PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Crash
06-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Man this movie looks good. The more I see it, the cooler it looks.

when tom cruise was filming in virginia, he stopped in a dairy queen and saw a collection jar for some girl who was injured in an accident and needed money to pay medical bills. Tom cruise plunked down $5000.00 cash into the collection jar. Tom Cruise is the man.

Anyways... MOVIE LOOKS FREAKING AWESOME!

Jonbo298
06-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I've been wanting to see it ever since I saw the first teaser trailer. Considering its Spielbergs last alien'y movie, he cant screw it up now ;)

Acebot44
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
It's going to be awesome and Tom Cruise is the man.

MuGen
06-10-2005, 05:08 PM
So I once was walking out of a shoprite and saw a collection for American Cancer Society... I put in $20 and then pulled out a cigarette and started smoking, and walked away...

gahaha.... thats like an Oxymoron Gesture.....

Crash
06-10-2005, 05:32 PM
he's just paying for his future medical technology

Happydude
06-10-2005, 07:21 PM
i wanted to read the book...but it's too thick :p

but i definetly can't wait for the movie.

Krypton
06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
the movie looks absolutely insane

awesome special effects too.

Su-Yin
06-10-2005, 10:11 PM
*gets excited*:p
im probably going to watch mr and mrs smith tonight...war of the worlds isnt out in aust yet :(

BreakABone
06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
*gets excited*:p
im probably going to watch mr and mrs smith tonight...war of the worlds isnt out in aust yet :(

Well it isn't out in the States yet either.. so don't feel bad

DimHalo
06-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think Tom Cruise is an excellent actor (not the greatest), but pretty good. Unfortunately I probably won't get a chance to see it until it is out on video.

BreakABone
06-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Well, I saw a preview for this movie when I went to see Batman Begins.

It looks really really interesting. The only thing that caught me is there seems to be a lack of real action. I expected this to be like one of those big sci-fi alien invasion type movies. Its more like a survival movie.

Crash
06-17-2005, 03:29 AM
I'd say mystery survival if I had to guess

Spielberg ALWAYS puts mystery in his movies.

Canyarion
06-17-2005, 05:05 AM
I thought it was already out in Holland. :confused: Maybe only in Belgium? :unsure:

I think it's a pretty bad time to release, with great titles as Star Wars and Batman competing.

Canyarion
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Tell me what it's like tomorrow. No spoilers please. I'm thinking of going to this movie with my girlfriend, if it's not too much mindless action.

Ginkasa
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm going to see it later tonight! Ah, the perks of working in a movie theatre ^_^

/me shrugs and walks away

Crash
06-28-2005, 02:13 PM
have you seen a movie you like Link?

Ginkasa
06-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Huh? Well, yeah, I should hope so :hmm:

Canyarion
06-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I've seen a lot, actually, why Crash?

DarrenMcLeod
06-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah, this movie looks grrrrreat.

Kyuzo - stop smoking. You had it in your display pic and it makes you look like a fool, and the fact that you took a photo of yourself with an unlit cigarette for coolness points made it look even less cool.

Fox 6
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, I saw a preview for this movie when I went to see Batman Begins.

It looks really really interesting. The only thing that caught me is there seems to be a lack of real action. I expected this to be like one of those big sci-fi alien invasion type movies. Its more like a survival movie.

:confused:

Action ?

LINK (http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/)

Trailer #3 seems to have action. fighter planes, explosions, tanks, soldiers, and wired alien tenticles things seems like action to me.

Perfect Stu
06-29-2005, 01:40 AM

it's a trailer...

I'd wait until I see the entire movie to make judgement on that. the trailer just gave us a taste.

Canyarion
06-29-2005, 03:29 AM
So Link, tell us please!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to see it this weekend (half price with coupons :D) and my expectations are high.... :(

Ginkasa
06-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Okay, I just got back (we had to wait until everything was closed and stuff before we could start watching it).

It was great. It was awesome.

Mostly.

BAB: You shouldn't be disappointed. There is a lot of action, although it might not be what you were expecting. There's lots of explosions and running and stuff, but not so much in the department of actually fighting the aliens. You get a few glimpses, but this movie focuses enitrely on Tom Cruise's character, and he's not a soldier. There's a point in the movie where Tom and crew are right beneath the top of the hill. Right over that hill is a giant battle between the army and the aliens. You don't ever see it, because Ray (Tom Cruise) never goes over that hill. You can only hear it and see some fighter jets and missiles and stuff go over.

The whole movie's pretty much like that. The aliens appear without any real warning. One minute Ray is inspecting a hole in the ground, the next has the Tripods rising up and blasting people into dust (literally).

The whole movie just follows Ray and his kids as they try to not get killed. If there's something they don't know, neither do you. While it is a bit disorienting since, well, you never really find out a whole lot, it does keep War of the Worlds from becoming just another alien movie and moving beyond to something greater.

It doesn't keep up, though. It starts to wind down and just kind of end. The ending just...sucks. I can't say why without spoiling it (which I will soon, but not now), but it just doesn't satisfy...

SPOILER

Ray and Rachel, his daughter, come out of this basement they've been hiding in and find the world covered in some red vines that are fertilized with human blood. I was expecting... I don't know. That the world would end up being changed or something. I don't really know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what happened. Ten minutes after this image of the complete alteration of the landscape, the aliens die. What do they die from? The flu. Or AIDS. Or the cold. Some disease. Whatever. Their immune system couldn't handle our germs. So they died. And that's it. That's how the alien threat is eliminated. The chicken pox. I'd figure they'd have immunizations.

Then Ray's son, who was previously thought killed after he went over that hill into the battle, suddenly walks out his mom's house and hugs Ray. Ray looks incredulously and smiles. Double-you, tee, eff. The bloody hill flew up int flames, and the kid survived without a scratch. No explanation as to how he survived.

Conclusion: Spielberg is a [insert five letter word that begins with "p" and ends with "y"]. He can't even let one single main character die. I mean, its alright to have a happy ending. But to have one character go over a hill that explodes into flames only to walk away unscathed? And to hide it from us until the end of the movie so we et the impression he's dead, but woops! Not really! Joy!

Awful.

END SPOILER

So, besides the ending sucking majorly, the movie's great. If the movie is shown on the Cine Capri (the largest non-IMAX screen in Oklahoma), I'll have to make sure I see it on that.

I give a 9 out of 10 (would be a nice round 10 if it weren't for that awful awful ending).

Fox 6
06-29-2005, 12:31 PM
SPOILER

Well, to be fair the aliens dying from our germs was true to the book. Thats the way the aliens are defeated in the novel. Sure its not the best way to end a big movie like that but if you going to do it, do it right.

SPOILER

Crash
06-30-2005, 03:37 AM
SPoiler

Spielberg is a [insert five letter word that begins with "p" and ends with "y"]. He can't even let one single main character die.

I was thinking the opposite, I loved when the lady carrying the baby goes up in smoke.... bout time some bitch is killed, no one else has the balls to show a women get killed in a pg-13 summer blockbuster... let alone a baby

end spoiler

The movie was the next best thing to perfection... yeah, sudden ending, but that is what spielberg was going for, make the audience exhausted.

Loved every minute of the movie!

Awesome things about the movie:

anyone notice how freaking awesome the van driving down the highway was. the camera passed the car like 3 times in a circle without breaking away. How'd they do that? It was freaking cool!

The military actually used ground forces, not like crap independence day, where only jets can fight in a war...(in reference to ID4) duh, lets send 300 jets at em, instead of firing missiles from 200 miles away.......(that was before they knew they even had fighter plane aliens too)

i like how spielberg did not sugar coat human-panacking mob mentality...

Thumbs way up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginkasa
06-30-2005, 04:02 AM
SPoiler

I was thinking the opposite, I loved when the lady carrying the baby goes up in smoke.... bout time some bitch is killed, no one else has the balls to show a women get killed in a pg-13 summer blockbuster... let alone a baby

She's hardly a main character...

Crash
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
yeah, I know.... I just thought it was cool.

Null
06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
through out the whole movie, i kept thinkin, Wheres Gorden Freeman!?

Movie could easily of been called Half Life 2 the movie and still worked.

Ginkasa
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
...What about it was similar to Half-Life? (I've never played either game).

Null
06-30-2005, 03:52 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/16/hl2screen.jpg

:p

BlueFire
07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
The movie was grand although I do agree with Link on some things. I liked the theme of survival :]

Professor S
07-02-2005, 09:43 AM
*SPOILER*

I've seen the original movie and I love the ending. Its an existential masterpiece. It questions our supremacy on this world and in the universe and reminds us that even as the beings on the top of the food chain, we are beholden to nature for our existence. In the end the greatest battle being faught on earth was bewteen two things we don't truly understand and reduced us the helpless bystanders. Its a giant ego-check.

I will agree with Link, though, that they should have let a main character or two die, just to drive home the point that no one really has control over their own lives or their environment and both can be taken away at any time.

As fot the vines? I guess they were supposed to be some sort of metaphor. I'll have to see the movie to comment on them.

*end spoiler*

Happydude
07-02-2005, 10:01 AM
me and Gimpy saw the movie last night, it was cool...and yes, i agree...the ending SUCKED!

overall though i would give this movie an 8/10

that girl is ANNOYING!

Acebot44
07-03-2005, 01:23 AM
It was pretty good. Music could have been much better though. 8/10.

KillerGremlin
07-03-2005, 01:35 AM
I saw it.....it kind of lacked plot, but in retrospect, do we need to justify everything?

And, yeah, Tom Cruise escaped death maybe one-too-many times, and the ending could have been better, but overall I think War Of The Worlds was a fantastic summer blockbuster. Was it Batman Begins..nah. But, it had enough moments that I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

Ginkasa
07-03-2005, 02:36 AM
I saw it.....it kind of lacked plot, but in retrospect, do we need to justify everything?

And, yeah, Tom Cruise escaped death maybe one-too-many times, and the ending could have been better, but overall I think War Of The Worlds was a fantastic summer blockbuster. Was it Batman Begins..nah. But, it had enough moments that I recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

You know, I don't really think Tom Cruise escapong death is a real complaint. I mean, yeah, most people would have died, but there would be some, through either luck or skill, that would have survived. Obviously the movie just focused on a guy who happened to survive.

The scene I've seen referred to a lot about this point is when the Tripods first start popping out of the ground and blasting people. Yeah, Tom Cruise is one lucky guy to have not been hit, but he wasn't the only one. He was just lucky...

The only real problem I have with the whole bacteria thing is just how it as presented. I could have bought it if it hadn't been explained by a narrarator right at the very end. The way they did it, it just felt like the writers were forced to come up with some way for these invinicible aliens to be defeated. I know the original book had them die like that, that's just how it feels.

KillerGremlin
07-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Oh, and was mentioning god at the end of the movie really necessary?

Seemed almost contradictory to..well, I dunno...the gist of the movie?

Jason1
07-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Yea, I kept thinking HL2, HL2, all through the movie. The similarities were rather striking. Even the way the Tripods/Striders vaporize people...Great movie, but you've gotta wonder why the monsters are so damn similar...

Jason1
07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Oh and one other thing that bugged me...

SPOILER I SUPPOUSE, BUT THIS WHOLE THREAD IS A SPOILER ANYWAYS SO IT PROBABLY DOSENT MATTER....

What was up with the part where they were reunited with the rest of the Family in Boston? I mean, wasnt the world pretty much annahilated? Then you see the rest of the family walk out of their completley undamaged homes, completley unscratched, wearing their nice clothes and looking compltely normal. Made no sense.

Bond
07-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh, and was mentioning god at the end of the movie really necessary?

Seemed almost contradictory to..well, I dunno...the gist of the movie?
How is God contradictory to the gist of the movie?

MuGen
07-03-2005, 10:05 PM
God's creatures and organisms defeated the invaders... the same organisms and illnesses we've grown immune to. Thats why it's called War of the Worlds and didn't focus on the military fighting... It showed suffering and how civilians would go through such a tragedy, and not at a military perspective, which is why I liked the movie so much. They braved it out until they found out the aliens couldn't survive in our planet.

I give the movie a 9/10 but of course I never give 10's....

Professor S
07-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Yea, I kept thinking HL2, HL2, all through the movie. The similarities were rather striking. Even the way the Tripods/Striders vaporize people...Great movie, but you've gotta wonder why the monsters are so damn similar...

Thats because HL2 borrowed the design. feel and basically the friggin' plot from War of the Worlds. Half Life 2 is what it might have been like if the aliens had won. Notice all the gear that the aliens wore? Those weren't scuba tanks filled with whatever gas they breath, if you look closely they were gas masks for filtering bad stuff, like pathogens, out...

This isn't a shot on HL2, even though I thought it was a tad overrated, its just that pretty much every theme and idea has been done already and most plots are rehashes with a twist. HL2's twist was the "what is the aliens survived from War of the Worlds", and its quite a good one. Being completely original is nearly impossible anymore, so it comes down to how well you rip off someone else :D

Yan
07-05-2005, 05:49 AM
that girl is ANNOYING!

I wanted to slap her.

I went and saw this today and I have to say that I don't really like it. Of course, the special effects were fabulous but that's about it.

bobcat
07-05-2005, 06:04 AM
I thought she did a good job.

At being annoying :D

MuGen
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Well Dakota Fanning did an excellent job playing the role of a young girl amidst all this turmoil. As much as you say she's annoying, you have to think how you would act in those kind of situations, I could safely say for myself, that if aliens attacked... I wouldn't be so cool and collected, I'd be screaming my ass off.

Yan
07-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Well Dakota Fanning did an excellent job playing the role of a young girl amidst all this turmoil. As much as you say she's annoying, you have to think how you would act in those kind of situations, I could safely say for myself, that if aliens attacked... I wouldn't be so cool and collected, I'd be screaming my ass off.

True, I never denied that she is an excellent actress. Perhaps I should say that the character that she was portraying annoyed me a little... :p

MuGen
07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
What was up with the part where they were reunited with the rest of the Family in Boston? I mean, wasnt the world pretty much annahilated? Then you see the rest of the family walk out of their completley undamaged homes, completley unscratched, wearing their nice clothes and looking compltely normal. Made no sense.

The whole world wasn't annihilated... They didn't get to annihilate the whole world, because they couldn't survive on our planet. As soon as the tripods and aliens started crumbling to the Earth's bacteria, the military could shoot them down. If the whole world was annihilated, why would there be soldiers still fighting, and helicopters. Those chain of events couldn't have lasted for more than a 4 days... 5 days tops.

Happydude
07-10-2005, 12:35 PM
i actually meant the girl is annoying...in all the movies i've seen so far with her.

Man on Fire
War of the Worlds
Kill Bill vol. 3 (i think) can't remember.
and i'm pretty sure i saw her somewhere else.

and she also scares me...she looks....wierd.

Ginkasa
07-11-2005, 02:04 AM
There is no Kill Bill vol. 3... And I don't think Dakota Fanning was in either of the Kill Bill movies...

Bube
07-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Maybe you saw her in Hide and Seek. It's a pretty recent movie.

Happydude
07-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Maybe you saw her in Hide and Seek. It's a pretty recent movie.
THATS THE ONE! thank you!

bobcat
07-14-2005, 07:05 AM
THATS THE ONE! thank you!
I'll never teeeeelll.....

Is that the movie? I can imagine her being a little bitch in that movie

Happydude
07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
I'll never teeeeelll.....

Is that the movie? I can imagine her being a little bitch in that movie

it's the one with robert deniro (or however you spell his name). where she makes a "new friend".

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
07-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Happydude pretty much said my feelings on the movie too....not bad at all....except for the damn girl and her ear-splitting voice and gift at being incredulously annoying.

One scene that REALLY bothered me...oh btw SPOILERS.....i suppose, even though its been out for a while....

yeah, when they were in the town w/ the van and the windsheild had a hole in it. Some guy runs up and tries to open up the glass w/ his hands.....i was just like.... :errr: