PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Outsells the GameCube World Wide

Bond
03-29-2002, 03:51 PM
Interactive Entertainment - Early 2002 Remains Strong With Solid February Comps Total video game retail dollar sales were up 44% in February and 23% YTD, according to NPD Funworld. The positive comps were due to strong sales of new platforms and triple-A titles. Software dollars rose 45% for the month and 22% YTD. The availability of compelling titles and strong hardware sales drove the solid comps. Hardware sales continued at a robust clip-- the PS2 sold 430,000 units in February, Xbox sold 143,000 and GameCube sold 80,000.

I thought that was quite interesting.

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 03:55 PM
not just outsells....almost doubles in sales....

Bond
03-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
not just outsells....almost doubles in sales....
Very close. The Xbox outsold the GameCube in February by 63,000 consoles.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 04:46 PM
I think that title is misleading. Has the Xbox actually sold more units overall worldwide? Or is this just for a certain time period?

Because I don't see anywherein the article where it says the xbox has outsold the Gc worldwide... You could change the title, UNLESS the xbox actually has sold more units than the Gc around the world since they have both come out...

Oh, and I am not surprised that the Xbox is doing better at the moment, since it has the advantage of Europe over Nintendo...

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
I think that title is misleading. Has the Xbox actually sold more units overall worldwide? Or is this just for a certain time period?

Because I don't see anywherein the article where it says the xbox has outsold the Gc worldwide... You could change the title, UNLESS the xbox actually has sold more units than the Gc around the world since they have both come out...

Oh, and I am not surprised that the Xbox is doing better at the moment, since it has the advantage of Europe over Nintendo...

the PS2 sold 430,000 units in February, Xbox sold 143,000 and GameCube sold 80,000

Bond
03-29-2002, 05:01 PM

Yes, the Xbox has outsold the GameCube worldwide by a few hundred thousand units. But that was not the point of the article, only February was. The title is not misleading considering both statements are true.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 05:05 PM
UNLESS the xbox actually has sold more units than the Gc around the world since they have both come out...

:-o

No need to get on my back! :D

Stu, I said the main title was kind of midleading, but since it is TRUE! It's ok, just wasn't mentioned in the article...

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Well this thread is rather misleading..

As far as I could remember The NPD only does the North American market hence the fact the have links to other territories on their site. I'm still trying to find a spot on their page that confirms it.

Secondly, the X-Box hasn't outsold the GC world wide. Last I checkec the X-Box had the GC beat in North America by like 100k consoles and in Euro since it ain't launch. But the GC has it beat in Japan by like 1 million console which offsets the others.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Hmmm, actually, that is true BAB. Bond, could you provide us with a link :D.

Ric
03-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah, America and Japan count as worldwide dont they. Forget the other, oh I dunno, 5 BILLION PEOPLE ON THE PLANET, you know the ones that live in Asia and Africa and Europe etc etc, the name of this topic is very misleading for small minded people.

They are the sales for 1 month, I am sure overall sales would produce a different/more accurate result however it is not fair to judge until all the consoles have been launched 'worlwide' (you know, worldwide, as in the entire world.)

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 05:57 PM
I knew this would happen

Everyone comes in here can't face the facts that Xbox is outselling the Gamecube, whether it be Japan only (which would be very sad) or Japan + North America (which is considered worldwide right now for the Gamecube and Xbox....since Gamecube isn't even released there :rolleyes:

All I see here is a bunch of whining. Face the facts, accept it. Suck it up if you have to. Just don't try to find some sort of petty excuse.

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 06:02 PM
I knew this would happen

Everyone comes in here can't face the facts that Xbox is outselling the Gamecube, whether it be Japan only (which would be very sad) or Japan + North America (which is considered worldwide right now for the Gamecube and Xbox....since Gamecube isn't even released there :rolleyes:

All I see here is a bunch of whining. Face the facts, accept it. Suck it up if you have to. Just don't try to find some sort of petty excuse.
I am not worthy of both of your intelligen.. I mean heck.. it doesn't matter that the GC has outsold the X-Box in the year 2002 in Japan alone by atleast some 100,000 console

(Check the latest numbers at www.the-magicbox.com or famistu but I don't read Jap so I couldn't direct you)

The X-Box is outselling the Cube in the USA.. well duh..

But simply put combined the X-Box is in 3rd place even though it has one more territory than the Cube. The numbers from Europe has not been released but to offset the million of Cube sold in Japan alone last year would be hard. (And if you want you could check those numbers at The-magicbox also)

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:19 PM
.Firstly, BAB, latest numbers reported by MCV online suggest that around 1.8 million cubes have been sold in japan.

Stu, please be quite for a second. READ the title, it is MISLEADING, well it is if the Xbox HAS NOT out sold the Gc wordwide.
Who cares if you include Europe or not? Either way, the Gc, as stated by some people, has sold more units around the world than the Xbox...

On a side note... Who cares? This is just aout the title of the topic :p.

Bond
03-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Ok, I have somewhat changed the title to your liking.

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 06:22 PM
okay, I wasn't talking about the topic being misleading...

but whatever

:p

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:30 PM
Now that's better! :D

Though it could be even better if you can change the MAIN title! JOKE! :D

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 06:35 PM
X-Box:
Eurpoe 1 month (released after holiday season)
Japan 2 months (released after holiday season)
US 4 months

Gamecube:
Europe 0 months
Japan 6 months
US 4 months

right now, GCN has has 1 more holiday season than Xbox, and 3 more moths total on the market...

So whatever the sales charts say, Gamecube has had a big advantage.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:39 PM
... If you want to turn it into this BJW, well, that is really MS's fault isn't it? This is the business world. Nintendo maged to get it out earlier, therefore, it's in fron't yes it has an advantage, but as it stands, the Xbox IS in third place.

It's just like with the PS2, it has been out SO MUCH longer, yet, that is business, and deserves to be in the lead.

Bond
03-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Who cares if you include Europe or not?
I understand your point there Shadow Link. But if you don't care about including Europe then I shouldn't care about including Japan. Basically your argument is about including Japan. That statement basically destroys your argument.

I understand that Europe would only affect the outcome by a little, but it still is a place just as Japan is.

My source for the Xbox outselling the GameCube worldwide is the end of the year 2001 press releases by both companies. At that time the Xbox was ahead by a few hundred thousand units. I have searched around my press releases websites for updated officially confirmed sales charts by both companies and I was unable to find them.

If the GameCube is currently outselling the Xbox to date I would not be surprised. For I was only talking about the end of the year 2001.

My intention when creating this topic was not to mislead people, but it was to just simply show the sales charts for February and that the Xbox had outsold the GameCube. I had no intention of misleading people and creating this much uproar. It was just supposed to be a simple topic displaying sales charts.

Also I am sorry, the numbers were only for North America. I had believed that it would be world wide for obvious reasons. When the article was handed down to me there was no indication that it was only North America, so logically I assumed it was worldwide. But I have later found out it was only North America.

So in closing all I ask of people is to just take the thread for what it is and not blow it out of proportion like it is so many times.

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 06:45 PM
... If you want to turn it into this BJW, well, that is really MS's fault isn't it? This is the business world. Nintendo maged to get it out earlier, therefore, it's in fron't yes it has an advantage, but as it stands, the Xbox IS in third place.

It's just like with the PS2, it has been out SO MUCH longer, yet, that is business, and deserves to be in the lead.

So if I started making threads about how Ps2 has more world wide sales than GCN, people wouldn't use the release date as an excuse????

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 06:46 PM
I agree Bond, I know this wasn't created to mislead people.

About the including Europe or not part. I was merely stating that as a part of Stu's argument.

He said that we consider only N.A and Japan wordwide since the Gc has not even come out in Europe. In reply, I just stated it wouldn't make a difference to the outcome even if you included Europe into the equation at the moment.

BJW, some people may, I wouldn't. You just did :D.

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 06:51 PM
BJW, some people may, I wouldn't.

Yeah... sure....

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BigJustinW

So if I started making threads about how Ps2 has more world wide sales than GCN, people wouldn't use the release date as an excuse????

It woudln't matter, the PS2 is still outselling Gamecube right now by a ton!

As is stands, the PS2 would still be way ahead of the Gamecube or Xbox even if it launched at the same time...

Here are the latest hardware numbers from Japan for the week of 3/11 - 3/17.

System/units sold during week/total sold in 2002

Playstation 2 - 75,989 - 1,094,725
GameBoy Advance - 28,382 - 716,530
GameCube - 12,698 - 307,485
X-Box - 7,924 - 179,931
PSone - 5,045 - 82,624
WonderSwan Color - 2,071 - 43,495
GameBoy - 1,347 - 49,283

That's right... 1,094,725 to 307,485...

Not. Even. Close.

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 06:59 PM
Well first to justin

Like Pyscho said the timing was more done to the companies. If MicroSoft really wanted to capitalize on the holidays they should have released it before then. But like I believe we agreed on AIM. This would best be settled at the beginning of 2003 when they all went through their paces.

to Bond when you refer to the press release I believe that you are only referring to the North American related ones because Nintendo hardly ever releases press releases dealing with both Japan and the North American market together.

To justin again (using the order they were posted) if you were to make a thread about the PS2 beating the GC in total sales I would use the release date as an excuse, but if you made one like Bond there really is no excuse except for Nintendo's poor software showing right about now.

And well I don't know Shadow's point but I think it would be unfair to include Europe in the equation. Like you stated in a previous post no one has confirmed the figures for X-Box in Europe and the GC hasn't been released there yet. Unlike Japan, in which you could have numbers comparing them (even if they are a tad inaccurate).

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 07:01 PM

Yeah... sure....

*Talks in Bond mode*

Was there a point to that? :D

Well, yes BJW, I wouldn't, what are you insinuating?

And well I don't know Shadow's point but I think it would be unfair to include Europe in the equation. Like you stated in a previous post no one has confirmed the figures for X-Box in Europe and the GC hasn't been released there yet. Unlike Japan, in which you could have numbers comparing them (even if they are a tad inaccurate)

Once again, let me make it clear, it just wouldn't make a difference in the out come if you included Europe or not for Xbox against the Gc. The Xbox has probably sold around what, around 120,000 + units in Europe, whereas the Gc has sold 1.8 M, which is more than the Xbox sold in Japan and Europe combined. Again stressing the point that it wouldn't make a difference to the total outcome!

Bond
03-29-2002, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Perfect Stu
[B]

As is stands, the PS2 would still be way ahead of the Gamecube or Xbox even if it launched at the same time...

X-Box - 7,924 - 179,931
PSone - 5,045 - 82,624
GameBoy - 1,347 - 49,283

Not. Even. Close.
Yes... Yes... The PS2 is King... *bows*

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 07:06 PM

X-Box - 7,924 - 179,931
PSone - 5,045 - 82,624
GameBoy - 1,347 - 49,283

Not. Even. Close.

Theoritical the PS2 would be ahead of the rest if this numbers reflected a time when they were all released at the same time, but the fact is you really can't predict how any of them would sell if they were all released at the same time. So hush.:p

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 07:07 PM

*Talks in Bond mode*

Was there a point to that? :D

Well, yes BJW, I wouldn't, what are you insinuating?

That you are BSing

Bond
03-29-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by BreakABone

Theoritical the PS2 would be ahead of the rest if this numbers reflected a time when they were all released at the same time, but the fact is you really can't predict how any of them would sell if they were all released at the same time. So hush.:p
I actually think the earlier release of the Playstation 2 in North America helped the Xbox sell more. Basically beacuse the Xbox and Playstation 2 are alike whereas the GameCube is different. PS2 being the crowd favorite would have soaked up all of the market share from the Xbox on launch day.

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 07:10 PM

Uhhh.... now Shadow, tell BrakABone he's wrong... and that it doesn't matter...

(wait, you won't because BAB is defending GCN)

*shrugs*

*walks away*

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 07:14 PM

Uhhh.... now Shadow, tell BrakABone he's wrong... and that it doesn't matter...

(wait, you won't because BAB is defending GCN)

*shrugs*

*walks away*

Actually I'm not defending anything I'm just trying to show you can't predict WHAT Could have happend with what did happen.

If you see it as GCN defending be my guest.

Bond
03-29-2002, 07:17 PM

The Xbox has probably sold around what, around 120,000 + units in Europe, whereas the Gc has sold 1.8 M
I didn't think the GameCube had come out in Europe yet?

Perfect Stu
03-29-2002, 07:20 PM

You're kidding, right? You're really digging deep into a never ending pile of BS now...

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Bond

I didn't think the GameCube had come out in Europe yet?

Yeah right now I'll leave that as a typo because I believe the 1.8 million is referring to the Japanese market but he forgot to include that. So um hopefully he meant Japan and isn't making up some sale figures.

Bond
03-29-2002, 07:24 PM

Yeah right now I'll leave that as a typo because I believe the 1.8 million is referring to the Japanese market but he forgot to include that. So um hopefully he meant Japan and isn't making up some sale figures.
That's what I thought, but you never know...

By the way I just found out that you actually can't change the titles of topics. I tried to change this one to 'Xbox Outsells the GameCube in February' but no such luck. It just changes the 'post subject' and that's it. :(

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 07:31 PM
BJW, I really don't give a damn if you think I am BS'ing or not!
Do I really need to prove whether or not I would do something? I thought not.

But just incase you are interested, yes, I would tell BAB that you shouldn't always look at IF's, such as the theoretical situation, but I really couldn't be bothered, said that so many times before.

Bond, yeh, that was a typo, in an earlier post I meantioned that 1.8M was the amount sold in Japan.

Bond, there actually is a way, you know at the bottom of the page there is a drop down menu called admin options? Click on that, and click Edit thread, then from there, you will have the option of also editing the main title of the topic, and not just the sub heading of the original post.
You don't need to be an admin to utilise that, just the mod of your own forum, I used that option once.

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 07:37 PM
BJW, I really don't give a damn if you think I am BS'ing or not!
Do I really need to prove whether or not I would do something? I thought not.

You always BS...

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 07:41 PM
Rather like you do?

BreakABone
03-29-2002, 07:43 PM

You always BS...

This is getting good..

*Grabs some popcorn*

An X-Box discusssion I could just watch

Do carry on gents

*BaB finds a nice comfy seat*

*Sits back*

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Rather like you do?

if you don't care if I think you are BSing... why did you reply to my post?

:)

Ridley
03-29-2002, 07:47 PM

This is getting good..

*Grabs some popcorn*

An X-Box discusssion I could just watch

Do carry on gents

*BaB finds a nice comfy seat*

*Sits back*

Ooooh, a cat fight ;)

*sits down with Doritos*

Awww, they're not doing anything now :mad:.

*picks up a book and throws it at Justin*

BJW : Who threw that?

It was Shadow_Link

BJW : That son of a ....

*watches them go at it*

Ahhh, that's better :D.

C.H
03-29-2002, 07:48 PM

You always BS...

I never find Psycho BS, he normally makes very good posts, however. I've noticed your always finding an excuase to call members BS. And psycho isn't BS at all, he just making a few points and questioning what he thinks is wrong. I see nothing BS in his posts, why you must always call so many members BS or fanboys when they argue with you i don't know.

Shadow_Link
03-29-2002, 07:49 PM

if you don't care if I think you are BSing... why did you reply to my post?

:)

OH! YOU GOT ME!

How frivolous can one get?

I merely labled you what you labled me, I still don't care about the opinions you have of me in the least.

Ric
03-29-2002, 07:52 PM
Right this is annoying me now, BJW I may not hold a position of power here at GT but I feel I speak for the people when I say SHUT THE HELL UP. Stop acting like a child, I respect the opinions and views expressed by everyone however this has got way out of hand, can we get back on topic please, The End.

BigJustinW
03-29-2002, 07:58 PM
lol, Ric, go to the GCN forum...

As for Shadow Link... if you don't care, don't reply.

Ric
03-29-2002, 08:01 PM
lol, Ric, go to the GCN forum...

*ahem* Yes, my mistake, you may wanna check back there though. No one's perfect.

Bond
03-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Right this is annoying me now, BJW I may not hold a position of power here at GT but I feel I speak for the people when I say SHUT THE HELL UP. Stop acting like a child, I respect the opinions and views expressed by everyone however this has got way out of hand, can we get back on topic please, The End.
Ric, I'm beginning to get the feeling you like to feed on people.

If you want to comment on this debate then you should have been here during the debate. All you do is make comments before and after the debate and act like you've won. It's getting rather annoying.

Also once again this topic has been blown way out of proportion.

C.H
03-29-2002, 08:11 PM

If you want to comment on this debate then you should have been here during the debate. All you do is make comments before and after the debate and act like you've won. It's getting rather annoying.

Have you ever considered the possibility, that, perhaps, just maybe. He hasn't checked the thread or even the forums at that, since he made his first post in this thread.

Bond, people can post in a thread at anytime they want, just because there post is at the end of a thread, it doesn't decrease the value of there post. And anyway, if someone disagrees with him, they can always make another post.

Trust me, the same thing has happened to me many times, just because i don't come to the forum as much as other people. When i do finally make another post in a disscussion. It's normally to late, and no one reads it or replys to it.

Ric
03-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Back on page 1 I made a comment, I made that comment THIS evening, I come back 30 mins later and we are on 3 pages, therefore I have been here 'during' this debate.

I then have a conversation on MSN with some 'friends' and agree with what they say then express my opinion. I see no fault in that. I do not go into the business of 'winning and 'loosing' a conversation, I merely express my opinion, if people interpret that as me 'winning' then it must mean I am doing something right surely.

Bond
03-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by C.H

Have you ever considered the possibility, that, perhaps, just maybe. He hasn't checked the thread or even the forums at that, since he made his first post in this thread.

Bond, people can post in a thread at anytime they want, just because there post is at the end of a thread, it doesn't decrease the value of there thread. And anyway, if someone disagrees with him, they can always make another post.

Trust me, the same thing has happened to me many times, just because i don't come to the forum as much as other people. When i do finally make another post in a disscussion. It's normally to late, and no one reads it or replys to it.
I realize that. But I've noticed this on many occasions. I could very well be wrong, but I just wanted to add the information that I have collected.

Ric is a very intelligent poster. I'm just wondering if it's a habit or a coincidence.

C.H
03-29-2002, 08:20 PM

I realize that. But I've noticed this on many occasions. I could very well be wrong, but I just wanted to add the information that I have collected.

Ric is a very intelligent poster. I'm just wondering if it's a habit or a coincidence.

Fair enough, i personally haven't noticed this as a habit, Ric's normally one to post his thoughts as soon as he can.

Ric
03-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Ric is a very intelligent poster.

Thankyou for the compliament.

I assure you it is purely coincidence, the reason, our difference in time zones, you see at the 'Peak posting time' for American members, I am in bed, therfore lots of people get their word in before I am able to next make a post, and since I dont ususlly post till the evening, it makes a longer time period between my posts.

Bond
03-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Ric

Thankyou for the compliament.

I assure you it is purely coincidence, the reason, our difference in time zones, you see at the 'Peak posting time' for American members, I am in bed, therfore lots of people get their word in before I am able to next make a post, and since I dont ususlly post till the evening, it makes a longer time period between my posts.
Ah yes... I never thought about the different time zones. Thanks for clearing that up Ric. :)