PDA

View Full Version : Official! 2 versions for sale in November

Jonbo298
08-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I read this on IGN and dslreports.com and dslreports.com summarized it much easier.

Details have been released concerning the Xbox360 gaming console launch. As expected, two versions of the console will be released, one retailing for $299, the other for $399. The console will be released on November 4. Details are as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
Xbox 360 console
Wired controller
Detachable faceplate
Xbox Live Silver membership
Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
Xbox 360 console
20GB detachable hard drive
Wireless controller
Wireless Xbox Live headset
High-definition AV cables
Ethernet cable
Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
Detachable faceplate
Xbox Live Silver membership

No standard HD in the base console is a big mistake. Did they not learn from what they saw when Sony made it optional?

Professor S
08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Sony! Meet your newest customer! How Microsoft could take such a huge step backwards after such a promising start is mind blowing. They've basically reduced the options for developers in using the HD to merely a giant memory card.

Jonbo298
08-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Its funny though how much they are claiming the 20 gig HD costs alone. I can get a 160 gig for under $100 easily

Bond
08-17-2005, 12:28 PM
I believe as one analyst said Microsoft is simply making a $299 base model so they can claim their console is launching at $299. No serious or right-minded person is actually going to buy the $299 base model.

Joeiss
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
They should just release like 10 of them worldwide, haha. Then the other millions and millions will be the $399 package.

Xantar
08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Nonetheless, it's pretty silly not to make the hard drive required in all consoles. Developers won't be able to use it to make loading times shorter or do effects like Blinx or what have you.

I also find it interesting that the base model doesn't have component cables. After all that hype that we have moved into the HD era and everything...

I really hope they're not trying to approach this like the PC market. Having too many options and accessories doesn't work so well here.

P.S. Did I just see Inigo Montoya saying that he....likes Sony?

Stonecutter
08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Wow, now that blows.

Europe is getting screwed. that's damn near $500 for the full system.

Perfect Stu
08-17-2005, 03:51 PM
No serious or right-minded person is actually going to buy the $299 base model.

you're kidding, right?

Madden 360! OMG it looks AWESOME! how much is the new XBox? $299, or $399 for a bunch of stuff that I dont care about? I'll take the $299, thanks. [/casual gamer]

Bond
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
you're kidding, right?

Madden 360! OMG it looks AWESOME! how much is the new XBox? $299, or $399 for a bunch of stuff that I dont care about? I'll take the $299, thanks. [/casual gamer]
I never claimed the casual gamer was serious or right-minded, did I?

Perfect Stu
08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
I never claimed the casual gamer was serious or right-minded, did I?

well they...or should i say...WE are VERY right-minded! :mad:

*hysterical crying*

Null
08-17-2005, 04:07 PM
doesnt matter what type of gamer would get it. they will be bought and it will split the userbase. theres no doubt about that.

even a 5gb hd in the small one woulda effectivly given them the ability to go full out on games. People wanting to save more game and options on it would then upgrade... even for prices as horrible as that.

and thats what the gamers get for having this big price issue war between PS3 and X360, one of the main arguments everytime was a price issue, when it was VERY obvious MS could not deliver all they were claiming at that price. and because that price made everyone so happy, now they've found a way to keep that price. at the expense of better features they now wont fully get.

Unless Sony changes thier mind on ther HD issue before release, i dont know if im getting any of the new consoles. maybe a nintendo for the zelda games. i dunno. online gaming was one of my main factors for the new generation. i was hopping they'd get console online gaming closer to PC's level. but its not to be it seems. one thing is for sure tho, i wont be getting any of these at launch this time.

Good ol PC, always comes standard with HD. :p

Jonbo298
08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
and with a much larger HD for cheaper to boot :D

Crash
08-17-2005, 06:26 PM
First 2 versions of XBox live, now two version of the console?

I aint buying **** until halo 3 or perfect dark comes out (and I aint buying PD for the crap they showed us!!!!)

this is going to make it okay for sony to charge $499.99 for their crap.

Nintendo is doing the right thing this time by having the console launch at a rumored 199.99 (maybe $249.99 after this crap!)

XBOX = DOOOOOOOOOOMED

Perfect Stu
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
PS2 will be $899.99, at least

Revolution? $89.99 tops

Teuthida
08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
wired...controller... :Puke:

Null
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
PS2 will be $899.99, at least

Revolution? $89.99 tops

phew! happy i got my PS2 before that price increase.

:p

wired...controller... :Puke:

you misspelt 'wireless' :p

Perfect Stu
08-17-2005, 07:58 PM
phew! happy i got my PS2 before that price increase.

:p

but...

D'OH!

Teuthida
08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
you misspelt 'wireless' :p

Nope. Meant wired. As in the $299 version comes with a wired controller and not wireless. Hence the vomitting. :p

Null
08-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Nope. Meant wired. As in the $299 version comes with a wired controller and not wireless. Hence the vomitting. :p

still something wrong tho....

one should be celebrating if it comes with a wired controller, who would want to waste money on a wireless piece o crap?

im pretty sure you spelt something wrong which makes it sound like that tho.

Teuthida
08-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Just assumed this coming gen wireless controllers would be the standard. Oh well.

Null
08-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Just assumed this coming gen wireless controllers would be the standard. Oh well.

they probably are. i wish they wernt, but i think all 3 will come with thoes god awful things.

Bond
08-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Just so everyone knows hard drive caching will still be enabled in the 360s that have a hard drive.

Professor S
08-19-2005, 04:21 PM
P.S. Did I just see Inigo Montoya saying that he....likes Sony?

Thats PROFESSOR Indigo Montoya, my good man, and I will hear you SAY IT!!! :P

And looking at the next generation, I am becoming a fan of Sony because they are doing what Microsoft did last generation: They're putting out a superior product in the face of competition. Meanwhile MS seems to be regressing into what Sony did last generation, which is put out an inferior, overpriced product that requires endless peripherals which sucks more money out of the consumer.

Now I know that the PS3 is going to be expensive, but I have no problem paying a lot of money for a superior product. I feel insulted when a company puts out crap and then expects you to eat it up because of name recognition (hence my refusal to purchase a PS2).

Sony has learned their lesson by having a serious competitor rise from out of nowhere, and Microsoft is completely ignoring the lesson that they taught Sony.

Meanwhile Nintendo is re-releasing the old 8-bit system, but with a new controller which will revolutionize the way that we play games... THE POWER GLOVE which will be attached to a utility belt which has buttons to dispense frosty cold beverages and Pez. It will be called the BATROLLER.

God I hate Nintendo and their dismissal of the Western audience. And Xantar, just so you know I realize that you will inevitably respond with a 3,000 word essay to refute that statement, but I'll save you the time by telling you now that I will merely respond to it with this statement: "Nintendo sucks ass and you know it. Give up the ghost." :D

The way the whole next generation is developing is literally blowing my mind. Hmmmm, I think I might even feel a column coming on...

Xantar
08-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Thats PROFESSOR Indigo Montoya, my good man, and I will hear you SAY IT!!! :P

"Nintendo sucks ass and you know it. Give up the ghost." :D

Oh yeah? Well the proper spelling is Inigo Montya. No d. So nyah to you, "professor." :p

Just so everyone knows hard drive caching will still be enabled in the 360s that have a hard drive.

Great. So caching to reduce load times will be availble, but only if the game detects a hard drive attached to the Xbox. Do you have any idea how hard it is to design a game where everything that gets loaded is done differently depending on whether or not there's a hard drive? Neither do I, but the developers talking on the GameSpot boards do. And they're not happy.

At a guess, I would say that dynamic loading is either going to be non-existent or horrifically hard to develop (or maybe some games will just require the hard drive and make everything easier for us).

Bond
08-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to design a game where everything that gets loaded is done differently depending on whether or not there's a hard drive?
Apparently Microsoft has developed an easy way to do it. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Jonbo298
08-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Powerglove for the win.

The ghost lives and I will enjoy it

Professor S
08-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah? Well the proper spelling is Inigo Montya. No d. So nyah to you, "professor." :p

Really? The correct spelling is Inigo Montya? I did not know that... :D And my username at PVG was INDIGO Montoya, so even though I misspelled it the first time, in this case I am technically right. So I will give myself a cookie. Abd so you know, calling me "professor" in quotes (and lower-cased no less) does not count.

Powerglove for the win.

I'm glad someone gave that little gem some respect. I was very proud of it. ;) :D

Teuthida
08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050819l.jpg

Jonbo298
08-20-2005, 04:52 PM
:lol: except for the Crazy awesome part. Could've choosed better word(s) IMO

DeathsHand
08-21-2005, 02:52 AM
:lol: except for the Crazy awesome part. Could've choosed better word(s) IMO

Awesome is a hip word with the kids these days...

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
08-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Awesome is a hip word with the kids these days...
I still prefer "gnarly" and "keen", thank you very much