PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Bond
04-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Here is IGN's review of Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast:

April 01, 2002 - Things have changed somewhat since I wrote my first impressions. I've finally finished the game and while I still think Jedi Outcast has some minor shortcomings, the overall experience makes this one of the best games I've played so far this year. If you're even remotely interested in this one, you should go buy it and play it. In case that's not enough of a review for you, maybe the following explanation will help convince you...
For those of you who are just joining us (or like Dan are just a bit slow), Jedi Outcast is the latest in a series of action games focusing on Kyle Katarn, an ex-jedi turned mercenary. Kyle gave up on the whole Force thing after he was tempted by the Dark Side in the last game. You'll lead Kyle back to the jedi path through dozens of missions in his quest for...well, that gives too much away. Lets just say that what begins as a simple mission for Mon Mothma soon turns into an intergalactic tale of love and revenge that involves the future of the jedi. While that would be a bold claim for any game, Jedi Outcast pulls it off wonderfully.

Everything is tied together with a tightly written, mature plot. Kyle's motivations and the progression of the story are all handled with a touch that is at once both subtle and unrelenting. Each section of the story is set off by some really fantastic cutscenes. There's a nice balance and sense of pace here. Too many cutscenes in games are either unnecessary or overly long. While the cutscenes in Jedi Knight II are pretty beefy, there's always enough action going on to keep you interested.

Presentation
It's a great use of the license and a really fantastic story. Too bad the single and multiplayer are two separate .exes. 9.0
Graphics
The beautiful levels are almost as great as the character models. Effects are nice but lighting could be improved. 8.5
Sound
Professional voices bring the story to life. High-quality effects and music are taken straight from the films. 9.0
Gameplay
Combining the lightsaber with the Force powers is great. The puzzles can seem a little tiresome and pointless. 9.0
Lasting Appeal
A meaty single player campaign and lots of multiplayer options give it a long life. 8.5
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.0

Angrist
04-03-2002, 02:00 AM
Nice.

I once played the Jedi Knight demo. I loved it. :drool:
I downloaded Jedi Knight + Mysteries of the Syth expansion from Kazaa, but I'm afraid there might be virussen in it.

Wait a minute, my dad formated the hard-disk... :(

Yoda9864
04-03-2002, 10:12 PM
I actually have the game. It's really awesome. Even more so if you are a Star Wars fan. It's definately one of hte better games of the Star Wars nature.

Like the review said, if you even remotely want to try this game, go buy it now.

Bond
04-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Yoda9864
I actually have the game. It's really awesome. Even more so if you are a Star Wars fan. It's definately one of hte better games of the Star Wars nature.

Like the review said, if you even remotely want to try this game, go buy it now.
Yoda, how hard is the game? Because from what I've heard it is quite difficult.

Cyrax9
04-05-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm probably going to get it, because the last Star Wars PC game I had was the original Star Wars FPS "Dark Forces" for the 486 PC's. I'm not counting My X-Wing collector's Edition for Windows95,because that was only bought to work with Windows, and so I could get the Expansions I missed, I still Have it though.

I almost Got Jedi Knight, and the MOTS expansion, but I had other games I wanted, and cou;ldn't find it for awhile after that. I'm still saving for "Return to Castle Wolfenstein: collector's Edition", which comes in a tin that looks like it's from the war, and there's a new Star Trek Game I want, but with Star Wars: AOTC, and Star Trek: Nemesis both coming out this year, I'm probably going to drain my wallet on Star Trek: Bridge Commander, Sta Wars: Jedi Knight I: Jedsi Outcast, and the new Star Trek toys that look better than hgalf of the other stuff I've seen. 7" action Figures, and ships that are going to Have more lights and sounds than any before them, besides the $100 7 action figure collector's boxed set I'm getting for my B-Day this year from the New Star Trek toy line is really the cartons that they ship to stores, and the "Collector's figures" come wi8th light's and Sound bases that make the ships' Bridge when put together.

In short I'll probably be buying my "usual Stuff" this year, as well as these two games, Star TRek: Bridge Commander Rock's even in the demo version, so the next Game I'm trying is Star Wars Jedi Knight II.

Yoda9864
04-05-2002, 10:49 PM
Yeah, it's a little more difficult than you'd think. you have to lead the stormtroopers with your blaster even at close distances. Once you get your lightsaber and your force powers though....it actually gets harder.

It's still managable though. Don't worry about it.

Joeiss
04-06-2002, 11:55 AM
I am getting it on April 20. This game looks sweet, and I love Star Wars, so this will get me into a good modd for Episode 2.