PDA

View Full Version : No wonder Ep. III was so good.

Crash
05-29-2005, 12:35 AM
George lucas got some help from someone who actually knew a thing or two about directing. LOL

George Lucas allowed his friend Steven Spielberg to design some of the action sequences, including Yoda's duel with Darth Sidious, and Obi-Wan's fight with General Grievous. Spielberg also consulted on other scenes, such as the climactic battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin.

I knew something was fishy. Let Spielberg direct episode -1, -2, and -3 they'll be smash hits!!!!

Ginkasa
05-29-2005, 12:45 AM
One of the most annoying things you do is post quotes without any links or anything that would lead us to believe the little news blips are anything more than your imagination. Could you please fix it?

/me shrugs and walks away

Crash
05-29-2005, 12:51 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/trivia

GameMaster
05-29-2005, 12:58 AM
I can verify that, I read it in my latest issue of GQ in the article about Hayden and Episode III. It also says in the article George actually had to reduce on one of Speilberg's ideas for the battle between Anakin and Obi Wan because it was so big.

Crash
05-29-2005, 01:09 AM
oh, god, spielberg is the freaking man. I can't wait until war of the worlds.... spielberg has only ever let me down on the lost world....

funny fact: (spoiler for sith)

Samuel L. Jackson (Mace Windu) said he knew that he must die in this film, so he told George Lucas he would only do the film if Mace Windu goes out in a blaze of glory and not "like some sucka". On an American late-night talk show, he confirmed that he did indeed have a meaningful death scene; and he does not go out like "some punk".

Teuthida
05-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Now all he needs to do is have someone write the dialogue for him.

Jonbo298
05-29-2005, 07:38 AM
hmm, you are correct :p :D

Dyne
05-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Actually, during my second time through watching, I was actually wanting more from the battle between Vader and Obi-wan. It really didn't seem as epic as it could be. I wouldn't have minded if Spielberg's idea's panned out more.

Stonecutter
05-29-2005, 03:22 PM

That was almost exactly what I was going to say.

Ginkasa
05-29-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121766/trivia

The IMDB trivia page is hardly reliable. I've heard rumors that SPielberg helped with the movie, but this is the only site to report it as fact. Every other website (including TheForce.net (http://www.theforce.net)) has denied the rumor as false.

GameMaster
05-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Spielberg did help. The false rumor was he was a co-director. He was not and both parties agree on that. At the time, Spielberg wasn't busy with anything so George flew an artist over to Spielberg so they could collaborate on ideas for certain scenes.

Crash
05-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Actually, during my second time through watching, I was actually wanting more from the battle between Vader and Obi-wan. It really didn't seem as epic as it could be. I wouldn't have minded if Spielberg's idea's panned out more.

yeah, they said some of spielbergs ideas were rejected by lucas because they seemed too big...

lucas sucks

hold me anakin, like you did by that lake on naboo so very long ago

crap dialog writer

Professor S
05-30-2005, 12:03 AM

Well, if Lucas did allow someone to write the dialogue for him, it wouldn't have been the first time. Empire and ROTJ were both written by the very capable Lawrence Kasdan.

I think we'll all agree that Mr. Kasdan should have returned to write Episodes 1-3.

Stonecutter
05-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Well, if Lucas did allow someone to write the dialogue for him, it wouldn't have been the first time. Empire and ROTJ were both written by the very capable Lawrence Kasdan.

I think we'll all agree that Mr. Kasdan should have returned to write Episodes 1-3.
Certianly 2 and 3.

William Shakespeare couldn't have saved EP 1.

(Honestly as bad as the dialog is, it's compounded by the fact that Hayden Christensen can't act)

Edit: And please let's not get into a discussion about wheather or not shakespeare was actually a good writer.

Canyarion
05-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Spielberg? Cool. :D If it's true.

Ginkasa
05-30-2005, 12:30 PM
(Honestly as bad as the dialog is, it's compounded by the fact that Hayden Christensen can't act)

I'm willing to bet that that is a very ignorant statement produced from an opinion based on seeing Christensen only in the Star Wars prequels. Have you ever seen Shattered Glass? Christensen portrays Stephen Glass very very well in that movie. Enough to get me to buy the film on DVD. I've heard the same about Life As a House, although I haven't seen it myself.

I'm fairly certain it is Lucas' directing and writing that caused Christensen to be less than stellar in the Star Wars movies. I mean, look at Natalie Portman. She got an Oscar nomination for her role in Closer, but she causes me physical pain every time she opens her mouth in RotS.

I think Hayden Christensen can act, he just wasn't given the chance in the Star Wars movies.

Unfortunately, I think the prequels have pretty much killed his reputation...

Professor S
05-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I actually thought that Hayden did an excellent job portraying Anakin, considering what he was given to work with. Take the Ep. 2 dialogue when he's describing killing the Tuscan Raiders. The dealogue is sophomorish to say the least, and Hayden actually pulled off a nice little bit of characterization from it.

I'm an actor myself, and anyone who says that there are no bad plays, only bad actors, doesn't act. Its impossible to make gold from a pile of ****. Hayden did as best as one could expect.

Canyarion
05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, that's just what Link said. :p