PDA

View Full Version : Firefly and Serenity

Ginkasa
08-25-2005, 11:41 PM
So who here has seen the show Firefly and/or plans to see Serenity? Its bloody awesome, and heck yeah I am!

For those not in the know, Firefly is a sci-fi show created from Joss Whedon, the same guy who did the whole Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel thing. It ran on the Fox network in 2002, but they handled it very poorly (showing episode out of order, and some not at all, etc.) which caused the ratinsg to suck, so they cancelled it.

The fans the show had managed to get, however, made a huge ruckus, and Whedon himself was not too pleased, either. Through a bit of pleading and massive DVD sales, Whedon got himself a movie deal for Firefly, called Serenity. The movie was originally planned to premiere earlier this year around May, but everyone realized that is a very very stupid thing to do, so they decided to delay it to September.

They did, however, have very very many preview screenings (I think its up to, like, 60 or something) that were all advertised on Firefly fansites, so that only the really hardcore (more or less) fans would know about it. That way those fans can spread how good the movie is and create a very nice word-of-mouth buzz months before the official release.

The reason this big deal is being made is because Firefly is a really good show. Unlike the other sci-fi shows out there that deal with giant conflicts and stuff, Firefly is more like a western; the characters even speak like their from the 1800s and ride horses occasionally. The most apt comparison would be the anime Outlaw Star, if you've seen that (there's even a naked girl in a suitcase...).

Anyway, that's pretty much all I knew before I saw the series before I watched, and I was convinced enough to go out buy the DVD set recently and I am the most please I have ever been in a purchase. This show is, quite frankly, the best thing ever. I watch very little TV on a regular basis, but if this show were still on, I'd be in front of that TV every week, no negotiation.

I implore everyone who has not seen this series to watch it. Rent a disc off Netflix if you don't want to buy it. Find someone you know who has it and borrow it. You can not miss this. I love it.

/me shrugs and walks away

Acebot44
08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I watched all the episodes of Firefly when they first aired on Fox and I thought it was great. I'm planning on watching the movie too.

Neo
08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I've heard nothing but praise for Firefly.

Angrist
01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
This night I saw Serenity and I have to say: It was the best movie surprise ever.

I thought this movie would be an average action movie, but it turned out to become 1 of my all-time favorites.
What do I love about it? It's not the action, though the action is good. It's not the special effects, even though they're awesome. So I guess it's the acting and the story. And the characters. All characters are brilliant, as is the performance of the actors.
The atmosphere and interaction between characters reminded me of the first 2 Alien movies, which is good.

I guess I'll have to watch Firefly!! And pray for another movie of this kind. Not a direct sequel, because that won't work.

MrCoffee
01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
around may or march last year I downloaded teh entire series and rented serenity oen of my favorite series/movies

Teuthida
01-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I watched the series and movie over the span of two days this past summer. Good stuff. I didn't care for the movie as a cap for the show though.

Happydude
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
***POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING FOR SERENITY***

the serenity that you're all talking about is the movie with the girl who can't remember things and then she remembers a lot of things on the dead world...thing?

***END POSSIBLE SPOILER***

if so, then that movie kicked ass! although a lot of people i know found it confusing.

Ginkasa
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I guess I'll have to watch Firefly!! And pray for another movie of this kind. Not a direct sequel, because that won't work.

Very very doubtful. The movie didn't do well in theatres, and Joss Whedon, the guy who created the universe and all, is going to do a few more things before he even thinks about doing anything more in the 'Verse.

*shrugs and walks away*

Dyne
01-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Nah, the movie wasn't nearly as good as the original show.

Angrist
01-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Awesome, then I'll have a great show ahead of me. :D

Today I found out that the movie uses the same characters as the series, how cool is that..... Maybe I should buy the DVD to boost sales and hope for a new season. :)

What I loved is that all characters are cool, there's not 1 annoying guy or 1 you don't care for.

Happydude
01-10-2007, 07:58 AM
*ahem* could anyone answer my question?

Angrist
01-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Yes Happydude, that's the one. :)

Happydude
01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
so is firefly based in the future then? and is it about the same girl?
what is the show about in general?

Teuthida
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
The series is set in 2517 AD and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a Firefly-class spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things".[4] The show explores the vicissitudes of people who fought on the losing side of a civil war, as well as the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. In addition, it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in a fusion of the two cultures, as well. According to Whedon, nothing has changed in the future: there are more people with more advanced technology, but they still have the same problems politically, morally and ethically.

Kind of find it odd that someone could enjoy the movie without watching the show; it's sort of like the last episode. Guess you'll love the series then.

Teuthida
01-13-2007, 06:19 PM
The Lost Tapes of River Tam (http://www.session416.com/)

These sessions shed some light on the on what happened to River while she was at "The Academy". The counselor in the video is played by Joss Whedon.

Typhoid
01-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I think I remember Firefly, was it on around the same time as Andromeda was still being aired?

I never got into the show, but now it sounds sort of neat.

Angrist
01-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Firefly lives :eek2:

This is awesome, Joss Whedon apperantly hasn't lost interest in his universe.... right? Or is this very old?

Btw it's funny that River is played by an actress from 1981, so she was 21 when they recorded Firefly and even older in Serenity. Playing a girl of... 15 or so? :)

Ginkasa
01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Its not that he's entirely lost interest, I don't think, its just that nothing has worked out so far. He has worked incredibly hard to keep it going; I mean, he got a major motion picture out of a cancelled TV series that didn't even finish airing its first season! Again, he's worked so hard, but nothing's really paid off.

I think he just wants to work on some other ideas, maybe even do some "finance only" projects before he does anything major with the 'Verse.

ALTHOUGH, he is apparentely working on some graphic novels that take place around the time of the show and movie (but not after). There are also some novels coming out, but those have nothing to do with Joss Whedon, and probably won't be worth readin.

*shrugs and walks away*

Angrist
01-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Ehm, more Firefly stuff: http://www.multiverse.net/press/pr20061207.jsp?cid=6&scid=9

They're going to make a MMOG of the Firefly Universe.... expect a craptacular game.