PDA

View Full Version : Episode III: Tomato Watch

Professor S
05-11-2005, 09:59 AM
So far Episode III has earned a 93% on the Rottentomatoes.com, which is one hell of a rating by any standards.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Try as I might, I just can't help geeking-out about this movie. IMO, the Phantom Menace was a disappointment, but a necessary plot build-up for the eventual turn of the Republic into the Empire.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Clone Wars as Ewan McGregor played a great young Alec Guiness in his developing portrayal of Obi-Wan and even the guy who played Anakin (I suck at names) was pretty good considering the pathetic dialogue he was given. (At this point I just write off the dialogue completely in a Lucas writen movie, as Lucas should have employed Lawrence Kasdan as a screenwriter again as he did for "Empire" and "Jedi") Lucas also seemed to knock off a lot of directorial rust in Clone Wars too, as his camera work and us of CG are much better in Episode 2.

And now the tomato meter has me giddy in anticipation of Revenge of the Sith. Hell, as long as they give me plenty of lightsabers flying around and don't screw up the the unscrew-upable, namely the transformation of Vader and the formation of the Empire, I'll be happy.

How Not to Screw-Up Episode 3
by George Lucas

1) Anakin gets so evil and brutal that he makes Joseph Stalin look like Mother Theresa.

2) Kill a whole lot of people... I mean a whole lot... with, like, limbs and heads flying everywhere and stuff.

PS - Consider having Palpatine sear Mace Windu's butt-hole shut with his lightsaber, just to send the whole "evil" thing home to the audience.

Oh yeah, and Ian McDiarmit is also supposed to be amazing as Emporer Palpatine/Darth Sidious in this one, too.

DimHalo
05-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I was disappointed with Episode II. BUt I will probably watch this one when it gets onto tv or whenever my brother gets. Definately won't go see it in the theatre (although I saw Ep I in the theatre, twice)

Null
05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Ep 1 was dissapointing. Ep 2 sucked beyond control. and i expected very little out of Ep 3.

however past couple weeks i've been watching rottentomatoes carefully and got to admit i've been plesently surprised with its solid good reviews. and i feel myself getting actually excited for this movie the more good reviews it gets. i mean its at a 93% right now. i've seen movies that have been movies of the year only get 80%.

While it cant make up for ep 1 and ep 2, it can sure as hell be worth the wait to finally see a good star wars again.

Blackmane
05-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I am very excited about this one, especially seeing that it is getting very good ratings.

For reference, does anyone know what Ep. 1 and 2 got on there?

Null
05-11-2005, 11:28 AM
you can look up any movie you want.

Ep 1 - 62%
Ep 2 - 65%

Star Wars - 93%
Empire Strikes back - 98%
Return of the Jedi - 80%

thus far, Ep 3 - 93%

BreakABone
05-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Since when did we start doing Tomatoe watches at GT?

Anyhow, I haven't seen EP I or II since I'm not really a fan of Star Wars, but will see EP III since it looks good.

Crash
05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I heard on TV that is was going to be "Titanic in Space", that apparently is what George Lucas said. I have never seen a Star Wars Movie in my life but i'm seeing this, SW III, at 12:01 am.

EDIT: OOPS i'm in trouble now, sorry, this is really crashette! :D

GameMaster
05-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I liked all of them and this finale episode is going to be simply awesome and amazing. I'm trying to get a Darth Vader suit and replica lightsaber with sound effects on eBay in preparation for seeing the movie when it comes out.

Blackmane
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm liking that % more and more after seeing that it compares more to the first trilogy than this new one. I'm glad I got midnight showing tickets seeing as how they have already sold out at my theatre.

DeathsHand
05-11-2005, 03:31 PM
I've read a number of spoiler-filled reviews, and for the most part people say it's definately better than the other two prequels, some placing it above RotJ, and others even placing it above ANH...

Personally I enjoyed the two prequels enough for them to not dissapoint me... But I don't see how anyone could place 1 above 2...

2 had some of that horrible lovey dialogue, but 1 had that little kid... THAT DAMN LITTLE KID!!.... And also had probably the worst 'lovey' dialogue of them all... "Are you an angel?" and whatever else ensued...

Yeah though, excited, can't wait to see... Yippeeee!

Null
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I've read a number of spoiler-filled reviews, and for the most part people say it's definately better than the other two prequels, some placing it above RotJ, and others even placing it above ANH...

Personally I enjoyed the two prequels enough for them to not dissapoint me... But I don't see how anyone could place 1 above 2...

2 had some of that horrible lovey dialogue, but 1 had that little kid... THAT DAMN LITTLE KID!!.... And also had probably the worst 'lovey' dialogue of them all... "Are you an angel?" and whatever else ensued...

Yeah though, excited, can't wait to see... Yippeeee!

because, 1 may have had the annoying kid, but 2 had a horrible storie, the movie was long, mostly boring. horrible acting and some of the wost dialogue i've ever seen in a movie.

"i dont like sand, its course, not smooth.........like you..." we still make fun of that line to this day.

Ginkasa
05-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Clone Wars...knock off a lot of directorial rust in Clone Wars too.

No, wrong. It is Attack of the Clones. Clone Wars is an animated TV series. Get you facts straight, n00b.

/me coughs

Anyway...

I've got midnight tickets. It is happy...

/me shrugs and walks away

Professor S
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
No, wrong. It is Attack of the Clones. Clone Wars is an animated TV series. Get you facts straight, n00b.

That was just a geek test. You win, and by "you win" I really mean you lose at life. ;):D

Swan
05-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Me and Fox 6 (maybe Dylflon, not sure) are going to see this opening for school. Teacher rented a whole theater. Man he rocks.

Null
05-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Me and Fox 6 (maybe Dylflon, not sure) are going to see this opening for school. Teacher rented a whole theater. Man he rocks.

And people wonder whats wrong with our educational system. ;)

Dyne
05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
And people wonder whats wrong with our educational system. ;)

They exploited a loop in the educational system. Dylflon explained it to me. Quite interesting.

I can't remember if he got permission from his morning teachers or not.

Jason1
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Episode 1 was awful. 2 was an improvement, but still quite lacking...

Im actually getting excited about it, all these good reviews...im trying not to, because I dont want to be let down, but they hype just keeps coming....

DeathsHand
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
"i dont like sand, its course, not smooth.........like you..." we still make fun of that line to this day.

HAVE YOU EVER TOUCHED NATALIE PORTMAN!? MAYBE SHE IS SMOOTH LIKE NOT-SAND!!!

*runs away crying*

The Germanator
05-11-2005, 11:03 PM
HAVE YOU EVER TOUCHED NATALIE PORTMAN!? MAYBE SHE IS SMOOTH LIKE NOT-SAND!!!

*runs away crying*

I've touched Natalie Portman so many times in my mind. You're right, she's pretty smooth.

:unsure:

Swan
05-12-2005, 12:33 AM
They exploited a loop in the educational system. Dylflon explained it to me. Quite interesting.

I can't remember if he got permission from his morning teachers or not.
The exact reason that we are going, and I'm getting this off the field trip sheet, "...is to observe the uses of Science and Technology in Star Wars Episode 3"

And to Null, the Canadian education sysytem. :p

GameMaster
05-12-2005, 12:39 AM
What an awesome school and teacher. I have yet to experience something that cool. The coolest that happened to me was last year in high school my English teacher was out for the day and another English teacher at the school was substituting. The day before we had started watching clips from some films to observe elements of goth. One example was in Alien but instead of stopping after the clip, he let us continuing watching the movie for the duration of class. Nice guy.

My only reason for ever wanting to become a teacher is so that I could give kids a break and let them have fun learning.

Swan
05-12-2005, 12:45 AM
He is easily the best teacher I have ever had, not just because he is super cool and nice (which he is) but because he can teach the material well too. I've had teachers that can teach the material but are hard anus', and I've had teachers who were cool but couldn't teach the material to well.

Crash
05-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Unga de WONGA... best dialog in the whole first new movie.

BreakABone
05-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Well since this is a Rotten Watch (well the name I'm use to at another forum), I would like to point it, it is now down to 83% which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Null
05-15-2005, 06:51 PM
technically its UP to 83% :p cuz its low point the other day was 79%

BreakABone
05-15-2005, 07:00 PM
technically its UP to 83% :p cuz its low point the other day was 79%

Well someone isn't doing their job in this thread.

Its a watch and no one is giving updates, well I won't have any of you watch my back if you won't tell me what is happening :(

Ginkasa
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Roger Ebert gives the movie 3.5 out of 4 stars, so... Groovy. Also, RotS has fallen a couple percent down to 81%...

You know, if anyone cares outside of the E3 stuff (I don't blame you if you don't ;))

The Germanator
05-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Eh, can't say I trust Ebert for anything...He is the kind of guy that would give Team America: World Police a bad review, and that is a man that I don't respect.

Plus, I watch his show on CBS fairly frequently, and rarely agree with the things he says about certain movies.

Null
05-16-2005, 10:58 PM
his tastes have undoubtably gone down hill past couple years. we've been noticing that for a while.

Ginkasa
05-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Typically, I agree with him. He understands that there are artsy movies and fun movies and the differences between them. One time I remember he gave The Fast and the Furious (or the sequel, whatever) a thumbs up because, although it wasn't the height of film-making, it did provide the cool chases scenes that movie-goers would be looking for...

He does not, however, enjoy stupid comedies (not that all comedies are stupid; just that he dislikes the stupid ones) like Team America and rates accordingly... And I agree...

The Germanator
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Typically, I agree with him. He understands that there are artsy movies and fun movies and the differences between them. One time I remember he gave The Fast and the Furious (or the sequel, whatever) a thumbs up because, although it wasn't the height of film-making, it did provide the cool chases scenes that movie-goers would be looking for...

He does not, however, enjoy stupid comedies (not that all comedies are stupid; just that he dislikes the stupid ones) like Team America and rates accordingly... And I agree...

* Link1130 shrugs and walks away

I'd agree with you if Team America was a "stupid" comedy. Watch an episode of South Park or the South Park movie and if you can't agree that these are some of the most clever or intelligent political, but funny commentaries on television, than I guess we just have a difference of opinion. I feel the same way about Team America as I do about South Park, so maybe Ebert and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Ginkasa
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
OKay, maybe "stupid" was a little harsh... Maybe "base?" No... "crude?" Okay, seriously, I'm trying not to be insulthing. I'm just talking about jokes about, well, pubic hairs and stuff like that... You know... Puppet sex and stuff...

Which is what I (and what I have figured, Ebert) doesn't like...

So...

The Germanator
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Crude...Okay, I'd agree, but maybe I'm one of those people that thinks that crude can be funny and effective at certain points. I don't know, I am very biased. I'm of the opinion that Tre Parker and Matt Stone can't do much wrong until an episode of South Park doesn't make me laugh, and that hasn't happened yet...

Okay, back to Star Wars... I want to see it, but no one else here seems interested. What shall I do? Thursday everyone just wants to get wasted (which I do also, but I will see Star Wars while drunk...)

Ginkasa
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
See it Wednesday at midnight, then get wasted Tursday evening. Everybody's happy!

Swan
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Depending on how much I like the movie I am going to try and see it every weekend that I possibly can until I can either recite the movie word for word....or my eyes start to bleed.

The Germanator
05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Eh, I live in hicktown, Vermont (for college)...It doesn't even start showing here until sometime on Thursday here...Which is good in many ways because I doubt that even some of the premeire weekend dates will be sold out... (I saw Sin City on opening night and 20-30 people where there at the most) I could probably see it some other day no problem.

EDIT: Drunk now, hence any typos... :(