PDA

View Full Version : GameCube: Potential

Revival
01-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Do you think the GameCube has lived up to it's potential so far?

BlueFire
01-21-2002, 12:50 PM
Um given the little time that GameCube has been out, no...give it sometime.

Revival
01-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by BLueFire
Um given the little time that GameCube has been out, no...give it sometime.
I said so far.. as in to this day, has the :GameCube: reached it's potential?

I'm not talking months in the future or anything - it's not - present.

DeathsHand
01-21-2002, 01:58 PM
I dunno what to say... on one hand, it is pretty slow when it comes to good games... on the other hand, most consoles are pretty slow when it comes to good games right around the time they are released :D

But I don't see why there couldn't have been a few more good games released more frequently then how it's been going, so I'll just say no :sneaky:

Although it will get better in the future... although even like Xmas 2002, I don't see it doing what PS2 pulled off Xmas 2001... with like multiple good games being released every week or sometimes every other week for a couple months... :p

Revival
01-21-2002, 02:00 PM
My vote was HELL NO!

The GameCube is nothing like I think it should be - there are a few games out there, but Nintendo and the developers had enough time to crank out a few more good ones before and right after the release of the console.

GameKinG
01-21-2002, 02:25 PM
I dont quite understand. Its peotential is what gamecube can do at its best, and all areas of gamecube games can be and will be better as the years progress.

Revival
01-21-2002, 03:01 PM
Once again , I'm not talking about years from now - I'm talking about now.

Let me try to rephrase my original question:

From the :GameCube:'s release to this current month (January 2002), has the :GameCube: lived up to it's potential? In other words, has it been everything that it can be?

Shadow Fox
01-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Shooter
Once again , I'm not talking about years from now - I'm talking about now.

Let me try to rephrase my original question:

From the :GameCube:'s release to this current month (January 2002), has the :GameCube: lived up to it's potential? In other words, has it been everything that it can be? GameCube was designed to be a pure game machine for the next generation of games. The next generation of games are here, and they are playable on the GameCube.

So to answer your question, yes, it has lived up to it's potential; ever since the first playable unit was tested...:rolleyes:

GameKinG
01-21-2002, 07:37 PM
I guess so...

Perfect Stu
01-21-2002, 07:54 PM
No :mad2:

Where are all the great Nintendo games?

BigJustinW
01-21-2002, 11:44 PM
My Vote: HELLLLLL NO

It didn't live up to what it could have been, Game quality wise and hardware quality wise.

Take the 4mb Memory cards for example, it didn't help, and it could have been MUCH better.

As far as games:

1) Nintendo should have tried as hard as Microsoft for 3rd parties... it could have had much better support

2) Instead of Shiggy putting a lot of effort into crap like Luigi's Mansion, they could have made Mario (or somthing better) as a launch game.

As it stands, for now, I think Gamecube had a LOT of potential to be an out right better system than Xbox, without any questions... but Nintendo didn't as much as attempt to do that, now in casual gamers head there is a question.

N64 had a 50Million userbase, and Gamecube had a price advantage, if Nintedo would have put more effort in the above areas, there would be no way in hell that XBox would have outsold the Cube last year.

I don't even want to talk about the advertizing campaing, Cube Clubs didn't work, and had no effect on over 99% of the country... They should have used McDonalds or somthing.

fingersman
01-22-2002, 07:26 AM
Naw ..at presently no......GC ain't all it could be right now.....I think the same could go for Xbox....but this thread didn't as about that so it's not important.:D

But in my opinion Nintendo could be doing a lot better ..they had the time to do it......I mean hardly any first party games where made near the end of the N64 life.....so I would have assumed they used that time to develope games and stuff...that why I thought Nintendo would have come out with it's guns blazing . ( and sorta of dominate Microsoft when they came out) but like BJ said Nintendo could have done a lot better.

And not having Mario at launch could be looked upon in two ways.

The bad way:
This leaves the Gamecube without a killer app...plus if they wanted to really get the consoles into homes this would have helped tremendously.

The good way:
Well now everyone has something to look forward to ...Zelda and Mario( although I doubt that Zelda and Mario will launch the same time ) :unsure: but then again if Mario was a launch title peeps would still have Zelda to look forward to.

Well I hope by the end of the year ......that this opinion of mine changes. :D

Revival
01-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Yay! People are finally getting it!

Joeiss
01-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Hell no!

No Mario at launch
Lack of GOOD third party games
Crappy controller (IMO)
And Nintendo let too many rumours go around... I am still waiting for that suprise launch title. :(

N8
01-22-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
Crappy controller (IMO)

Your opinion is WRONG!

die!
:p

You must have deformed hands or something; I love it.

Shadow Fox
01-22-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Joeiss
Hell no!

No Mario at launch
Lack of GOOD third party games
Crappy controller (IMO)
And Nintendo let too many rumours go around... I am still waiting for that suprise launch title. :( I believe the "suprise launch title" was indeed Pikmin, seeing as every other title had been announced prior to E3 when the rumors started flying. But of course Nintendo wouldn't hamper it's own sales by putting out two potential blockbusters, so December it was...

Gamer
01-23-2002, 12:18 AM
Hmm, well i think it has come really close, i think it will very soon, like in 2002 i think it will pass my thought of its "potential"