PS2 still costs $299 in America?

DeathsHand
04-22-2002, 07:02 PM

... Are you telling me that the PS2 still costs $299 in America?

Yep, and it's still sellin' good'n'fine.... which is why Sony hasn't dropped the price yet :p

BigJustinW
04-22-2002, 07:02 PM

... Are you telling me that the PS2 still costs $299 in America? yep

Shadow_Link
04-22-2002, 07:15 PM
God, and it's still going like a horse!

I just feel sorry for the people who have waited for the price to be cut...

I guess Sony will drop the price once they come out with that new, cheaper design.

BigJustinW
04-22-2002, 07:17 PM
God, and it's still going like a horse!

I just feel sorry for the people who have waited for the price to be cut...

I guess Sony will drop the price once they come out with that new, cheaper design.

New Cheaper Design?

BTW, Sony could probably be the first console manufacturer to have thier price stay the same for the first 2 years of it's lifespan (in the face of competition)

DeathsHand
04-22-2002, 07:21 PM

New Cheaper Design?

Methinks he thinks they're not dropping the price because it costs too much to make them....... methinks they're not dropping the price because it's still selling good, so there's no reason to... If Xbox or NGC has a pricedrop in the US... or their sales really pick up a lot and PS2's sales drop, then methinks they'd drop the price.. but that stuff's not happening, so they keep it where it is :D

GameKinG
04-22-2002, 07:58 PM
Nintendo seems to be running from the competition... I think GCN would sell just as good at any price.

And microsoft isnt a little afraid that a system thats already beating in sales is about to open up another market in europe and likely have much better sales there too? Just because they lower the price dose not mean they are running. They are making educated business decisions.

Xantar
04-22-2002, 09:14 PM
You know, companies like Nintendo have marketing departments. Now, the job of these marketing departments (aside from designing advertisements) is to gauge public reaction to things. How many people would buy at this price? What about this somewhat lower price? They are pretty good at it, too.

Nintendo's marketing has apparently decided that the GameCube will sell better if it's a certain amount of money cheaper than the Xbox, perhaps because otherwise Microsoft can start claiming "Sure, it's $50 more (or whatever), but you get a DVD player, broadband connection, hard drive and a CD player out of the box."

And Nintendo's marketing has apparently decided that the increase in sales that is likely to come from dropping the price of the GameCube is going to make up for incidental losses from selling below cost.

C.H
04-23-2002, 06:08 PM
FCUKIN HELL I DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING

Well thats certainly put a smile on my face, :)