PDA

View Full Version : Give Us The Bird (No, we meant the controller)...

GameMaster
04-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Nintendo's Wavebird is now in final form and has even been tested by the guys at IGN. Read on to see what they had to say...

Derived from IGNCUBE...

Give Us the Bird
Our blowout impressions of the wireless Wave Bird controller (w/ pictures).

April 04, 2002 - At Nintendo's recent Gamers Day Summit in Seattle, Washington, editors on hand were treated to the finalized version of the Wave Bird wireless GameCube controller -- fully working, fully playable, and rearing to hit the market. The device, which will retail in the US for $39.95 beginning June 24, performed exceptionally well. Our impressions, below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wave Bird is Nintendo's long-touted wireless GameCube controller, capable of working at distances up to 10 meters, or 30 feet. The device transmits RF signals over more than a dozen selectable channels to a receiver plug that fits into one of the controller slots on a GameCube console. The RF standard enables the wireless connection to stand true -- even under the covers or behind a wall. And because of the different channel frequencies, it's even possible to hook four Wave Birds up to a single machine, enabling a totally cordless multiplayer experience. It's just that simple.

Or is it? The Wave Bird isn't exactly the first wireless controller ever conceived. Several have shipped in the past for other platforms courtesy of third-party hardware manufacturers, and they've all shared one major thing in common: unreliability. The signals have for one reason or another always proven unstable, working the best at closer ranges, but never performing to the standards of a corded controller. But Nintendo's controller, thank the stars and the heavens, does not fall into the same category -- it has been put to the test at near and far ranges, and it has passed without flaw. Perhaps this is the Nintendo Difference in motion.

Size Doesn't Matter

The Wave Bird controller is nearly identical in size to the standard GameCube one, except for a slightly extended lower end, a necessity for battery storage. Surprisingly, the two controllers weigh about the same too. After playing with the device for a few minutes, in fact, one may actually forget that they are not using the corded controller. It fits -- like the original controller, wonderfully snug. The only difference in feeling, of course, is that the Wave Bird doesn't feature a rumble option as the controller does not have the ability to receive signals from the GameCube, only send them. The omission of the rumbling is, however, not a terrible one -- it's just not an important sensation to the gaming experience.

Ready for some wireless fun
What's Changed?

There are a few differences with the latest revision of the GameCube controller. The biggest is that it no longer features a 'quick' button -- a function designed for fast-trigger gaming, according to Nintendo. Either the company figured out a way around the battery-zapping feature, or simply decided that it was ultimately not worth the drain on power. In its place is an orange LED that lights up when the controllers signal is being used, a handy way to test the connection. Switching channels is as easy as rotating a dial on the lower end of the controller, which works to absolutely eliminate interference from other connected Wave Birds. Beyond everything else, the controller now appears to be the standard gray, as has been seen for years on Nintendo 64 controllers. It's somewhat dull, not nearly as flashy as the silver prototype, but we'll live, and once you play with the device we imagine you will too.

Nintendo's Demo

Obviously proud of the device, Nintendo showed us one demonstration of the Wave Bird's functionality at different distances. It began by proving that it worked quite triumphantly from short distances of a couple feet, but also amazed us by hooking up a Wave Bird to a GCN perhaps 35-40 feet away, and behind a wall -- it worked without a single stutter. Of course, the company doesn't recommend using its wireless controller from distances so far, but the mere fact that it's possible is a testament to the reliability of closer range cordless play.

Playing Around

We played with Wave Bird for more than five hours, testing the controller with the latest version of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, a title that will incidentally ship on the same day as Nintendo's wireless controller. It performed perfectly, from various distances. Initially, Eternal Darkness was running with a regular controller. We paused the game, plugged in the Wave Bird receiver and turned on the controller -- it worked. Easy and intuitive, just the way we like it. From there, we had a go with the game, running around, flipping through menus, casting spells and generally trying to test the reactions of fast movements. Wave Bird got the trick done without a hitch, delivering fast response times, no lag, no stutters and no broken connections.
*We attempted the same experiment from a distance of perhaps 15 feet. All of the same tests were executed with exactly the same results -- flawless performance. Interestingly, some less informed members of the press who had obviously never heard of or seen Wave Bird in action kept looking for the wires that connected the controller to the console. This was amusing. These same people, when walking in front of us, could be seen checking the flooring for wires, as to not trip over them. It was refreshing, for them we imagine and certainly for us, not to worry about such wires, or the accidentals that are commonplace with them.

Overall

Overall our first real play time with the Wave Bird convinced us that, barring any possible battery power consumption drawbacks, this is the best controller to own, period. The feeling of the GameCube controller, our personal favorite across all next-generation consoles, remains unchanged -- snug and well suited to the hands. But now there is the added benefit of no wires, no worry of the family dog chewing away the cords to a controller, no worry of one's little brother tripping over the wiring and breaking something. And because the RF signal works from a distance of 30 feet, sometimes more, gamers can sit and play wherever it is they feel most comfortable without worry of the wire reaching. At only $39.95 -- a few bucks more than the regular controller, Wave Bird scores big. Come June 24, there's only one way to play Eternal Darkness as far as we're concerned -- wireless.

Sounds great! Can't wait to get one! To see the pictures click here (http://cube.ign.com/articles/356/356754p1.html)

What do you guys have to say?

DeathsHand
04-05-2002, 02:01 AM
I don't need wireless, it costs 5 bucks more, it needs batteries and has no rumble... I think that pretty much sums up wether or not I'll be getting it ;)

Although I guess it sounds neat for certain situations... or something... :unsure:

But for me, mah gamecube is like 2 feet to my left right now....... and this is where I play it from soooo............. and then down in the living room which I sometimes play it at.... all the chairs are close enough... and we don't have any little kids or blind people in this family............................... ..................................

yeah...

Ric
04-05-2002, 10:17 AM
When I finally own a gamecube I will have to get one of these methinks, I dunno, I suppose its just the novelty that attracts me really, 'Oh look, a radio controller' still I will get one just to make the comparison myself and because I hate wires.

~VIN~
04-06-2002, 09:43 PM
I might get one if I want to fork out the dough.

newname
04-06-2002, 11:19 PM
no rumble? i cant believe they didnt include rumble. oh well jus wont get it.

Night Stormer
04-07-2002, 01:42 AM
I'll prolly get one, just cuz the wires been botherin me lately and it looks neat.... but only one.... i'm the only one in my family that plays it anyways.

SilverBucket
04-07-2002, 03:58 AM
I'll hopefully get one the day it comes out, along with ED and one of those new bigger memory cards. That is, of course, that i acquire the money to buy it all. The bird should be really handy for my room, cause i'm kinda sick of sitting at the edge of my bed to play games. I want to lay down, or at least lean back. But then i'll need a bigger TV to be able to see, and that requires even more money...um, can anyone lend me like $500? :confused:

newname
04-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Night Stormer
I'll prolly get one, just cuz the wires been botherin me lately and it looks neat.... but only one.... i'm the only one in my family that plays it anyways.

ur totally right. u have that problem too (when the controller is hooked into the system its mad hard to ravel it up and such. how could i forget about that. im definetely getting the bird for that sole purpose. man that **** is annoying. do u other people in here have the same problem. if anyone has fixed that problem could u please tell me how.

Night Stormer
04-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by lEatHErFaCe69

ur totally right. u have that problem too (when the controller is hooked into the system its mad hard to ravel it up and such. how could i forget about that. im definetely getting the bird for that sole purpose. man that **** is annoying. do u other people in here have the same problem. if anyone has fixed that problem could u please tell me how.

I KNOW! I KNOW! Get one of those sweet @ss wavebird thingys! Those look totally rad! ;)

newname
04-08-2002, 04:02 PM
good, i thought i was the only 1 with the problem the whole time. someone has to think of a way to put an end to it even tho im gonna get the bird anyway. im surprised no1 ever brought this up before till now. i always found it to be extremely annoying.

DeathsHand
04-08-2002, 04:45 PM
Raveling up controller cord things when it's plugged into the system... ? :confused:

Revival
04-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Who the hell does that? I just put the controller next to the system and throw all the extra slack in with it and close the door in my entertainment center. Who the hell winds up the cords? ;)

newname
04-08-2002, 05:27 PM
i do silly, thats what makes me different than all you normal people.:p

besides i find it easier to come into my room put in a game and turn on the system and play it(or jus put it on if a game is already in there). it saves time and is perfect for lazy people like me, maybe some of u should try it some time it works pretty nicely actually.:D

thelittlebigguy
04-08-2002, 07:00 PM
I might get one, even though I have 4 controllers. It will really be a big help because the cords are stretched tight and sometimes unplug if you jerk on them at all.

newname
04-08-2002, 07:08 PM
that there is the cause of what can happen when u try to fix the ravveling problem.

marionette
04-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GameMaster

It began by proving that it worked quite triumphantly from short distances of a couple feet, but also amazed us by hooking up a Wave Bird to a GCN perhaps 35-40 feet away, and behind a wall -- it worked without a single stutter.

i think that's pretty neat how you can go behind a wall and stuff, and still have it work. but i dont know how the hell you're supposed to play if you're standing behind a wall. i agree with what DH said..and i dont really like that it has no rumble..but i can live with out rumble. i dont see the need for one, on the regular controllers, the cords dont get in my way or nothing...anyways i'm not getting one, but my brother is.

GameKinG
04-08-2002, 09:09 PM
I have a big problem with cords comming out. A good thing the gamecube will just pause until you put it back in.