PDA

View Full Version : Under-Rated Games.

Ric
04-01-2002, 10:39 AM
I was just wondering what games you consider to be, under-rated, by this I do not mean the % and reviews they were given, I mean games that were and are really good but dont command the respect they truly deserve in the gaming community. The games you choose can be for any system, try to list at least 5.

Number 1 on my list of Under-Rated games has to be the absolutely superb Jet Force Gemini (N64), it's one of the greatest games I have ever played and it's absolutely criminal that not many have played it or even know what it is, this game certainly does not command the respect it deserves.

Number 2:
Pilotwings 64 (N64):
One of the best and my favourite flight sim(s) ever created, but do people recognise this great game for what it is, NO.

Number 3:
Secret Of Evermore (SNES):
One hell of a great RPG, however it is consistently overshadowed by Secret Of Mana and Chrono Trigger, why I do not know, it is a great game and has far better graphics than Secret Of Mana. It has a damn good storyline too IMO.

Number 4:
Holy Magic Century (Quest 64) (N64):
A mediocre RPG in every sence of the word, it could have been so much better but for the exceedingly annoying random battles every 5 steps you take and to a lesser extent, the lack of a look button. But for those who stuck with it and completed the game I am sure you will agree, that there is something special about this one.

Number 5:
San Fransisco Rush 2049 (N64):
Another great game here, one of my all time favourite racers, but does this game command the respect it deserves, does it fuuck. This game made me respect Midway as a developer.

Anywho those are my five, what do you think about my opinions and what games do you consider Under-Rated?

fingersman
04-02-2002, 11:32 AM
double dragon 2 and 3 on nes

mario kart on N64

That's all I can think about right now.

Jin
04-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Ric
[B] Number 4:
Holy Magic Century (Quest 64) (N64):
A mediocre RPG in every sence of the word, it could have been so much better but for the exceedingly annoying random battles every 5 steps you take and to a lesser extent, the lack of a look button. But for those who stuck with it and completed the game I am sure you will agree, that there is something special about this one.

I agreed with all of yours, but I'm not too sure about this one... Quest 64 had to have been the worst RPG I've ever played. Nothing was really good about it at all. The only decent thing in this game was the graphics and they were only mediocre. Everything else in the game was horrible. The gameplay was terrible, the battle system needed some improvements, and there was almost no storyline what so ever. Maybe it's because I didn't complete the game, but from what I've seen, it pales in comparison to other titles on the SNES and PSX.

nWoCHRISnWo
04-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Superman 64... Yes, Superman. I doubt half the people who deem it 'worst game ever' even played it before. The game isn't that good, but I've played far worse on every console, thus making this game which is recognized as the 'worst game ever' by many, underrated. The multi-player in this game is actually kinda fun by the way...

Pilotwings is pretty good too. As is Body Harvest and Blast Corps.

Angrist
04-03-2002, 01:54 AM
F-Zero X
So few people actually know this game... which is a shame.

Dunno about more games apart from those that you mentioned.

BigJustinW
04-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo
Superman 64... Yes, Superman. I doubt half the people who deem it 'worst game ever' even played it before. The game isn't that good, but I've played far worse on every console, thus making this game which is recognized as the 'worst game ever' by many, underrated. The multi-player in this game is actually kinda fun by the way...

I agree with you... Superman 64 wasn't as good as the old superman games, but it is still a decent game.

I think every N64 EA sports game is under rated... they should ALL have better scores than thier Psx counterpart.

Power Rangers Games... This is a case of expectations being too high. If everybody expects a 4 player Beat em Up like Gauntlet legends, then it makes sense for the scores to be that low.

Final Fantasy Games (by Nintendo fans)... it's almost sad that 90% of the people who say it's crap have never touched it.

EA's Bond Games... TWINE and Agent Under Fire are both superior to Goldeneye for N64, but for some reason Nintendo fans still act like Goldeneye was better.

The Germanator
04-03-2002, 06:52 PM
I think Space Station Silicon Valley was one of the more under-rated games for N64. It was a very good action-strategy puzzly type game.

Ric
04-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jin
Maybe it's because I didn't complete the game, but from what I've seen, it pales in comparison to other titles on the SNES and PSX.

Yes, it is VERY hard to get into, beating the game was the biggest gaming challenge of my life, because you get so damn pissed off with it. But had you been able to see the enemies from a distance and approach them the game would have been so much better.

Also the first boss, the theif in the woods, is so damn tough I nearly sold the game, I was infact showing a friend how rediculously impossible it is, and I beat him, from then on I feel the game opened up a bit/ a lot. Dunno, its a game that in a review I done of it, the only way I could summarise it was to say, 'This Game is: Good But Crap.'

Originally posted by nWoCHRISnWo
Pilotwings is pretty good too. As is Body Harvest and Blast Corps.

I totally agree, those games were and still are great.

Originally posted by The Germanator
I think Space Station Silicon Valley was one of the more under-rated games for N64. It was a very good action-strategy puzzly type game.

Once again, I totally agree.
I think it's bad reputation, or rather poor recognition, came from the Playstation Version. It was a port of the N64 version and the best example ever of what happens when a Playstation tries to run an N64 game. The graphics are absolute dog turd, the control is absolute dog turd and the game jumps like a kangeroo, yep the Playstation version utterly ruined this game.

Angrist
04-05-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by BigJustinW
Final Fantasy Games (by Nintendo fans)... it's almost sad that 90% of the people who say it's crap have never touched it.

EA's Bond Games... TWINE and Agent Under Fire are both superior to Goldeneye for N64, but for some reason Nintendo fans still act like Goldeneye was better.
Zelda and other Nintendo games (by PlayStation fans)... :rolleyes: A lot of fanboys of one system think the games for the other system suck. (I don't BTW, although I'm more critical)

And Golden Eye just plays better than TWINE!!

Ric
04-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Angrist
And Golden Eye just plays better than TWINE!!

TWINE was/is crap, it has a completly rubbish difficulty curve and the people on it look weird. Goldeneye is far better.

Ok its not crap but hey, it is way too hyped up by its reviews and things IMO.

BigJustinW
04-05-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Angrist

Zelda and other Nintendo games (by PlayStation fans)... :rolleyes: A lot of fanboys of one system think the games for the other system suck. (I don't BTW, although I'm more critical)

lmao, Funny how here and Funxbox everybody calls Final Fantasy Crap.... NOBODY calls Zelda crap (but they do call Cel-Da crap because of how it looks)

Mystery Man
04-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Pokemon Puzzle League

Mystery Girl
04-05-2002, 08:49 PM
britney's dance beat

tee-hee

BlueFire
04-05-2002, 08:52 PM
I think the platformer Mischief Makers(N64) was a lot of fun. I also think Pokemon Puzzle League is underrated as well as Chrono Cross.

Sly_Fox
04-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Earthworm Jim 64, the original Ogre Battle (SNES), and Mortal Kombat 4. Trust me ;)