PDA

View Full Version : X-Box's Response!

BreakABone
03-30-2002, 11:41 AM
When I think about Nintendo, I think about Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. So does Microsoft have an answer to these 3 classic franchises??? Maybe... just maybe.

Platformer
GameCube: Mario (Sunshine)
Xbox: Malice

Adventure
GameCube: Zelda
Xbox: Project Ego

FPS
GameCube: Metroid Prime
Xbox: Halo

Malice caught my eye way before the Xbox was ever released. It was the first game shown for Xbox (if you don’t count the dancing robot). I believe Malice has the capability to be a great platformer, now Xbox’s Mascot... that’s a different story.

People are already saying that Project Ego is going to be the best RPG/Adventure game of all time. But, we can't judge until it is out. Same goes for *cough* Celda *cough*

I think Metroid Prime has a lot to live up to with Halo already out. Nintendo has to make up for a lot of lost time.

Right now, it's too hard to call (considering only 1 out of those 6 titles are actually out in stores). But who knows, Xbox already shocked the world with Halo. Xbox could do it again with Project Ego, and Malice.

What are your thoughts?

This thread was taken form the XBA GC vs X-Box forum. I thought it would be interesting to get thoughts from both sides. Credit to X-Factor at XBA for the original thread.

fingersman
03-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Well I can't really say because 1. These are old franchises from Nintendo and these are new games from Xbox......so we have an idea how the Nintendo ones play....but we can only assume how the Xbox games will played based on people's previews...so I say I would have to play all of them and then say if these games are a match or not.

But otherwise than the comment above if the xbox games are as good as the hype...or viceversa then......or if all the games you mentioned on both systems are good then we only have one winner.....

The Gamers. :D

Ridley
03-30-2002, 12:19 PM
I agree that Project Ego and Malice have a lot of potential and Metroid Prime definitely has it's work cut out for it with Halo out. But one thing I'd like to mention is that Malice isn't Xbox exclusive. It's coming to the PS2 in the Fall. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I'm assuming you were putting exclusive games on GCN of a specific genre, against exclusive games on Xbox. But I could be wrong :unsure:

C.H
03-30-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone

Adventure
[/i]

I realise that Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franscise's, but another certain mascot will also get his own adventure game this year. And personally, i'm looking forward to it more then both of those games (er, well, actaully all of those games. But this is just about the adventure games) . I don't think i even need to mention the name, cause it's in my sig.

O, and Breakabone, this might be more suitable for the 'Fight club' forum. Since it's comparing GC and X-BOX.

Bond
03-30-2002, 10:49 PM
Platformer
GameCube: Mario (Sunshine)
Xbox: Malice

Probably not the best pick considering that Malice is not Xbox exclusive, but nonetheless. I don't think anything will ever compare with Mario, because hey, it's Mario. But there are many strong plat formers for the Xbox (Vexx, Malice etc.) that do give Mario a run for his money.

Adventure

Now I would say this is almost 50/50. But in my personal viewpoint this one is going to go to Project Ego. Basically because it's something brand new (as is Zelda, sort of) and it is the main reason many people have bought a Xbox. I have before interviewed the team behind Project Ego and they are some pretty smart guys. Very creative and they also have great views one what is to come considering videogames.

Look for Project Ego to be a brake away hit and Zelda to just be another good title in the Zelda series.

FPS
GameCube: Metroid Prime
Xbox: Halo

Well, by the time Metroid Prime is released for the GameCube, Halo will be a pretty old title for the Xbox. But I really see Halo winning the FPS genre here. Halo has now set the bar for future console FPS and while I have faith in Metroid Prime, I don't think it will be able to pull off what Halo has done.

BreakABone
03-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Well some of this were bad choices in my opinion period.

And just so I could re-state. This isn't my thread I copied and pasted one from XBA to get a different viewpoint.

That is all for now.

Bond
03-30-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone
Well some of this were bad choices in my opinion period.

And just so I could re-state. This isn't my thread I copied and pasted one from XBA to get a different viewpoint.

That is all for now.
Yes, well. I would like to see some other people's reactions to the topic before I post some more about the subject.

BlueFire
03-31-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by C.H

O, and Breakabone, this might be more suitable for the 'Fight club' forum. Since it's comparing GC and X-BOX. Yep.. ;)

Angrist
03-31-2002, 04:03 AM
You just can't compare Project Ego with Zelda: they're two different types of games!!

Same goes for Metroid Prime and Halo. The first one's about exploring, the second one about shooting.

And like Bond said, Malice isn't exclusive so that probably won't help M$ much...

Shadow_Link
03-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Bond, again, Vexx isn't Xbox exclusive, as it is going multiplatform. A.d though Malicce hasn't been announced for cube, it may have a chance, either case, it is going to another console.

As for Halo, well, you could pick between Perfect dark and Metroid, though I still think it will take something special to surpass Halo, and hard work tobe on the same level. Then again, this is Rare we are talking about, and Retro, though unproven, are made up of some very talented team members from the guys that bought you half life and the like. And based on IGN's impressions of metroid prime thus far, I am intruigued!

As for Project Ego and zelda, you cannot compare the two, they are totally different. Nintendo announced that they were making a RPG adventure type game, a totally new series, maybe that would be a more suitable comparison!

BigJustinW
04-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Final Fantasy was Sony's answer for Zelda last generation... and they were totally different. But that doesn't mean they aren't competing...