PDA

View Full Version : The Sound Revolution

Acebot44
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Link (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-05-19-hss_x.htm)

HSS could be used to make laptop speakers that blare music to the person in front of the screen, while no one else could hear it. It could allow a grocery store to play audio advertisements that seem to come from, say, the display of Duracell batteries, yet the ad could be heard only by the shopper in front of the display. An HSS-equipped car could play one CD for the parents up front and another for kids in the back. Neither would hear even a whisper of the others' music.

I never imagined something like this would happen. I can't wait till it is adopted into mainstream society.

Even though its old, I thought it was cool

GameMaster
05-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Tht would be great for me, I could listen to my music without disturbing other family members. I could also listen to music others might find offensive.

The Germanator
05-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Umm...Headphones anybody?

Acebot44
05-22-2005, 11:59 PM
The point is that you would get the same effect as wearing headphones without actually wearing them. Also, the military already started using this for their own purposes.

The Germanator
05-23-2005, 12:01 AM
The point is that you would get the same effect as wearing headphones without actually wearing them. Also, the military already started using this for their own purposes.

I understand, it just seems that like...is wearing headphones really that bad? I dunno, I guess it is more convenient.

GameMaster
05-23-2005, 12:03 AM
For places like cars, I would prefer this technology over headphones. For the computer though, I could side with Germanator and just whip out a pair of comfortable headphones.

KillerGremlin
05-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Sound f*cking rocks. I love physics.

So they're just shooting two ultrasonic waves at the listener...that's brilliant. I can't wait to see this stuff in the mainstream, that could be incredibly useful. Of course, I wonder if it distorts the sound at all. It'll be interesting to compare that audio to some nice speaker set ups avaliable now. The science behind noise-cancelling headphones is incredible as well. I've been meaning to get me a pair of those, but good ones are a few hundred dollars.

dropCGCF
05-23-2005, 12:37 AM
I read about HSS a coupld of years ago, and the prime example for it would be advertising.

Imagine walking past a coke machine with four other people and having it ask JUST you if you're thirsty.

Happydude
05-23-2005, 02:45 AM
2003, eh?

don't remember reading about it then...but very cool stuff.

Jonbo298
05-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I read about that awhile back. Sounds awesome but gonna be awhile before its implemented

Canyarion
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Would be great for jokes and secrets. A machine could tell you something that your friends can't hear. You'll laugh, they'll be confused. :)

dropCGCF
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
This makes me wonder if the "Revolution" Nintendo is talking about is not over graphics, but the much-overlooked sound.