PDA

View Full Version : Well, wrestling games are doomed..

Non-Dusk
03-30-2002, 01:21 PM
"You do not grab your opponent with one button tap and then execute your move with a combination of direction and button. Instead, for grappling, it's similar to the WWF Smackdown! series most recently seen on the PlayStation 2. To perform a grapple move, you simply stand next to your opponent and press a direction in combination with the A-button. Yuke's has no doubt come to enjoy the fast-paced action of Smackdown!, but we're not entirely sure that fans migrating over from the N64 will enjoy it as much. In fact, we must admit ourselves that the lack of the setup grapple just feels awkward. You feel less in control, which in turn is more prone to feel like button-mashing." -IGN

:| IMO, the smackdown series SUCK

*sigh* THQ better shape up and get AKI back soon..

BigJustinW
03-30-2002, 02:00 PM
They managed to kill No Mercy's best feature...

well... somthing tells me WMX8 will only stand out in features, but it will fail in gameplay.

Non-Dusk
03-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Just like smackdown... :mad:

Blix
03-31-2002, 12:56 AM
I don't know if I'll buy it now. :unsure: I like the wrestlemania 2000 type of gameplay.

fingersman
03-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Nooooooooo..wtf is Yukes thinking , damn it, I hope THQ steps in and does something?? Gezzzzzz, don't they know anything...if you have a good formula in a sports game, you leave it how it is and try to improve on it.
*sigh*

Ridley
03-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Well if anyone cares, this is what WWFWrestlinggames.com had to say about it:

"Getting use to the punching and grappling buttons took all of five
seconds. You use the B button to punch and A button to grapple. The
punching animation really reminded me of SmackDown! but this didn't
bother me to much because the wrestler's taking the punch were
selling it extremely well. Whenever Triple H would punch he would
throw his head and body back just like the real Triple H would. The
grappling felt just like the AKI engine. Hit the A button and you
would grapple on to the other superstar with ease. Hit the B button
and my superstar would give a swift knee to the torso. Using the A
button in conjunction with the Analog Stick would give you a
different move. Within minutes I found myself getting someone in a
grapple and giving them a neck-breaker. The grapple system is one of
the most impressive things about this game because it feels so much
like the AKI engine."

*shrugs* :unsure:

Revival
03-31-2002, 10:12 AM
It's not going to change my mind, I'm still not getting any wrestling games :D

Null
03-31-2002, 11:30 AM
um yea. the engine is more like the AKI engine then any of the other wrestlers.

All that is saying is you move towards your wrelster and press A to grapple.

nothing more.

To perform a move in grapple you press A with a direction to.

As everyone whos played the game thus far says its VERY much like the AKI engine.

Grappling in smackdown isnt its problem. (its the performing moves) so saying grappling is similar to smackdown isnt a bad thing.

BreakABone
03-31-2002, 11:53 AM
Hmm for some reason I don't think everyone's main problem with SD! was the grapples. Well atleast in my opinion. The fact is the game is a tad bit more arcadey and at that becomes a button masher. The fact that the game also featured little to no selling helped.

I don't know. I would have personally preffer they implented the SD way of striking with the No Mercy way of grapple, but they want for a more SmackDown-ish feel. The main thing people seem to forget about this is the game is more focused on reversals and counters than the SmackDown! series which would lead the grapple and all around fighting closer to the No Mercy series. As SmackDown isn't really big on counters and reversals. The game also features some selling as evident in some of the screens and movies.

So in conclusion it's not exactly a sequel to No Mercy. Which I am somewhat grateful for I mean the engine was first used back in 96 with WCW vs the World and has been modified for like 6 games if you count the Virtual Pro Wrestling series. And just wait till June to give the game a chance.

BigJustinW
04-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Null
um yea. the engine is more like the AKI engine then any of the other wrestlers.

Well, I think Raw is a lot like No Mercy too...

Non-Dusk
04-01-2002, 06:24 PM
not at all. RAW uses grapples, but it's much faster and just not as enjoyable, IMO

newname
04-02-2002, 12:42 PM
darn thats the best thing in wrestling games. grappling and then doing the directional configuration and so forth. no 1 did it better than w2000, or was it no mercy. oh well.