PDA

View Full Version : Why capcom is with cube

GameKinG
04-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Well, you may have seen this but at xengamers they have a transcript of an interview between dengeki and capcom. Here are the highlights:

Dengeki: What's your impression of Nintendo's GameCube?

Okamoto-san: They have a good software lineup in development, but they haven't had a brand title like Mario to push hardware sales yet. I loved Pikmin but it's not in the same league with Mario.

Dengeki: The GameCube is selling well in America so far, your thoughts?

Okamoto-san: I think that's because Nintendo had a solid lineup ready for the American launch. In Japan, titles have been trickling out slowly.

Dengeki: Given that slow momentum in Japan, has Capcom decided to change their plans to support the GameCube?

Okamoto-san: No, we have no plans to make any changes. We're primarily a company that supplies software for consoles with an installed user base, and we realize that it may take longer than expected for us to sell a million copies of a GameCube title.

Dengeki: Capcom has an exclusive development agreement with Nintendo concerning the Biohazard series. What are your thoughts on that?

Okamoto-san: Ideally we'd like to release our titles simultaneously on all platforms. But each console has its strengths and weaknesses, so the market is becoming specialized. In the end, as a developer you have to choose the console which best suits your project. The PlayStation 2 has a large userbase but very limited RAM. The Xbox is a powerful console but it hasn't sold many units. So we chose the Gamecube because of its potential userbase and large RAM. For a series like Biohazard where you're constantly moving between rooms, the GameCube is ideal for making fast transitions.

Dengeki: We understand you have other GameCube projects in development besides Biohazard. Possibly games from other Capcom series?

Okamoto-san: Yes, but I can't go into details. [laughs..]

Dengeki: Do you have plans for any other GameCube exclusive titles?

Okamoto-san: Yes, we will release other games exclusively for the GameCube. In most cases they'll be titles which best suit the capabilities of the console, such as the RAM issue with the Biohazard series.

Dengeki: Do you have any plans to work with Nintendo directly on some of their series?

Okamoto-san: Yes, but I can't go into specifics as to what platform they will be released for - GameGube or GameBoy Advance.

Dengeki: If you could pick one, what Nintendo series would you like to work on?

Okamoto-san: Smash Brothers. [smiles..] I'd also like to try making a Zelda game but I doubt they'd let me. If we had done a cel-shaded Zelda, I think fans of the series would have been very angry. Only Nintendo can get away with making such drastic changes.

www.xengamers.com

Angrist
04-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I have a funny part of it in my sig.

Seems reasonable, they didn't choose the X-Box b/c it probably won't have a large user base (in Japan I suppose he means) and they didn't choose the PS2 b/c the hardware wasn't really fast.

Cool.

DeathsHand
04-19-2002, 03:52 PM
"For a series like Biohazard where you're constantly moving between rooms, the GameCube is ideal for making fast transitions."

Fast transitions? They still have those door scenes in the game where you hit the action button to open the door, and it switches to a different scene where it just shows the door and it opens kinda slow and then cuts back to the game... not really a "fast transition"... :D

But I can see what he's getting at :p

GameKinG
04-19-2002, 06:53 PM
Oviously hes talking about faster load times.

Joeiss
04-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by GameKinG

Haha... Agreed. However, his wording is a bit confusing.

Idiot
04-20-2002, 07:33 AM
Street Fighter.... Street Fighter..... Street Fighter.... please God may they return to the 2D days of Street Fighter......

DeathsHand
04-20-2002, 12:15 PM

well yeah, and it has to load the next room while it's showing that door scene :sneaky: :D

but yeah there are other forms of loading... cutscene stuff for example I think maybe... the IGN guys said that even on gamecube sometimes the cutscenes get a bit jumpy when they switch around from angle to angle (background to background) too much... I wonder what that would be like on PS2.. even though PS2 wouldn't even get those graphics... :p

Bond
04-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Does anyone feel like Capcom's statements are money feed?

GameKinG
04-20-2002, 09:14 PM
I dont think there are cut scenes between them, I think it you just open the door by pressing the action and your there.

DeathsHand
04-20-2002, 09:24 PM
I dont think there are cut scenes between them, I think it you just open the door by pressing the action and your there.

Nope, I'm pretty sure IGN said there were still those door opening scenes... BUT there are no stair walking up scenes... you just walk up the stairs and such...

I think they should have just made all the doors 3D or something... So instead of switching to a different door opening scene, the character just opens the door and then there is a short transition like in ED...

although I dunno, maybe they need a little bit of extra time that the door animation screens add because the pre-rendered backgrounds take a little while longer to load then saaay the backgrounds in ED... :confused:

Edit: :p muwahahaha

Jin
04-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Nope, once you open a door it doesn't all of the sudden bring you to the next room. Like DH said, after you open a door, it shows a door the size of the screen opening, and then you see the next room. At least in the Japanese version it's that way, and I doubt they would change it in the American version.

EDIT: I was only a few seconds away from responding first, DH... you suck.;)

Gamer
04-20-2002, 09:35 PM
oh, Capcom, how i love you...*looks at watch* well party time, see ya'll later.:D