PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Movie Reviews

Professor S
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I have had it with movie reviewers. They constantly spoil the plot of the story in their reviews with no warning and think that by not giving you the last 10 minutes they have committed no foul. It has gotten to the point that I can't read movie reviews that aren't any more than a paragraph out of fear that the entire story will be ruined.

The reviews of Batman Begins are absolutely horrible in this aspect. Without thinking, I accidentally read a reviewers summary fo the first 30 minutes to an hour of the movie before I stopped myself. I don't know if he spoiled even more of the plot. Now I have the pleasure of knowing exactly what will happen when I see Batman Begins and feel like I'll have wasted 50% of my ticket purchase.

Are movie reviewers idiots? Do they not think that maybe someone would like to read a review of a movie without a damn plot summary? Or are they just too lazy and untalented to actually write a long review without reiterating the source material?

Here's a sample of what I mean:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000946415

Here is an excerpt from the review ***SPOILER WARNING***

After a black-and-white credit sequence, the movie immediately presents us with Bruce Wayne in two periods of his life: as a tike of 8 about to experience his first brush with fear and the life-altering trauma of witnessing his parents' murders, then as a lost soul in a hellish prison in the Far East. Tormented by the murders of his parents on the streets of Gotham, Bruce has traveled the world to educate himself on the criminal mind.

He is rescued from prison by a mysterious warrior named Ducard (Liam Neeson), who teaches Bruce to master his emotions and gives him the mental and physical discipline to fight his enemies. Eventually, Ducard reveals that he wants Bruce to join the League of Shadows, an underground vigilante movement headed by the stoic Ra's al Ghul (Ken Watanabe). When Bruce refuses to battle evil with evil, he becomes the League's mortal enemy.

Bruce returns home to take up residence in his parents' country manor, with the family's trusted butler Alfred (the always affable Michael Caine) assuming the role of manservant and mentor. Bruce finds his father's once philanthropic Wayne Enterprises now in the hands of a greedy CEO Richard Earle (Rutger Hauer), and Bruce's beautiful childhood friend Rachel (Katie Holmes) has become an assistant D.A.

Gotham is a city with futuristic elements yet bears more than a little resemblance to the Depression Era. (Remember that Batman first appeared in DC Comics in 1939.) The old town is overrun by a crime gang headed by Carmine Falcone (Tom Wilkinson). Seemingly, half the city is on the take. The only apparent honest cop, Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman once more disappearing chameleonlike into a role), complains that there is nobody to whom he can rat out the bad guys.

Gradually, Batman, a one-man force for good, comes together. Bruce discovers that Wayne Enterprises' Applied Sciences division, headed by resourceful Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), has developed all the tools he'll need to fight crime. These range from a survival suit of nearly impervious body armor to an indestructible car that becomes the Batmobile. His Batcave turns out to be a literal one, a damp and dark area underneath the southeast wing of his manor where bats roost.

***END SPOILER***

I HATE MOVIE REVIEWERS

BreakABone
06-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I know what you mean... most of the movie isn't spoiled for me through reviews though... following a movie for some time and having the script will do that to you...

But if you are mad at this guy, I wouldn't even touch the Ebert and Roeper review where they describe to you pretty much the entire main plot point. Up still the final battle, which they tell you who he fights and where... I was just like... wow...

And then there are other reviews that give away a part of the movie I won't discuss since it is important but eh... once you see the movie and re-read the reviews, you will know

On the same hand, people complain that movie trailers do a good job of ruining the plot as well.. and in some cases it is pretty true.

Happydude
06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
actually, i would say about 75%-85% of trailers (maybe more) don't ruin anything...they just build up suspense.

KillerGremlin
06-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I can't even stand commercials anymore. The commercials for Spiderman 2 showed about half of the fight scenes. And by the time I got to see the movie.....it was like I already had seen all the fighting sequences.

BreakABone
06-10-2005, 12:05 AM
I can't even stand commercials anymore. The commercials for Spiderman 2 showed about half of the fight scenes. And by the time I got to see the movie.....it was like I already had seen all the fighting sequences.

Between the trailers and commercials.. one pretty much saw the entire Spiderman. Well atleast the good parts.. I mean we saw him unmasked.. scenes from all the fight scenes.. the part where Harry unmasks him.. and more footage from the end that doesn't necessarily mean much in commercials but when you see in theatre

Professor S
06-10-2005, 12:17 AM
The biggest spoiler I've seen in commercials and trailers is for the upcoming movie The Island. If you are not aware of the plot and don't want it spoiled, don not read further.

The commercials and trailers tell you the whole plot twist. These people are not winning trips to an island, but are instead clones living in a controlled environment, and that when they "win" they are actually being killed for body parts for their parent doppelgangers. Don't you think this would ave been a big surprise for viewers? A surprise that would have given the movie a lot of buzz? Instead the studio decided to hjust tell you the whole plot. Now I have no desire to see the movie.

Canyarion
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
That's whyI try to stay spoilerfree. :) No reviews, trailers, pictures for me. :D