PDA

View Full Version : ED Comparison: N64 shot to new Gamecube shot (same room)

thatmariolover
04-02-2002, 06:31 PM
N64 Room:

http://n64media.ign.com/media/news/newimages/eternal/eternalgoodnesss3.jpg

Gamecube Room:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/vgnews/040202/ed/ed_screen022.jpg

Looks to me like they've come quite a long way. What do you think? They take place during the same time period - I think. But the person in the GC version is who you actually play as. The Knight Templar (featured in the N64 shot) was a fake character. He will not actually be in the final game. The book in the center was there in the N64 pic because they replaced the bones so as not to give anything away (although I don't see what we'd deduce from some bones). Anyways, interesting. Looks like they've made some real strides. Especially in lighting.

BigJustinW
04-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Well, IMO the Gamecube version doesn't look that much better... it's like it's a port. (which it is in a way)

thatmariolover
04-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW
Well, IMO the Gamecube version doesn't look that much better... it's like it's a port. (which it is in a way)

No. It's not a port. It's an entirely new game. The code was written from scratch, the models were made from scratch. Everything done from scratch. Therefore, it is not a port.

And two points I'd like to mention.

1. The N64 version had awesome graphics. So that's one thing that should be noted.

2. The Gamecube version does look a lot better. The polygon level is WAY up there now. Not to mention the lighting and the texturing is far more detailed.

Ginkasa
04-02-2002, 06:38 PM
Of course it would improve. Its going from the N64 to the GCN.

Although I agree it didn't improve that much....

BigJustinW
04-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Well, I didn't look at the lighting... so I guess it has improved a lot...

buut... for some reason the N64 one looks great because it's up with the best N64 graphics I've ever seen... while the Cube version looks below average (expectations) for a Cube game.

DeathsHand
04-02-2002, 06:53 PM
I don't think it's improved TOO much, although I guess the lighting is the biggest thing...

I kinda like the way the room looked in the N64 version better though... darker... and stuff...

jeepnut
04-02-2002, 07:46 PM
The person and the table/canopy thing in the room look a lot better. However, I personally think the background on the N64 version looks a lot better than the cube one.

Gamer
04-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BigJustinW

I dont think it looks all that great either, i think they could do a much better job.

thatmariolover
04-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Well I'm not disappointed.

I guess maybe some of you don't know what you're looking at when you see that lighting. It's radiosity lighting. Round lighting which bounces off objects in realtime. This is the first time radiosity lighting has been used in a game. Now granted, most of it's pre-rendered lighting, it reacts to it in real time.

The textures on the walls in back are much cleaner on the Gamecube version. The N64 one is pixelated if you look closely. The polygons... I really need not comment on them. Just look.

DeathsHand
04-03-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by thatmariolover
I guess maybe some of you don't know what you're looking at when you see that lighting. It's radiosity lighting. Round lighting which bounces off objects in realtime. This is the first time radiosity lighting has been used in a game. Now granted, most of it's pre-rendered lighting, it reacts to it in real time.

Ummm.... wow? Now will most people actually notice that when they are playing the game, or would they have been just as happy with lighting that's as good as I dunno... Baldur's gate dark alliance... Metal Gear Solid... Sorry I havn't played many NGC games :p... Luigi's Mansion? :unsure:

anyways...

But yes, it is better than the N64 one...

As for the walls... they do look a bit more pixled, but it gives the walls kind of a "rougher" look and also a bit more "crisp" and "dark" so "IMO" the walls look better "Style-wise" in the N64 picture even if it only "looks" that way because of "worse graphics"...

:sneaky:

buh bye

Angrist
04-03-2002, 12:36 AM
The graphics of both games are gorgeous.

But I don't think they kicked out the knight. Perhaps they combined an Egyptian room with the knight so they didn't have to show another character. :confused:

Edit: after reading DH's article on PGC... forget that second part.

DeathsHand
04-03-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
The graphics of both games are gorgeous.

But I don't think they kicked out the knight. Perhaps they combined an Egyptian room with the knight so they didn't have to show another character. :confused:

Nope, various places have already confirmed that they made the guy up completely instead of using one of the game's actual characters...

I think :unsure:

Kinda neat if ya ask me... it would be even neater (is that a word? :p) if they made him a HIDDEN character... like somewhere deep in the game that's very hard to find, you come across his story :burger:

Or whatever :unsure:

Angrist
04-03-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand

Nope, various places have already confirmed that they made the guy up completely instead of using one of the game's actual characters...

I think :unsure:

Kinda neat if ya ask me... it would be even neater (is that a word? :p) if they made him a HIDDEN character... like somewhere deep in the game that's very hard to find, you come across his story :burger:

Or whatever :unsure: Don't you ever read edits? :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah that would be cool, hidden character... :D

Angrist
04-03-2002, 12:52 AM
Now that I think of it... it's gotta be a late april fool joke. So I stick with my first statement thingy.

Edit: I just read that some Game Summit thing just ended??? Oh well, guess it wasn't april fool after all... :(

Gambit_X
04-03-2002, 08:01 AM
You guys have to see the movies to really appreciate how beautiful the game really is. I wish they'd release some new movies... but GOD it looks good in motion!

Shadow_Link
04-03-2002, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with Gambit here. The pictures for the Gc version just don't do the game any justice, it must be down to the capturing methods, I don't know, it just looks tons better in video form! And that is where you can appreicate the lighting, textures etc..

BigJustinW
04-03-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, even looking at the older shots of ED for GCN, I say it's still a pretty ulgy looking game to be for a next gen console.

ED for N64 looks great to be a last gen game...

Sly_Fox
04-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Personally, I think that the character model in the GC version looks a bit too "unfinished." Other than that, the rest of the room looks like something similar to something from Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on the N64.....it will probably look better by launch.

Blix
04-04-2002, 04:05 PM
IMO, it looks good. Aslo, i'd like to second what DH said. It doesn't matter if it's radiosity lighting, it's not like I'll notice it when I'm playing it.

quiet mike
04-05-2002, 05:51 PM
People we talked soo much as how we don't care of graphics and that we want fun and good stories. Well we have here a game with a story that people talk to be epic, like never before etc. Now even if that's all bull, it's still got to be the best story game ever out of all the Nintendo games.

Plus reports say that everything in the game is conected, even graphics, so they use less polygons in some cases and real-time cut scenes, and in another case they use all they can get and FMV cut-scenes, just to keep the story as fluid as posible.

IN either case, the game could be ugly (for me) if it can deliver in all the rest that I heard about it.

thatmariolover
04-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by quiet mike
People we talked soo much as how we don't care of graphics and that we want fun and good stories. Well we have here a game with a story that people talk to be epic, like never before etc. Now even if that's all bull, it's still got to be the best story game ever out of all the Nintendo games.

Plus reports say that everything in the game is conected, even graphics, so they use less polygons in some cases and real-time cut scenes, and in another case they use all they can get and FMV cut-scenes, just to keep the story as fluid as posible.

IN either case, the game could be ugly (for me) if it can deliver in all the rest that I heard about it.

And I totally agree. The game looks to be the most ambitious project to date. It'll have an awesome storyline, fluid gameplay, and great puzzles. I don't see what's not to like about the game. I just thought I'd show off the lighting in the new screenshots.

DeathsHand
04-06-2002, 02:35 PM

And I totally agree. The game looks to be the most ambitious project to date. It'll have an awesome storyline, fluid gameplay, and great puzzles. I don't see what's not to like about the game. I just thought I'd show off the lighting in the new screenshots.

Sorry, but people can't like a game until they've played it ;)

Hopefully I can gets mine on the first day it comes out though... If I has the moneyz... I know I used to say I thought it would be dissapointing, but then I got my gamecube and especially with the drought of good games I got more into it and now it sounds kinda cool... although I think some of these impressions may make it sound better than it is :sneaky:

then again, the only games I think will be totally amazingly awesome are ones that are part of a series that I like... :p

thatmariolover
04-07-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by DeathsHand

Sorry, but people can't like a game until they've played it ;)

Hopefully I can gets mine on the first day it comes out though... If I has the moneyz... I know I used to say I thought it would be dissapointing, but then I got my gamecube and especially with the drought of good games I got more into it and now it sounds kinda cool... although I think some of these impressions may make it sound better than it is :sneaky:

then again, the only games I think will be totally amazingly awesome are ones that are part of a series that I like... :p

I've played the Cube Club demo. Meaning that I can like the gameplay and puzzles shown there. And if I liked it there, it's been improved. So I'll probably like them more.

The only part I might have an excuse to not have down is the story. But then, I've done so much research into it that I kind of have a minor understanding of how big the game is and how it's going to go down.

It's like somebody saying before it's out that they're going to like Metal Gear Solid 2. If you did research on it, and played the demo, you probably will have a good grasp on whether or not you're going to like it or not.

You can say you're not sure. Because you haven't done the research I've done on it. But I've got a good compilation of information on ED. I think I know enough about the game to make an intelligent assumption as to if the game is for me or not.

BigJustinW
04-08-2002, 01:39 PM
It's like somebody saying before it's out that they're going to like Metal Gear Solid 2. If you did research on it, and played the demo, you probably will have a good grasp on whether or not you're going to like it or not.

Not exactly... MGS2 is a sequal that looks like the origanal.... and that is enough to come to a conclusion on weather youy will like it or not. ED is an origanal game, but sense it has a demo you can also predict that game. (but the problem is, not many have played the demo)

newname
04-08-2002, 03:16 PM
i dont want to, whats gonna be so great about ed anyway?:cool:

Y2Kevbug11
04-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Oh god, I hope you just know what you started...Lol.

ED is quite the good looking game. The screenshots don't do it justice, but on the other hand, do people really pay attention to lighting? I mean, look at all the people in this thread who were oblivious to the lighting. I believe someone even commented they liked the N64 version BETTER because it was DARKER. It's all a matter of opinion really. Radiocity lighting sure sounds impressive, but when nobody notices, it is kinda wasted.

Gotta comment on how bad I am drooling about now...

BigJustinW
04-08-2002, 03:57 PM
the thing about "Radiocity lighting" is that it can only probably be seen in motion...

newname
04-08-2002, 03:59 PM
dur... thats exactly what it is.