PDA

View Full Version : I have copyed Xbox games!

Old Skool
03-31-2002, 11:02 AM
Ok I have seen a lot of sites on the net talking about hacking the Xbox and the like so I though I would use my friends DVD duper to see if I can copy Amped just for some thing to do. And I must say I did not think it was going to work what with all the Microsoft talk of copy protection but to my total surprise it did first time! I was total amazed by this after all the money Microsoft put into developing a new forum of copy protection for the Xbox I just did not think it would work but I had to try. Ok the hardware I was using to do this is very expensive it is a stand alone DVD copier just put the DVD you want to copy in the drive put the black DVD in the other drive then press a button and it copy’s it no problems.

Just so you know I do not endorse hacking in any way I just wanted to see if it would work which is not illegal as I do own Amped in the first place.

I will post in the next week or so a Video that shows the copy working I just need to get the digital camera to take the video!

designated_GM3R
03-31-2002, 11:28 AM
You mean the DVD-RWs that are a standard on the new iMacs?
Hmm... Now all one would have to do to get his/her grubby hands on a title is just simply rent it, burn it, and play it. You are one evil fellow for letting this loose upon the world. Off with his head.

Old Skool
03-31-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by designated_GM3R
You mean the DVD-RWs that are a standard on the new iMacs?
Hmm... Now all one would have to do to get his/her grubby hands on a title is just simply rent it, burn it, and play it. You are one evil fellow for letting this loose upon the world. Off with his head.

No I'm on about a stand alone unit which is not connected to any sort of a computer they cost around $4000 to buy.

Gambit_X
03-31-2002, 12:21 PM
If this is real, Microsoft is pretty doomed to losing a LOT of money on Xbox. The games were the only thing they were making profit on. The system itself costs them a lot more to make than they sell it for. If you can just burn games nobody's going to buy games anymore...

I kinda feel bad for M$... that's really too bad.

Oh well... time to buy an Xbox. :roll:

Old Skool
03-31-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Gambit_X
If this is real, Microsoft is pretty doomed to losing a LOT of money on Xbox. The games were the only thing they were making profit on. The system itself costs them a lot more to make than they sell it for. If you can just burn games nobody's going to buy games anymore...

I kinda feel bad for M$... that's really too bad.

Oh well... time to buy an Xbox. :roll:

Yea but saying that the same goes for PS2 as it copys its games as well.

Ric
03-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Thats all well and good, but do these copied games actually work on the consoles, thats the important thing here, if so, it's time I got me and X-Box and one of those copier thingies, 'off the back of a lorry' as they say.

Now unless they start selling writable, mini DVD's therse no chance of copying Gamecube games.

Bond
03-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Thats all well and good, but do these copied games actually work on the consoles, thats the important thing here, if so, it's time I got me and X-Box and one of those copier thingies, 'off the back of a lorry' as they say.

Now unless they start selling writable, mini DVD's therse no chance of copying Gamecube games.
Those copier thingies are around $4,000 as Old Skool said.

And with this news look at this:

Hong Kong has found a way to pirate Gamecube games. Not on mini-CDs, but on the Panasonic Q. Read on what Lan-Kwei had to say:

But these news are just too good to wait any longer: Using the Panasonic Q with it's DVD playback availability, the first Gamecube games have been successfully pirated and copied onto DVD-R format. We have seen it with our own eyes and tested them immediately with our machines - no hoax this time. They work flawless with both modded and "naked" Qs. Available titles so far include Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars, Extreme GIII Racing and Hyper Sports 2002 Winter. All titles are japanese versions, because according to our source, "american titles are not widespread in the Hong Kong market due to a lack of potential customers with modified Panasonic machines, which are still very expensive and people still prefer the PS2", but we assume this may change very soon, as we all know, asians are going copy-crazy for everything. The backups retail in the local market for around US$ 12.

It had to happen sometime.

BreakABone
03-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Well this is why it was a smart move for Nintendo not to release the Panasonic Q outside of Japan.

The system isn't in widespread circulation either. So it's not that bad so far.

Hopefully, it doesn't sprread any further, but I doubt that.

Joeiss
03-31-2002, 07:07 PM
Wow... I am still not going to buy an Xbox.... Well, at least until they lower the price of that DVD burner. $4000 is about $3500 more than I would pay for one of those.

And I find it funny that they can now burn GCN games. I thought the whole point of making the "mini discs" was to prevent piracy! Oh well.

Old Skool
03-31-2002, 07:54 PM
Ok Ok so I was joking! I just wanted to see what you would think if you could copy Xbox games and asking if you would copy them would not have been the same. Sorry people but this is not real

Cheerz
Richard/Old Skool
Editor Xbox365.com

Bond
03-31-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Old Skool
Ok Ok so I was joking! I just wanted to see what you would think if you could copy Xbox games and asking if you would copy them would not have been the same. Sorry people but this is not real

Cheerz
Richard/Old Skool
Editor Xbox365.com
It's March 31st Old Skool...

BreakABone
03-31-2002, 08:34 PM
There is two things about April that get to me.

One is good and the other is bad.
Sadly enough they always come back to back.

I hate April 1st. I HATE APRIL FOOLS' DAY

Then there is April 2nd and well nothing could go wrong on my b-day unless people want top continue there April Fool's jokes.

Joeiss
03-31-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Skool

Cheerz
Richard/Old Skool
Editor Xbox365.com

Wow. This was a total waste of a thread. You should have at least told us that you were joking tomorrow.

BlueFire
03-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Bond

It's March 31st Old Skool... Not where he lives..I think.

And hahahahhahahah. Good one, Puppet!

Not. :rolleyes:

gekko
03-31-2002, 09:50 PM
Damn, I could tell this guy was lying from the first post. Of course, it might be cause I know quite about about Xbox piracy protection, but that's no excuse for you guys.

Here's a tip in the future, if someone doesn't sound like they know what they're talking about, they don't. The guys who hack into these consoles are complete geeks, and you can easily tell OldSkool has no clue what he's talking about.

I mean, without getting into detail, he never mentioned the type of DVD burner he was using, and if he spent $4000 on it, he should know a lot about burning DVDs. He also just said "black DVD" which is complete crap. No mention of the type of DVD disc, because Xbox does not use the standard discs.

From the sounds of it, he walked into Daddy's work, and tried copying the DVD, brought it back and it worked perfectly. Doesn't work like that. Still need to bypass the regional code detection, and burn the disc with the write encoding, and so on.

On a side note, Q was bound to be pirated. But GC is also being pirated using the ports underneath the console to attach external CD-ROM devices and then have that read the disc and run the game. Problem is if devices like the 64DD are planned, this will always be a way to pirate the system. It checks the slot on the bootup, and can run games from it too. Easy piracy.

WOWZY
04-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi there. Newbie here.

I've been lurking here from time to time and found alot of your posts very helpful.

Maybe I can shed a little light on the "Hacking" of the Xbox games a little. Microsoft has gone to great pains to make it the most difficult to pirate their games.

1) Xbox games are written differently than other CD/DVD discs. Normal CD/DVD's are written from the inner ring to the outer edge. Xbox games are written from the outside edge to the inner edge like an old record album. People are working right now to try to backwards copy Xbox games as we speak with not so good results. The one advantage of Xbox games being written backwards is that the games load faster because the data is moving faster on the outer edge than the inner edge.

2) Xbox games are written on DVD-9 discs. Even if you were able to copy Xbox games, the price of a DVD-9 disc is between $40-$50. So that would mean that it would be easier just to go out and buy the game.

The hackers are doing it mostly for bragging rights, but until the price of DVD-9's come down drastically it's not worth losing any sleep over.

I'm optomistic that it will be done though.

Professor S
04-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Yes, lets all cheer for hackers who illegally copy games so that it will kill a console and make developers junp ship because they aren't making any money off of the pirated discs.

HUZAAH. ACCOLADES FOR THEM. :rolleyes:

I now own a Dreamcast which is a WONDERFUL console, but is now DEAD and part of the reason was that hackers pirated their games

But lets get this RIGHT. The pond scum that do this are not "hackers". Hacker is a term of honor for individuals who believe in the rights of free information and hack into government and corporate computer systems for the purposes of knowledge, do NO damage, and then leave without disturbing anything, except maybe to leave a message on the company's site as to where they are vulnerable and how top fix it.

Piraters are "CRACKERS", who are usually 12 year old kids who think its cool to put "denial of service" attacks on friggin' forums. They have no ideals and no principles to why they do it beside wanting to brag to their little friends, when they aren't getting beat up at school, about how they don't have to pay the hard working people who made their games to play them.

I highly recommend the book "@Large" to anyone who is interested in hacking. Its about the single most scary incident of hacking that took place in the early 90's and lead to all the new information laws.

Basically, its a true story about this little demented kid who hacked into NASA and Sun Microsystems, trojaned their Operating system Solaris, sent it back and then had access to just about everything in the world, including US and Russian Military Satellite Codes. Its an EXCELLENT read and illustrates perfectly between "hackers" and crackers, for which the bet part of them dripped down the crack of their mom's a$$.

quiet mike
04-11-2002, 11:23 AM
By the way have you guys learned that the Q thing was an April fools as well? The site that started it itself said it was a April Fools, plus they just "burned" a mini-DVD in a paragraph and and "press printed" a disck in the other one. Now that was a dead giveaway.