PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know these games??

Angrist
04-07-2002, 03:26 PM
They are old shareware games, but I loved them. They're probably about 5 or 6 years old.

The Horde
A game where you run and protect a small village. It grows bigger every season, you can plant trees and set traps. At the end of the season, a Horde of red monsters appears and wants to destroy your crops and houses. It's your task to kill those critters.
Later in the game you can also buy cows and soldiers.

Solar
A great space flying shoot-em-up with top-view. You control a starship that looks a bit like an X-Wing, and have to perform certain tasks to gain new items (like a hyperdrive or a cloaking device). You travel from planet to planet and from solar system to solar system and meet cool characters.

Of both games I played the shareware version, so after a while the games and told me to buy the retail version for $50.

By now they should have become freeware or something. Does anyone know these games??? Thanks very much!

Old Skool
04-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Yea i know the game the "The Horde" played it alot when it first came out but i had the full version with the videos.

Angrist
04-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Cool! Do you know how I could get the game??? I mean, could you perhaps upload it if it isn't too big????

Cyrax9
04-09-2002, 11:14 PM
I think I've seen Soloar, but I don't have it, my Favorite Freeware game is "One Must Fall 2097", it's a DOS Game, but a new sequel is coming out called OMF: Battlegrounds. If you like "Giant Robot" 2-D fighting games, DL this game, I got it swhen it was new for about $30.00 dolars on CD-ROM.

Now if Anyone can find some other DOS games that have become freeware and work with windows, Let me know ASAP, I only wish I could find some of the old "platform" style games as freeware, an old favorite is Cyrstal Caves.

Bube
04-10-2002, 07:09 AM
Here's (http://www.anet.com.tr/ftp_arama.asp?ftypeA=A) a Turkish website with a ton of abandonware games. Like I said, it's a Turkish site, but you can browse the games using the letters at the top.
There also maybe problems wtih the games. I only downloaded Wolfenstein 3D, and it worked.

Angrist
04-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Hey, great find Bube!!! Thanks!!! I'm downloading The Horde now! :D

Cyrax9
04-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Angrist, give "One Must Fall: 2097" a try, the producers of the game were going to abandon it, but due to popular demand, it was turned into freeware, which means you don't get any help with it, but it's still fun.

If you want the website to get it from,let me know. It's not shareware, it's the full version, but since the company declared it freeware because it was outdated, and they had stopped producing it, if you have a good net connection you can download the whole thing legaly for free. I had to pay when I got it,because it wasn't freeware at the time. It's a DOS game but it works in Windows ME most of the time, and works fperfectly in Windows 95/98, I don't think it works in WindowsXP though, but you can always try it. The Website for the game's sequel has the freeware version of OMF:2097, if I can't link you the site, I know some one on this board who can.

Finally one tip should give you, if your computer has a normal speed, such as 300MHz, which is slow by today's standards, turn the game speed down, or it will be to fast to play, I have to do thispon all of my PC's.

Angrist
04-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Ok, I'll try that OMF:2097.

I think we've got a celeron 800 Mhz or something (we just got a new motherboard).

Do I really have to play these games in MS-DOS?? I mean, I don't feel like booting up my PC in DOS just to play a simple game... isn't there a way to play it in Windows???

Cyrax9
04-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Ok, the OMF Website is http://www.OMF.com , and the game can be played through windows, I reccomend DLing it to a My documents folder, and making a shortcut on the desktop to find it easily, One word of caution, Don't use the multiplayer setup, or the game crashes, if you don't knwo what kind of soundcar you have, just select "no ound", or pplay with the settings like I did on my Old PC, and finally, make sure you turn down the Game speed, it was tooo fast on a 500MHz Celeron proccessor, to get a good speed, I drop it t0o about two notches from nothing. THe game is similar to MK, but wioth more of a Sci-Fi Storyline, and is less of a horror game. You can run it through windows despite what it says, however it dosen't like it sometimes, and kicks you out of the game, but I've fixed that probelm. Also don't use a Joystick, they don't work on Windows PC's anymore, which is too bad.

If you want an interesting cheat code, keep your Speed up, and hold down the leters "B,I,G", and a number 1-9, if you hit 9, you'll see a bunch of sparks and parts fly off of your opponent., but thei just junk. That code dosen't work on dsome monitors, but it works on my NEC Flat CRT, and it weorked on my old 486, so I'd just try it. Also I think if you hit F10 before you lose in tournament mode you can quit the game, without having a score counted against you. Their are more secrets, but I'll let you find them.

Angrist
05-08-2007, 03:33 AM
A while ago I discovered that the second game I meant was called "Solar Winds". I replayed it, up to the point where I realized how boring it is. :D