PDA

View Full Version : RE......ouch

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 05:44 PM
As you may or may not know, the HIGHLY anticipated Resident Evil remake has made its way to Japan. And the sales numbers are in. Is this the game to make the sales of Gamecube compete with PS2 in Japan? Will it be enough to do the same in North America? Well....

"March 28, 2002 - According to the Japanese website Dengeki Online, Capcom's GameCube remake of Biohazard (Resident Evil, US) debuted in the homeland with solid numbers. The site, which calculated sales from March 18 through March 24, noted that Biohazard had garnered sales in upward of 104,000 units.
This figure, perhaps not mind-blowing in of itself, is made more impressive given that Capcom's survival horror update didn't release until March 22, giving it only three days of sell through. "

Giving it only three days of sell through

:unsure: Onimusha 2 for PS2 had three days to sell, and it sold 669,323 copies. What does this mean? I don't think Resident Evil is Capcom's biggest thing anymore. I mean, those numbers say it all.

This is disappointing. Really. I wanted this game to turn sales around for the Gamecube. I'm getting a 'Cube later this year, and I want it to have all the best 3rd party games. Well, I'm sure Capcom won't be too pleased with these results. There is a quote somewhere that states 'If Gamecube sales don't pick up in Japan soon for the release of Biohazard remake, we'll have to reconsider its exclusiveness to the Gamecube"....:unsure:

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Well I guess GT needed one of this. I suppose I can't just see it at XenGamers,N-sider, IGN and XBA.

Well I don't know what type of mind blowing numbers you people expected but the game is still a remake. I don't know. Give the game some time and see how it turns out then. I mean yeah the other game sold over 600k but that was released onn Ps2 with a much larger fanbase. Just see which one remains strong in the long run.

And I don't have the link on me.. but there was one that stated that this was 65% of the stock which meant there wasn't much to begin with.

Null
03-29-2002, 05:52 PM
couple things.

104,000 units = games sold or GC's sold because of the game?

And they and others say they are very good / impressive numbers.

You want to know the difference? think of how many more people had PS2's then people who had GC's. Then you tell me why the number is so much greater for the PS2 game?

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Null
couple things.

104,000 units = games sold or GC's sold because of the game?

And they and others say they are very good / impressive numbers.

You want to know the difference? think of how many more people had PS2's then people who had GC's. Then you tell me why the number is so much greater for the PS2 game?

number of games sold.

and think about this:

with the PS2, there's a ton of other games to pick. you know them. I won't name them. with Gamecube, it's just getting started, and when the most hyped game gets released, it usually sells a LOT in that situation. then think about the fact that there are approx. 1.5 million Gamecubes in Japan, and that this game probably won't sell 300 thousand copies...

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:26 PM
To tell you the truth, I was quite surprised by these numbers.
One reason could be though that the japanese may just see this as a normal remake of the first one, hence they wouldn't bother picking it up...

On a side note, how much did RE:CV X sell for the PS2 in its first couple of days?

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
On a side note, how much did RE:CV X sell for the PS2 in its first couple of days?

lol, don't even try...

a crappy port of a Dreamcast game...compared to a completely redone REMAKE of Resident Evil...which was hyped up to infinity...

I see where you're going though...my point is, this is supposed to be a AAA title....RE:CVX was supposed to sell like crap...no one was hyping it at all...

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:36 PM
Hey Stu, I was just curious, it wasn't supposed to be a retaliation :D.

But just to say something, even if RE:CV X was meant to be a crappy port, even though it wasn;t a crappy port, it was an AAA title, with bonus features ;).

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey Stu, I was just curious, it wasn't supposed to be a retaliation :D.

But just to say something, even if RE:CV X was meant to be a crappy port, even though it wasn;t a crappy port, it was an AAA title, with bonus features ;).

AAA title? If that's the case, what are games like MGS2, FFX, VF4, GTA3? AAAAAAAA titles?

;)

Nobody wanted RE:CVX and it got bad reviews....hardly a AAA title. RE on Gamecube, however, got 39 out of 40 from Famitsu...

let's try to keep your curiosity out of this ;)

Null
03-29-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

number of games sold.

and think about this:

with the PS2, there's a ton of other games to pick. you know them. I won't name them. with Gamecube, it's just getting started, and when the most hyped game gets released, it usually sells a LOT in that situation. then think about the fact that there are approx. 1.5 million Gamecubes in Japan, and that this game probably won't sell 300 thousand copies...

Has nothign to do with it.

you know just as well as i do. when a great game comes along for PS2 you take notice and grab it.

Great games, no matter how many games are on the console the great game comes to........ These great games are gems.

PS2 has more
Therefor PS2 has more consoles sold
Therefor PS2 great games get more buyers.

simple as that.

great games for GC, not many right now. I havnt touched my GC for months. well then again i havnt really gotten into PS2 either for the past few weeks. BUT. i didnt buy a GC for the games it had now. i bought it for the games that are comeing. and they will come.

I went thro the same thing on my PS2. first year blew on it. 2nd year rocked.

A great game for GC vs PS2. its pretty much a given the PS2 will sell more. PS2 could sell a game at a ratio of 1:2 of consoles sold.

GC could sell it at 1:1 and the ps2 would still be selling more games.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Ok Stu :burger:.

BUT... :p

There has to be a but.

Mmmm... Ah forget it!

Bond
03-29-2002, 06:54 PM
Ok Stu :burger:.

BUT... :p

There has to be a but.

Mmmm... Ah forget it!
Was there a point to that?

Anyway, I think the numbers are fairly disappointing for all the hype the game recieved.

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Null

Has nothign to do with it.

you know just as well as i do. when a great game comes along for PS2 you take notice and grab it.

Great games, no matter how many games are on the console the great game comes to........ These great games are gems.

PS2 has more
Therefor PS2 has more consoles sold
Therefor PS2 great games get more buyers.

simple as that.

great games for GC, not many right now. I havnt touched my GC for months. well then again i havnt really gotten into PS2 either for the past few weeks. BUT. i didnt buy a GC for the games it had now. i bought it for the games that are comeing. and they will come.

I went thro the same thing on my PS2. first year blew on it. 2nd year rocked.

A great game for GC vs PS2. its pretty much a given the PS2 will sell more. PS2 could sell a game at a ratio of 1:2 of consoles sold.

GC could sell it at 1:1 and the ps2 would still be selling more games.

I have an idea! How about I compare RE's sales to the original Onimusha's!!!!!?????

Onimusha ended up being a million copy seller :D

:burger:

gekko
03-29-2002, 09:39 PM
Let's see. Considering how many millions more PS2's are sitting in Japan than Gamecube, it should've sold 500,000 more copies. Also, RE is only a remake of a series many people got sick of because of Capcom's rushed sequels. Onimusha is going to be the next sequel to go to ****s, aka it's the next RE.

Take a look at RE. 1 was good, 2 was a little worse, but still good, 3 started to suck, CV just kept going down hill. Then it was ported on every possible system. Most people can honestly say, it's getting a little old. The remake of 1 will be good, but I don't see it curing the RE-sickened gamers. RE4 and RE0 have been a long time in the works, and I see those actually doing a lot better.

Onimusha on the other hand, isn't old yet. The first one was good, and now people want the second. It's quite obvious that a new game, plus a larger installed base should give you greater sales. Wait until Onimusha is avaliable on every system, and on the 30th game in the series, they can remake the original, but it's still 6 years old, and a game everyone is sick of, except the big fans. In this case, a lot of RE's fans are PS2 owners Capcom pissed off. RE4 for PS2 was one of my deciding factors in buying a PS2, and RE was the only reason I wanted a PSX.

And yes, Onimusha became a million seller, but not in 3 days. I'm pretty sure the RE remake will become a million seller too.

Sigma
03-29-2002, 09:39 PM
lets see

how many ps2s have been sold in in Japan? and how many GCs have been sold in Japan?

That answers the question right there.

Its pretty stupid to compare the two when the userbase for GC is far lower than the ps2 right now. Ps2 has been out for ages. GC is still pretty new.

Besides that, GC hasn't done well in Japan at all. This is actually pretty good. As you can see, the people at IGN make it sound like its a good thing. Its actually not that bad at all.

PS2 is really the system to make games for at this time. The head start it had has made a huge difference for Sony and i'm pretty sure they'll come out number 1 this generation, though we don't know if GC sales will skyrocket this year.

GameMaster
03-29-2002, 10:58 PM
I think this game will definately do as well in North America. People were already looking foward to it but with outstanding ratings like those of Famitsu's it adds to our desire.

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Don't talk about "the big head start"

Installed PS2 user base in Japan: About 6 million......divide 669,323 into 6 million, and you get 1 game for every 9 systems or so

As for RE...

Gamecube's user base is about 1.5 million in Japan.....divide 104,000 into that and you get 1 game for every 15 systems...

:burger:

Whether it's a remake or not, it got a 39 out of 40 from Famitsu...and should be selling better than it is...

Jonbo298
03-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Why don't we all wait for the US sales since they will most likely be better than Japan's sales due to the fact(from what I know) that people in the US like horror/blood/gore/fighting, you get the picture. Plus advertising here is better since we sit and watch TV all the time and whatnot. So, Capcom should wait before deciding on "exclusivity" to the 'Cube. We should wait for the US sales figures too I guess.

fingersman
03-30-2002, 09:52 AM
Why don't all of you guys shut up? :D;) sorry i always wanted to say that. ;) You can say RE didn't sell well in three days because of some reason or the other, you can say it's because of the user base...you could on and on blah blah...but the fact of the matter is it won't change that RE only sold that amount of copies. But the fact of the matter is...if it's an really good game it will sell.....so give it about a month and then you can analyse why it sold bad or good.

Blix
03-30-2002, 11:41 AM
The title, which was listed on Japanese magazine Famitsu's Most Wanted list consistently before its release, was also the number-one selling game in Japan for the first several days after its release, according to Yahoo Daily Software Sales charts. I think Resident Evil is not doing bad at all. And if my memory doesn't fail me Omnimusha was the first (or one of the first) good games to hit the Ps2. And it remain one of the only good games for a while. Just like Luigis mansion, Smash bros. and RS2.

Sigma
03-30-2002, 03:59 PM
I think that there are more than 6 million ps2s sold in japan, but who cares.

Its probably cause GCs userbase isn't the type that would play games like that. Though I think its pretty good for a system that is just building, the more "mature" user base.

That has to be the reason its not selling like crazy. It'll probably improve over time.

Sigma
03-30-2002, 04:01 PM
at least now we know what the GC userbase in Japan is like and that the "mature" user base is growing.

Thanks for the numbers stu.

BreakABone
03-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Well here is something I came across in the letter section of GameSpot called The Spot (I know how creative, but I could see some troubles if they nanmed it G-Spot)

Anyhow apparently Capcom was only betting on selling 400k of those all together. So if you think about it getting 25% of your expected sales ain't all that bad and only in 3 days.

*Waits for Stu to comment*

*Grabs chair and takes a seat*

newname
04-02-2002, 11:58 AM
all the people that bought onimusha 2 probly already had a ps2. a majority of people buying biohazard probly got a gc.