PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars *Spoilers*

Crash
05-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Freaking awesome movie. Better than previous two by leaps and bounds. Actually has some decent acting and SOME emotion, not just stupid robots and people both talking like robots. Great flick check it out. Pics to follow.

Here's Solid Snake and I posing with a cool vader and a midget imperial guard.
http://img281.echo.cx/img281/2254/15ro.jpg

Me and a Storm Trooper
http://img288.echo.cx/img288/2199/23vt.jpg

Canyarion
05-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Ah, we didn't have a thread about episode 3 yet? :)

I'm going to see it in 9 days. :D
I hear it's great, answers a lot of stuff.

Happydude
05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
seeing as how i haven't watched any of the other SW movies...or at least haven't payed attention when watching them, i don't think i'll be seeing this one until after i see the rest in the order that they were released....and that's not going to be anytime soon, i'm way too lazy to go rent them.

Joeiss
05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Crash, that isn't a stormtrooper, it is a sand trooper. Get it right.

I'm seeing this movie at noon! I can't wait, I'm super pumped!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Crash
05-19-2005, 11:10 AM
here is a video of the first HALF of the line

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36U1RDICUZZ7K0A2V5H0DB34PE
20mb

Teuthida
05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Why go to the theaters when you can...

...Lucas has spies everywhere...

...got nothing on me George...

Jason1
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Kinda got roped into going to a midnight showing last night...

I was glad I did. It really is the best of the newer 3, although that really isnt saying a lot. Better than any of the original 3? Probably not. Overall though, I was pretty impressed.

MuGen
05-19-2005, 02:05 PM
This movie has been +repped by Sony... good work Lucas.. LOL

DeathsHand
05-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I as well saw the movie at a midnight show, and it WAS amazing...

To me it never really felt like it dragged, and the few bits of awkward dialogue didn't really take away from the rest of the movie...

The worst part was that awkward "Noooooo!" with the whole camera pulling out deal... Come on, can't anybody think up a better way to have someone express their emotion in that kind of situation without a "NOOOOO!!!!"...

Crash
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I as well saw the movie at a midnight show, and it WAS amazing...

To me it never really felt like it dragged, and the few bits of awkward dialogue didn't really take away from the rest of the movie...

The worst part was that awkward "Noooooo!" with the whole camera pulling out deal... Come on, can't anybody think up a better way to have someone express their emotion in that kind of situation without a "NOOOOO!!!!"...

agreed... vader can't say no very well... heh

shoulda been like. "Oh I did? Dammit!"

DeathsHand
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
agreed... vader can't say no very well... heh

shoulda been like. "Oh I did? Dammit!"

If you ask me, he shouldn't have replied with words...

He should have broken free (or maybe they would have just let him free, on account'a they were finished 'making' him), asked the question, got his answer, and then started all that force-crushing of the crap around him... Or at least think up a better thing to say than "Noooo!" without turning him into a heartless little machine...

I think some people were expecting him to be like... As soon as he's in his suit, he's a heartless bastard!!!

Whatever though, it was kinda a goofy moment but the rest of the movie makes up for it...

Crash
05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
not ever being a rabid star wars fan, not going nuts over the original trilogy, i like this movie more than all star wars movies

i wish they'd make the last 3 movies, so I can see the jedi republic rebuilt. They wont do that though. no conflict there.

Joeiss
05-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I thought that Vader yelling "Nooo" was great. It just shows how Sidius has him under his full control, and his complete siding with the Sith.

DeathsHand
05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
I thought that Vader yelling "Nooo" was great. It just shows how Sidius has him under his full control, and his complete siding with the Sith.

While I agree with you somewhat, what with the Emporer having him under his control, and of course that would be a very, very big realization for Anakin... He went through all that, wasn't able to stop the vision in his dreams, and now he's some sort of freak robot-man... And I really felt that...

I guess the problem is, anytime anyone in any movie, game, or TV show yells "Nooooo!" in a serious dramatic way, it just comes off as cheese, and the writers taking the easy way out...

Crash
05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
not true, I thought the NOOOO that sam yelled in return of the king was freaking awesome!

Swan
05-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I saw it this morning at about 9:30 for school, freakin' awesome. I knew within the first 10 minutes that I liked it more then the other two prequels. Some things bothered me though. I thought the battle with Grievous was a bit short. I also found it a bit annoying that the final battle was with two of the same colour lightsabers. I don't know why but it really bothered.

I have one question, what would happen if you pushed the buttons on Vaders chest?

DeathsHand
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
I have one question, what would happen if you pushed the buttons on Vaders chest?

He would say one of the various recorded messages...

Teuthida
05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
I shall watch it soon. Good quality it be.

Acebot44
05-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Thank god nobody's flocking to the movies. I'll probably be seeing Friday Night/Saturday Morning or whatever you'd call 12:15. I love watching movies at night :)

Crash
05-19-2005, 09:12 PM
the only thing that bothered me was the stupid lizard thing that sounded like a wounded dog.

i also knew within 10 minutes that it was better than the first two. I was surprised the the increased robot talk didn't annoy me and still was funny. great movie!

Joeiss
05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
I saw it this morning at about 9:30 for school, freakin' awesome. I knew within the first 10 minutes that I liked it more then the other two prequels. Some things bothered me though. I thought the battle with Grievous was a bit short. I also found it a bit annoying that the final battle was with two of the same colour lightsabers. I don't know why but it really bothered.

General Grievous is no match for a Jedi Master, that is why the light saber fight was as short as it was. Though Dooku trained Grievous well, Obiwan is just the man.

If anything, I thought the same coloured light saber fight was great. It showed that Anakin truly turned his back on the Jedi. Plus, Old Ben gives Anakin's saber to Luke in Episode IV, and it is blue, so they had to tie that in.

Teuthida
05-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Just finished watching it. Better than I thought it would be.

In Cartoon Network's Clone Wars Grievious was a lot more fearsome and a much better fighter. He easily battled and killed four Jedi at once. Nor was he at all cowardly like in this movie.

Why are all droids such dweebs? I'll never understand.

The lizard's noises sounded like the aliens in Pitch Black that used sonar.

They have spaceships, lightsabers, and clone armies...yet they couldn't perform a c-section? If Anakin had a basic knowledge of medicine maybe he wouldn't have gone so crazy.

And the emperor is one ugly dude.

Blackmane
05-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Padme didn't make it because of Anakin's anger. It choked the life out of her. Remember the doctor said that medically she was perfectly healthy, and they couldn't explain why she was dying. Then, when Vader awakens, the emperor tells him that he killed Padme in his anger. Thats what I think makes the whole thing so horribly ironic, Anakin was trying desperately to save Padme by getting stronger, but in the end, it was himself who he needed to save Padme from.

Teuthida
05-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying sort of. If Anakin didn't try to change things, everything would have worked out fine. So I guess fate is predetermined...

And I know its a staple of the series but I really can't stand the way Lucas makes transitions from scene to scene.

Seth
05-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the spoiler assholes.

GameMaster
05-20-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm seeing it tomorrow morning while all the annoying kids are in school!

I can't wait! Soon I'm going to get the Darth Vader voice changer mask and the replica FX lightsaber!

Bube
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I already learned 2 things I shouldn't have, and I just scrolled down.. I come into this thread for opinions, not spoilers. Please mark spoilers.

Xantar
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
seeing as how i haven't watched any of the other SW movies...or at least haven't payed attention when watching them, i don't think i'll be seeing this one until after i see the rest in the order that they were released....and that's not going to be anytime soon, i'm way too lazy to go rent them.

Just see the third movie. The other two aren't worth it, and Episode III's plot isn't so complicated that you need to see two whole other movies to understand it. In fact, all you need to know is:

Anakin (played by Hayden Christiansen) - he turns into Darth Vader. Right now, he's a regular Jedi.
Padme (played by Natalie Portman) - Anakin loves her. He loves her a lot.
Obi Wan Kenobi (played by Ewan McGregor) - He trained Anakin.
Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious (played by Ian Mcdiarmid) - he's EEEEEEEEEVIL.
General Grievous (voiced by some tech guy) - he's an organic thing in a droid or something like that, and he leads the droid army. Personally, I think he's doing this because he's mad about having such a silly name.
Count Dooku (played by Christopher Lee) - he's even more badass than Sarumon. Unfortunately, he doesn't stick around long enough to get mad about his even sillier name.
Clone Army (played by Temeura Morrison) - they're a bunch of clones of Boba Fett's dad. And they dress like Stormtroopers because, well, that's what they are.

There's also Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu, but he's just a dude on the council. And there's also Yoda, but you don't need to know his exact history or anything. You can just sit back and watch him doing the Yoda thing.

Anyway, I liked the movie overall, and I didn't really like the first two that much in the end. It has some great moments. The first shot of the two ships flying along and then looking downwards to see moviedom's most massive space battle was well done. The lightsaber battles got a little rote towards the end, but they were also well done. The Order 66 sequence was awesome to behold, and John Williams outdid himself with the music there (you may not be able to sing the music from that part right now, but I guarantee that music had an effect while you were watching it). Obi Wan's last words to Anakin were touching and hit all the right notes. Plus, all the fanservice was fun to watch (although it got annoying after a while because there was this one woman to my right who did three little happy claps every time she saw something she recognized from the original trilogy. Lady, it's just a guy named Antilles!).

Moreover, there was some actual good acting going on in here. It won't win any awards, but Ewan McGregor was channeling Sir Alec Guinness almost perfectly. And I am now convinced that the Force was at work when Ian McDiarmid was cast as the original Emperor in Return of the Jedi. They both have scenes that they knock totally out of the park.

Samuel L. Jackson, unfortunately, is still completely wasted.

Now about Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman: there will probably be some debate about how well either did their jobs. Personally, I think they can both act just fine. Check out Christiansen in Shattered Glass or Portman in Closer for which she received an Oscar nomination (and deserved it). These are two young people who can act and can even look like they love each other. But the dialogue they are forced to speak! More experienced actors can get their way around Lucas' dialogue, but it's too much for these two lovers. And I can't help remembering how interesting all the sparks and one liners flying between Princess Leia and Han Solo were.

Anakin's turn to the Dark Side also ended up being murkier than it had to be. The scene where he swears allegiance to Darth Sidious went too fast. He had just killed someone, and then Lucas has him suddenly kneel down and swear fealty. I ended up sort of understanding on an intellectual level why he become Darth Vader, but it all could have been much better developed and that scene in particular should have taken more time.

As for the infamous "NOOOOO!" line: yep. Cheesy. The thing is, that kind of thing has been done before. When Qui Gon Jinn was killed in The Phantom Menace, Obi Wan screamed out the same way. In that case, it worked just fine. Ok, so Ewan McGregor is a good actor. How about Mark Hamill? He had the same reaction to "Luke, I am your father." But that also worked just fine. Something about the delivery and the camera work when Darth Vader said it just made the whole thing seem hokey. I think Deathshand has the right idea when he proposes making the whole scene silent right after Vader hears about his wife's death. Or if he had to say the word "no," it could have been a quiet moment where he falls to his knees or something and just whispers it out in between breaths. It's a shame, really, because everything up until that moment was just done so well from Anakin being left in a volcano to Darth Sidious finding him and laying a hand on his forehead to the transformation of his body.

Oh, and I was also starting to get annoyed by the screen wipes that were going on. Those kinds of things make sense when you're switching plot lines, but not when you're cutting in between scenes back and forth.

Overall, it was a good movie and a fitting end to the trilogy. Let's hope Lucas doesn't get any ideas about filming episodes 7-9 (he says he won't). Lucas may be the premiere special effects wizard, but I'm certain that another director, almost any other, really, could have done a better job with the acting, the dialogue and the pacing. Still, this one isn't bad. It could have been grand and great. It could have been as legendary as one of the original movies. But instead, it's just good. Frankly, if this hadn't had the name Star Wars attached to it, I think it would have still drawn attention but also would have ended up being just another science fiction action adventure to be forgotten in a decade.

GameMaster
05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Spoiler

I thought it was great. I have a new whole new respect for Obiwan in 4, 5, & 6 now that we've seen his part in 1, 2, & 3. I think Ewan McGregor should be edited into Obiwan's role in 4, 5, & 6.

And the arrogant ass award goes to... Mace Windu! Man, I was mentally clapping and rejoicing when Anakin sliced his arm off and Palpatine shocked the **** out of him. Through the whole movie, Mace is just bashing Anakin and telling all the Jedi how he doesn't trust him.

Mace is completley responsible for ensuring the Siths' revenge and the Jedis' downfall. If he hadn't been badmouthing Anakin from the day young Ani joined as a boy, the Council would've knighted him as a Master Jedi. Mace is a jealous piece of **** who is soley responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Jedi including Obiwan later, since Mace is the one who turned Anakin to the Dark Side.

Question: Why does using Force Lightining deform and age Palpatine?

I agree with other people on the absolute lack of onscreen chemistry between Natalie and Hayden. And not because they're bad actors, but because of the horrible writing. It was very hard for me to feel sorry for either one of them as the relationship crumbles because they just feel so not-in-love, for lack of a better word.

I thought Obiwan's lizard was cool. I hope he didn't die in that fall. :(

Another cool part was when Anakin totally thrashed Dooku's ass. Man, if I were Anakin, I would've spent a lot of time gloating after I cut his hands off. And instead of quickly taking his head off, I would've slowly inserted the lightsaber into his mouth and out the back of his head.

Darth Vader crying, "No" kind of kills his tough-guy persona but we have to remember that he's only been Darth Vader for a few minutes. :D

The movie is awesome. I might see it again.

Spoiler is over

Acebot44
05-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I thought the movie was ok. Hell, I'm not a Star Wars fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I was expecting this one to blow me away. Maybe my lack of experience in watching these films (Last time I watched the first trilogy was like 8 years ago and I never saw Clone Wars) set me up for something else.

I reeaaaallly dislike Lucas' segways or transitions or whatever you call them. 3 Parallel bars coming up from the bottom of the screen and fading into the next scene just got me out of the movie. The acting wasnt too great either, but that's nothing new to talk about. I never really got into the movies style.

But, I liked a lot of it. I couldnt keep up with the battles or anything, but it was enjoyable. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Oh and:

"AlamDV is a pretty old program, but it's great for adding lightsaber effects to videos and pictures. If you and your friends have ever made "duel" videos, or you have a picture of yourself holding a sword or stick, this is for you. If not, take a short video of you swinging something around and make yourself look neat with this program. In photoshop, adding a saber to each video frame would be a huge pain in the ass. This makes it easier. It's also good for other video special effects, in case you're an amateur filmmaker."

Link (http://fxhome.com/alamdv2/downloads/win/AlamDV2.1.5(Standard)_Installer.exe)

Joeiss
05-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Mace sensed darkness in Anakin, that's why he continually did not trust him, and did not make him a Jedi Master.

Ginkasa
05-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Its still good through a second viewing if any of you were interested.

/me shrugs and walks away

DeathsHand
05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Its still good through a second viewing if any of you were interested.

* Link1130 shrugs and walks away

I saw it twice on the first day, and I agree... Although some of it's flaws, such as the dialogue and such stuck out a bit more the second time through...

Typhoid
05-22-2005, 04:06 AM
I just saw it today, and I have to say I liked it.

*SPOILERS*

I admit, I would have liked it more if it showed him actually killing the children, but I guess implying is good enough.

I am happy that Jar-Jar Binks had no lines, and only 2 appearances. That made me pleased.

DeathsHand
05-22-2005, 04:43 AM
I admit, I would have liked it more if it showed him actually killing the children, but I guess implying is good enough.

Since the topic has a spoiler marking on it now, I'm not going to bother with another :p

I think not showing it was part of what made that scene as powerful as it was... I mean, you see that one kid kick some ass and then get blasted when Bail Organa arrives... And you do see Anakin kill a couple kids on the security hologram thing...

But neither of them were as powerful as when Anakin waltzed in the room, the kids asked him for help, he just stares and turns on his lightsaber... End of scene...

Both times I went, a few people (within earshot), as soon as the lightsaber came on, either gasped or muttered (in a shocked sorta way) something to the extent of "Is he gonna kill the kids!?"... I think actually showing it would've taken away a bit of it's effect...

Some things are better left implied or indirect-ish... Like love... "I'M SO IN LOVE!!!", "NO, IT IS I WHO IS SO IN LOVE WITH YOU!!!"...

Ginkasa
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
It works like the whole Tusken Raider thing in Episode II. When you just see Anakin kill those two or three and then only hear about the rest, you get some prety grisly images in your head. The same works with the Younglings.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I begin to think that III might replace IV as the #2 Star Wars movie. While ANH is certainly a better made film than RotS, the third prequel is much better it terms of what it adds to the entire saga and, well, the emotions of seeing it happen. Know what I mean? The lightsaber battle in ANH didn't mean anything in 1977, but now that we know the true extent of Vader's betrayal...

Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Episode IV - A New Hope
Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Dark Samurai
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Saw it on Friday and loved it, enough to get the Star Wars Trilogy, to continue the story (since I've never really seen them).

The only wrong for me, was the whole movie experience...

There was a guy sitting with his girlfriend that just loved the movie so much that he felt it necessary to ruin it for me and most of the crowd by going to sleep DURING THE ENTIRE MOVIE!!!! not only that but SNORING, very loudly I might add. His girl just sat there like a f*cking dumbass while he was in Dreamland, collecting Z's on the ground. Sony(Kyuzo) and I were contemplating on throwing my drink to his ass after the movie was over, but he woke up when the movie ended. When we were getting up, I heard him saying "Oh what did I miss?"

I'm thinking "THE WHOLE F*CKING MOVIE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!!" [/endrant]

Back to the movie...

I loved how Yoda kicked ass just walking in the room...

MuGen
05-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I was going to throw my funnel cake at his ass.

Dylflon
05-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Saw it. Few comments.

*EXTREME SPOILERS*

R2D2 managed to be totally badass. Like, come on. That droid took it to the hoop in the first part of the movie.

I love all the little bits that tie into the next few episodes. Like the immortality thing. That made me happy. I got a chuckle over how they decided to wipe C3P0's memory.

I thought Chewbacca's presence was completely and utterly pointless.

Some of the scenes with Anakin's turning seemed a little rushed. His inner struggle was never properly displayed because I believe Hayden Cristensen didn't do a good enough job of getting his character's emotions across in his lines. But his performance in this beats his performance in Episode II by leaps and bounds.

Joeiss
05-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I laughed when they wiped C3P0's memory, too. haha.

GameMaster
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Why did they?

Ginkasa
05-22-2005, 10:04 PM
He's talkative. They didn't want him sharing some information that could potentially prove damaging to the soon-to-be rebellion. Or whatever.

GameMaster
05-22-2005, 11:45 PM
So does that mean he won't remember any of his adventures and his relationship with Anakin in episodes 1-3?

GiMpY-wAnNaBe
05-23-2005, 01:21 AM
exactly, thats why he beats on R2 throughout ANH muttering that he doesn't know who the hell obi wan is and that R2 is a crazy.

Joeiss
05-23-2005, 01:43 AM
exactly, thats why he beats on R2 throughout ANH muttering that he doesn't know who the hell obi wan is and that R2 is a crazy.

Exactomungo

Crash
05-23-2005, 02:48 AM
Oh and:

"AlamDV is a pretty old program, but it's great for adding lightsaber effects to videos and pictures. If you and your friends have ever made "duel" videos, or you have a picture of yourself holding a sword or stick, this is for you. If not, take a short video of you swinging something around and make yourself look neat with this program. In photoshop, adding a saber to each video frame would be a huge pain in the ass. This makes it easier. It's also good for other video special effects, in case you're an amateur filmmaker."

Link (http://fxhome.com/alamdv2/downloads/win/AlamDV2.1.5(Standard)_Installer.exe)

to buy this program is 99 dollars.... if you really want to get it, I accept dlbns as payment, (PM ME)

Dyne
05-23-2005, 03:00 AM
You know what? I've been doing some thinking. I saw this with Dylflon and Typhoid, by the way.

The only reason this movie is so much better than the others is the fact that Yoda fights more than once. Seeing episode II in theatres, people just laughed at Yoda fighting. Also, seeing Darth Sidious fighting with a lightsaber was an happy surprise.

The ending went by too quick. And it didn't really explain why Anakin got a quasi-british accent all of a sudden. But the voice actor for Vader did a great job of copying Christensen's manner of speech when he spoke for the first time through the machine. It was a nice touch.

Oh, and that "NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" was great. One of the greatest in cinematic history, definitely!

Teuthida
05-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Twas James Earl Jones but he went uncredited for that part.

Dyne
05-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah, he was only credited in Return of the Jedi, right?

At first I thought they just brought in really good voice mixers, hahah. But then it was obvious they brought him back. Too bad he went uncredited.

Teuthida
05-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah. Heard that he felt that voice work wasn't enough to warrant a credit mention and asked to be uncredited for the other movies.

MuGen
05-24-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised Hayden's name wasn't in the credits for Episode VI return of the jedi..

I got the newer 2004 trilogy release and they changed Anakin in the end of Episode VI to Hayden instead of the old guy.... makes the story connect better.

http://www.davegeeonline.com/movies/star-wars-dvd-trilogy/return%20of%20the%20jedi.jpg
http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/archives/jedi.jpg

Dark Samurai
05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
First image isnt working...

MuGen
05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
nothing works for your computer DS....

Dark Samurai
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Well apperantly not... just make it work...

MuGen
05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Its there, I can't make something work when it's already working for me.....

Su-Yin
05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/The-Force-backfires/2005/05/25/1116950720606.htmlTwo Star Wars fans were critically injured in the UK when they tried to replicate the light sabres used in the movie by filling glass fluorescent light tubes with fuel, police and a news report said today.

...dangerous...

Typhoid
05-24-2005, 08:06 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/The-Force-backfires/2005/05/25/1116950720606.html

...dangerous...

I didnt see that part of the movie. :confused:

Anyways, to back up my previous statement, I think this one makes up for the crap filled mind numbing experience of the first two.

What sort of bugs me, is that the first 3, are spaced out over many many many years, and the last 3 are only a mere fraction compared to the time between Episodes I, II and III.

GameMaster
05-24-2005, 08:12 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/The-Force-backfires/2005/05/25/1116950720606.html

...dangerous...

Wow, those Star War fans were pretty mindless. They must've been too cheap to buy replicas or use computer editing.

Ginkasa
05-24-2005, 10:20 PM
What sort of bugs me, is that the first 3, are spaced out over many many many years, and the last 3 are only a mere fraction compared to the time between Episodes I, II and III.

Well, its only really the time between Episodes I and II that is really long. In the original trilogy, there are three years in between IV and V, and one year in between V and VI, so the three years in between II and III isn't very extraordinary... Its the 10 years in ebwteen I and II that throws it off...

What Lucas should have done was start the trilogy with Episode II. Everything in Episode I was hardly necessary to understand the saga as a whole. We didn't have to see where Han met Chewie in the original trilogy, we don't need to see where Obi-Wan met Anakin or where Anakin met Padmé, etc. There would have to be more explanation of Anakin in the opening scroll, and then more explanation of the Separatists within the movie, but it would have worked better with the trilogy overall...

Then Episode III should have been split in two. One focusing more on Anakin's corruption; the next on him actually turning into Darth Vader.

It would have been better.

DeathsHand
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, its only really the time between Episodes I and II that is really long. In the original trilogy, there are three years in between IV and V, and one year in between V and VI, so the three years in between II and III isn't very extraordinary... Its the 10 years in ebwteen I and II that throws it off...

What Lucas should have done was start the trilogy with Episode II. Everything in Episode I was hardly necessary to understand the saga as a whole. We didn't have to see where Han met Chewie in the original trilogy, we don't need to see where Obi-Wan met Anakin or where Anakin met Padmé, etc. There would have to be more explanation of Anakin in the opening scroll, and then more explanation of the Separatists within the movie, but it would have worked better with the trilogy overall...

Then Episode III should have been split in two. One focusing more on Anakin's corruption; the next on him actually turning into Darth Vader.

It would have been better.

* Link1130 shrugs and walks away

Me and my friend were discussing that the other day, and basically came up with the exact same idea you did...

Mostly based on Episode I being faaaairly pointless to the overall plot, and Anakin's turn to the dark side (after he actually became Darth Vader) going by just a little too fast...

Ginkasa
05-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Me and my friend were discussing that the other day, and basically came up with the exact same idea you did...

Mostly based on Episode I being faaaairly pointless to the overall plot, and Anakin's turn to the dark side (after he actually became Darth Vader) going by just a little too fast...

Yeah, I think its a pretty obvious solution and general consensus by those who think about it...

Fox 6
05-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Super great movie! The NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! was great. That Lizard did get annoying after awhile. I enjoyed the progresstion of technology and designs to what we are all familiar with from the originals.
That has to be the best field trip I have ever been on.

Crash
05-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Field trip eh?

Solid snake and I are hard at work, crafting a clone trooper helmet. We are still is the carving a mold stage, I'll take pictures at a later date when it doesn't just look like a block of plaster.

Professor S
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm surprised Hayden's name wasn't in the credits for Episode VI return of the jedi..

I got the newer 2004 trilogy release and they changed Anakin in the end of Episode VI to Hayden instead of the old guy.... makes the story connect better.

http://www.davegeeonline.com/movies/star-wars-dvd-trilogy/return%20of%20the%20jedi.jpg
http://www.beggingtodiffer.com/archives/jedi.jpg

Thats friggin' IT. I'm sick of Lucas going back and crapping on his earlier work. You can't find the original, non-cg Star Wars movies anymore, and now he goes ahead and simply starts changing the actors in his movies. Honestly, how little respect for his audience does he have if he can't trust that we will be able to suspend disbelief long enough to realize that the older Anakin is just that... AN OLDER ANAKIN.

George Lucas has lost his goddamn mind; but I'm a film purist so I might think its a bigger deal than most people.

DeathsHand
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Thats friggin' IT. I'm sick of Lucas going back and crapping on his earlier work. You can't find the original, non-cg Star Wars movies anymore, and now he goes ahead and simply starts changing the actors in his movies. Honestly, how little respect for his audience does he have if he can't trust that we will be able to suspend disbelief long enough to realize that the older Anakin is just that... AN OLDER ANAKIN.

George Lucas has lost his goddamn mind; but I'm a film purist so I might think its a bigger deal than most people.

That ghost isn't supposed to be an older Anakin which technically didn't even exist, it's supposed to be Anakin the last time he was actually Anakin...

And you're flipping out over a 'role' that's basically just shoved in at the end of Return of the Jedi...

Now if they altered the actually non-ghost Anakin (his head in the suit) to be Hayden Chirsitneinensen with a bunch of makeup on, then maybe I'd flip out and curse George Lucas with you...

Crash
05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
i'd like if they did that

Professor S
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
And you're flipping out over a 'role' that's basically just shoved in at the end of Return of the Jedi...

No, I'm flipping out over how Lucas has gone back and changed all of his original movies by adding in special effects, most of which look entirely out of place. Now every time I see the original movies, all I see is what he pointlessly added and it ruins the experience for me.

Changing the ending of ROTJ is just the final straw. I want to see the original movies that Lucas made and that I fell in love with as a kid, not his reworkings of them. For a rediculous comparison, its like Michaelangelo going back in his old age and adding arms on David or DaVinci adding eye brows to the Mona Lisa. That would be a desecration of their own work.

The main thing I'm angry at is that Lucas won't even give us the option. He won't let us buy the untouched originals, because he's arrogant enough to say to his consumer that we can only see what he wants us to see, regardless of which version we prefer.

Its infuriating, and once again I am a film purist so that is why I hate these
desecrated versions of the originals.

Teuthida
05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
David...with no arms you say?

http://www.knua.ac.kr/images/H.Renai/g%20mich2.JPG

Didn't even realize Mona Lisa was without eyebrows till you mentioned it.

Anywhoo, if I had a phone that supported polyphonic ringtones mine would be the sounds that lizard makes. Oh how sweet that would be.

Professor S
05-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Oh crap, thats right. David does have arms. It was Venus (I think) that had no arms, and if I remember correctly they were actually knocked off by accident or something, so lets just stick with the Mona Lisa comparison as that one actually makes sense. ;) :D

Still, I believe my point has some validity, even if I'm a fine art philistine. :D

Crash
05-27-2005, 11:53 AM
http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

http://darthdolenz.ytmnd.com/

http://unitedstatesofno.ytmnd.com/

http://cnnoooooooo.ytmnd.com/

:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:

MuGen
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Oh crap, thats right. David does have arms. It was Venus (I think) that had no arms, and if I remember correctly they were actually knocked off by accident or something, so lets just stick with the Mona Lisa comparison as that one actually makes sense. ;) :D

Still, I believe my point has some validity, even if I'm a fine art philistine. :D

It does have some validity to it, but there are some younger audiences that started the series on Episode I, and then bought IV, V, and VI to complete the story. For those people it's good to see the ANAKIN they saw, in Episode VI.

Besides, the real story behind it is that it is supposed to show the form of which they are last a Jedi. And seeing as Anakin turned the darkside at a young age, it's almost validated to show that young Anakin in the end of Episode VI.

If your a film purist, you should OWN the originals already and shouldn't have to worry about the remastered versions. But in any case, I understand your point of view. But for those who started on Episode I, it's better to see an Anakin you can recognize in Episode VI....

GameMaster
05-27-2005, 03:18 PM
http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

http://darthdolenz.ytmnd.com/

http://unitedstatesofno.ytmnd.com/

http://cnnoooooooo.ytmnd.com/

:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:

OMFG! :rofl:

Bube
05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
[Spoiler ahead]

I just watched it today. I really think it's the best SW movie, with the dark theme and all.

But one thing I didn't understand is, why did the clones go dark? Something I missed in II, maybe? Sifo Dyas was dark as well? Anybody?

Dyne
05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
The clones were under control of the empire. The Jedi were able to fight alongside, because beforehand, they were WITH the empire.

But then the emporer turned everyone against the jedi, namely the clones. It's like the US government turning the Army/Navy/Airforce against the FBI, or something.

MuGen
05-27-2005, 04:07 PM
It wasn't the Empire... it was the Galactic Republic. The Emperor or.. Sideous created a plot that incriminated the JEDI for trying to overthrow the Republic, namely the Supreme Senator. If you heard once Anakin turned, he holo'd every Clone and said,

"Every single Jedi is now... an Enemy of the Republic"

And as the senate went into hiding, Sideous gained supreme power over the Republic, making it a Imperialist kingdom, thus Empire.

Bube
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
The clones were under control of the empire. The Jedi were able to fight alongside, because beforehand, they were WITH the empire.

But then the emporer turned everyone against the jedi, namely the clones. It's like the US government turning the Army/Navy/Airforce against the FBI, or something.
Oh. Ok. Thanks.

I can't believe I couldn't understand that.

DeathsHand
05-27-2005, 05:01 PM
And as the senate went into hiding, Sideous gained supreme power over the Republic, making it a Imperialist kingdom, thus Empire.

The Senate didn't go into hiding... The Emperor needed them to help maintain control over some of the systems... In Episodes IV there are still talks of the senate...

"LEIA: I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a member of the
Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan..."

They talk about how the Rebellion will continue to gain support in the Senate, and then finally:

"TARKIN: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us.
I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council
permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept
away."

Professor S
05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Besides, the real story behind it is that it is supposed to show the form of which they are last a Jedi. And seeing as Anakin turned the darkside at a young age, it's almost validated to show that young Anakin in the end of Episode VI.

But if this is true, wouldn't Darth have been a Jedi or again be Anakin when he saved his son and destroyed the Emporer in Return of the Jedi? In tat case, he should be shown as an old man. In any case, I don't think the point was worth changing to begin with. Its just George wanting to constantly tinker with his original, far superior, works.

If your a film purist, you should OWN the originals already and shouldn't have to worry about the remastered versions. But in any case, I understand your point of view. But for those who started on Episode I, it's better to see an Anakin you can recognize in Episode VI....

The original versions were never made available on DVD, only on VHS, and the last VHS releases before DVD were of his reworked versions. I did have them on VHS, but they are just about worn out. I would like them on DVD, but George does not want US to have them.

DeathsHand
05-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Oh come now, Strangler, you know George Lucas will release an ultimate edition DVD box set once ROTS is out on DVD...

Featuring the originals, the special editions, the prequels, and the special edition remakes of the prequels that they were secretly working on all along....

And the christmas special...

Ginkasa
05-27-2005, 07:26 PM
There probably won't be a big special 6 episode DVD release until 2007, the 30th anniversary of ANH. And it most certainly won't have the Holiday Special. Or the original versions. Or even the versions we have now. It will probably have a little bit more tinkering (say, digital Yoda replacing the puppet in I, V, and VI?0 and stuff.

Although you were probably being sarcastic...

Canyarion
05-30-2005, 04:34 AM
I finally saw it last saturday. :D

It was great. Made me want to instantly see 4-6 again. An almost perfect link between the trilogies.

Did you see the Millennium Falcon? I did, tried to show it to my g/f but I was too late. It's flying in when another ship comes to a planet.
Didn't notice George Lucas though.

What did you think of the opening scene? I thought it was perhaps a bit too intense. I had this feeling that it wasn't real, as if they would suddenly wake up and it was a dream. Probably had to do with the dialogs, which were also there very poor.
R2-D2 was cool, but a bit over the top? Suddenly he could use a cell phone ( :rolleyes: ), defeat robots, catch things, jump.. oh well.

Very cool film.

The way Anakin turned evil was pretty good, but how he SUDDENLY did everything Sidious asked was a bit fast.

Some people don't think that Storm Troopers are clones, but I think it's pretty obvious now.

Edit: I didn't like all the jokes by the droids. "Run for your life!" Yeah right.

I loved the lizard thing, he was cute. At first I thought he was pretty stupid, but then I loved him. :p

I can finally appreciate Haiden in the last scene of RotJ. At first I hated it, but now I've gotten used to Anakin in this form. I liked him in RotS.

I don't think Palpatine suddenly ages and became ugly, but he lost his ability to mask himself. Remember that you see the ugly Sidious in Ep. 1 and 2. Palpatine was just a form to hide his true identity. I think.

Ginkasa
05-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Some people don't think that Storm Troopers are clones, but I think it's pretty obvious now.

Stormtroopers aren't clones. At least not all or even most of them (or even a large minority). What happened was that as the Empire spread, it became unnecessary to pay for all those expensive clones. So the Empire slowly began to replace their Clone Troopers with colunteers and conscripted soldiers.

The clones are just where they originated.

Canyarion
05-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Ooooooooooh ok. And how do you know this?

Blackmane
05-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Because Han Solo was enlisted as a Stormtrooper before he became a smuggler.

Ginkasa
05-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Because Han Solo was enlisted as a Stormtrooper before he became a smuggler.

No, I think he was an Imperial pilot... I could be wrong, though. As to how I know it (the Clone/Storm Trooper thing)... I read it. TheForce.net (or from a link at TheForce.net). I think it was from an interview with George Lucas so...

Dylflon
05-30-2005, 08:56 PM
I read the Han Solo trilogy when I was in elementary school.

Don't remember the Imperial pilot thing but it rings a bell.

Ginkasa
05-30-2005, 09:15 PM
From Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Characters:

...Solo enlisted in the Imperial Navy. For the next four years he trained at the Military Academy on Carida alongside such famous classmates as Soontir Fel and Mako SPince. He grauated at the top of his class and began service as a naval officer and TIE pilot.
While investigating a slaver freighter that had been carrying Wookiee slaves, Lieutenant Solo refused to kill the sole survivor when ordered to do so by his superior officer. Soon after, on Coruscant, Solo saved the same Wookiee from a savage beating at the hands of a construction overseer. For this second act of insubordination, he was drummed out of the Imperial Navy.

And that is Han Solo's career in the Imperial Navy... And his first meeting with Chewbacca. If anyone was interested... And pretty much nobody has ever been able to cover Han's and Chewie's meeting in detail since George wants to keep for himself, I guess. That's why you wouldn't really remember it much in either Han Solo trilogy...

Dylflon
05-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I remember it now! Mako's name jogged my memory.

And the Han Solo books completely cover Han's and Chewie's meeting.

Chewbacca was gambling in a seedy bar and I believe he was accused of cheating. One of the guys he was playing against was going to shoot him but Han shot the guy first. Chewbacca then began following Han and when Han told him to go away, Chewbacca told him that he now owed him a life debt and would follow him wherever he went.

I should reread those books.

Ginkasa
05-30-2005, 11:43 PM
And the Han Solo books completely cover Han's and Chewie's meeting.

Really? I haven't read the books, but I was told it was only covered in a small flashback... Ah well. Guess I was told wrong.

Dylflon
05-31-2005, 02:52 AM
Well the trilogy starts with Han as a child so it follows his life pretty extensively right up to his meeting with Obi-Wan Kenobi in the bar on Tatooine.

Canyarion
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
What do you think about Palpatine's shapeshift?

Thanks for the Han Solo info! :D

GameMaster
05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Question: Why does using Force Lightning deform and age Palpatine?

Canyarion
05-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes, you asked that and I anwered, now I want response! Please understand, people. :(

ZebraRampage
05-31-2005, 11:11 PM
I thought that Episode III was really good overall. I think that it tied in very well to ANH, but I do agree with Link1130 in that they should have split this one up and showed more of Anakin as Darth Vader. I also thought that Anakin kneeled down before Palpatine way too quickly, even as it was happening....I was just like...wait...just a second ago you were against him..and now you're kneeling to him. Too bad he didn't see Palpatine battaling with Mace Windu, with lightsaber, because when he came onto the scene, Windu had Palpatine cornered, making him seem weak..and in trouble..and making Windu seem like the bad guy.

Also, I thought that the part where Palpatine put on that Act 66...well I know that's not the correct name, but when he put that into effect..it was really...REALLY emotional. It was really awful seeing all of the Jedi go down like that, and whoever mentioned John Williams going overboard was right, because without that music the effect would not have been as strong. And then..the younglings...even I said...."oh my god, the children?" I was really shocked..and that just showed how dark Anakin had become. It was sad and very powerful. It was weird when only Yoda and Obi-Wan were the only two Jedi left...even though that's how it always was in IV - VI..I just wasn't used to there only being two Jedi. Revenge of the Sith really put into perspective what the true situation in IV - VI was. When I watch the original trilogy from now on, I will see how great the conflict truly is, and I know that the second Death Star being blown up will be even more powerful, and when Darth Vader leaves the dark side in the end. I was very pleased with Revenge of the Sith.

Swan
05-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Question: Why does using Force Lightning deform and age Palpatine?
I'm probably wrong but I thought it happened because Windu reflected the lightning off of his lightsaber.

Canyarion
06-01-2005, 04:07 AM
I'll say it again: I thought he lost his 'faked shape'. The ugly man was his true shape (as you could already see in ep. 1 and 2). Palpatine was just some mask thingy.

Swan
06-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Found a humourous cartoon.
Anakin Loves Padme (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/240527)

EDIT: Found another sweet one, rather long though.
Star Wars: ROTS (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/241108)

Canyarion
06-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Anyway, it seems that my theory wasn't true. :( Other pointed to the fact that Sidious isn't as ugly in ep1&2.

Crash
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
http://fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10709/31052005032707_starwarsfan.jpg

Canyarion
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Is his Lightsaber on?

Fox 6
06-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Is his Lightsaber on?
I think it's one of those plastic ones that stay in all that well.

BreakABone
06-13-2005, 05:29 PM
http://fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10709/31052005032707_starwarsfan.jpg

Darth Vader is being replaced by the new man in black..

http://wf.toonzone.net/WF/batman/episodes/DemonsQuestPt2/08.jpg

Though I do find it odd that two of summer's biggest movies stars heroes who witness the death or are around the death of their loved one. They go thrugh some suffering. And don black costumes to exact revenge and well scare the heck out of people.

Perfect Stu
06-15-2005, 09:11 AM
*SPOILERS*

Finally saw the movie last night...

...and I really liked it. Ewan McGregor was REALLY good...his exchange with Anakin near the end of the movie was really well done.

'You were the CHOSEN one!!!'

His reaction to finding out that it was Anakin who betrayed the Jedi was pulled off amazingly well. Him saving Padme and fighting Anakin, it just sets up the original Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader characters perfectly.

Sidius was super evil...and that's what I wanted. He seemed snake-like in persuading Anakin to join him...almost like he had him under a spell. I loved how he enjoyed watching Anakin kill Dooku...he was like "yes, kill this pathetic bastard and REPLACE HIM!"

The movie revolved around the transformation of Anakin Skywalker, probably the most crucial and important aspect of the Star Wars universe...so Episode III was an important one. And it ended being the best of the first 3 episodes by FAR...I would consider it the 3rd best of all of the 6...behind ESB and ANH.

:)

BreakABone
10-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Finally saw the movie in my school theatre this afternoon, free ticket couldn't pass it up.

Anyhow I thought the movie was decent, nothing realy special but not the biggest fan of the series in general.

I thought the action was great, but the pacing just felt weird and the movie was all over the place. The acting was ok but eh.

And honestly, I felt that Anakin was a friggin idiot in the movie, but thats just me.