PDA

View Full Version : Xbox = Boo! Xbox today = Yum

gekko
04-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Got my Jap controller today. Damn it's a lot better!!! It actually fits in your hand confortably, and the buttons are easily within reach. Having the buttons lineup in the normal way is great, since it's much more normal. The d-pad can actually be pressed like a d-pad. The only thing is the shoulder buttons are a lot more loose compared to the other one. In some ways I like it, in others, I kinda like the strong springs.

Either way, the games are actually playable now. Finally I get a chance to play JSRF :D

Bottom line, when the Controller S(hit... kidding) comes out in 20 days... BUY BUY BUY!!! Your hands will thank you, and it pays for itself with all the money you save on pain medication.

Perfect Stu
04-10-2002, 07:58 PM
When I get an XBox...well, if I get an XBox, which I most likely will eventually, I will most definately get this kind of controller...

Joeiss
04-10-2002, 08:53 PM
This controller looks really, really nice. I hope that it will be on display at EB or Zellers so I can get my hands on it! How do the Black and White buttons feel on this controller? Does it make a better or worse difference? Please tell me, your input will be gratefully taken... Yeah.

Professor S
04-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Gekko, you must have some TINY hands if you couldn't play with the XBox controller at all...

But I can the the controller being a problem for games that require intricate button and stick control like JSRF and THPS3, but I think its PERFECT for FPS games and probably average for everything else like platformers (BO2) and the like.

BigJustinW
04-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler
Gekko, you must have some TINY hands if you couldn't play with the XBox controller at all...

CamFu used to say it all the time :p

gekko
04-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by The Strangler

But I can the the controller being a problem for games that require intricate button and stick control like JSRF and THPS3, but I think its PERFECT for FPS games and probably average for everything else like platformers (BO2) and the like.

I could play with it, the controller is just ****. Way too clunky, buttons are in bad positions, arranged poorly, handles are too fat, controller is too heavy.

Microsoft claims to have asked gamers what they wanted. Seems they finally listened with the new controller. Handles are still fat, but they fit in your hand much better. The buttons are arranged in the proper pattern, and the controller is smaller and it's all confortably within reach. The 2nd stick is not domed anymore, but shaped like the left stick. The D-pad isn't a circled pile of **** like the old one, it's actually possible to hit the right directions. The B&W buttons are not hard to reach, but you can tell they're not made as action buttons. They're out of the way, under your thumb, but still easily reachable. Of course, they're meant to be used to toggle things, and to operate the headset thingie, so if they're hard to use for fighting games, well, they were never meant for action buttons. They are supposed to be toggle buttons, like the Z button on the GC controller.

The controller wouldn't make it play any worse for FPS or anything, it's like now a decent controller, and makes the Xbox a system worthy of $340 (gotta add the controller price).

Professor S
04-11-2002, 11:54 PM
Well, in counterpoint, I know MANY who like and PREFER the XBox controller, as I do. I find many of the other controllers out there to be too small (see: Gamecube controller). But once again, this is merely a matter of opinion.

I was under the impression that you stated earlier that you couldn't use the XBox controller at all. That is why I made the comment that your hands must be tiny.

I understand that many might find the XBox controllewr too big, but unplayable is another thing all together.

Perfect Stu
04-12-2002, 10:27 AM
My hands are plenty big, but I don't like the XBox controller at all. The 4 main buttons are horrible to push..they're too small and they're bunched up...plus the handles ARE too fat, and I don't like the D-Pad. The shoulder buttons ARE good, however, as well as the analog stick. Plus the overall controller isn't TOO too big, like I said, it's just too fat.

Unplayable: nope
Bad: yep

BigJustinW
04-12-2002, 11:49 AM
To me, it depens on what Game I'm playing.

Any Ps2 ports I can't play on Xbox's controller... especially if I have already got used to the Ps2 version of the game.

But Xbox exclusive games feel great with that Controller, especially that Fighting game called DOA3.

Professor S
04-12-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm definitely going to give the new smaller controller a shot, especially since the handle portion is still decently large, which I like. Plus, the black and white buttons look a lot more convenient blow the main buttons.

I still love the original XBox controller though, but it did take a little to get used to.