PDA

View Full Version : addiction to the internet

Su-Yin
05-27-2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Doctors-wean-web-heads-off-internet/2005/05/27/1117129897883.html

"The real world meant nothing to me when I was fully involved with online games," Ms Liu told the South China Morning Post, a Hong Kong newspaper. "I lost track of time, space, hunger, pain, everything."

The clinic, run by Dr Tao Ran at the Beijing Military Hospital, has 14 young patients at any one time. They are mostly forced to go by parents who are worried about their day-and-night sessions on interactive web games. The course costs 400 yuan ($64) a day.

so many stories of addiction to online games and the internet from asian countries...young ppl dropping dead?? wth?? South Korea, the world's most wired nation, has already reported young people dropping dead from lack of sleep during game sessions.

Happydude
05-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Chinese education places so much emphasis on test scores that the children cannot grow up psychologically healthy.

chinese people need to lighten up, IMO.

Teuthida
05-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Dropping dead from lack of sleep...ok...perhaps I should be worried...

KillerGremlin
05-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Hmmm....

I haven't read many studies that talk about death from lack of sleep, but I know your body slowly starts to shut down after like a week or two without any sleep. Still....that seems a little farfetched. I'm going to do some research, and get back to these LIARS!

Reminds me of those Everquest guys...peeing in bottles so they don't leave their computers, and then killing themselves when their player dies. Hahahah, nerds.

Teuthida
05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Most I've went is 4 days without sleep. Though I guess if I were playing a FPS all that time keeping my heartrate up for so long, death would be inevitable. Plus these guys' hearts aren't probably too healthy either. Can't imagine they get much exercise playing games for so long.